Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,261 members, 7,818,889 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (333) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (471564 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MichaelUde: 5:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
Phil46:
Hello guys,

Can a student visa holder take on a fixed-term contract role immediately after they complete their study and have been cleared by the school to work full time?

Yes, you can. Fixed-term employment is allowed in between when your course end date has passed and before your student visa expires.

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information--advice/working/working-after-studies#layer-7044

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 5:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
hayesconcept:
No, You need to update your visa

Hm? This is not correct o.

Once you have been cleared off study by your university you are free to work full time.

Your student visa will fulfill the right to work requirements up till its expiry date, by which time you should have switched to another visa that will allow you continue in the role.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Strata1716: 6:18pm On Nov 30, 2023
Please forgive me if this has been treated before, I missed it and I’ve checked NL travel section but haven’t seen much of it.

Please I’ll like to get a credit card, I’m eligible for capital one credit card and would like to know if it’s a good credit card. Additionally please can anyone make recommendations on good credit card to have.

I am a year in the UK, thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 6:29pm On Nov 30, 2023
You can work full time with students visa once you have completed your degree. But you can’t take up permanent position in any company with student visa. It’s against the law.
Goodenoch:

Hm? This is not correct o.

Once you have been cleared off study by your university you are free to work full time.

Your student visa will fulfill the right to work requirements up till its expiry date, by which time you should have switched to another visa that will allow you continue in the role.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Overthinker: 6:35pm On Nov 30, 2023
Hello everyone I would like to know if anyone has an idea when an intent offer letter can be received from a bank role which resumption is for January and the interview has been conducted and told successful for a week now. Just a bit impatient now after so many unfortunate emails. I don't know if anyone has been in this position and how long did the offer letter take? @Thewritingnerd @Goke7 @hustla
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DInkMan(m): 7:16pm On Nov 30, 2023
Hi guys, I urgently need your inputs:
Please has anyone gone for US B1/B2 visa interview at London or Belfast. I already have the checklist of documents I must take along on appointment.

Just wanted to clarify what documents you submitted or they viewed during interview. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Evagreenfields: 8:10pm On Nov 30, 2023
Hi, I just got my B1/B2 visa earlier this week in London.

Went for the interview with my ds160 form, passport booklet, passport photograph and BRP (very important).

Took my payslip and work ID card just incase but I didn't need it as it wasn't asked for.

Hope this helps.

DInkMan:
Hi guys, I urgently need your inputs:
Please has anyone gone for US B1/B2 visa interview at London or Belfast. I already have the checklist of documents I must take along on appointment.

Just wanted to clarify what documents you submitted or they viewed during interview. Thanks

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 8:21pm On Nov 30, 2023
MichaelUde:

Yes, you can. Fixed-term employment is allowed in between when your course end date has passed and before your student visa expires.

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information--advice/working/working-after-studies#layer-7044

Thank you so much for the link. I t gave me the answer I've been looking for.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DInkMan(m): 8:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
Evagreenfields:
Hi, I just got my B1/B2 visa earlier this week in London.

Went for the interview with my ds160 form, passport booklet, passport photograph and BRP (very important).

Took my payslip and work ID card just incase but I didn't need it as it wasn't asked for.

Hope this helps.

Yes, very insightful and thanks for your prompt response.
Guys, I still need more inputs, please. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 8:24pm On Nov 30, 2023
hayesconcept:
No, You need to update your visa

Thanks for answering this. However the UCAS link someone shared above clarifies everything that one only needs to ensure it's not a permanent role. So fixed term is allowed based on the information. Thanks all the same. Much appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 8:27pm On Nov 30, 2023
hayesconcept:
You can work full time with students visa once you have completed your degree. But you can’t take up permanent position in any company with student visa. It’s against the law.

Please show where this is stated.

Edit: seen on the UKCISA page shared above. I didn't know that. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 9:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
EDIT: Wrong calculation. Lol. Should be Wednesday to Tuesday in that case, so still 20 hours. Apologies. 💀😬

[s] Ermmm this wouldn’t make sense and i know this is not the case;

because if you work from Monday to Wednesday on a 7/7/6 hour rota, taking a Wednesday to the next Wednesday would equal 26 hours, so no. So I’m pretty certain that’s not the case. [/s]

I just want to be certain what constitutes a week with the 20/hour restriction: Sunday to Saturday or Monday to Sunday.

MichaelUde:

The word "week" here doesn't necessarily mean calendar week, ie. Sunday to Saturday. It means any period of seven days.

So you should not work more than 20 hours within any 7-day period.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 9:38pm On Nov 30, 2023
Alright thank you.
fabulous2019:

Yes, but depends on the organization, some starts their week on Sunday to Saturday, ask them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 9:39pm On Nov 30, 2023
I have absolutely no idea, maybe someone else knows
Overthinker:
Hello everyone I would like to know if anyone has an idea when an intent offer letter can be received from a bank role which resumption is for January and the interview has been conducted and told successful for a week now. Just a bit impatient now after so many unfortunate emails. I don't know if anyone has been in this position and how long did the offer letter take? @Thewritingnerd @Goke7 @hustla
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 9:54pm On Nov 30, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
EDIT: Wrong calculation. Lol. Should be Wednesday to Tuesday in that case, so still 20 hours. Apologies. 💀😬

[s] Ermmm this wouldn’t make sense and i know this is not the case;

because if you work from Monday to Wednesday on a 7/7/6 hour rota, taking a Wednesday to the next Wednesday would equal 26 hours, so no. So I’m pretty certain that’s not the case. [/s]

I just want to be certain what constitutes a week with the 20/hour restriction: Sunday to Saturday or Monday to Sunday.

It is actually Monday to Sunday. So, whatever work you do for that period must not exceed 20 hours, regardless of whether you had 0 hours of work the previous week. Hope I got your question correctly.

https://www.internationalstudents.cam.ac.uk/student-visa-responsibilities/working-student-visa#:~:text=Working%20hours&text=A%20student%20visa%20issued%20for,averaged%20over%20a%20longer%20period.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Meogom: 10:56pm On Nov 30, 2023
Good evening my good people. I got a Penalty charge notice for wrong parking, but there was a mistake with the registration number, was 22 instead of 62. I tried paying or initiate an appeal on the council site, but it's not going through. When I try with the correct registration number it comes up with "the combination of notice number, VRM you have enter cannot be found, please try again". When I enter the one on the PCN, it says" there is currently nothing outstanding on this notice".
Don't knw how to progress from here, and I learnt its not good to just ignore PCN. Tried calling council, they said the only options for PCN is to either pay or appeal, that they don't offer any guidance on that,but I can't do any of those two.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 11:13pm On Nov 30, 2023
Meogom:
Good evening my good people. I got a Penalty charge notice for wrong parking, but there was a mistake with the registration number, was 22 instead of 62. I tried paying or initiate an appeal on the council site, but it's not going through. When I try with the correct registration number it comes up with "the combination of notice number, VRM you have enter cannot be found, please try again". When I enter the one on the PCN, it says" there is currently nothing outstanding on this notice".
Don't knw how to progress from here, and I learnt its not good to just ignore PCN. Tried calling council, they said the only options for PCN is to either pay or appeal, that they don't offer any guidance on that,but I can't do any of those two.
Why not contact the company that sent you the penalty charge?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:18pm On Nov 30, 2023
Yes yes, thanks a lot!
LionInZion:

It is actually Monday to Sunday. So, whatever work you do for that period must not exceed 20 hours, regardless of whether you had 0 hours of work the previous week. Hope I got your question correctly.

https://www.internationalstudents.cam.ac.uk/student-visa-responsibilities/working-student-visa#:~:text=Working%20hours&text=A%20student%20visa%20issued%20for,averaged%20over%20a%20longer%20period.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Meogom: 12:16am On Dec 01, 2023
[quote author=kwakudtraveller post=127252770]
Why not contact the company that sent you the penalty charge? [/quote

Its from the council, it was dropped on my screen. And I already called the council but was stonewalled.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 12:37am On Dec 01, 2023
Meogom:
If it was not your number, then it wasn't your car grin. Simply screenshot where you tried making payment and keep as evidence.
But let's wait for oga Lexusgs430
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:26am On Dec 01, 2023
Meogom:

It's almost your lucky day ........ What do you do ......

- Guard that ticket like you won the lotto...

- Send an appeal to the council, explaining your plight and their mess up. Include your details so they could respond back .......

What would they do ......

- They have pictures of your vehicle.....
- Another PCN cannot be reissued....
----- They would eventually have to cancel the PCN...... Your lucky day .......😁🤣

NB: The ticket inspector might be sent to vision 2020 or specsavers..........👀👀👀👀

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Seynex01: 4:53am On Dec 01, 2023
Hello,
A friend will be done with school in Dec, Two Company has offered to issue him COS, the first one is dormicilary care, while the other is a support work.

The dormicillary care is willing to switch his visa right away. While the support work says 6 weeks to the expiration of his visa which will be in April.

concerns are:
Wouldn’t the new skilled worker salary increment affect companies from issuing COS within the UK, when implemented.

Can any new policies affect switching visas within the UK regarding this plan in changing overseas skilled worker visa.

Is it okay, he takes the COS from the Dormicillary care and switch later to the support in April or should just wait, still April.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 5:42am On Dec 01, 2023
Your friend can’t switch his visa right away. He must finished his study. The only exceptional is if he’s doing his PHD. Tell your friend to rest small.
Seynex01:
Hello,
A friend will be done with school in Dec, Two Company has offered to issue him COS, the first one is dormicilary care, while the other is a support work.

The dormicillary care is willing to switch his visa right away. While the support work says 6 weeks to the expiration of his visa which will be in April.

concerns are:
Wouldn’t the new skilled worker salary increment affect companies from issuing COS within the UK, when implemented.

Can any new policies affect switching visas within the UK regarding this plan in changing overseas skilled worker visa.

Is it okay, he takes the COS from the Dormicillary care and switch later to the support in April or should just wait, still April.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 11:21am On Dec 01, 2023
Are there specific institute that are accredited to do nvq in uk? Cus i have searched and i have seen too many agencies and institute

My missus wants to do nvq in health and care pending the time she enters uk, so we wanna know which institute is recognized in uk that does nvq in health and care, please who knows any good reliable institute
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 11:40am On Dec 01, 2023
eniola1010:
Are there specific institute that are accredited to do nvq in uk? Cus i have searched and i have seen too many agencies and institute

My missus wants to do nvq in health and care pending the time she enters uk, so we wanna know which institute is recognized in uk that does nvq in health and care, please who knows any good reliable institute
PM me ,maybe i can help with some leads
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:49am On Dec 01, 2023
fabulous2019:
Good day house, I was on a skilled worker visa but have been dismissed by my former employer, the company is asking me to pay 10,000£ for the COS, because I didn’t work 5 years with them, and they want to serve me court paper, please anyone know the kind of lawyer or knows a lawyer I can get in uk, I live in Swansea (wales) because they did not use up to 3000£ to get my COS, please I need any good lawyer in uk

Thanks

Go and read the terms of your employment contract, all conditions are always normally clearly written in there.

As per visa sponsorship things, companies normally state the exact amount to pay back or how exactly to work it out, if you choose to leave them in less than a year or less than two years. Most companies won't require you to pay back any amount if you leave after two years for a three years sponsorship.

The terms of dismissal is also always stated. Check if you are dismissed wrongfully. But you don't seem worried about it.

The highlighted isn't quite clear to me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 12:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
Strata1716:
Please forgive me if this has been treated before, I missed it and I’ve checked NL travel section but haven’t seen much of it.

Please I’ll like to get a credit card, I’m eligible for capital one credit card and would like to know if it’s a good credit card. Additionally please can anyone make recommendations on good credit card to have.

I am a year in the UK, thank you.
Try amex (american express ) as I have both amex and capital one but it cheaper for me to borrow credit on amex than capital one and over time , my credit limit on amex has grown while the other one remains the same.
You can use this link to join the amex family :
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/credit-cards/referral/prospect/oPEYEAtcT5?XL=MNANS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 12:17pm On Dec 01, 2023
Viruses:

You were willing to pay the rent before matters escalated, unfortunately, it seems you listened to those saying don't pay; the landlord will be dealt with severely. This is another example of not taking all the advice you get here hook line and sinker, use your head.

Like I said before, you have already broken any agreement you had when you didn't pay rent and have even loosed your rights as a tenant, stop trying to see the fight to a finish.

Don't really want to sound insensitive but I would say it the way it is...

You are right. The impression I deciphered from his narrative was that he was like a day or two late and would pay like the next day. If he had paid around that period, things won't have been this ugly.

Its foolhardy to intentionally owe a LL rent cos some blokes on a faceless forum asked you not to pay when same LL has a commitment to pay mortgage on the property. Few days have ran into weeks!

I hope those that asked you not to pay your rent can also guide you through the beseeching turmoil. They appear to have all gone mute.

In the future, you can always cover things like rent with overdraft, and in severe occasions, loans. Try not to be in a sour relationship with your LLs, it's too stressful and a waste of energy and resources. Personally, I don't have time for all these shenanigans... going to court and paying £308 for a case you may not win and still pay the rent, calling the police and going over to their station, exchanging words with your LL and family etc.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 12:27pm On Dec 01, 2023
jum33:

PM me ,maybe i can help with some leads

My nl account has fault, pm dont work
But here goes my mail
Eniolaamodafuhad @ gmail dot com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 12:33pm On Dec 01, 2023
toughest007:

Don't really want to sound insensitive but I would say it the way it is...

You are right. The impression I deciphered from his narrative was that he was like a day or two late and would pay like the next day. If he had paid around that period, things won't have been this ugly.

Its foolhardy to intentionally owe a LL rent cos some blokes on a faceless forum asked you not to pay when same LL has a commitment to pay mortgage on the property. Few days have ran into weeks!

It’s not foolhardy to refuse to pay a landlord who comes to remove your door after a couple of days delay. If the OP doesn’t make her suffer for what she did beginning from not logging his deposit as required, the door removal and all the other things, I’d be very disappointed and she would have been very lucky to have gotten away with it only because she chose a soft target.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:49pm On Dec 01, 2023
Having passport issues in the UK...........

Whatsapp enquiries only........ +447398822482…...

Give it a try and update us....... 😂👍

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 12:53pm On Dec 01, 2023
Goodenoch:

It’s not foolhardy to refuse to pay a landlord who comes to remove your door after a couple of days delay. If the OP doesn’t make her suffer for what she did beginning from not logging his deposit as required, the door removal and all the other things, I’d be very disappointed and she would have been very lucky to have gotten away with it only because she chose a soft target.

Don't be responding emotionally. The OP has done a great deal of work painting the LL bad and evil and on that basis alone is your emotional response. If you look closely at people, there's always the good and bad side, it depends on which angle/lens you are viewing from.

Did you bother to speculate what could have happened if the OP immediately paid like he said he would? This could have happened... OP pays his rent and apologizes for it coming late, LL installs his door and also apologize for all inconveniences. OP continues to live and pay rent and life goes on, and at the end of his tenancy, he can then make a case for his deposit.

I have asked the OP to confirm if the LL became evil before or after renting out the space and intentionally refusing to pay his rent and dare her. He has been responding, but have refused to answer.

He took in someone, missed his rent by a couple of days and thereafter, bluntly refused to pay same rent and continues to dare her. This is being foolhardy.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (543) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Controlv, sammied(m), oluwaleokey, Lexusgs430 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.