Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,587 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (318) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460481 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Anbandaras: 2:59am On Nov 25, 2023
giselle237:

Calm down. I have faced all and sundry and came out without paying a penny and that’s why I am asking him to know his own situation.
Both the one you did and did not do, agents/landlords would lie.
I don’t need scaremongering now. Please sir. Please
@anbandaras pls send me a msg. Thanks
Hi I have sent you a message
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Anbandaras: 3:00am On Nov 25, 2023
Lexusgs430:

What sort of damages....

Are you responsible for the damages......

Are this damages or wear and tear......

Did you take pictures and videos, post and pre resumption/exit of property........

NB: If you don't engage them, your guarantor would be
sued......

If they sue my guarantor even when they are at fault ,do I stand any chance ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:19am On Nov 25, 2023
justwise:

No its not, i got 4moths free with Talk Talk then £21 after

I am not sure if this offer is still on, but how much was setup cost? What's the speed?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:27am On Nov 25, 2023
Chreze:

This UK can be challenging, especially when you have family [wife or/and kid(s)]. Very challenging when you come in and you have to adjust your standard of living (like jumping buses and trains) instead of your car(s) back in Naija. Sometimes this things make you want to give up and get you stressed. I don’t want to talk about job search, interviews and house hunt.

This things take a toll and sometimes make us question our decision of relocating. But, if you can hold on and have proper planning, you will reap the fruits and wake up someday smiling. For those with wife/partner, it becomes more fulfilling when you and your partner work and get lots of savings after bills.

The stress living in the UK as a new immigrant is worsening as people tend to work lots of hours and want to acquire so many things in short time. Things don’t have to be that way. Plan yourself, work with your own timing. Make personal decisions that favor you and your family. Avoid contacts with people in Naija till you are well to do and can give them what you know they really want. Have quiet times, plan and strategize on how to beat your hurdles. Go for long walks to clear your head. Work with your wife/husband in everything. This UK is sweater if you have and live at peace with your partner.

Focus on yourself (or family if you are married). Work lesser hours and spend more time with your family. Distant yourself from anyone whom you have found to be putting some pressure on you (even if it’s your extended family). Go out with classmates and colleagues if you are single. Make Europe travel plans with them.

Take things easy with yourself. Ignore Lexus advice on “rent money is dead money”. Make your own plans and live as a tenant happily. Lexus didn’t buy a house in his first 3yrs in the UK as well as Justwise and the rest ( I don’t know them personally but they fit for this line 😁) but if they did, they can correct me.

Take things easy, don’t add to the statistics of Nigerians that drop down due to stress. You don’t need too much money in the UK if you live for yourself and/or family (wife n kids). Make long term plans rather than “pressured short term”.

Na who de alive go enjoy their savings oooo. Take life easy.

On point, well said.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 4:27am On Nov 25, 2023
posted this on the student thread, but I just remembered that after admission and entry to UK, most people switch to this thread so am posting again here.

If you are coming to Glasgow as a student with lesser work hours, instead of working at warehouses, target working at restaurants. In Glasgow most of the restaurants (don’t know of KFC n its siblings) share what is left of the day’s foods with colleagues/workers. This can help add to your feeding.

Dont feel funny about it, it’s a cheat most student use (i mean people born and raised here). Most Small restaurant owners rather share what’s left with their workers than throw that food away. I repeat Most small restaurants do this.

So here is the story, most restaurant make lots of sandwiches, cakes and pastries (even when customers are not in). They make them with the expectation that it’s gonna be a busy day. Whatever is left at the end of the day is given/shared to the workers to take home. This happens everyday and they don’t reduce the quantities they make the next day. It’s just standard practice.

As a student this will help with feeding. Don’t stress about the sandwiches, it’s easy to eat salmon, ham and bacon, just add Ketchup and mayonnaise and you are good. This goes a long way trust me. It reduces you cost of feeding (if you are single) and helps you focus on rent. There are days when there are lots of things to share (especially raining/snowy days), those days you can store some in the Fridge.

Remember frozen items don’t lose nutrients or grow spoilage, freezing purses the cycle.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:34am On Nov 25, 2023
jedisco:
Suellas spirit. Still kicking.

Her last point should have been to limit the number of kids folks who immiated can have.

Interesting how workers earlier on gulped the 6% public wage rise which was funded by immigrants, now cheered the reduction in taxes, increase in benefits and state pension. This new largesse was driven by an unexpected budget surplus largely due to relative economic growth. No one is asking what role immigrants/students played in making this possible

This Suella woman really needs to be examined, I don't think all is well with her.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:35am On Nov 25, 2023
Anbandaras:

If they sue my guarantor even when they are at fault ,do I stand any chance ?

This is the reason you try to resolve the issue(s), before it gets to litigation.......

If it goes through litigation, more charges would be added.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:43am On Nov 25, 2023
hustla:

cheesy grin

Apparent to the blind and deaf that once they came on air to say they intend to fund so and so with what they make from students, their sapa don start

Make we dey observe but i know things will still get very bad and they'll completely stop post study or something drastic to stop legal migration to their country

Before that time, make local man don exit their country. Just saw one fella on twitter who took the intra coy transfer route to Canada from UK.

Lots of people I know are going the Canada / Au PR route too smiley

E be like local man here go join you for this hustle abeg, we are on skilled worker visa so Japa inside Japa is very possible... Seriously ooo. But none of us have academic masters degree... Canada/Au or anywhere cool on my mind.

A friend just left for Ireland Tru Belfast (if u know u know) but I can't take that risk with family...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 7:56am On Nov 25, 2023
UniqueDext:
I already told her to fix my door and i will send her the money but she refused.

Please who know how i can go with the deposit scheme report claim please..

I have decided to go ahead and pay her, but I will pursue the deposit scheme option as it seems like dealing with civil issueslike this is kinda complicated.

If I am not mistaken, rent is prepaid which means you pay ahead.

Hence if you were late by a few days and she took off your door, I reckon you only owe her rent up until the day she took off your door not a full month's rent. From the day she took off the door, it was no longer suitable living space.

I no be lawyer but this is the default position I would take if someone did this to me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jhorjhor: 8:33am On Nov 25, 2023
Please, I just would like to know.

Incase these people implement suella and her minions' recommendations, will it come into effect immediately?

Especially scrapping post study, will it affect those of us already studying? Also, what will be the best way to go if psw is scrapped. Does one have to secure sponsorship before study visa elapses.

I'm also seeing that they recommended a cap on sponsorship visa. Limited to 45k annual pay and above
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by skankhunt101: 8:43am On Nov 25, 2023
makazona:

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate this. However, I am surprised that more than 2 week after my arrival, the BRP is not out yet. Have been waiting for the email endlessly.

Is that how slow the system is or am I being so much in a hurry? I need to start work. I need to start my life here... Looks as if I'm stagnant here.

Mine took almost 3 weeks, i contacted UKVI via email and got a response 2 business days later that it will be by the post office in 4 days time and it was actually there when i got there. Maybe you can try contact them at Brpcollection@homeoffice.gov.uk

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by skankhunt101: 8:53am On Nov 25, 2023
toughest007:

£31.99 + three months free is a decent deal.

I paid £40 (no free month) for one year and now paying £35.

I understand but we all have different circumstances. Thanks for your response
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 8:54am On Nov 25, 2023
ehizario2012:

I am not sure if this offer is still on, but how much was setup cost? What's the speed?

There was no setup cost as I was renewing expired contract. When my contract expired they increased the monthly payment I decided not to renew it at that time and got mobile broadband from another provider. That did not work out then I came back to Talktalk to renegotiate and this time around I was given a better deal
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:04am On Nov 25, 2023
justwise:

There was no setup cost as I was renewing expired contract. When my contract expired they increased the monthly payment I decided not to renew it at that time and got mobile broadband from another provider. That did not work out then I came back to Talktalk to renegotiate and this time around I was given a better deal

Oh okay.

How did the mobile broadband not work out? Please share.

Also is it possible to renegotiate fixed broadband deals?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:05am On Nov 25, 2023
jhorjhor:

Incase these people implement suella and her minions' recommendations, will it come into effect immediately?

Especially scrapping post study, will it affect those of us already studying? Also, what will be the best way to go if psw is scrapped. Does one have to secure sponsorship before study visa elapses.

I'm also seeing that they recommended a cap on sponsorship visa. Limited to 45k annual pay and above

Minions indeed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:48am On Nov 25, 2023
makazona:

That's how it's used to be. Even my decision letter said I should pick it 10 days max after arrival. I went to the Post Office 4 days after arrival yet no BRP. They collected my number and promised to call when the BRP is delivered. Call I nor see, BRP I nor see. My tired is tired walahi.

I think someone has had a similar issue before
Duchess90 on the student visa thread should know how to go about it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:50am On Nov 25, 2023
ehizario2012:

E be like local man here go join you for this hustle abeg, we are on skilled worker visa so Japa inside Japa is very possible... Seriously ooo. But none of us have academic masters degree... Canada/Au or anywhere cool on my mind.

A friend just left for Ireland Tru Belfast (if u know u know) but I can't take that risk with family...

If you're on skilled worker visa, you don't have issues naw (well I can't say LOL)

I just feel there will be lots of palava ahead with the way their policies are always blowing hot and cold
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:51am On Nov 25, 2023
jhorjhor:

No, it won't affect those in the UK already (as far as I know)

. .. But i just have a feeling they'll look at the effects of the dependent stuff they implemented in January.

If it doesn't cut down immigration to the desired levels they want, then PSW will have to go for some time

smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:14am On Nov 25, 2023
toughest007:

£31.99 + three months free is a decent deal.

I paid £40 (no free month) for one year and now paying £35.

And if you have an EE mobile contract, you also receive free unlimited data deal (shame I already have an unlimited EE data contracts)

I would have to renegotiate my EE mobile sim only deals ........🤣😁

Just spoke to EE....... My 2 EE lines just got upgraded to £8 + £8 pcm, with unlimited data + £31.99 super fibre + 3 months free......... 😁 (was previously £62.84), for both mobile lines..... 😍😂

No deal can be sweeter...... 😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 11:20am On Nov 25, 2023
dave0450:
Please is there anyone or that know someone that give out loan in Manchester, I need like £2k , abeg if anyone know kindly link me up

All banks give out loan or arranged overdraft
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by racerve(m): 11:25am On Nov 25, 2023
I need to ship some personal effects back to Nigeria via sea freight.

Can anyone please recommend service I can use for this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:02pm On Nov 25, 2023
dave0450:
Please is there anyone or that know someone that give out loan in Manchester, I need like £2k , abeg if anyone know kindly link me up

If your credit score is good, apply for Elfin credit card..... If it's approved, once you download app you can transfer £2K immediately (assuming you get a £2K credit limit)........

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:03pm On Nov 25, 2023
racerve:
I need to ship some personal effects back to Nigeria via sea freight.

Can anyone please recommend service I can use for this?

If you reside in the south east, head to plumstead, FARA awaits you ..........🤣😁

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 12:06pm On Nov 25, 2023
skankhunt101:

Mine took almost 3 weeks, i contacted UKVI via email and got a response 2 business days later that it will be by the post office in 4 days time and it was actually there when i got there. Maybe you can try contact them at Brpcollection@homeoffice.gov.uk

Thanks Skank. I did as you suggested. Seems alot is changing with these procedures. Just few minutes after sending them a mail, they replied 👇

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 12:11pm On Nov 25, 2023
hustla:

I think someone has had a similar issue before
Duchess90 on the student visa thread should know how to go about it

Ok. I will check on her and maybe another visit to the Post Office.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by racerve(m): 12:12pm On Nov 25, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If you reside in the south east, head to plumstead, FARA awaits you ..........🤣😁

Sadly, I'm in North-East England. I'll look them up though. Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2023
jhorjhor:

They definitely will not scrap PSW in the immediate to short term - that is off the table.

They are looking at other measures instead and as part of this they will raise the salary threshold eligibility for a skilled visa - though not as high as £45k (likely around £33 - £35k) but in any case they will exempt health and social care workers from this salary requirement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 2:36pm On Nov 25, 2023
Zahra29:

They definitely will not scrap PSW in the immediate to short term - that is off the table.

They are looking at other measures instead and as part of this they will raise the salary threshold eligibility for a skilled visa - though not as high as £45k (likely around £33 - £35k) but in any case they will exempt health and social care workers from this salary requirement.

Fully agree. It’s highly unlikely they’ll scrap PSW visa and even if they add restrictions it likely won’t apply to people already on the visa anyway.

Also agree re SW salary. The 45k Suella is pushing is just political red meat for the ‘base’. The more popular line is for it to be brought in line with the average salary in the country which is around 33 as you’ve said. That one is likely to happen.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 3:27pm On Nov 25, 2023
Lexusgs430:

And if you have an EE mobile contract, you also receive free unlimited data deal (shame I already have an unlimited EE data contracts)

I would have to renegotiate my EE mobile sim only deals ........🤣😁

Just spoke to EE....... My 2 EE lines just got upgraded to £8 + £8 pcm, with unlimited data + £31.99 super fibre + 3 months free......... 😁 (was previously £62.84), for both mobile lines..... 😍😂

No deal can be sweeter...... 😜

Hehehe... Enjoy yourself chief Lexusgs430!

Make I pin here with my hyperoptic! grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dduchess90(f): 3:37pm On Nov 25, 2023
Hello

Please use this link for post office collection issues, it’s a new service recently launched by HO and should go to the right team

https://www.biometric-residence-permit.service.gov.uk/collection

Cheers

makazona:

Ok. I will check on her and maybe another visit to the Post Office.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2023
How many come remain for Nigeria.........

By the time we add migration to other parts of the world nko...... 🤣😂

https://punchng.com/143990-nigerian-doctors-others-moved-to-uk-in-nine-months/

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.