Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,679 members, 7,813,262 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (371) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (461431 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 1:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
@ deept,
@poanan
…….

Thank you very much for providing a lot of context to this.

Any keen reader will see that contrary to what MissJelkyll would want to hoodwink folks into belly, Akshata Murty did not actually commit any tax fraud or crime or any illegal or unlawful action.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:15pm On Dec 13, 2023
Chinlov:

#YES. they MUST go...

Chinko love says so grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 3:29pm On Dec 13, 2023
hmmmmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hammed71(m): 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2023
profemebee:
hmmmmmmmmm
so after Canada where again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:25pm On Dec 13, 2023
hammed71:
so after Canada where again

Nigeria, where there's no racism and there are only low taxes, and no drastic policy changes or IHS fees to be paid.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:35pm On Dec 13, 2023
Children too go get CoS from their school cheesy cheesy cheesy Since they all want to move madt

ehizario2012:

Yes o, their sites are being bombarded.
I think individual care homes can still sponsor skilled workers without dependants, so for a family already in the country, picture this:

Husband gets CoS, wife gets CoS... Would ukvi now say children should be sent outside the country?

Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by JaySterling: 8:39pm On Dec 13, 2023
Hey guys, please advise!

I’m traveling from London to Lagos for Christmas. I saw a cheap flight for just £275 with 2 layovers

London -> Madrid -> Casablanca -> Lagos

Please do I need a Schengen visa to transit in Spain ?

Also, do I need a transit visa to layover in Morocco ?

I used to have one, but it’s expired now

Please I don’t want to be stranded
Please advise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Stenvee: 9:09pm On Dec 13, 2023
Hmmm interesting!

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Amazoner01: 9:14pm On Dec 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

You can tell that people are Nigerians by just looking at them? What an interesting talent
I was born in Nigeria and have lived there long enough to easily spot my countrymen or maybe perhaps it takes high IQ or super power to be able to do that. I can also tell ethnicity sometimes lol . Abi he shock you? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 9:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
JaySterling:
Hey guys, please advise!

I’m traveling from London to Lagos for Christmas. I saw a cheap flight for just £275 with 2 layovers

London -> Madrid -> Casablanca -> Lagos

Please do I need a Schengen visa to transit in Spain ?

Also, do I need a transit visa to layover in Morocco ?

I used to have one, but it’s expired now

Please I don’t want to be stranded
Please advise
Z
For morroco you don't need a transit visa 3except u want to enter the country.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 10:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:
@ deept,
@poanan
…….

Thank you very much for providing a lot of context to this.

Any keen reader will see that contrary to what MissJelkyll would want to hoodwink folks into belly, Akshata Murty did not actually commit any tax fraud or crime or any illegal or unlawful action.
@Missjelkyll is not entirely wrong. I think she was trying to say there was no way she would have passed the residency test. Although Akshata does not have dual citizenship. But citizenship doesnt entirely exempt you as it is written that once u live 15 years in the last 20yrs in the uk, u cant claim non -domicle staus. You are also right cos if the HMRC cannot prove her residency with substantial evidence, na shout una go shout as it only takes someone who is "morally upright" to admit she is resident in the UK. However, Akshata did not claim relief for non-dom status in 2022 from what i read on wikepedia. That can be seen as doing it because of the husband's position. Limelight comes with a cost.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayowa94: 11:09pm On Dec 13, 2023
giselle237:
u do not need it for the UK. Your standard driving licence is fine and it’s 15k for 5 years.
Also since it is a renewal/reissue you can apply for it online. Inorder to avoid going to capture, select no to the biometrics question when filling the form. I guess it’s how to get it to you here in the UK I can not help with
I have a standard driving licence, how long can I use it for in the uk? It expires in 2026.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 11:26pm On Dec 13, 2023
Same with me cheesy

Amazoner01:

I was born in Nigeria and have lived there long enough to easily spot my countrymen or maybe perhaps it takes high IQ or super power to be able to do that. I can also tell ethnicity sometimes lol . Abi he shock you? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Strata1716: 11:49pm On Dec 13, 2023
Peerielass:

Exactly! I have been here long enough to know that both Labour, the Tories and SNP are out to screw me over so I’m apolitical. Labour is making noise up and down, in my opinion things were actually worse for immigrants in 2007 - 2010 when they were in power. British jobs for British graduates etc!

Vote for Green Party
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Angela90: 12:13am On Dec 14, 2023
Hi guys,

Are there people here who use Binance? I came into the UK recently and it seems Binance wants me to change my location to UK. I'll prefer to continue using Binance with naira. What can I do? Binance has been sending me notification to verify my new location or my account will limited to only withdrawal.

I'm trying to avoid UK problems, that's the reason I'll prefer to continue trading with naira.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 3:14am On Dec 14, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 6:05am On Dec 14, 2023
Angela90:
Hi guys,

Are there people here who use Binance? I came into the UK recently and it seems Binance wants me to change my location to UK. I'll prefer to continue using Binance with naira. What can I do? Binance has been sending me notification to verify my new location or my account will limited to only withdrawal.

I'm trying to avoid UK problems, that's the reason I'll prefer to continue trading with naira.

I remember getting those messages 3yrs ago, but I can’t remember if I did change my location. Cos my currency still shows Naira. Not sure, but I think I ignored it. I would like to believe that was what I did cos the only way I withdraw is P2P.

You can wait for another person to reply.

Also be calm with the UK trouble thing, nobody gets into trouble just like that. As long as you are not doing illegal activities (money laundering & fraud) with your binance account, I don’t see any reason to be worried or get into trouble.

If possible avoid using P2P pounds, there use to be crook some years back. Don’t know if they still are. I will guess YES. Some of the p2p experiences in the UK will be traumatizing for someone who’s new to the land.

Welcome to the YouKay

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Amazoner01: 11:09am On Dec 14, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

How is the poster even sure that those people he approached were Nigerians especially as he was mostly observing them and he didn’t think to approach them, he only approached one and assumed the worst of a whole country when that person could have been from Zimbabwe or from the Cayman Islands. Besides everybody get their own wey dey do them.

My friend told me about a time when he just moved here and his phone went off so he couldn’t order a cab and he felt lost since he didn’t know his way home. Then some Nigerian lad with a luggage walked up to him asking him for directions that he couldn’t give. I mean.. my friend was lost and he couldn’t help the guy but he noticed that the guy kept following him. As a newcomer he was equally scared and didn’t want a stranger walking behind him in the dark. He eventually lost the guy and somehow found his way back to familiar territory. Now, imagine the narrative that guy with a luggage has formed in his head about Nigerians in the UK based off of one encounter with a stranger.
You need to read to understand next time. I did not at any point said anything about the impression I have or had and only narrated my experience to cheer the person I quoted up as the experience was kinda funny one. You're the one giving it vacuous meaning. I went on to say that they might have a reason for not helping at that time and that could be not approaching them well enough or like you said maybe they are scared. Perhaps you didn’t understand that bit too!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 11:52am On Dec 14, 2023
bigtt76:
Children too go get CoS from their school cheesy cheesy cheesy Since they all want to move madt

Hahahahaha... See there's sense in that talk even if funny.

Talking about flu vaccine, we all applied to our GP for vaccine, they gave us a date, Dec 8.

Before the appointment, I received an SMS that the appointments were cancelled. So we approached the hospital and they said the children in school should collect from school, another appointment was fixed for the baby at home, she's less than 3 years old... They said me and wife should go and pay for our own grin

Na children this land dey favour pass
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 11:59am On Dec 14, 2023
Toh! We just hope it won't get to that level sha because it just might. As you are applying for your CAS for school, na so you go de apply for your children too. They can go that lenght to implement it trust me.

ehizario2012:

Hahahahaha... See there's sense in that talk even if funny.

Talking about flu vaccine, we all applied to our GP for vaccine, they gave us a date, Dec 8.

Before the appointment, I received an SMS that the appointments were cancelled. So we approached the hospital and they said the children in school should collect from school, another appointment was fixed for the baby at home, she's less than 3 years old... They said me and wife should go and pay for our own grin

Na children this land dey favour pass
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 12:35pm On Dec 14, 2023
Interesting days ahead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:07pm On Dec 14, 2023
Amazoner01:

You need to read to understand next time. I did not at any point said anything about the impression I have or had and only narrated my experience to cheer the person I quoted up as the experience was kinda funny one. You're the one giving it vacuous meaning. I went on to say that they might have a reason for not helping at that time and that could be not approaching them well enough or like you said maybe they are scared. Perhaps you didn’t understand that bit too!!!

You lot always like to throw this whole "read to understand" as if what you wrote wasn’t in black and white. You said I and quote

"I stood there, observing fellow Nigerian that might help as I was seeing them, also tried reaching out to one person even my greetings wasnt replied to. My simple request would have been where I could get a SIM card. With a working SIM, I could connect to the internet and book another hotel.

Not knowing a white kind-hearted woman had been looking at me from her office just opposite where I was standing. She came out to me, ask me why my bags were everywhere lol.
After telling her, she asked me to wait while she go fetch her car, she helped transport my luggages even lifting them herself telling me I would have been tired, gave me a lift to another hotel and where to buy SIM card."

What’s there not to understand, "Nigerians ignored you but a kind hearted white woman helped you". There’s no humour in your text even though you are trying to make it out to be some joke. You just profiled random black people as Nigerians not looking to help you when those people were probably just minding their business and could have been from anywhere.

I’m not fighting you as this place is starting to look like a boxing ring. But read the bias in your text next time.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:10pm On Dec 14, 2023
Ukliving:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM6jQjfNf/
With the way he’s stuttering, I don’t think he understands his own proposed policy. They should have worked on the fine print before releasing it out to the public; so that it’s clear and not open to multiple interpretations.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by obioraval(m): 1:14pm On Dec 14, 2023
iyatrustee:
Interesting days ahead.

I see them limiting this to only undergraduate students and PhD students. The one year masters might be limited to only Stem areas. Too early to call especially as we are yet to see the impact on universities even though enrolment numbers are dropping and the shortfall is affecting some universities for eg Sheffield Hallam as seen below 👇

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-67707857

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 1:33pm On Dec 14, 2023
iyatrustee:
Interesting days ahead.
There will still be loopholes if this is implemented. For an instance how will they deal with students that contract their project and other forms of assessments out? This might work though if Universities would make admission academic (not financial) requirements strigent than what they are now. To me it doesn't make sense for someone who did Marketing in their undergraduate coming to the UK to study Cybersecurity. And most Universities allow this.

Allowing students to stay after attending certain universities is also not sensible IMO. On the outside, it creates a disparity along quality line which will greatly demarket UK unis abi what criteria will they use for the segregation?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 2:09pm On Dec 14, 2023
I heard from a colleague that Scotland is planning to break away from the UK... They are accusing England of self-centeredness in the way the policies are being tweaked. They saying Scottish schools plan to go against the scrapping of PSW visa... Arms crossed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:26pm On Dec 14, 2023
Bourne007:
She definitely does. She denied my application to bring in my nuclear, extended & blended family 😢

Lol

I did you a favour - 3 wives with the present cost of living and interest rates embarassed
if you were Bond007, I might have reconsidered grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:31pm On Dec 14, 2023
ehizario2012:
I heard from a colleague that Scotland is planning to break away from the UK... They are accusing England of self-centeredness in the way the policies are being tweaked. They saying Scottish schools plan to go against the scrapping of PSW visa... Arms crossed

Your arms will fall off lol

Scotland had an independence referendum in 2014. They voted to remain in the UK. The SNP is the only party still pushing the independence agenda but their demands for a second referendum are consistently vetoed by Westminster. They can only enact the will of the people via a referendum, otherwise the govt cannot just decide to break away from the rest of the UK.
In any case it is very likely that Labour will become the ruling govt in Scotland after the next election.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:34pm On Dec 14, 2023
Scotland leaving means they might have a new currency then right?

Zahra29:

Your arms will fall off lol

Scotland had an independence referendum in 2014. They voted to remain in the UK. The SNP is the only party still pushing the independence agenda but their demands for a second referendum are consistently vetoed by Westminster.
In any case it is very likely that Labour will become the ruling govt in Scotland after the next election.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:36pm On Dec 14, 2023
profemebee:
Scotland leaving means they might have a new currency then right?

In the unlikely event that they were ever allowed to leave the UK, they would apply to rejoin the EU and would have to adopt the euro I believe.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by America001: 2:47pm On Dec 14, 2023
Please can someone on Healthcare Work Visa apply for another degree while working as a carer.

In other words is it allowed to be both a student and skilled worker at the same time?.

Thanks

Felt I should include that poster has been in the UK for about a year on HCW Visa but wants to acquire another degree
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:53pm On Dec 14, 2023
iyatrustee:
Interesting days ahead.

They talk about low skilled jobs as if only ghosts should be left alone to do them. Is it not the jobs available that folks will pick up?

The barriers to the high skilled ones they keep shying away from, next base jare

(1) (2) (3) ... (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Vintagee, ashaju33 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.