Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467240 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (538) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 1:00pm On Dec 01, 2023
toughest007:

Don't be responding emotionally.

You're the one being emotional and sermonising about what is right and moral and whatnot.

I've spoken exclusively based on the law. You do you.

I pray the OP gets someone to take the matter up for him because it's people who don't have anyone that can do that, whom landlords like that love to oppress.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ayodelemi2300: 1:10pm On Dec 01, 2023
jum33:

Try amex (american express ) as I have both amex and capital one but it cheaper for me to borrow credit on amex than capital one and over time , my credit limit on amex has grown while the other one remains the same.
You can use this link to join the amex family :
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/credit-cards/referral/prospect/oPEYEAtcT5?XL=MNANS

I just tried to open AMEX with your link and I was denied. I’ll be a Year in the UK by the end of December. I also tried to register with Experian and I kept getting error message.

Kindly help recommendations on how to get a credit card and also track my credit score because I want to start building my credit in this country.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 1:19pm On Dec 01, 2023
Goodenoch:

You're the one being emotional and sermonising about what is right and moral and whatnot.

I've spoken exclusively based on the law. You do you.

I pray the OP gets someone to take the matter up for him because it's people who don't have anyone that can do that, whom landlords like that love to oppress.

Encouraging the OP not to pay his rent and asking him to go after his deposit is the law you have been quoting! How has the OP benefitted from all the laws you have quoted?

There are certain circumstances when common sense kicks in... Continue to pray and quote the law and not know when to apply common sense.

You think this life is all about gragra...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 1:24pm On Dec 01, 2023
Lexusgs430:
Having passport issues in the UK...........

Whatsapp enquiries only........ +447398822482…...

Give it a try and update us....... 😂👍

British Passport or Nigerian?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gergemam: 2:54pm On Dec 01, 2023
Ayodelemi2300:

I just tried to open AMEX with your link and I was denied. I’ll be a Year in the UK by the end of December. I also tried to register with Experian and I kept getting error message.

Kindly help recommendations on how to get a credit card and also track my credit score because I want to start building my credit in this country.

Register for ClearScore... That's where I got my First Capital one Credit Card.

Or try Capital One ... Though the limit can be around £200 - £500

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ralphlauren(m): 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2023
toughest007:

Don't really want to sound insensitive but I would say it the way it is...

You are right. The impression I deciphered from his narrative was that he was like a day or two late and would pay like the next day. If he had paid around that period, things won't have been this ugly.

Its foolhardy to intentionally owe a LL rent cos some blokes on a faceless forum asked you not to pay when same LL has a commitment to pay mortgage on the property. Few days have ran into weeks!

I hope those that asked you not to pay your rent can also guide you through the beseeching turmoil. They appear to have all gone mute.

In the future, you can always cover things like rent with overdraft, and in severe occasions, loans. Try not to be in a sour relationship with your LLs, it's too stressful and a waste of energy and resources. Personally, I don't have time for all these shenanigans... going to court and paying £308 for a case you may not win and still pay the rent, calling the police and going over to their station, exchanging words with your LL and family etc.

You are talking nonsense.

I'm a registered landlord for multiple properties and if I miss a direct debit, the bank will give me ample time to make that payment.

Even if there's financial difficulties, they will offer me several measures including payment holiday, switching to interst only mortage or extending the term of the mortgage or a combination of all three or more options.

Repossession is only the very last option from the bank when all other suggestions fail. Until the legal route is fully explored and concluded, no bank will come to the property to take a pin talk less of removing the door.

This is why you hear people born and bred here talking and complaining about the inability of some migrants to fit into the British culture or understand the legal framework of developed countries.

There's a legal route for a landlord to take if rent is delayed, etc. Removing the tenant's door is barbaric, completely illegal, shameful and should not be condoned.

I'm a landlord. Even if I'm owned rent for 6 months, I dare not go and remove the tenant's door. Are you aware that landlords are regulated? I can't get a mortgage without proof of my landlord registration.

People fail to understand that being a landlord is like any other business. There are risks involved. There's a risk to being owned rent, your property being damaged, etc just the same way there's a risk to me owning a grocery shop or restaurant and not having any patronage and having to shut down in 12 months.

There are rouge landlords which is why as a tenant, you must recognise one and do your due diligence and check to see both the landlord and the property are legally registered with the council before you rent the property.

That we are Africans doesn't mean we should import the lawlessness we are accustomed to in our home country.

She's very lucky to get away with what she did. People like her choose their targets ("tenants" ) carefully. If the tenant was a lady or a family/single parent with a minor, she won't try what she did without the police intervening.

Not all councils have overburdened police force. Try what she did in Scotland and see if the police won't show up at your door step same day irrespective of your gender.

29 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 3:42pm On Dec 01, 2023
toughest007:

In the future, you can always cover things like rent with overdraft, and in severe occasions, loans. Try not to be in a sour relationship with your LLs, it's too stressful and a waste of energy and resources. Personally, I don't have time for all these shenanigans... going to court and paying £308 for a case you may not win and still pay the rent , calling the police and going over to their station, exchanging words with your LL and family etc.

Even if he owed the LL 1 year rent, she has absolutely no right to do what she did. This guy has a very good chance of flooring her in the court. The LL should have gone to court if she was that concerned.

toughest007:

Did you bother to speculate what could have happened if the OP immediately paid like he said he would? This could have happened... OP pays his rent and apologizes for it coming late, LL installs his door and also apologize for all inconveniences. OP continues to live and pay rent and life goes on, and at the end of his tenancy, he can then make a case for his deposit.

Just like that? shocked Who's going to pay for the days and nights without a door? Who's going to pay for the invasion of privacy? Who's going to pay for the cold suffered by the guy?
Please let's drop this kind of mentality. It is one of the greatest contributors to the mess Nigeria is in today. There re laws for a reason.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ralphlauren(m): 4:38pm On Dec 01, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

You are saying a shit load of bullocks. Maybe where you are from, it’s perfectly legal for landlords to take down doors and threaten tenants after a few days of missing rent but here in the UK where laws and several bodies exist to protect tenants, that LL is in trouble. You sound like you see bullying as a normal behaviour hence your verbose statements. You’ve moved to a saner country now so refrain from the mumu and timid mindset of always letting things go out of fear or meekness and use the laws that exist to protect you to the fullest.

Imagine asking why the guy has not paid his rent after the landlord took down his room door and then locked him out, mcheeew what a silly question.

The laws eh shocked ust the same way Scottish Government woke up one sweet morning and decided to put a 6 months ban on any rent increase for existing tenant. Meanwhile, no be them buy house for landlords or pay their mortgage, etc.

Like that wasn't "bad" enough, after 6 months, they put a cap of 3%. If a landlord wants 6% , they must apply to the rent tribunal. Meanwhile tenant must be given at least 3 months notice for any rent increase and you can only increase the rent once in 12 months.

Landlord and agents are not allowed to collect letting fee. These are some of the stringent conditions landlords must follow.

Now if a government can put all these in place to protect tenants, now imagine the fate of a landlord that decides to go and remove the door to a property where someone resides. Is that not criminal case for the landlord on a platter of gold ? grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:04pm On Dec 01, 2023
Ralphlauren:

The laws eh shocked ust the same way Scottish Government woke up one sweet morning and decided to put a 6 months ban on any rent increase for existing tenant. Meanwhile, no be them buy house for landlords or pay their mortgage, etc.

Like that wasn't "bad" enough, after 6 months, they put a cap of 3%. If a landlord wants 6% , they must apply to the rent tribunal. Meanwhile tenant must be given at least 3 months notice for any rent increase and you can only increase the rent once in 12 months.

Landlord and agents are not allowed to collect letting fee. These are some of the stringent conditions landlords must follow.

Now if a government can put all these in place to protect tenants, now imagine the fate of a landlord that decides to go and remove the door to a property where someone resides. Is that not criminal case for the landlord on a platter of gold ? grin
Bro I can’t even begin to imagine. The laws truly favour the tenants, that’s why I’m shocked by what that poster is saying. He must be trolling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:02pm On Dec 01, 2023
Regex:

British Passport or Nigerian?

Nah department wey no dey work, dey issue WhatsApp only chats........🤣😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Nah department wey no dey work, dey issue WhatsApp only chats........🤣😁

😂 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2023
“You think this life is all about gragra... “ is exactly what will keep emboldening the landlord to do the same to any immigrant tenant coming after him.
toughest007:

Encouraging the OP not to pay his rent and asking him to go after his deposit is the law you have been quoting! How has the OP benefitted from all the laws you have quoted?

There are certain circumstances when common sense kicks in... Continue to pray and quote the law and not know when to apply common sense.

You think this life is all about gragra...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 6:58pm On Dec 01, 2023
Yy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 7:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
“You think this life is all about gragra... “ is exactly what will keep emboldening the landlord to do the same to any immigrant tenant coming after him.

Yea, yea... You are right in some way. But two wrongs don't make a right. Point noted.

Message passed without insult, that shows maturity.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:06pm On Dec 01, 2023
It’s ironic talking about:

“laws should not be abused” and “abuse we are suffering in Nigeria”

… and in the same breath blaming the OP for involving enforcement agencies that could have stepped in but are delaying. And still yet blaming the OP for not paying a rent to a place with no doors.

Very contradictory, I have to say.

toughest007:

Show me where I advised the OP not go to court and claim millions or not to call the police on her or not to fight her and her kids or not to abuse her or not to break her doors too!

Don't be silly young man! Laws are not meant to be abused!!! It's such stupid mentality that brings about the abuse we are suffering in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2023
After all that’s been said, I just hope the next tenant to that landlady is someone who really has all the luxury of time and resources to slug it out with her.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
It’s ironic talking about:

“laws should not be abused” and “abuse we are suffering in Nigeria”

… and in the same breath [b]blaming the OP for involving enforcement agencies [/b]that could have stepped in but are delaying. And still yet blaming the OP for not paying a rent to a place with no doors.

Very contradictory, I have to say.

Could you please show me where I blamed the OP for involving enforcement agencies?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 7:20pm On Dec 01, 2023
Na wa oh. The kind of bile being thrown around here these days. The level of toxicity on this thread is just insane. I really hope this isn’t a a representation of Nigerians in the UK generally.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 8:05pm On Dec 01, 2023
toughest007:

Show me where I advised the OP not go to court and claim millions or not to call the police on her or not to fight her and her kids or not to abuse her or not to break her doors too!

Don't be silly young man! Laws are not meant to be abused!!! It's such stupid mentality that brings about the abuse we are suffering in Nigeria.

Looks like you quoted the wrong person. I never said you asked him not to go to court.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Meogom: 10:31pm On Dec 01, 2023
[quote author=Lexusgs430 post=127253622]

It's almost your lucky day ........ What do you do ......

- Guard that ticket like you won the lotto...

- Send an appeal to the council, explaining your plight and their mess up. Include your details so they could respond back .......

What would they do ......

- They have pictures of your vehicle.....
- Another PCN cannot be reissued....
----- They would eventually have to cancel the PCN...... Your lucky day .......😁🤣

NB: The ticket inspector might be sent to vision 2020 or specsavers..........👀👀👀👀

Thanks sir @Lexusgs430, I've done as you advised, I await their response. Agba yin a dale o

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (538) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Thewritingnerd(f), Treadway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.