Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (314) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463837 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 9:50pm On Nov 22, 2023
justwise:

One or two comments from that video suggest that it was not about tithe, that the pastor was testing their ability to face the real world.

Whatever that means, still not cool, mate. Subtle humiliation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:39pm On Nov 22, 2023
toughest007:

Whatever that means, still not cool, mate. Subtle humiliation.

Not at all but then again they are adults, they decided to submit themselves to that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 11:44pm On Nov 22, 2023
Dimdim8593:
Good evening everyone
I am currently in the uk working for bank as a financial crime investigator, although I am still on my probation stage.i was suspended for gross misconduct(legitimacy of reference(uk)) I provided for them during my background checks,initially this check came back successful but months into my employment ,I was suspended for the reason above.after fact finding meetings I had with my manger,my case was moved to disciplinary hearing. I am confused as to what to do ,should I resign with immediate effect which I have read that the company can sue for breach of contract as I have a week’s notice or should I go for the hearing and defend myself.
Note:their concerns is for the reference I provided with a company I did bootcamp and voluntary opportunity with. I actually worked on cases with this company with the duration I put in my cv.
Please house help me with advice
This is a tricky one, I guess they did a second thorough check and discovered that it’s a boot camp and not an actual company. Did you disclose that it’s a bootcamp during the interview and reference check stage? Did you provide payslips from this bootcamp?
How’s your job performance, are you struggling or doing well at your job? If you are doing well at your job then I would suggest that you wait it out. Don’t resign just yet.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 11:59pm On Nov 22, 2023
Dimdim8593:
Good evening everyone
I am currently in the uk working for bank as a financial crime investigator, although I am still on my probation stage.i was suspended for gross misconduct(legitimacy of reference(uk)) I provided for them during my background checks,initially this check came back successful but months into my employment ,I was suspended for the reason above.after fact finding meetings I had with my manger,my case was moved to disciplinary hearing. I am confused as to what to do ,should I resign with immediate effect which I have read that the company can sue for breach of contract as I have a week’s notice or should I go for the hearing and defend myself.
Note:their concerns is for the reference I provided with a company I did bootcamp and voluntary opportunity with. I actually worked on cases with this company with the duration I put in my cv.
It being a financial institution means it going to end up with you getting fired. If you still intend to work within banking you should honourable resign. From what you’ve stated the decision has been made ( they now believe you are not a honest employee). In your resignation later give them the weeks notice. Call in sick or something to lapse with the expiration of your notice period. Nobody would sue you cuz you still under probation and are eligible to get fired anyways
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:09am On Nov 23, 2023
wallg123:

It being a financial institution means it going to end up with you getting fired. If you still intend to work within banking you should honourable resign. From what you’ve stated the decision has been made ( they now believe you are not a honest employee). In your resignation later give them the weeks notice. Call in sick or something to lapse with the expiration of your notice period. Nobody would sue you cuz you still under probation and are eligible to get fired anyways
Interesting, why not fire the person immediately? Unless they are wasting time on purpose or it’s a legal sensitive matter.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 12:30am On Nov 23, 2023
Attend the disciplinary hearing and thereafter resign. If you resign without the disciplinary hearing, it means that you are guilty of deception and ran away with it. At the hearing you stand the chance to explain your situation better and understand why this issue came up. Resigning without this would be depriving you of valuable lessons learned. Avoid using bootcamps as work experience.

Dimdim8593:
Good evening everyone

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 12:37am On Nov 23, 2023
Update on this issue
Today the landlady worked into my room and was like today your leaving my house and was trying to move my stuffs outside..
Immediately I picked up the phone and called the police, she started to denying that she's not throwing me out of the house..
Now what happened is that she came with her kids and trying to claim that this is her house and I have contacted the Council housing department already about her visits but I would like to know if there is any legal way I can deal with this please.

This woman thinks that I meant be scared or I don't know the law in UK, which is the reason she has been doing all this..
I can tell you that all the other tenants who has lived in this house have issues with her and that's why they leave.. including the ones that moved out from my room before I move in.. everyone 100% has issues with her and she always treating to remove their door but never did because she's also scared of what they will do to her..but in my case, she things I can't do anything because am quiet guy.
4 months ago he made new tenant who just came to the UK to go out midnight at 1AM to pay house because the person told her he has it in cash and will send it to her tomorrow when he go to bank, but this woman insisted that he must pay the money that night otherwise she will come and remove he's door...

He has always treating to remove tenant doors but never went ahead to do it until now,she did it to me..

Please I would like to know how I can take this case to court, getting lawyers and anyway I can deal with her for all the abuse and harassment.
Ralphlauren:

Have you followed Ticha's advice regarding reporting to the council and checking if your landlady has a HMO licence (if the property meets HMO criteria)?

You need to inform the council ASAP. if she has the audacity to remove your door, the next thing she might do is cut off electricity or hot water supply.

She's a rouge landlord and needs to be taught a serious lesson.

https://www.london.gov.uk/rogue-landlord-checker

https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/housing-and-land/improving-private-rented-sector/report-rogue-landlord-or-agent

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:44am On Nov 23, 2023
bigtt76:
Avoid using bootcamps as work experience.

I think that this is the catch for most boot camps, the promise of a reference and putting them on your CV. I sure say most companies now don dey clock this format.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chefyemc: 1:33am On Nov 23, 2023
Hello ,pls I need ur assistance, am in uk and I want to apply for schengen visa (spain)
So I went to their page ( bls spain visa )
I registered my name and email.
Pls I cant seems to fill the form online ,just like that of uk form ,I was given the option to download form ,which means I would need to print it out and fill with a pen ? .
Pls is it like this for everyone, coz the person I saw on YouTube said he filled his own online .
Pls kindly help out
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:30am On Nov 23, 2023
Goke7:

You don’t need to reply to my post if you can’t respect yourself, must you reply to my comment? Why the aggression or am I the only one to have commented on this. Please learn to respect other people’s views and if you can’t please stay on your lane o Mr know it all.

We all have our views but you cross the line by depicting us as savages cos a Nigerian did something you dont like. It's called profiling.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:45am On Nov 23, 2023
The cat and mouse continues. Suella is gone but her spirit lives on..

I'm happy I've seen an increasing number of newish looking African brethren in the less diverse area where I live. From conversations, many seem to be in care-related roles Hopefully, they settle in quickly and rise up the ladder.

Our local end of year party should make brain. Even this thread is benefiting... getting more active by the day.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:52am On Nov 23, 2023
25,000 people that did not pay masters fee grin Thank God for Brexit.

If the government is so appaled, they should rather cull the number of external COS issued. Mk those wey dey ground see work do.
The care sector has for decades depended on foreign labour. That was not going to change overnight cos folks wanted to leave the EU.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 6:17am On Nov 23, 2023
UniqueDext:
Update on this issue
Today the landlady worked into my room and was like today your leaving my house and was trying to move my stuffs outside..
Immediately I picked up the phone and called the police, she started to denying that she's not throwing me out of the house..
Now what happened is that she came with her kids and trying to claim that this is her house and I have contacted the Council housing department already about her visits but I would like to know if there is any legal way I can deal with this please.

This woman thinks that I meant be scared or I don't know the law in UK, which is the reason she has been doing all this..
I can tell you that all the other tenants who has lived in this house have issues with her and that's why they leave.. including the ones that moved out from my room before I move in.. everyone 100% has issues with her and she always treating to remove their door but never did because she's also scared of what they will do to her..but in my case, she things I can't do anything because am quiet guy.
4 months ago he made new tenant who just came to the UK to go out midnight at 1AM to pay house because the person told her he has it in cash and will send it to her tomorrow when he go to bank, but this woman insisted that he must pay the money that night otherwise she will come and remove he's door...

He has always treating to remove tenant doors but never went ahead to do it until now,she did it to me..

Please I would like to know how I can take this case to court, getting lawyers and anyway I can deal with her for all the abuse and harassment.

Have you paid the rent?

Why not just pay the rent and move on. You may have a case but is it worth fighting?

It's now seeming you want to abuse the rights you have as a tenant because you promised to pay in a few days time and it's past few days.

I mean put yourself in her shoes, what excuse will you give to your lender if they want to reposes the house because of missed payment arising from tenant not paying?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:31am On Nov 23, 2023
UniqueDext:
Update on this issue

When I mentioned she might claim unruly family member, JW disputed my point.......

I have seen this issues play out, too many times......

What you need to do, is get all present tenants write a statement.......

As I stated last week, log a report with the police and get a crime report (she would claim she did not rent the house to you).......

You now send a message to her, requesting your rent deposit statement + all steps you would take to protect your tenancy rights......

At this point, she would call you to negotiate......🤣😜

NB : Log a report with shelter, council and CAB ......

She is operating illegally, hence her stupidity and heavy handedness........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 7:54am On Nov 23, 2023
tushqueen:
Just an update on visa renewal for a child born in the UK but without any passport. Child attended for biometrics yesterday and we just got an email that application was successful

To add as well, while filling application forms, passport was requested and we clicked No passport then different options came up and we chose 'child has no passport as she was born in the UK'.

Thanks to those who replied to the earlier enquiry

Just out of curiosity, what’s the essence of getting the biometric card without a passport? Is it so the years will start counting for the child? The child will still need a passport to leave the country or can they travel on just a biometric card?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EzekielBams(m): 7:58am On Nov 23, 2023
Good Morning. Please reach out if you do have a space I can rent.
EzekielBams:
Please anyone with a shared apartment in Newcastle Abeg help a brother out. I will be arriving on Sunday.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 8:06am On Nov 23, 2023
Exactly. Most times in addition to requesting references, your employer or you may be asked for your past payslip. They also go as far as checking up the employer to see if they exist.

kwakudtraveller:

I think that this is the catch for most boot camps, the promise of a reference and putting them on your CV. I sure say most companies now don dey clock this format.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 8:10am On Nov 23, 2023
Even most lenders offer grace periods with no late fee. What this LL is doing is simply harassment, taking advantage and abuse of power.

Op intended to pay only 3 days late ọ. And not just him having one issue or the other but all the tenants. Fact is, if she isn't taught a valuable lesson, LL wouldn't learn and will continue to break the law.

Viruses:

Have you paid the rent?

Why not just pay the rent and move on. You may have a case but is it worth fighting?

It's now seeming you want to abuse the rights you have as a tenant because you promised to pay in a few days time and it's past few days.

I mean put yourself in her shoes, what excuse will you give to your lender if they want to reposes the house because of missed payment arising from tenant not paying?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 8:13am On Nov 23, 2023
bigtt76:
Exactly. Most times in addition to requesting references, your employer or you may be asked for your past payslip. They also go as far as checking up the employer to see if they exist.

To avoid all these dramas, if a UK reference isn't mandatory for a job, would it be okay to just use a personal tutor or dissertation supervisor (for those on student visas) plus a Naija reference instead?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 8:20am On Nov 23, 2023
As far as you mention previous work experiences for the last 3 years, you would required to submit a work related reference (UK or Naija depending on what you listed). Your chances are higher if you list a UK work experience shaa. Yes Academic references (PT or DS) are suitable but then you would need to explain employment gaps.

What a lot of people don't realise is that those part time jobs in the UK can serve as work experiences and references gotten from them.

Phil46:

To avoid all these dramas, if a UK reference isn't mandatory for a job, would it be okay to just use a personal tutor or dissertation supervisor (for those on student visas) plus a Naija reference instead?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 8:28am On Nov 23, 2023
bigtt76:

Your past employer cannot provide your payslip to a new employer.

You also have no legal obligation to provide it.

You can give them a P60 but that's up to you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 8:35am On Nov 23, 2023
UniqueDext:
Update on this issue

You fit post her picture make we drag she and her family online.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 8:42am On Nov 23, 2023
lavida001:

You fit post her picture make we drag she and her family online.

How you come take different from the landlady in question? Why would you drag her and family online if the OP has been adviced on how to go about it legally and in a civil manner?

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NezzyMike: 8:42am On Nov 23, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

This is a tricky one, I guess they did a second thorough check and discovered that it’s a boot camp and not an actual company. Did you disclose that it’s a bootcamp during the interview and reference check stage? Did you provide payslips from this bootcamp?
How’s your job performance, are you struggling or doing well at your job? If you are doing well at your job then I would suggest that you wait it out. Don’t resign just yet.

You are working below their expectations, that is the major cause of reference investigation. Abeg begin de find work o and go for the hearing.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chefyemc: 9:06am On Nov 23, 2023
Chefyemc:
Hello ,pls I need ur assistance, am in uk and I want to apply for schengen visa (spain)
So I went to their page ( bls spain visa )
I registered my name and email.
Pls I cant seems to fill the form online ,just like that of uk form ,I was given the option to download form ,which means I would need to print it out and fill with a pen ? .
Pls is it like this for everyone, coz the person I saw on YouTube said he filled his own online .
Pls kindly help out
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:10am On Nov 23, 2023
iyatrustee:

How you come take different from the landlady in question? Why would you drag her and family online if the OP has been adviced on how to go about it legally and in a civil manner?

Since she wants to be mad. Let’s all be mad then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 9:13am On Nov 23, 2023
lavida001:

Two wrongs don't make a right please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 9:18am On Nov 23, 2023
lavida001:

Well, this is not Nigeria as you already know, she can sue him for invading her privacy and family life.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 9:31am On Nov 23, 2023
[quote author=Chefyemc post=127119534][/quote]

It could be that the person applied through another Schengen country. You are on the correct website for Spain, so download the form and complete the application.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Fraih(f): 10:47am On Nov 23, 2023
Hello everyone,

Pls I got a DBS letter posted to me (subject says thank you for your recent application for a DBS check).
I'm aware that a company is running that for me, but the letter does not state whether successful, completed or stuff. I got details in the letter on checking online but still didn't see any certificate updated in my profile.

Does the letter mean it's been successful? And how do I even see the certificate for my use as that is my first DBS check. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eyesaswide: 10:49am On Nov 23, 2023
Someone recommended a good dehumidifier some time ago, please can anyone point me to that page? Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 11:25am On Nov 23, 2023
Chreze:

I have the Maeco 12litre low energy dehumidifier (the low platinum range ones) I got last year. To be honest, it’s my best investment last year. The funny thing is you will be surprised at how humid your house is even when you are not seeing any sign or mold.

The magic part is the air purifier that helps our young man sleep smoothly when he has flu. Till date, it’s the best money I spent in the UK.

I always forget to share the good news about the product. Thanks for sharing.
this?
eyesaswide:
Someone recommended a good dehumidifier some time ago, please can anyone point me to that page? Thank you

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.