Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (370) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463946 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:08pm On Dec 12, 2023
Zahra29:

Savage! grin 😂 😂

You know its true..lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2023
Tru, I should look at this option next time. Though the Trainline app I use sef, de embarrass me sometime when trying to pull up the tickets cheesy e too slow cheesy

hustla:

I think the digital railcard sef makes sense instead of the physical one. If you forget and youre asked, them no dey wan hear story

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 6:16pm On Dec 12, 2023
She definitely does. She denied my application to bring in my nuclear, extended & blended family 😢

babajeje123:

I'm even suspecting Zahra29, she might be working for HO grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 6:35pm On Dec 12, 2023
What about HCA’s and support workers in the NHS, Can they bring in dependants?

Cos it’s seeming like it’s only NHS nurses and doctors that are being focused on.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:51pm On Dec 12, 2023
bigtt76:
Tru, I should look at this option next time. Though the Trainline app I use sef, de embarrass me sometime when trying to pull up the tickets cheesy e too slow cheesy

That's what I'll do too when renewing

Btw, who should we vote o.. Elections are around the corner
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:06pm On Dec 12, 2023
Right now, both sides are not loyal cheesy

hustla:

That's what I'll do too when renewing

Btw, who should we vote o.. Elections are around the corner

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:35pm On Dec 12, 2023
bigtt76:
Right now, both sides are not loyal cheesy

LMAO

We shall see

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2023
babajeje123:

Check your dm

Na single person I dey find no be Baba
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 8:45pm On Dec 12, 2023
missjekyll:
I pay taxes on all my income as do everyone without this "non-dom status" . I ve even had my taxes increased recently because the UK ran out of money. why are they special? They should be taxed for everything before anyone else asks me for more money.
Lying is always bad nomatter who does it. She is clearly domiciled here , why Claim she isn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/07/rishi-sunaks-wife-says-its-not-relevant-to-say-where-she-pays-tax-overseas

hmm. For an individual to claim non-dom status ... grin. Maybe she is based in India for most of the time or lying as you said and looks like HMRC cannot prove her status. Na wa o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Abiodunnn(f): 9:33pm On Dec 12, 2023
Hello all,

I just got a job as a Performance analyst here in ghe UK with sponsorship. I’ve started filling out the application and I’m being asked if role is on the shortage occupation list. My employer used 2423 - Management consultants and business analysts as the code.
How do I know what category it falls under?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 9:45pm On Dec 12, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:
Hello Ticha,
Given your submission, I am kinda perplexed. Why then do we have NHS doctors leaving in droves and moving to Australia & NZ ?… at least so says the UK shadow cabinet et al. Does a ‘Junior Doctor’ earn up to AUD $150,000 annually? So that even with 33% tax, they go home with lots and lots and are able to comfortably live, pay off mortgages and buy second holiday homes etc….

Money on paper especially the over all salary and the fact that all expenses are usually paid and that's how we came here too. Our combined income when we first arrived, doubled our UK combined income.
And honestly, the average Brit thinks that the UK is a third world country grin and that every other developed country is better.

People who are recruited from the health care sector are recruited to the regional areas and it's mainly Australia that pays very well. Very few come to NZ as salaries are a bit lower here. Very few can also buy holiday homes in either Aus or NZ as the cost of living is pretty high. The average junior dr salary is around $80k for both countries but a lower population and living in less populated areas means less work over all and more time to shalaye as needed.

Plus the lifestyle is totally different so for a newbie there's lot to enjoy initially. For example, it's warm all year round and we always have a hot Christmas, majority live close to the sea. NZ in particular is a very relaxed typically Pacific country. No school uniforms, no home work at primary school, people wear T shirts and shorts to work - that's a business attire haha, people walk bare feet in summer, my children hardly wear shoes to school cos they have a shoe free classroom and their classmates don't bother - they just put the shoes in the bags!
Houses are larger, way way larger than the UK. Our bedrooms in my house are bigger than the lounge in our UK family home!
People are friendlier - so much so that you will walk away thinking you've made a new best friend.

One day when I have time, I'll do a break down of our monthly costs that we still have in the UK and also have here. We spend a lot lot more here on those costs.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:03pm On Dec 12, 2023
Abiodunnn:
Hello all,

I just got a job as a Performance analyst here in ghe UK with sponsorship. I’ve started filling out the application and I’m being asked if role is on the shortage occupation list. My employer used 2423 - Management consultants and business analysts as the code.
How do I know what category it falls under?

Should be here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-shortage-occupations/skilled-worker-visa-shortage-occupations

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 10:12pm On Dec 12, 2023
Goke7:

That’s the new rule except he gets a job in the nhs

It's not yet in black and white yet. There are several grey areas that awaits clarity. It's speculation for now if people will be asked to leave the UK

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 11:07pm On Dec 12, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:21pm On Dec 12, 2023
missjekyll:
I pay taxes on all my income as do everyone without this "non-dom status" . I ve even had my taxes increased recently because the UK ran out of money. why are they special? They should be taxed for everything before anyone else asks me for more money.
Lying is always bad nomatter who does it. She is clearly domiciled here , why Claim she isn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/07/rishi-sunaks-wife-says-its-not-relevant-to-say-where-she-pays-tax-overseas

Yet again… trying to hoodwink the vulnerable and ill/mis-informed.
If you sell your treasure bills in Nigeria. Or you sell off that piece of land you bought in 2013 in Iyana-Ipaja. Do you pay taxes from that Nigeria sale to the HMRC? (In addition to the taxes you paid to FIRS/LIRS)?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:29pm On Dec 12, 2023
Ticha:

Money on paper especially the over all salary and the fact that all expenses are usually paid and that's how we came here too. Our combined income when we first arrived, doubled our UK combined income.
And honestly, the average Brit thinks that the UK is a third world country grin and that every other developed country is better.

People who are recruited from the health care sector are recruited to the regional areas and it's mainly Australia that pays very well. Very few come to NZ as salaries are a bit lower here. Very few can also buy holiday homes in either Aus or NZ as the cost of living is pretty high. The average junior dr salary is around $80k for both countries but a lower population and living in less populated areas means less work over all and more time to shalaye as needed.

Plus the lifestyle is totally different so for a newbie there's lot to enjoy initially. For example, it's warm all year round and we always have a hot Christmas, majority live close to the sea. NZ in particular is a very relaxed typically Pacific country. No school uniforms, no home work at primary school, people wear T shirts and shorts to work - that's a business attire haha, people walk bare feet in summer, my children hardly wear shoes to school cos they have a shoe free classroom and their classmates don't bother - they just put the shoes in the bags!
Houses are larger, way way larger than the UK. Our bedrooms in my house are bigger than the lounge in our UK family home!
People are friendlier - so much so that you will walk away thinking you've made a new best friend.

One day when I have time, I'll do a break down of our monthly costs that we still have in the UK and also have here. We spend a lot lot more here on those costs.

Thank you very much for this information. Really useful.
Summary: The grass always appear greener on the other side
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 11:53pm On Dec 12, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Yet again… trying to hoodwink the vulnerable and ill/mis-informed.
If you sell your treasure bills in Nigeria. Or you sell off that piece of land you bought in 2013 in Iyana-Ipaja. Do you pay taxes from that Nigeria sale to the HMRC? (In addition to the taxes you paid to FIRS/LIRS)?

It depends. You wont be taxed twice if there is a tax treaty though. Residency MAY have to be determined

Work out your residence status
Whether you’re UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).

You’ll only be resident in the UK if both of the following apply:

you meet one or more of the automatic UK tests or the sufficient ties test
you do not meet any of the automatic overseas tests
Otherwise, you’ll be non-resident in the UK for tax purposes.

UK tests
You may be resident under the automatic UK tests if:

you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
your only home was in the UK for 91 days or more in a row - and you visited or stayed in it for at least 30 days of the tax year
you worked full-time in the UK for any period of 365 days and at least one day of that period was in the tax year you’re checking
You may also be resident under the sufficient ties test if you spent a number of days in the UK and you have additional ties to the UK, like work or family.

Overseas tests
You’re usually non-resident if either:

you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been a UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
you worked abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week), and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 2:23am On Dec 13, 2023
Poanan:

It depends. You wont be taxed twice if there is a tax treaty though. Residency MAY have to be determined

Work out your residence status
Whether you’re UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).

You’ll only be resident in the UK if both of the following apply:

you meet one or more of the automatic UK tests or the sufficient ties test
you do not meet any of the automatic overseas tests
Otherwise, you’ll be non-resident in the UK for tax purposes.

UK tests
You may be resident under the automatic UK tests if:

you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
your only home was in the UK for 91 days or more in a row - and you visited or stayed in it for at least 30 days of the tax year
you worked full-time in the UK for any period of 365 days and at least one day of that period was in the tax year you’re checking
You may also be resident under the sufficient ties test if you spent a number of days in the UK and you have additional ties to the UK, like work or family.

Overseas tests
You’re usually non-resident if either:

you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been a UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
you worked abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week), and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

there is also a double taxation rule meaning she doesn't have to pay tax in the UK if her income which comes from India has been taxed in India.. You may be taxed on your foreign income by the UK and by the country where your income is from.

You can usually claim tax relief to get some or all of this tax back. How you claim depends on whether your foreign income has already been taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/taxed-twice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 2:26am On Dec 13, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 3:34am On Dec 13, 2023
Wow. Good to see the arguments are ever still active on this page
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deshade: 6:13am On Dec 13, 2023
Please advise on the questions being asked for the pre recorded interview. i have received interview invitation for the work center coach at DWP. i appreciate your response Thanks

hayesconcept:
@Schoolhike I’m just stuck with the pre recorded interview for EO role. I wasn’t successful with my first attempt and the second attempt i was placed on reserve list. Can you please drop any hints on how to score higher with this pre recorded interview. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 6:26am On Dec 13, 2023
Congratulations, go and prepare for your interview like a pro. Prepare your answer using STAR techniques. I.e Situation, Task, Action, and Results. Always talk more om action and results. Always personalised your experience, make use of more of ‘i’ rather than ‘we’. Practice like your life depends on it and record yourself during the practice too.

If you read the Civil service Competency Framework you will get an idea of the type of evidence they are looking for in terms of positive behaviours that you are expected to demonstrate. These can shape your answers, even if you don't know 'The' Questions.

Managing a Quality Service

• How do you and your team understand what the standards required by your customers are?
• Give me an example of how you have demonstrated an understanding of customer needs
• What steps have you taken to understand how you and your team perform against performance/ customer standards?
• How do you respond to customer feedback?
• Can you describe a time when you have been proactive in finding a solution to a problem encountered by your customers?

Leading and Communicating
• When communicating to staff how have you ensured your communication is clear, well structured and tailored to your audience?
• Can you give an example of how you have engaged your team in discussions about changes taking place in your unit, business area or Department?
• Tell me about a time when you have had to influence a senior manager, stakeholder or partner and how you went about this?
• Tell me about a time when you have had to use written communication to successfully influence someone? How did you go about structuring your written communication?

deshade:
Please advise on the questions being asked for the pre recorded interview. i have received interview invitation for the work center coach at DWP. i appreciate your response Thanks

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 7:25am On Dec 13, 2023
Amazoner01:

Haha let me crack you up lol. So on my first day in the UK, I found myself in a funny situation.I ended up at a pub, not the hotel I thought I had booked on booking site. The people at the pub informed me that they had repeatedly raised this issue with the booking site since they didn't operate as a hotel but they kept on referring people there .

Before I realised I have bleeped up lol, my Uber had already left, leaving me stranded with my bags packed full of Nigerian food. Adding to the problem, I didn't have Uk SIM card nor internet to book another hotel or call families around.

I stood there, observing fellow Nigerian that might help as I was seeing them, also tried reaching out to one person even my greetings wasnt replied to. My simple request would have been where I could get a SIM card. With a working SIM, I could connect to the internet and book another hotel.

Not knowing a white kind-hearted woman had been looking at me from her office just opposite where I was standing. She came out to me, ask me why my bags were everywhere lol.
After telling her, she asked me to wait while she go fetch her car, she helped transport my luggages even lifting them herself telling me I would have been tired, gave me a lift to another hotel and where to buy SIM card.

I can’t blame Nigerians that didn’t help tho perhaps they have their reasons. I alway say a prayer to that woman till today whenever I remember.

I may say that i do not get the whole pictures because I was not there with you.
We all know that a whole lot of people tends to avoid answering people on the road because they might be pleading for money, but with such luggages? I believe you ought to have changed your approach.

YOU: Excuse me, (they'll give you 2sec attention)
YOU: I am New in town and needs Internet for my navigations. ...(if they are not in much haste, they'll help).

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:39am On Dec 13, 2023
Amazoner01:

I stood there, observing fellow Nigerian that might help as I was seeing them, also tried reaching out to one person even my greetings wasnt replied to.

I can’t blame Nigerians that didn’t help tho perhaps they have their reasons. I alway say a prayer to that woman till today whenever I remember.
You can tell that people are Nigerians by just looking at them? What an interesting talent
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:50am On Dec 13, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

I may say that i do not get the whole pictures because I was not there with you.
We all know that a whole lot of people tends to avoid answering people on the road because they might be pleading for money, but with such luggages? I believe you ought to have changed your approach.

YOU: Excuse me, (they'll give you 2sec attention)
YOU: I am New in town and needs Internet for my navigations. ...(if they are not in much haste, they'll help).
How is the poster even sure that those people he approached were Nigerians especially as he was mostly observing them and he didn’t think to approach them, he only approached one and assumed the worst of a whole country when that person could have been from Zimbabwe or from the Cayman Islands. Besides everybody get their own wey dey do them.

My friend told me about a time when he just moved here and his phone went off so he couldn’t order a cab and he felt lost since he didn’t know his way home. Then some Nigerian lad with a luggage walked up to him asking him for directions that he couldn’t give. I mean.. my friend was lost and he couldn’t help the guy but he noticed that the guy kept following him. As a newcomer he was equally scared and didn’t want a stranger walking behind him in the dark. He eventually lost the guy and somehow found his way back to familiar territory. Now, imagine the narrative that guy with a luggage has formed in his head about Nigerians in the UK based off of one encounter with a stranger.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:33am On Dec 13, 2023
Words on a marble

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:52am On Dec 13, 2023
wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing i have noticed from family members & friends i know in Canada... the depression is on another level.. and they live faraway from help.. country is massive..

Infact one had to go to Nigeria for a while on unpaid leave to get some sanity.. the cold and cost of living were 2 of his major points

kwakudtraveller:
Words on a marble

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 10:07am On Dec 13, 2023
deept:

there is also a double taxation rule meaning she doesn't have to pay tax in the UK if her income which comes from India has been taxed in India.. You may be taxed on your foreign income by the UK and by the country where your income is from.

You can usually claim tax relief to get some or all of this tax back. How you claim depends on whether your foreign income has already been taxed.

we are saying same thing. however before u claim any relif residency must be confirmed.

Before you apply, you must prove you’re eligible for tax relief by either:

completing the form and sending it to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - they’ll confirm whether you’re resident [/b]and send the form back to you
including a UK [b]certificate of residence
, if you’re applying by letter
Once you’ve got proof, send the form or letter to the foreign tax authority.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
Words on a marble

Hmmm, may God lead us alright.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
Zahra29:

NHS will now have their pick of candidates. I imagine their selection criteria will become stricter and they will lean towards candidates with prior experience and qualifications.
No need for them to actively recruit outside the UK, as they now have an oversupply within the UK.

Yes o, their sites are being bombarded.
I think individual care homes can still sponsor skilled workers without dependants, so for a family already in the country, picture this:

Husband gets CoS, wife gets CoS... Would ukvi now say children should be sent outside the country?

Lol grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2023
ehizario2012:

Yes o, their sites are being bombarded.
I think individual care homes can still sponsor skilled workers without dependants, so for a family already in the country, picture this:

Husband gets CoS, wife gets CoS... Would ukvi now say children should be sent outside the country?

Lol grin

#YES. they MUST go...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2023
So the individual who died on the Bibby barge is a Cameroonian 🇨🇲 Doctor 🤔

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: LionInZion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.