Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,241 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (332) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460173 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 8:47pm On Nov 29, 2023
Zahra29:

Where in the UK are you based - England or Scotland?In England the rules are that the child must turn 4 by the 31st of August to be enrolled in the same academic year. So if your daughter was born in November 2019 then she isn't eligible to start reception until next year.
It's a very strict rule that isn't waived based on academic ability or maturity or other criteria.
She will be eligible for reception the term after she turns 4.. parents need to apply re England
.. and yes you are correct it is not about ability/maturity etc

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tenibegilojuo: 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

I remember when I got my current job with the NHS, despite the fact that they confirmed that they will sponsor me, they said I SHOULD NOT RESIGN until I have a start date.

Not only you do not have a start date, you don’t even have a confirmation that they will sponsor you.

Thanks for your feedback but just to let you know that I already have a start date as I now have my unconditional offer. I even had my starting salary reviewed upwards and the letter reissued. The only issue is the fact that CoS is not mentioned anywhere on it and this I am going to address before I resign my current job. Meanwhile, I discussed about my need for CoS during my interview and there was no pushback so that also contributed to my assumption.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 9:57pm On Nov 29, 2023
Tenibegilojuo:

Thanks for your feedback but just to let you know that I already have a start date as I now have my unconditional offer. I even had my starting salary reviewed upwards and the letter reissued. The only issue is the fact that CoS is not mentioned anywhere on it and this I am going to address before I resign my current job. Meanwhile, I discussed about my need for CoS during my interview and there was no pushback so that also contributed to my assumption.

👍👍👍
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:28pm On Nov 29, 2023
UniqueDext:
Guys I have decided to move out and have my peace of mind.
But my problem now is that the landlord have decided that she will not give me my deposit.
Please what are the best and fast legal way I can use to get my deposit back from her?

Also she didn't register it on any deposit scheme, how do I go about it please.

Easy way is stay out the duration of the deposit amount.

I typed "house rent deposit" on google and saw that if you are not able to reach an agreement with your landlord, you can seek court redress which will cost £308 and will be refunded if you win. You can also get free legal advice before going to court. Considering you don't have a contract or agreement, what are your chances of winning the case? Does the chats, rent payments etc you have as evidence state that your deposit will be protected?

You were willing to pay the rent before matters escalated, unfortunately, it seems you listened to those saying don't pay; the landlord will be dealt with severely. This is another example of not taking all the advice you get here hook line and sinker, use your head.

Like I said before, you have already broken any agreement you had when you didn't pay rent and have even loosed your rights as a tenant, stop trying to see the fight to a finish.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:33pm On Nov 29, 2023
Come to think of it, does it mean all the section 21, etc we have been quoting on this thread is not all what it seems.

Reading them here before now one would think that if your landlord as much as walk pass your front door without permission s/he is a goner or this case is just different because there is no contract.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:51pm On Nov 29, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:01pm On Nov 29, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ralphlauren(m): 11:23pm On Nov 29, 2023
giselle237:
she is eligible for reception class the term after her 4th birthday so I believe you are on track.

Term starts in September
Child's birthday is in November
So she can't enrol in primary school until next year.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nineville(m): 11:55pm On Nov 29, 2023
justwise:

My question is this.. if you studied a particular subject and applied for jobs with no success what do you do? Go back to school to get more certificate ? Go back to Nigeria to start looking for job? Thinking that you must work in the area you studied is outdated. Education gives you the exposure , the ability to make rational decisions.

Yes this may sound controversial but given the choice I will take health care sponsorship over PSW.

PSW should be avoided if you can, I will take it if that is the only option available.

A just wise & optimistic advice! This is a strong message that conveys resilience, resourcefulness, and optimism. Instead of letting setbacks or obstacles bring you down, with God, positive attitude & strong determination, find a way to overcome them and create something beneficial and enjoyable from the experience.

Note: This is one of the numerous times I do agree with Justwise, otherwise, I simply disregard, no time for debate 😀.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:04am On Nov 30, 2023
giselle237:
She will be eligible for reception the term after she turns 4.. parents need to apply re England
.. and yes you are correct it is not about ability/maturity etc

Reception is the 1st year of primary school , not nursery, so there is no such thing as the term after she turns 4. She will not be eligible to start reception until September 2024, along with other children born between Sep 1 2019 and Aug 31 2020. She may start later than Sep 2024, but cannot start earlier. Them's the rules.

School starting age
Most children start reception full-time in September after their fourth birthday.

For example, if your child turns 4 in June, they’ll usually start school in September that same year.

If you want your child to start later
If you do not think your child is ready to start school in September, they can start later. For example, if your child only turns 4 in August, you might decide to wait before sending them to school. But they must be in full-time education by the time they reach ‘compulsory school age’.

They can start:

part time
part-way through the year
in the next school year, in the September after they turn 5

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 12:21am On Nov 30, 2023
@UniqueDext, I m really sorry you have heard nothing back from all the people whose job is to help.

Unfortunately, with decline of public institutions there has never been a better time to be a criminal than now.

As you have chased up shelter many times( I sincerely hope you did chase them) , have you tried the local papers? Let me tell you , a call from a reporter can sort things out in an hour. There ll be no blowback for you because you haven't done anything wrong except be a few days late with rent which is not a crime.

You can ask if they can do a story anonymously if you prefer , too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 12:23am On Nov 30, 2023
Hello guys,

Can a student visa holder take on a fixed-term contract role immediately after they complete their study and have been cleared by the school to work full time?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilymond(f): 3:36am On Nov 30, 2023
Thanks Goke and Bigtt.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 5:14am On Nov 30, 2023
None yet but I began the process online, awaiting further response from them (police team).

iyatrustee:

After 1° na 0° remain! Minus something degrees still dey wait you for front!

-1, -2, -3, -4,-5,-6,-7,-8-9

Choose your minus carefully! cheesy

@Bigtt76, please what information have you gotten about police clearance? Someone I know here needs it urgently.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 6:28am On Nov 30, 2023
Just what I was saying the other day

https://news.sky.com/story/nottingham-city-council-declares-itself-effectively-bankrupt-13018935

bigtt76:
Their condition is better off compared to the councils.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 7:29am On Nov 30, 2023
fabulous2019:
Good day house, I was on a skilled worker visa but have been dismissed by my former employer, the company is asking me to pay 10,000£ for the COS, because I didn’t work 5 years with them, and they want to serve me court paper, please anyone know the kind of lawyer or knows a lawyer I can get in uk, I live in Swansea (wales) because they did not use up to 3000£ to get my COS, please I need any good lawyer in uk

Thanks

If your conversations so far have been on the phone, switch to email so there is a clear record.

To note.

1. It illegal for an employer to pass on visa costs to an employee

2. If they are asking for a sum, get them to confirm the sum and what its for in an email.

3. Once they do that and mention visa/COS cost, the next move depends on you. You might remind them that its illegal and afterwards ignore. I'd expect they go silent immediately. Also raising a compliant with the home office (visa licence), a relevant employment body or overseeing body (e.g CQC for care) is a reasonable option to ensure they don't keep this on rpt.

4. For other training costs in general, it's a vague area. While some employers do that, the costs have to be reasonable and proportional. The highest I've seen is 2-3k and thats for a job paying over 50k.

5. What exactly is on your contract? If not stated, they have no backing

6. Even if signed, no court would allow them claw back 10k as employment feefor a regular job. They'd be toast for even stating this in public

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 9:25am On Nov 30, 2023
Thanks very much for the advice, there was a signed contract, I would follow your advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 9:30am On Nov 30, 2023
Ukliving:

Your previous post isn't clear.

Isn't your visa tied to the employer?

Also did you sign that you are going to pay £10,000 before starting the job?

I signed a contract
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 9:33am On Nov 30, 2023
heroshark:

Was this stated in your contract? Did you signed any contract saying that you will pay the sum if you leave the company within a specified period?

My contract had a phrase that mentioned that I will pay 50% of my visa cost (see attached) if I leave the company within 2years of joining and immediately I resume they sent me the total cost of my visa and asked me to sign and return it. The total cost in my case was less than 3k

There was a contract signed, but the visa I was given was for only 3 years and I have worked for about10 months
Please do you have the breakdown of fee for skilled sponsorships for care in the ukvi

If you did not sign any such agreement then they don't have a case.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 9:35am On Nov 30, 2023
Please do anyone have the total breakdown companies pay for getting COS for employees in the care sector

Thanks will be much appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Adeshizzy: 9:46am On Nov 30, 2023
OgbeniOptional:
I don’t know about any other place o, but if you work in NHS, if you really know what you are doing and show interest, you can go far higher than you think. It might take time but you can go far. Our director of nursing, a Nigerian started from HCA, he didn’t come with study but all these spousal visa thing then, worked his way up and 18 years later, he’s our director of nursing.

I’m starting band 4 or nursing degree next year depending on funding availability for the nursing degree as there are crazy competition for it and I project to be a nurse in 4/5 years. I also have the option to enroll for Education mental health practitioner trainee next year and after 1 year study I become band 5 EMHP working in schools which is not my thing. Yes it’s taking time but I’m not paying for it. It my manager who is recommending these options for us but sadly these oyinbo people are not really bothered about progression. what some people take for granted in elearning courses and attending training, I take it very seriously and always finish them ahead of time. I got my eyes on other stuff too and in fact other japa opportunities but I’m still here and if top jobs are not showing in my field, I should be walking my way up with what I have got.

A top guy from naija who started with care with nhs and when he saw a hotel service manager job posting recently from same trust that he qualified for, he applied and got the job. The thing is, there are massive opportunities for most fields in health and social care in UK, I know for some, age can be a factor but still It takes patience and we will be alright. Please not all hca/hcsw dey wash yansh o, im hca in mental health and I never see poop before

Nice write up you have got, i feel the most important thing is that whatever sector we find ourselves,one should endeavour to skill up to be at par with what is obtainable in that industry,because opportunities may arise any moment. i work as a support worker,but recently there was an Admin Assistant job opening in the care home where i work, a guy that we came in as a support worker applies and he got the job. and that was how he moved up from a support worker to an admin assistant.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:28am On Nov 30, 2023
UniqueDext:
My brother, i dont have the keys to the house after she changed it.
Now almost everytime i come back i have to stay outside for 1 to 4 hours until someone from the house is leaving or going inside then i follow up to enter.

Its crazy, the room is also cold with no furniture anymore as she took everything out.

You cant believe what this woman did to me on Sunday with her kids..
They came on Sunday to make mockery of me, with her two little kids of 4 to 6 years i guess..
All where insulting me and telling me how stupid I am and how I sleep in such room, man this kids where throwing insult on me with there mother to the extent that the kids later told the mother that am now looking like a depressed person that she should pity me..

It's really crazy what kind of person the woman is..
I recorded everything without her knowing my phone was on recording...
I really don't want to see this woman get away with all this act she did but I have to find somewhere else to keep my head and have a good sleep..
I have paid for a place now but I still want to collect my deposits and if possible sue her for not registering the deposit on a scheme.
Please if anyone can guide me on how to go about it, I will really appreciate it..

Since you have decided to move out and gotten another place you can still get your deposit back, don't just give up, it takes time but at the end you will get your money.

If your landlord does not protect your deposit
Contact a tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) if you’re not sure whether your deposit has been protected.

Deposit Protection Service
Telephone: 0330 303 0030

MyDeposits
Telephone: 0333 321 9401

Tenancy Deposit Scheme
deposits@tenancydepositscheme.com
Telephone: 0300 037 1000
Find out about call charges.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 11:14am On Nov 30, 2023
fabulous2019:

And the company already collected my full salary, but thank God I have switched to dependent visa right now

Please do anyone have the total breakdown companies pay for getting COS for employees in the care sector

🙏🙏🙏

Thanks will be much appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
Hi guys, please for the 20 hour per week student visa restriction, what days count as a full week? Is it Monday to Sunday?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 1:43pm On Nov 30, 2023
fabulous2019:

I signed a contract

If you signed a contract that you'll pay for leaving before the end of 5 years then that might count against you.

I hope it all works out though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ukliving:

If you signed a contract that you'll pay for leaving before the end of 5 years then that might count against you.

I hope it all works out though

Yes I signed a contract but most people says even if you sign a contract, they are not supposed to collect that huge sum, I am in Unison union, just they are delaying, but I am still chasing them up, I used to pay 14£ monthly to them, so I really need to disturb them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 2:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Hi guys, please for the 20 hour per week student visa restriction, what days count as a full week? Is it Monday to Sunday?

Yes, but depends on the organization, some starts their week on Sunday to Saturday, ask them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 2:17pm On Nov 30, 2023
[quote author=fabulous2019 post=127239522][/quote]

Nope, see attached. Mine is not Healthcare visa and also not on the shortage occupation list so the cost is more expensive.
My firm usually outsource the visa application to a 3rd party so the additional cost of 1.1k for professional services.

Hence I assume your total cost will be far less than my own.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fabulous2019: 3:50pm On Nov 30, 2023
🙏 thank s
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 4:58pm On Nov 30, 2023
Songs are already in audiomack. It’s arguably one of the the best Nigerian song you’d hear right now

Would be available on all platforms in 9 days.

Thanks for your support

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 5:15pm On Nov 30, 2023
No, You need to update your visa
Phil46:
Hello guys,

Can a student visa holder take on a fixed-term contract role immediately after they complete their study and have been cleared by the school to work full time?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MichaelUde: 5:36pm On Nov 30, 2023
Thewritingnerd:

The word "week" here doesn't necessarily mean calendar week, ie. Sunday to Saturday. It means any period of seven days.

So you should not work more than 20 hours within any 7-day period.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: realking(m), misterkelly, Dharmie02, eolme(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.