Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (287) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (464062 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:09am On Nov 07, 2023
ehizario2012:

Thanks I did that before making this post. Saw Barclays, saw first direct offering £175 even revolut @ £20 but I've once heard there's an offer of over £200 for switching... Above all,I want to get advice from people who have experienced it first hand - that's the major reason Nairaland trumps Google for me. The community.

That was natwest

It seems they have stopped it now

https://www.natwest.com/current-accounts/switch-your-banking-to-natwest.html?extcam=N_PPC_GGL_MTA_SWIQ12022_0_BP_natwest%20200_Search&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8qmhBhClARIsANAtbofXg-NvYgOMH4DjjnbFbturyf07XqbsK3nEk4Dhp_W_AviFibupTroaAiV3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mizGene(f): 10:29am On Nov 07, 2023
ehizario2012:
Good morning people, please I want to open a joint account for myself and wife for some target savings and bills payment. I need the banks that offer money on switching from other accounts (I have like 4 direct debits on Monzo) Thanks.
Nationwide has an offer right now.. Download Money saving expert app for current tips.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:39am On Nov 07, 2023
bigtt76:
How do you know your score?

From your profile under feedback

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:44am On Nov 07, 2023
Maureen4sure:
@Schoolhike

Thank you so much. Please,  i will like to get an idea from you regarding the Operations Officer (Scottish prison service).

My husband has been working as an SIA for over a year and a half. He said he wanted a stable job and applied for an Operations Officer (Scottish prison service).

He passed the first stage. He's at the stage of completing the online assessment.

What's your assessment of the job?

As my husband, I'm only looking out for him.

Hi,

Sincerely I don’t know much about prison jobs, most important is passing the assessment, should read and understand on the job description most important where they mention what criteria will be used for the selection process for the interview, can use gpt plus to given you some sample interview questions based on the job description/advert. (Paste job advert in gpt plus).

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MindOnMatters00(m): 11:57am On Nov 07, 2023
donshaddow:

Pls send email. I can't paste much info about me online.
Thanks

Hello bro, pls kindly check your mailbox. I sent you a message.

I await your response. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:50pm On Nov 07, 2023
I got a question and this is just out of curiosity as I no be student and I’m not trying to break any laws. All these Outside IR35 jobs that I see. They only pay to companies, so does that mean that a student limited to 20hours can still do them since payment will be made to a company’s account and not their account. Or will the company’s name have to be under the name of the person doing the job? Curiosity wan kee me. Who get the answer to this question
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 3:06pm On Nov 07, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
And to think info from nairaland is how I was able to process my visa from start to end on my own, it’s also here I advertised and sold off a huge chunk of my household items before traveling, and then finally got a job off a casual pointer here.

I should have joined this forum sooner 😭, really grateful to this community and thank you Duchess, giselle, miliki and co (if you’re reading this). Thank you so much, God bless you guys. ❤️

Thanks for searching and reading and sharing your experience
Just pay it forward.
Plenty nuggets on NL you just need to be patient and glean them .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 3:10pm On Nov 07, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
I got a question and this is just out of curiosity as I no be student and I’m not trying to break any laws. All these Outside IR35 jobs that I see. They only pay to companies, so [b]does that mean that a student limited to 20hours can still do them [/b]since payment will be made to a company’s account and not their account. Or will the company’s name have to be under the name of the person doing the job? Curiosity wan kee me. Who get the answer to this question

It is still self-employment, so ideally no.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by IcecoldDon: 3:40pm On Nov 07, 2023
Hello House and especially Oga@Lexusgs430 @dubaiprince @ednut, what investment platform would you recommend a newbie to join here in the UK? I have been hearing about ISAs and other stocks platforms, but would appreciate a single platform or app that offers a simplified way of investing in shares of major companies here in UK or US in the safest way. Any educational video or link to respect will be highly appreciated. Also, I have been getting emails from my company pension provider and I wonder how that it works here in UK and if there is any optimal way we could use the funds or it is untouchable till retirement or so. I hope I am asking the questions in the right way. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2023
IcecoldDon:
Hello House and especially Oga@Lexusgs430 @dubaiprince @ednut, what investment platform would you recommend a newbie to join here in the UK? I have been hearing about ISAs and other stocks platforms, but would appreciate a single platform or app that offers a simplified way of investing in shares of major companies here in UK or US in the safest way. Any educational video or link to respect will be highly appreciated. Also, I have been getting emails from my company pension provider and I wonder how that it works here in UK and if there is any optimal way we could use the funds or it is untouchable till retirement or so. I hope I am asking the questions in the right way. Thanks.

Register with your employer's pension provider...... Nobody go chop your money .....😜😂

Do you want a self managed investment platform or fund manager.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by IcecoldDon: 4:44pm On Nov 07, 2023
Hahahahaha Oga Lexus, I have already registered, as it was mandatory at the recruitment stage, so I was just curious about it. I would prefer the fund manager to reduce any stress but something that I can have a dashboard view or be adding installment amounts to monthly for compound interests or something like that
Lexusgs430:

Register with your employer's pension provider...... Nobody go chop your money .....😜😂

Do you want a self managed investment platform or fund manager.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:10pm On Nov 07, 2023
IcecoldDon:
Hahahahaha Oga Lexus, I have already registered, as it was mandatory at the recruitment stage, so I was just curious about it. I would prefer the fund manager to reduce any stress but something that I can have a dashboard view or be adding installment amounts to monthly for compound interests or something like that

Register with moneyfarm......😂

https://app.moneyfarm.com/gb/sign-up?promocode=MF613416&affiliatePartnerId=84714d4e-4ee9-44cf-a90c-7a7095995d36

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 6:38pm On Nov 07, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
I got a question and this is just out of curiosity as I no be student and I’m not trying to break any laws. All these Outside IR35 jobs that I see. They only pay to companies, so does that mean that a student limited to 20hours can still do them since payment will be made to a company’s account and not their account. Or will the company’s name have to be under the name of the person doing the job? Curiosity wan kee me. Who get the answer to this question

You need to register a company, students are not allowed to register a business
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by IcecoldDon: 7:23pm On Nov 07, 2023
Nice one Boss. Is there a reason you go with them over others like Interactive Brokers for example? And are you recommending Stocks ISA or General Investment from the moneyfarm?
Lexusgs430:

Register with moneyfarm......😂

https://app.moneyfarm.com/gb/sign-up?promocode=MF613416&affiliatePartnerId=84714d4e-4ee9-44cf-a90c-7a7095995d36
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Stoplying: 7:44pm On Nov 07, 2023
Poanan:

Please avoid home office if you are not up to 3years or 5years in the UK depending on the type of clearance needed. I got an offer for SEO role and the offer was later withdrawn because of not having enough footprints in the UK. This even after sending references o. You can imagine the heartbreak. People should apply to other departments.
What is "seo role" ?
I've not been to the UK for a good number of years, tell me if the Indians in charge of the UK have made that country toxic for black people.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 8:48pm On Nov 07, 2023
Stoplying:

What is "seo role" ?
I've not been to the UK for a good number of years, tell me if the Indians in charge of the UK have made that country toxic for black people.
SeO is a job grade in the civil service.
I don't know o. Where i stay there are no much indians so I don't know what you are talking about.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Stoplying: 8:55pm On Nov 07, 2023
Poanan:

SeO is a job grade in the civil service.
I don't know o. Where i stay there are no much indians so I don't know what you are talking about.
Rishi and Braverman are the two Indians I'm talking about.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 8:57pm On Nov 07, 2023
florixi:
Dear people of God ,

Please,I need your input on how to contact the Home Office for an application within the UK

I have called the HO, they only told me to send mail to the complaint, which I did two weeks ago. Still no feedback yet. This is really frustrating; what else can i do to address this? Has anyone experienced this before? I need the best advice, please. I am tired of checking my email.

Last year I had similar situation, I sent a mail to the MP for my district. I expressed how the delay has affected me and my family. I told her the delay had made living difficult for us.

Just google the MP for your district and contact him/her via mail. It worked for lot of people last year. I got my visa response in less than 1week after I contacted her. This is after waiting for I believe over 4months or 5.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:27pm On Nov 07, 2023
Please I want to ask - were you given areas of your career for your referees to write in about you or what was the format?

Poanan:

I take God name beg you check what they need as clearance before applying. My offer was withdrawn because of not having enough foot prints in the UK. You dont have to go through this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by florixi: 9:50pm On Nov 07, 2023
Chreze:

Last year I had similar situation, I sent a mail to the MP for my district. I expressed how the delay has affected me and my family. I told her the delay had made living difficult for us.

Just google the MP for your district and contact him/her via mail. It worked for lot of people last year. I got my visa response in less than 1week after I contacted her. This is after waiting for I believe over 4months or 5.

Thank you so much. I think this is the only option left on the table for me. I will pursue this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Fraih(f): 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2023
Schoolhike:

EO and above and I don’t think DWP offer sponsorship for the JOB COACH role.

A friend got sponsorship at AO role with DWP tho she was moving from student visa directly to work visa.

Someone else wasn’t given for the AO because the person is moving from a work visa.

Seems hmrc could sponsor EO (will not sponsor AO), same as DWP.

Best bet is to start working with them with other visa say like graduate visa, the chances of getting visa will be high. For instance, on norms Ministry of defense don’t sponsor visa if the job is not on shortage occupation list, but someone got the sponsorship because the person has been working with them while on graduate visa.

Hi, thanks for the input.
I always thought the EO is same as the Job coach role. Could you kindly clarify?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:24pm On Nov 07, 2023
IcecoldDon:
Nice one Boss. Is there a reason you go with them over others like Interactive Brokers for example? And are you recommending Stocks ISA or General Investment from the moneyfarm?

I have 3 managed portfolios, and moneyfarm is delivering better results (so far)….....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 10:47pm On Nov 07, 2023
Just thought to post this again. Open to all Working parents. No public funds or visa restrictions. Oga Rishi dalu o

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 10:53pm On Nov 07, 2023
Hello people of Great minds
Please I want to ask if there is a propose change to dependant of Skilled worker / Healthcare Visa .
I mean is there any update on condition to bring partner of Healthcare Visa holder to the UK?
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:29pm On Nov 07, 2023
Fraih:

Hi, thanks for the input.
I always thought the EO is same as the Job coach role. Could you kindly clarify?

Yeah, most job coach are EO and above, a friend working in dwp told me that they refused job coach visa sponsorship
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:33pm On Nov 07, 2023
bigtt76:
Please I want to ask - were you given areas of your career for your referees to write in about you or what was the format?

Reference for all job you listed on your cv. Just normal reference nothing special I think, performance, etc

They always ask for character references
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Fraih(f): 11:37pm On Nov 07, 2023
Schoolhike:

Yeah, most job coach are EO and above, a friend working in dwp told me that they refused job coach visa sponsorship
Still kinda confused tho
I'm this inquisitive cos I applied for the Job coach role, but all email correspondence lately is EO, so I assumed EO=Job coach
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 2:56am On Nov 08, 2023
MindOnMatters00:

Hello bro, pls kindly check your mailbox. I sent you a message.

I await your response. Thanks.

Nothing seen. Pls resend
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 12:19pm On Nov 08, 2023
Efftyy:
Hello people of Great minds
Please I want to ask if there is a propose change to dependant of Skilled worker / Healthcare Visa .
I mean is there any update on condition to bring partner of Healthcare Visa holder to the UK?
Thank you

Maybe start by saying what you've heard, and others might confirm or deny it. AFAIK, there's not been any mention of changing terms for SWV or the likes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 08, 2023
Fraih:

Still kinda confused tho
I'm this inquisitive cos I applied for the Job coach role, but all email correspondence lately is EO, so I assumed EO=Job coach

EO is the grade. Like NHS has bands ...4,5,6..., etc, the civil service has AO, EO, SEO etc.

Within and among specific government departments, roles might be called different things even though they're on the same band.

So, yes, the DWP Job Coach roles are EO grade roles, but there might be other EOs within the DWP doing roles other than Job Coach.

Also, the policies regarding sponsorship are likely applicable to specific roles, not their banding per se. Just like the NHS might sponsor a band 3 healthcare assistant but not a band 3 secretary, the DWP and other departments may sponsor EO cybersecurity analysts but not Job Coaches. There's really no way to know unless you ask directly before or during the recruitment process, or you hear from someone with direct knowledge, like a previous applicant.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 1:34pm On Nov 08, 2023
Me? Or duchess? I don’t know anything about home office jobs oh
jhorjhor:

Hi,

Is there a way I can text you directly please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by akanfe30: 1:58pm On Nov 08, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
I got a question and this is just out of curiosity as I no be student and I’m not trying to break any laws. All these Outside IR35 jobs that I see. They only pay to companies, so does that mean that a student limited to 20hours can still do them since payment will be made to a company’s account and not their account. Or will the company’s name have to be under the name of the person doing the job?
Curiosity wan kee me. Who get the answer to this question
Make curiosity no kee us both. Can I work 20hours supplementary job for a registered company owned by my wife ( my skilled worker visa dependant)?

(1) (2) (3) ... (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Goodenoch, Teenuh and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.