Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,529 members, 7,812,646 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460582 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:13pm On Nov 23, 2023
Zahra29:

Agreed, a mental health assessment should have been carried out which might have mitigated or cancelled his sentence.

I wonder if perhaps they felt that if he was well enough to attend his classes, then he should have had sufficient mental capacity to understand the implications of the threats he was making.

Or perhaps they just decided to take the quicker and cheaper route.

That is my impression here, if that guy was mentally ok and really wanted to bomb the school i don't think he will send a threat first openly before carrying it out. Yes his threat looks dangerous and should be taken seriously but i have never seen or read about a terrorist who alerted his potential victim first before carrying out the act.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:17pm On Nov 23, 2023
toughest007:

£31.99 + three months free is a decent deal.

I paid £40 (no free month) for one year and now paying £35.

No its not, i got 4moths free with Talk Talk then £21 after
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:46pm On Nov 23, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

That is my impression here, if that guy was mentally ok and really wanted to bomb the school i don't think he will send a threat first openly before carrying it out. Yes his threat looks dangerous and should be taken seriously but i have never seen or read about a terrorist who alerted his potential victim first before carrying out the act.

Let’s just guess it was frustration and pressure of school that led him to this but with all the rhetoric these days of net migration any loophole will be taken advantage of. Reason we admonish people to be careful, it’s a free democratic society but with lots of unwritten caveats especially for folks on a visa.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:58pm On Nov 23, 2023
I hope everyone is seeing how Revolut is trending on Twitter. They blocked someone's account with his school fees in it. 10K euros, according to him

Always leave your savings in banks that have physical addresses, like Barclays and the like, to avoid stories that touch the body and soul

Also, it seems the UK is going really broke with the way they are looking to cut benefits, as in the autumn statement. It's almost as if the current gov is clueless as to how to generate money or manage the one they have.

They have also started the usual immigrant blame game and moaning, per usual

Seems I will look deeply at japa inside japa next year smiley

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:26pm On Nov 23, 2023
hustla:
I hope everyone is seeing how Revolut is trending on Twitter. They blocked someone's account with his school fees in it. 10K euros, according to him

Always leave your savings in banks that have physical addresses, like Barclays and the like, to avoid stories that touch the body and soul

Also, it seems the UK is going really broke with the way they are looking to cut benefits, as in the autumn statement. It's almost as if the current gov is clueless as to how to generate money or manage the one they have.

They have also started the usual immigrant blame game and moaning, per usual

Seems I will look deeply at japa inside japa next year smiley

They're talking about cutting benefits (again - benefits has been one of the top issues since Tories got into power 13 years ago) in an attempt to force some of the economically inactive back into work.

In the autumn statement yesterday, Hunt increased benefits and also cut taxes (national insurance) so it's not about lack of money, but rather the perception that many of those not working are too comfortable on their benefits.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:27pm On Nov 23, 2023
Zahra29:

They're talking about cutting benefits (again - benefits has been one of the top issues since Tories got into power 13 years ago) in an attempt to force some of the economically inactive back into work.

In the autumn statement yesterday, Hunt increased benefits and also cut taxes (national insurance) so it's not about lack of money, but rather the perception that many of those not working are too comfortable on their benefits.

Hmmm

Okay smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 11:42pm On Nov 23, 2023
Zahra29:

Good advice but one that would be more effective if it was given at source - advising student applicants to keep and use their POF for what it's intended for. If they had the maintenance funds and fees they presented in their visa applications, then they might not need to work so hard - just the 20 hours stipulated in the immigration rules - and would hopefully avoid the extreme stress that is bound to arise from working to pay off fees and other debt while studying.
Justwise and others have preached this for ages but are often ignored.

it is not just to pay off fees. People at home are putting them under pressure. and the bad thing is that people who put them under this pressure do not hustle this way. I entered an african shop last week in the evening around 4/5pm and saw a man on queue standing and struggling with sleep. When our eyes met he could see the look on my face. People at home know they have fees to pay but start placing huge demands on them while still schooling.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ralphlauren(m): 12:01am On Nov 24, 2023
Dimdim8593:
Good evening everyone
I am currently in the uk working for bank as a financial crime investigator, although I am still on my probation stage.i was suspended for gross misconduct(legitimacy of reference(uk)) I provided for them during my background checks,initially this check came back successful but months into my employment ,I was suspended for the reason above.after fact finding meetings I had with my manger,my case was moved to disciplinary hearing. I am confused as to what to do ,should I resign with immediate effect which I have read that the company can sue for breach of contract as I have a week’s notice or should I go for the hearing and defend myself.
Note:their concerns is for the reference I provided with a company I did bootcamp and voluntary opportunity with. I actually worked on cases with this company with the duration I put in my cv.
Please house help me with advice

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10510361/amp/NHS-doctor-struck-paying-bank-worker-100-fake-CV-bid-new-job-finance.html
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 12:03am On Nov 24, 2023
Schoolhike:

The issue of car part being expensive might be true but I’m not convinced with the fact that one particular maker being expensive compare to another, the rule of thumb is that those mechanic still charges the same amount per hour irrespective of the car make, my mechanic do allow me to source parts online and he still charge almost same amount for the car, not much difference in my pay when I changed from mazda to Mercedes,

Most important is to buy a car that won’t be giving you much problems, start from the mot history of the car, age, mileage, reason for selling, how May previous users, how long mot was last done etc,

Come to talk of it, if not for the cost of repair that is way too expensive, we don’t normally think of all this back in Nigeria because the cost of repair is very cheap, repaired just a common mazda Alternator for 250£ (less than 30k before I left Nigeria (mistakenly put wrong fuel in the car also cost me around 120£ ) etc, wanted to get mot done cost me almost 1,200£ to fix the car ( car that still works fine, but must repair cos of mot), happy that the car is off road now self cos of accident, really cost me a lot then

Thanks i appreciate you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ralphlauren(m): 12:04am On Nov 24, 2023
UniqueDext:
Update on this issue
Today the landlady worked into my room and was like today your leaving my house and was trying to move my stuffs outside..
Immediately I picked up the phone and called the police, she started to denying that she's not throwing me out of the house..
Now what happened is that she came with her kids and trying to claim that this is her house and I have contacted the Council housing department already about her visits but I would like to know if there is any legal way I can deal with this please.

This woman thinks that I meant be scared or I don't know the law in UK, which is the reason she has been doing all this..
I can tell you that all the other tenants who has lived in this house have issues with her and that's why they leave.. including the ones that moved out from my room before I move in.. everyone 100% has issues with her and she always treating to remove their door but never did because she's also scared of what they will do to her..but in my case, she things I can't do anything because am quiet guy.
4 months ago he made new tenant who just came to the UK to go out midnight at 1AM to pay house because the person told her he has it in cash and will send it to her tomorrow when he go to bank, but this woman insisted that he must pay the money that night otherwise she will come and remove he's door...

He has always treating to remove tenant doors but never went ahead to do it until now,she did it to me..

Please I would like to know how I can take this case to court, getting lawyers and anyway I can deal with her for all the abuse and harassment.

What did the police say?

Have you had a call or email response from the council regarding your complaint?

Have you contacted the charity, shelter?

She's obviously operating an illegal HMO hence why she's pretending to live in the property with her family.

I'll suggest you don't pay her the rent or pack out until she returns the door back to its hinges.

Do you know if she registered your deposit with an approved deposit scheme?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 12:06am On Nov 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

FBMP is littered with scammers........

Autotrader would be your best hunting ground........ Ensure you conduct all online checks, prior to purchasing any vehicle.......

If you have a credit card, use it to buy the car or simply pay a deposit over £100.01......

And lastly, I prefer Japanese vehicles...... Parts are usually available on Ebay or motor factor outlets.......

NB: Don't pay a deposit on a vehicle, unless you're 101% certain........

Please sometimes ago u posted link for people to search jobs related to only nhs, u also posted link for ppl to search job for government civil roles. Pls can u repost both links abeg

Then please how best can someone land a project management entry role cus there are not much of those roles on indeed, i wanna work in a firm as a pm but as entry cus i dont have enough experience yet, so how can i land such roles.

Also i need a very good reliable and trustworthy pm tutorial bootcamp or tutor if you know any pls.

Thank you. Others can contribute too.

Anyone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 12:22am On Nov 24, 2023
This is wrong. I am challenging it so that recent expatriates do not get the wrong idea. This gentleman has done nothing wrong. The LL ,on the other hand, has committed several offences. The processes of punishing her as a deterrent is going much more slower than expected. BUT op, do not drop it. Chase it until somebody comes around.

Many things are getting left in the UK now because of poor staffing so chase up your complaint. Dont let anybody tell you you are at fault. Nigerian logic does not work here
lavida001:

True that. This Naija landlords are frustrating most times placing all sorts of rules and regulations.

Base on how things are presently and because he fails to pay his as at when due, i advise he pays the rent and move out.

We learn everyday.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BoyleEd: 12:27am On Nov 24, 2023
Good evening seniors. Please kindly recommend a standard online bootcamp for a beginner in data science here in the UK. I can work with SQL, SPSS and Excel to some extent. There are alot of them online but I am looking for a good one based on recommendations.
Thank you very much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 3:08am On Nov 24, 2023
This UK can be challenging, especially when you have family [wife or/and kid(s)]. Very challenging when you come in and you have to adjust your standard of living (like jumping buses and trains) instead of your car(s) back in Naija. Sometimes this things make you want to give up and get you stressed. I don’t want to talk about job search, interviews and house hunt.

This things take a toll and sometimes make us question our decision of relocating. But, if you can hold on and have proper planning, you will reap the fruits and wake up someday smiling. For those with wife/partner, it becomes more fulfilling when you and your partner work and get lots of savings after bills.

The stress living in the UK as a new immigrant is worsening as people tend to work lots of hours and want to acquire so many things in short time. Things don’t have to be that way. Plan yourself, work with your own timing. Make personal decisions that favor you and your family. Avoid contacts with people in Naija till you are well to do and can give them what you know they really want. Have quiet times, plan and strategize on how to beat your hurdles. Go for long walks to clear your head. Work with your wife/husband in everything. This UK is sweater if you have and live at peace with your partner.

Focus on yourself (or family if you are married). Work lesser hours and spend more time with your family. Distant yourself from anyone whom you have found to be putting some pressure on you (even if it’s your extended family). Go out with classmates and colleagues if you are single. Make Europe travel plans with them.

Take things easy with yourself. Ignore Lexus advice on “rent money is dead money”. Make your own plans and live as a tenant happily. Lexus didn’t buy a house in his first 3yrs in the UK as well as Justwise and the rest ( I don’t know them personally but they fit for this line 😁) but if they did, they can correct me.

Take things easy, don’t add to the statistics of Nigerians that drop down due to stress. You don’t need too much money in the UK if you live for yourself and/or family (wife n kids). Make long term plans rather than “pressured short term”.

Na who de alive go enjoy their savings oooo. Take life easy.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:49am On Nov 24, 2023
Goke7:

If we talk now, they will accuse us of profiling, Let every man continue as he pleases!

Regarding profiling. The issue is understanding the import of your statement. Flip your statement on any other group, say it in public and you're toast.

That Mrs A was convicted and happens to be a Scottish, Nigerian, Muslim, Black e.t.c does not mean that every Scottish or Muslim person should go for mental evaluation and reorientation before they're allowed into 'advanced England'

There are hundreds of thousands of Nigerians in the UK going about their business many of whom are doing well. Why not constantly remind us of their success?
If your goal is really to warn us about crime and not dehumanize, then the there are hundreds of convictions occuring daily in the UK which you could post. A story of a convicted Welsh or Pakistani man should equally send same message.

These things add up and soon become systemic with two examples below.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 5:31am On Nov 24, 2023
ehizario2012:
Hi friends.
Naturally I'm someone who believes in hard work and stretching one's self to the limit to get things done.
However, I think some of our people coming into the UK recently need to slow down a little!
Too many sudden deaths recently, three that I am aware of.
One student slumped last week in Scotland, he was doing two jobs plus make shift kabu kabu. Another just placed his head on a table for a short nap and never woke up, he was doing nights in a warehouse and support work on day shifts. The third slumped on a shop floor in a warehouse...
The bills can wait please, everybody has a limit. All these run run is taking it's toll on the body, built up stress can be deadly!

This is not hardwork, packing shifts front and back is not hardwork, it's just greed and taking the easy way out.
As immigrants, our goal shouldn't be to increase the number of hours we work, rather to increase the amount we earn per hour.

Hardwork is doing an indepth personal reflection and mapping out key personal and professional development steps and religiously pursue it. Making yourself more valuable.
That is the hardwork, unfortunately many people try it and give up the next seconds after hitting one or two brick walls and will gladly stick to doing a 60hours shift every week on minimum wage.

We own it to both ourselves, our partner and our kids,

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:53am On Nov 24, 2023
Goke7:

Let’s just guess it was frustration and pressure of school that led him to this but with all the rhetoric these days of net migration any loophole will be taken advantage of. Reason we admonish people to be careful, it’s a free democratic society but with lots of unwritten caveats especially for folks on a visa.

I did not read anywhere they mentioned any item found on him after his arrest. Explosive making material, Video of him glorifying such act. Previous history of such crime, group affiliation, even his name alone will make them question if that guy is in his right senses of mind

Just doesn’t feel right

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 8:21am On Nov 24, 2023
Goke7:

Which airline?

BA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 8:22am On Nov 24, 2023
Peerielass:

Which month is that please? All I can see is 30,000 plus £50 for one way.

In February. One way as well. Lagos to London
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:46am On Nov 24, 2023
Zahra29:

Zahra never agrees that the uk is broke 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:54am On Nov 24, 2023
justwise:

I did not read anywhere they mentioned any item found on him after his arrest. Explosive making material, Video of him glorifying such act. Previous history of such crime, group affiliation, even his name alone will make them question if that guy is in his right senses of mind

Just doesn’t feel right

aah you’re going too far nah, his words alone is what they have used to nail him which they think it’s enough. With height of sensitivity these days to even antisemitic remarks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 8:54am On Nov 24, 2023
😂😂😂😂
Zahra29:

Fair enough.

Seemed unlikely to me that the lady who revealed that she had met a wealthy European who wanted to pay off her tuition fees, and she wanted to go away with on a weekend trip with him (within a year or less after arriving the UK) would be in a genuine, subsisting relationship with her spouse or long term partner.

But I suppose stranger things have happened, especially when considered that sham dependent arrangements are vanishingly rare. lipsrsealed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:54am On Nov 24, 2023
triplo3:

BA

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2023
Yy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:57am On Nov 24, 2023
jedisco:

Regarding profiling. The issue is that you don't understand the import of your statement. Flip your statement on any other group, say it in public and you're toast.

That Mrs A was convicted and happens to be a Scottish, Nigerian, Muslim, Black e.t.c does not mean that every Scottish or Muslim person should go for mental evaluation and reorientation before they're allowed into 'advanced England'

There are hundreds of thousands of Nigerians in the UK going about their business many of whom are doing well. Why not constantly remind us of their success?
If your goal is really to warn us about crime and not dehumanize, then the there are hundreds of convictions occuring daily in the UK which you could post. A story of a convicted Welsh or Pakistani man should equally send same message.

These things add up and soon become systemic with two examples below.

Please stop replying to my posts, am not interested. Stop picking on me @Justwise please advise him to keep off from me.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 9:10am On Nov 24, 2023
Lol, you’d be shocked what some women actually take from their partners.
justwise:

grin grin grin grin i watched it over and over again...those ladies will not take such treatment from their husband/bf at home but in the church...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:39am On Nov 24, 2023
Goke7:

Please stop replying to my posts, am not interested. Stop picking on me @ please advise him to keep off from me.
grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:45am On Nov 24, 2023
Suellas spirit. Still kicking.

Her last point should have been to limit the number of kids folks who migrated can have.

Interesting how workers earlier on gulped the 6% public wage rise which was funded by immigrants, now cheered the reduction in taxes, increase in benefits and state pension. This new largesse was driven by an unexpected budget surplus largely due to relative economic growth. No one is asking what role immigrants/students played in making this possible

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:18am On Nov 24, 2023
Goke7:

Zahra never agrees that the uk is broke 😂

Ha ha 🙈😂

Well I will concede that the UK is almost in danger of almost heading into almost broke territory lol - if it doesn't course correct soon. For example the tax giveaways would be better off being redirected towards plugging the funding gaps in the public sector.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:46am On Nov 24, 2023
Zahra29:

Ha ha 🙈😂

Well I will concede that the UK is almost in danger of almost heading into almost broke territory lol - if it doesn't course correct soon. For example the tax giveaways would be better off being redirected towards plugging the funding gaps in the public sector.

Election is around the corner, I won't blame them o. That's politicians for you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 1:05pm On Nov 24, 2023
justwise:

No its not, i got 4moths free with Talk Talk then £21 after

What year was this?

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Tstone1(m), Jamestown123 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.