Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,177 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (320) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (484588 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:01pm On Nov 25, 2023
Goke7:

don't know of other countries o but in this UK, I don't think there is, on the street where I live, I suddenly discovered lots of Nigerians getting accommodation, I told someone it was obvious those houses were empty all these while and it's true in so many places. If folks are not willing to rent out their spaces, do we blame immigrants for that? All of a sudden in my area, lots of renovation going on and I wondered what was happening. The major challenge of immigrants in the Uk getting accommodation was not a lack of houses but landlords unwilling to rent out to students especially. And we can't blame even the landlords too. Funny enough the crisis has a way too of resolving itself somehow. The landlords too have been smiling to the banks.

Same on my former street. Empty houses now have occupants and derelict ones have been renovated

For sale and renovations everywhere. In actual fact, they pulled down houses on a massive expanse of land and last time I went to the area, they're almost done

Landlords dey cash out the most grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:06pm On Nov 25, 2023
hustla:

Same on my former street. Empty houses now have occupants and derelict ones have been renovated

For sale and renovations everywhere. In actual fact, they pulled down houses on a massive expanse of land and last time I went to the area, they're almost done

Landlords dey cash out the most grin

grin I thought I was the only one observing this trend, they just dey bobo person for this Uk. Housing crisis indeed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:25pm On Nov 25, 2023
hustla:

The bolded is the reason why their immigration strategy is very funny grin

January entry stats will be pretty interesting and Im sure schools will complain

It's always the same universities that complain the loudest. Never the likes of Oxbridge or St Andrews or UCL or LSE or Warrick....
Fact is, if they are not competitive or highly ranked enough to attract international students from all countries, not just Africa(Nigeria) and India, and without selling immigration as a sweetener, then they probably need to close/scale down.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:17pm On Nov 25, 2023
Zahra29:

It's always the same universities that complain the loudest. Never the likes of Oxbridge or St Andrews or UCL or LSE or Warrick....
Fact is, if they are not competitive or highly ranked enough to attract international students from all countries, not just Africa(Nigeria) and India, and without selling immigration as a sweetener, then they probably need to close/scale down.

If they close down, landlords will also cry and suffer for it. Some cities thrive because students come and go, not because they have much to offer

Businesses around will also see a dip in their income

L all around

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:18pm On Nov 25, 2023
Goke7:

grin I thought I was the only one observing this trend, they just dey bobo person for this Uk. Housing crisis indeed

cheesy

Well, the crisis is there

Landlords are the one majorly cashing out as they can increase rent now and demand 6 months rent upfront from immigrants
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:46pm On Nov 25, 2023
hustla:

cheesy

Well, the crisis is there

Landlords are the one majorly cashing out as they can increase rent now and demand 6 months rent upfront from immigrants

so where is the pressure on housing they talk about, no be cash and carry things?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:11pm On Nov 25, 2023
hustla:

If they close down, landlords will also cry and suffer for it. Some cities thrive because students come and go, not because they have much to offer

Businesses around will also see a dip in their income

L all around

grin

It's normal - businesses need to constantly evolve and diversify in order to survive. They might die and new ones will spring up. Blockbusters, HMV, Woolworths, even Wilko died off and life has gone on since.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2023
Goke7:

so where is the pressure on housing they talk about, no be cash and carry things?

I dunno ooo

Maybe citizens don't have easy access to housing like before

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2023
Zahra29:

It's normal - businesses need to constantly evolve and diversify in order to survive. They might die and new ones will spring up. Blockbusters, HMV, Woolworths, even Wilko died off and life has gone on since.

Wont the same citizens complain if businesses die off?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hwy9: 11:17pm On Nov 25, 2023
Please, has anyone purchased phone from back market? Any experience?

Kindly share.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:21pm On Nov 25, 2023
Goke7:

So you believe there is really a housing crisis in the UK? grin

Remember many years ago, you put your name on the council list and government gives you subsidised accommodation....... That trend is now a dying horse, hence pressure on private LL's......... (MT also brought out a policy, to sell CP at huge discounts)... Government never rebuilt lost properties, hence this housing pressure pot......

Shortage of council properties, puts council property tenants + private tenancy occupancts in a situation where both of the aforementioned, are chasing few properties (basic economics principles).......

High demand = Higher prices........ 😁😜

NB: I would NEVER advice any prospective buyer, to buy an ex council property....... 😭 (unless it's a standalone house)......πŸ˜„

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:23pm On Nov 25, 2023
Hwy9:
Please, has anyone purchased phone from back market? Any experience?

Kindly share.

What is back market.......

Do you mean black market........

What do you intend to buy from the black market......

NB: Oja okunkun...... Comes with it's own risks....... 😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:38pm On Nov 25, 2023
Lexusgs430:

What is back market.......

Do you mean black market........

What do you intend to buy from the black market......

NB: Oja okunkun...... Comes with it's own risks....... 😜

nah, Backmarket

Its for used phones. Our service user dey buy from there wella

Seems they sell good stuff cos the phones are always clean Hwy9

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:44pm On Nov 25, 2023
hustla:

nah, Backmarket

Its for used phones. Our service user dey buy from there wella

Seems they sell good stuff cos the phones are always clean Hwy9

Backmarket is a new market to me o...... πŸ˜‰
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:46pm On Nov 25, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Never used it?
Like CeX

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hwy9: 12:04am On Nov 26, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Good reviews so far.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:07am On Nov 26, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Remember many years ago, you put your name on the council list and government gives you subsidised accommodation....... That trend is now a dying horse, hence pressure on private LL's......... (MT also brought out a policy, to sell CP at huge discounts)... Government never rebuilt lost properties, hence this housing pressure pot......

Shortage of council properties, puts council property tenants + private tenancy occupancts in a situation where both of the aforementioned, are chasing few properties (basic economics principles).......

High demand = Higher prices........ 😁😜

NB: I would NEVER advice any prospective buyer, to buy an ex council property....... 😭 (unless it's a standalone house)......πŸ˜„

Dem just Dey talk as if dem no Dey born children for this uk, dem no know say dem go build new houses for tomorrow’s children haba.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:11am On Nov 26, 2023
hustla:

Of course they will complain and find who to blame again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:29am On Nov 26, 2023
Goke7:

Dem just Dey talk as if dem no Dey born children for this uk, dem no know say dem go build new houses for tomorrow’s children haba.

The reason, people always use this cane to flog UK politicians.......

They are simply not building enough social properties.......

Germany on the other hand, builds over 250K units every year on year since 2001 .......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:33am On Nov 26, 2023
Hwy9:

Good reviews so far.

We never know it all ....😜🀣

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb

Unfortunately, eBay got me sealed...... πŸ˜„

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:09am On Nov 26, 2023
Goke7:

grin cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:20am On Nov 26, 2023
Goke7:

It's always the immigrants.......😜🀣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:34am On Nov 26, 2023
hustla:

Didn't businesses exist before the wave of international students post COVID?
I'm sure it'll be fine.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 1:54am On Nov 26, 2023
cbn4main:
Seniors in the building, I greet una.

I recently got an interview invite for a civil service role (EO, Finance officer).

For those who have had the experience, what should I expect? What areas am I going to be accessed on? What are the likely questions?

I will appreciate your inputs please.
Thanks

The question you will be asked is inside the job description under behavioral assessment, how how to explain those behaviors using star approach, have at least two ready made scenario for each behavior from your personal experience

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 2:04am On Nov 26, 2023
BoyleEd:
Good evening seniors. Please kindly recommend a standard online bootcamp for a beginner in data science here in the UK. I can work with SQL, SPSS and Excel to some extent. There are alot of them online but I am looking for a good one based on recommendations.
Thank you very much.

Don’t bother with spss, yet,

Start with excel, then sql, power bi and Python if you wish

Most importantly excel (don’t go macro side)

Other tools you need to learn will come later, understand excel very well, never underestimate it,…, most jobs use excel most of the time,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 3:41am On Nov 26, 2023
Zahra29:

Good advice but one that would be more effective if it was given at source - advising student applicants to keep and use their POF for what it's intended for. If they had the maintenance funds and fees they presented in their visa applications, then they might not need to work so hard - just the 20 hours stipulated in the immigration rules - and would hopefully avoid the extreme stress that is bound to arise from working to pay off fees and other debt while studying.
Justwise and others have preached this for ages but are often ignored.

Uhhh
Or if they must, let them get the kind of student job that Justwise got during his time.
He previously mentioned that he paid off his international student school fees from his student job earnings. And implied he was paid a lot per hour while on the limited hours allowed for students.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:00am On Nov 26, 2023
justwise:

The signal was not strong enough in my area, when you want to get mobile broadband check the providers signal strength in your post code area.

You can not renegotiate a fixed contract unless the speed they promised was not delivered, then you can call to ask for changes.

Okay
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:12am On Nov 26, 2023
Been enjoying the Hustle/Goke7/Zahra29 economics since. Lol. None of you guys mentioned the boats, all focus was on skilled immigrants/students.
What's happening to the boats?? Are we saying these illegal immigrants are not significant in number??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:15am On Nov 26, 2023
And for housing shortages, honestly I agree with Goke/Hustle. Something is changing, however subtle, houses are being renovated in my area in Rotherham... But it still doesn't mean houses are now 2/penny, there's some bias or intentional withholding of properties by landlords. Still studying what's really going on, it's like artificial scarcity.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:19am On Nov 26, 2023
In other news, I still wonder why UK is still all about paper paper paper mails! Why?? Almost everyday a paper advert mail from Royal Mail is slid into d house! Wetin dey sup gangan? Can't they remain digital and do away with paper? I just bin them without opening most times. I wonder where they get these trees from...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OgbeniOptional(m): 4:26am On Nov 26, 2023
The people ruling this country don’t know what they want. Majority of the citizens have no clue about what they even want. The blame culture in this country scares me a lot, constantly looking for who to blame when things go wrong for their own ineffectiveness.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:26am On Nov 26, 2023
ehizario2012:
In other news, I still wonder why UK is still all about paper paper paper mails! Why?? Almost everyday a paper advert mail from Royal Mail is slid into d house! Wetin dey sup gangan? Can't they remain digital and do away with paper? I just bin them without opening most times. I wonder where they get these trees from...

Do all companies willing to sell a product/service, know your digital footprint..........

Do they know your address.........🀣😜

GDPR is also live...... No company wants to fall foul, of GDPR regulations.........

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: iyatrustee(f), Joy83(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.