Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,930 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (347) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460929 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 11:08am On Dec 06, 2023
Thegamingorca:

Yup. Even if you have settled status or own a passport your intended partner is still bound by it.

British citizens themselves can't marry from other countries and have them come over unless they will earn same sizable amount. cheesy

I mean they targeted everyone planning to marry from Africa or Asia, citizen or not.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hammed71(m): 11:08am On Dec 06, 2023
Lexusgs430:
Isn't life very strange....... Those outside, want to come inside...... Those inside, want to go outside......

Life is indeed never a bed of roses πŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸŒΉ.....πŸ€£πŸ˜„
naija to UK to Canada to USA to Australia to naija/south America/asia

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 11:11am On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Yes, this bit I agree with and I expect it to be challenged in the courts because of the unfairness to their own citizens who should not have to choose between leaving their homeland or leaving their loved ones.

But then again, the govt will argue that they can bring their family over on the 10 year route , if they are not able to meet the income requirements for the normal 5 year route.
So there is still a way for families to be together (it will just take longer to reach settlement)

10yrs without your family? 10yrs of travelling back home and back? Yeah you are right … they did not force anyone to come here, so people deserve what they are getting.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 11:12am On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Visitor visas with what duration? Also, the UK gives 60 days to find another job, they don't ask people to leave immediately.

How come the US requires them to find a sponsor,which then limits the pool of potential employers? Why not allow them to apply to any company, no restrictions?

six months per entry into the US since you're asking and is sponsorship the only pathway in the US? don't they have several professional pathways without the need for sponsorship? and be realistic how many people see a job within 2 months or 60 days haba

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 11:15am On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

But not impossible. There are exceptions - a British citizen who is not able to meet the new income threshold can still bring their partner over, just on a 10 yr route, as is currently the case

Wait until Trump gets back into power, we all know how he feels about migration from s**th**e countries. Im sure the UK will soon appear extremely liberal in comparison grin

they must suffer that 10 years sha, chai, and as for Trump shebi he will stand for election like the Tories too so don't go there yet

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 11:19am On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Brightest are leaving, brightest are also coming. That's globalisation. The "brightest" have no issues getting visas in the UK or elsewhere

Brightest? Was not in this thread that we were told that the brightest go to Canada while the UK are left with old , unskilled and uneducated ones?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:21am On Dec 06, 2023
hammed71:
naija to UK to Canada to USA to Australia to naija/south America/asia

And return back to nigeria (before retirement age).......πŸ€£πŸ˜„

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 11:22am On Dec 06, 2023
Lexusgs430:

One wife, one problem.........😁🀣

haha. You can get 2 then so one problem go cancel another one problem and that = 0 problem grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:23am On Dec 06, 2023
LionInZion:

haha. You can get 2 then so one problem go cancel another one problem and that = 0 problem grin grin

Let's hope his life is not cancelled in the process........😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 11:23am On Dec 06, 2023
justwise:

Brightest? Was not in this thread that we were told that the brightest go to Canada while the UK are left with old , unskilled and uneducated ones?

Yes I remember o, we were even told that most people coming into the UK can never qualify for Canada, this thread don see shege for this matter grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 11:42am On Dec 06, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Let's hope his life is not cancelled in the process........😁

Haha this one choke ooooooo grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:46am On Dec 06, 2023
That small salary part ehn! I can’t believe the peanuts they pay people who keep vulnerable and ill people alive. It’s soβ€” πŸ₯΄

hustla:

I don't have any issues with their policies tbh as it's up to me to leave or stay and I have maintained my position from the day i landed in this country.

I know they will feel the effects in the coming months and start fighting in house. Na that one I dey wait for cos its always funny

If I had a nurse wife, the UK will be the last country we will consider. Too many wahala, restrictions, complains and unstable policies. Ontop the small average salaries they earn at the end of the day

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:57am On Dec 06, 2023
πŸ’―
hustla:

Its a one sided submission and that's where the issue lies.

Folks in Biomedical sciences, Education, HR should be able to thrive just as much as those in Tech.

I do understand that they have to do what they need to do for their political party to thrive but the policies may stifle immigrants who are paying every step of the way

For instance, I may have to pay Β£2900 for PSW. That extra Β£1000 could have been used to write CISSP Or contribute towards buying a house.. Or even visit home but alas..

Renewal in Canada is less than Β£350 so you can't blame folks who have issues with their policies
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by excelchips(m): 12:09pm On Dec 06, 2023
Hello, Good people is it possible to buy a vehicle here in the UK, park it in the house without paying tax and insurance since one has not got a driving license ?
It is been difficult to get driving test done in Edinburgh/Musselbrugh centre. I have test on the 14th December but no vehicle for the test. Does anyone know a car rental service I can contact apart from ArnoldClark as their vehcile are booked for the day.
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:16pm On Dec 06, 2023
justwise:

10yrs without your family? 10yrs of travelling back home and back? Yeah you are right … they did not force anyone to come here, so people deserve what they are getting.

I was referring to your comment about the family visa income requirements (for British citizens and settled residents) and the 10 years means that their partner gets leave to remain in the UK and can work, travel etc but it will take them 10 years to get to ILR (unless they become able to meet the income requirements, in which case they can switch to the 5 year route to settlement)

In any case, it's a moot point because the rule will get struck down by the courts as an unjustifiably high threshold which impacts a British citizens right to family life.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:20pm On Dec 06, 2023
Goke7:

six months per entry into the US since you're asking and is sponsorship the only pathway in the US? don't they have several professional pathways without the need for sponsorship? and be realistic how many people see a job within 2 months or 60 days haba

Sponsorship is also not the only pathway to settlement in the UK.

For example, in the UK you can apply for leave to remain on the basis of having a British child- as soon as the child is born, unlike the US where the parent of an American citizen has to wait till the child grows up and is able to file for them.

So there are swings and roundabouts both ways.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2023
justwise:

It was also on this thread, many months ago, that we were told that Nigeria was sending its "best and brightest" (or was it "brightest and best" lol) to the UK to help the UK...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:39pm On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

For example, in the UK you can apply for leave to remain on the basis of having a British child- as soon as the child is born, unlike the US where the parent of an American citizen has to wait till the child grows up and is able to file for them.

sponsorship is the only pathway for professionals, the global talent route is very restrictive as usual, and only covers very few disciplines. The options are not there hence the overloaded care route. My concern is always for those with professional experience. The UK pretends as if it doesn't need them cos it's only the money they can get they are always after. The system is like a Hotel business, pay for some number of nights, pack your load, and go.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gloriouscrown: 12:48pm On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Hi Zahra29, by British child do you mean a child born here in the UK or with one parent already a British citizen?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:12pm On Dec 06, 2023
Gloriouscrown:

Hi Zahra29, by British child do you mean a child born here in the UK or with one parent already a British citizen?

Hi Glorious, both really - if one parent is British then the child is automatically British by birth and the non citizen parent can apply for leave to remain on the basis of their British child. It is a 10 year route though, so it's mainly used if the non citizen parent is not able to qualify for another type of residence permit.

Also if a child is born in the UK to non citizen or settled parents, and lives here until they are 10 years old, then the child can register as a British citizen, and his parents can apply for leave to remain as the parents of a British child. Once again it's a 10 yr route to settlement.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 1:15pm On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Visitor visas with what duration? Also, the UK gives 60 days to find another job, they don't ask people to leave immediately.

How come the US requires them to find a sponsor,which then limits the pool of potential employers? Why not allow them to apply to any company, no restrictions?

U.S visitor visa is two years at least but 5yrs for Nigerians and some other countries
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:17pm On Dec 06, 2023
Goke7:

sponsorship is the only pathway for professionals, the global talent route is very restrictive as usual, and only covers very few disciplines. [b]The options are not there [/b]hence the overloaded care route. My concern is always for those with professional experience. The UK pretends as if it doesn't need them cos it's only the money they can get they are always after. The system is like a Hotel business, pay for some number of nights, pack your load, and go.

I get your point, but any lack of options is down to the companies that may not want to sponsor. The government has removed/reduced the barriers to sponsorship since Brexit, it's now up to individual companies if they choose to sponsor or not.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 1:18pm On Dec 06, 2023
Goke7:

Are u sure it is 6months? U.S is mostly 2yrs o except they gave those people special visa type
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:24pm On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

I get your point, but any lack of options is down to the companies that may not want to sponsor. The government has removed/reduced the barriers to sponsorship since Brexit, it's now up to individual companies if they choose to sponsor or not.

there are still barriers, the residence test is back though not formally announced but Anuty Suella started telling companies to consider locals first bringing back the residence test through the back door. This is why sponsorship outside healthcare is reducing these days.

The immigration skills charge is another issue and I can't blame companies cos of the high rising costs of living and lean budget these days. The Graduate scheme route which is what many companies use to avoid immigration skills charges by employing those on the student visas is now under threat with the increase in the salary requirement. Am not arguing but making a point that the barriers are there.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:26pm On Dec 06, 2023
Poanan:

Are u sure it is 6months? U.S is mostly 2yrs o except they gave those people special visa type

It's 5 years like you said for Nigerians but you can only stay for six months and then leave to re-enter for another six months. Same with Canada visitor visa no matter the length they give. The good thing is that once you make another application for another kind of visa, you can continue to stay beyond the six months till you get the decision on that application which they call an adjustment of status
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 2:38pm On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Yes, this bit I agree with and I expect it to be challenged in the courts because of the unfairness to their own citizens who should not have to choose between leaving their homeland or leaving their loved ones.

But then again, the govt will argue that they can bring their family over on the 10 year route , if they are not able to meet the income requirements for the normal 5 year route.
So there is still a way for families to be together (it will just take longer to reach settlement)

What is the 10yr route?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 3:14pm On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Don't you have to prove you're the primary caregiver?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 3:30pm On Dec 06, 2023
Goke7:

It's 5 years like you said for Nigerians but you can only stay for six months and then leave to re-enter for another six months. Same with Canada visitor visa no matter the length they give. The good thing is that once you make another application for another kind of visa, you can continue to stay beyond the six months till you get the decision on that application which they call an adjustment of status

Just to add context to the up to six months on US visit visa. CBP at the port of entry determine how long you can stay..in the past they would stamp that length on your passport now it's available online check i94 I think it's called. So they might put up to 6 months or sometimes less.

Yes you can adjust status AOS on a visit visa however only certain visas categories can you adjust status to without having to leave the US. And even those have certain restrictions.
Typically those visa categories related to immediate families eg marriage spouse and children.are more straight forward
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:44pm On Dec 06, 2023
Poanan:

U.S visitor visa is two years at least but 5yrs for Nigerians and some other countries

My house mate got 5 years yesterday. He is beside me with the passport as I am typing laidis

wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:46pm On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

Canada that is the the western beacon of liberal immigration has an annual quota on the number of PRs it issues out, and I read that currently the number of international students exceeds this quota by several hundred thousand.

How many immigrants in the US had to leave earlier on when they lost their jobs and sponsorships, despite working in the US for many years. Why don't canada and the US just print out visas to allow all these people to stay back permanently?

Look at the tougher policies that Sweden has just rolled out, Sweden used to be very liberal. Norway has stopped free tuition for overseas students, I heard Germany is doing the same from next year.

Every western country is facing a huge and unrelenting demand from immigrants seeking a better life, and all are having to write and rewrite policies that will put their interests first and cherry pick the immigrants that they do want. They can't absorb everyone so they are being selective (even to refugees), which may sound unfair to some but unfortunately that's the current state of affairs.

Well, cant be argued

They all will do what will favour them in the long run depending on available information

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hkana: 4:29pm On Dec 06, 2023
hustla:

My house mate got 5 years yesterday. He is beside me with the passport as I am typing laidis

wink

I don send you pm, hustla
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by cbn4main: 4:47pm On Dec 06, 2023
Elders in the house,
I just got a collection mail for my Mother-in-law's visit visa.

Should I expect a decision mail or I should assume that the visa was successful?

The passport will be delivered in 48 hours.

(1) (2) (3) ... (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Hkana, OlaLiberty(m), toughest007, oluxmondd2, kwell(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.