Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (468464 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (542) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 10:36pm On Jun 01, 2023
God bless you Sis.
This is helpful.

bigtt76:
So what exactly does she want if a low turnitin could suspicious? If you have access to the referenced documents used, you can go along with that as evidence and show them the flagged areas on your document vs the referenced journals so they see you did not copy verbatim. You can also seek advise from your personal academic tutor if assigned one, your school's student union education officer. Their views might come handy.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:50pm On Jun 01, 2023
Endnote, Bibcitation etc are good ones you should look at.

Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
No bro.

Is there an app for that?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 10:52pm On Jun 01, 2023
Viruses:

Thank you for detailing this.
My mum does not work but she has like 200k in the account. (She's a trader but I can't prove this so I'm going with the option of She's not working).
I'm just wondering how much I should put in her account before printing statement or if I should print with the 200k like that.
trader but she has a shop? Take her pictures there and call it small scale trading/petty trading/homemaker. Dont say unemployed. If its a small stall by the roadside still take the pictures. I know someone whose mom lives in the village and farms on and off. U should see the phot evidence provided. Its all about how u sell ur story.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 11:09pm On Jun 01, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I heard about someone who got a job as a BA and quit in a few months because they couldn’t cope. They said that all the meetings they attended sounded like jargons to them. There are too many so called experts selling short courses and bootcamps that is not a true picture of the real world setting. They are just selling theoretical templates and not practical work which takes a while to master.
Sometimes, it has to do with determination. For every 1 failed BA. there are 5 more pushing through and mastering the ropes.

Most people love the idea of being called a Business Analyst without fully understanding what it entails. I won't blame the short courses sellers though.. they are proviiding the needed frontline soldiers for a war that might not end tomorrow. The good thing from that is - to be a Captain or a General, you must have survived from the frontlines!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 11:19pm On Jun 01, 2023
Lolli2pop:

I have never flown turkish, how was your experience please? Would you recommend?
I was 15mins late for boarding and they made me miss my Introdution. First thing those fvckers at the stand asked for was what passport do I have?? Since then, I have had a personal, racist, judgemental notion about them.

Just needed to mention as everyone was singing kumbaya grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 11:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
Interesting!

I'm currently in the market shopping for an entry-level BA role, and mehn, it's been a tough ride.

As a BCS-certified foundational BA, the interest is to apply the knowledge and leverage my transferable skills to improve my BA proficiencies/practice but the entry roles are not there. Daily, you'll see adverts for medium and senior level BAs but it seems no one is interested in grooming the next generation of BAs.

Could you please share some insight into getting entry-level BA roles or how to access learning environments that's not influenced by profiteering as with most of the course sellers...Thanks

I believe Business Analysts require soft skills which are transferable. With self-motivation and drive to learn and development opportunities, people should be able to transit into BA accountabilities.

missb50:

Unless one is super smart, it will be very difficult to cope in a fast paced environment using knowledge gained from those BA/PM/DA short courses. I'd advise such people to look for job in the Civil Service first, gain some experince before moving to the private sector.

kwakudtraveller:

The sooner people realise that some of these so called experts want to cash out, the better for them. It’s the same thing for Project Management, these course sellers make it look like it’s as simple as ABC. I think employers will soon start making the hiring process much harder.

Goke7:

When some of us say these things they term us gatekeepers, As a BA you’re supposed to act even if you’re not like a domain expert or sme in any project, and that comes with experience in different sectors to have such depth of knowledge. Anyone can argue with me but you need at least one year of practical experience and mentoring to gain such confidence. All these walk-in-the-park courses are just scams. Those who blab their way through usually go back to those who trained who in turn collect more money again to help them with their tasks on the job they got or those working remotely now share their salary with their so-called scam mentors who help them do their job. Am sorry to say all this but this is what is happening. I know two people now who were let go of their jobs due to their inability to deliver.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jcole123: 12:39am On Jun 02, 2023
Hi guys, I and my wife applied for UK provisional licence and submitted our brp. We just got the license delivered via mail to us but it didn't come with our brp. Is this normal? What do you suggest we do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BuildingProject: 1:50am On Jun 02, 2023
Jcole123:
Hi guys, I and my wife applied for UK provisional licence and submitted our brp. We just got the license delivered via mail to us but it didn't come with our brp. Is this normal? What do you suggest we do?

BRP comes back separately.
Sit back and enjoy your Netflix.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jcole123: 2:34am On Jun 02, 2023
BuildingProject:

BRP comes back separately.
Sit back and enjoy your Netflix.

Thanks man. Sitting back and enjoying my Netflix with Agbado and boli
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 2:36am On Jun 02, 2023
lightofjoy:
No cause for alarm though I think that might be part of the issue, you are not yet an authority (I mean someone with PHd or has many article in that field), so you are not expected to be writing from you brain. You are expected to read, digest and reference the authors. Cheers

But all the same, go with a settled mind.

Thank you bro. This is relieving.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 3:24am On Jun 02, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You sure say you no be sleeping partner, for this thread......... We discussed iptv, 12 months ago, because my subscription, just expired........ 😭😂

Which of the iptv channel do you think is the best? The one I got can't play certain channels that I want.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by marylandcakes: 3:26am On Jun 02, 2023
Solumtoya:

I struggle to believe this sha.

I don’t have to justify myself to you or anyone else. It baffles me when people without doing any kind of research find one way or the other to doubt people’s statements especially on this thread. That’s why I just read and pass most of the time because a very few minority here feel that they know everything and every other person is a liar. If you are expecting me to place my ct bill on here to make you feel good that’s not going to happen.😒😒😒

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by marylandcakes: 3:30am On Jun 02, 2023
Zahra29:

Bands G and H in England are over £3k . Band H is close to £4k, might be more in some boroughs.

Thank you. This thread should be a sea of information for all of us. If people don’t know things it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by marylandcakes: 4:01am On Jun 02, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

I am on Band F.. The F is for Fecked.. You must be on band X, for X-rated. cheesy

Very funny 🙄🙄🙄
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 4:25am On Jun 02, 2023
davide470:
I was 15mins late for boarding and they made me miss my Introdution. First thing those fvckers at the stand asked for was what passport do I have?? Since then, I have had a personal, racist, judgemental notion about them.

Just needed to mention as everyone was singing kumbaya grin

You were late. They followed the rules unlike INEC 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:07am On Jun 02, 2023
Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
No bro.

Is there an app for that?

Yes

So you arranged by hand open by one? shocked

Refworks
Mendeley

These ones would have helped as you can show you actually uploaded the pdf docs of the references you used and I think there are time stamps too like in the pic attached

Can also use MS word but its a bit manual in word

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 6:16am On Jun 02, 2023
Hi All,

Lemonade rate is really low even when usdt is already been sold at NGN750 per coin. Please i need suggestions for any other platform with good rate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ralphlauren(m): 6:36am On Jun 02, 2023
marylandcakes:

My council tax is almost 4k per annum, so count yourself lucky.

marylandcakes:

I don’t have to justify myself to you or anyone else. It baffles me when people without doing any kind of research find one way or the other to doubt people’s statements especially on this thread. That’s why I just read and pass most of the time because a very few minority here feel that they know everything and every other person is a liar. If you are expecting me to place my ct bill on here to make you feel good that’s not going to happen.😒😒😒

I read the guy's comment and just shook my head. You said yours in "nearly" 4k.

I have attached a screenshot and links for Edinburgh Council and Cornwall that clearly shows council tax of over £4,000 a year and yes, non-white people are paying such tax a year.

It's the same way a person was doubting an individual with an income of £75k. Smh

Infact, let me keep my words and thoughts to myself before justwise gives me a ban. tongue

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-bands/2

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-tax/your-council-tax-bill/council-tax-2023/council-tax-bands-2023/

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Controlv: 6:38am On Jun 02, 2023
Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
Yes Sis, I excluded references and my similarity was 21%. The funny thing is that I showed the lecturer of this score before submitting and she okayed it.

Thanks for the Grammarly suggestion.

Usually, we tend to mix up similarity with plagiarism. It is possible to have 40% similarity without a single plagiarism and it's possible to have 5% similarty with plagiarism. I am not saying you plagiarized but just trying to explain the difference based on my experience.

To start with, check what proportion of the 21% came from one source. Also, always do a thorough review of the similarity by checking the sources hilighted in turn it in and ensure your work does not directly reflect those sources.

I am happy to put you through on how to review your similarity for future purpose. All the best.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by marylandcakes: 6:53am On Jun 02, 2023
Ralphlauren:

I read the guy's comment and just shook my head. You said yours in "nearly" 4k.

I have attached a screenshot and links for Edinburgh Council and Cornwall that clearly shows council tax of over £4,000 a year and yes, non-white people are paying such tax a year.

It's the same way a person was doubting an individual with an income of £75k. Smh

Infact, let me keep my words and thoughts to myself before justwise gives me a ban. tongue

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-bands/2

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-tax/your-council-tax-bill/council-tax-2023/council-tax-bands-2023/

Thank you my brother 🙏🏿
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by humblemoi: 6:54am On Jun 02, 2023
davide470:
Sometimes, it has to do with determination. For every 1 failed BA. there are 5 more pushing through and mastering the ropes.

Most people love the idea of being called a Business Analyst without fully understanding what it entails. I won't blame the short courses sellers though.. they are proviiding the needed frontline soldiers for a war that might not end tomorrow. The good thing from that is - to be a Captain or a General, you must have survived from the frontlines!

Totally agree with this, I suppose I am one of the failed BAs.. attended training in 2 centres plus self studied over a period of 2 years before I could understand what would be expected of me to deliver. In the end I had to follow a different path to get my bearing. Wasn't easy to me but would certainly be easy for someone else.

Wishing the poster looking to make a career change the best, because man, nothing comes easy sometimes and those difficult times may feel like a lasting situation.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Knowlegeseeking: 7:21am On Jun 02, 2023
@Solumtoya @Goke @Zahra @peerielass @Kwakudtraveller @missb50 @SemmyK @Contra5 @Koobney @Davide470 @humblemoi.
Guyssss... Thank you so much for your insightful contributions. I just knew I would get good solution here.
Let me register for the September and December diet. I'll continue the audit and Sox controls😂.

Thank you all🤝.

PS: I'm a lady sha😊

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dewhaley: 8:43am On Jun 02, 2023
Thanks I appreciate this, I truly do, the people that want to apply have a fintech startup and also references in Uk and Naija …

Thanks once again
Santa2:

The person I know that had global talent visa got all references from Nigeria, wasnt a founder but a C-suite exec at a fintech. this was back in 2020 though, it was worth checking what the current rules are as they might have changed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dewhaley: 8:48am On Jun 02, 2023
adefoluk:
Hi
Mine is the research/academic route not tech.
Yes, I got a reference from UK and endorsement from a professional body in my field.

Oh okay , Thanks I appreciate this, I truly do, your route is a great opportunity for you and I pray it turns out favorable, the people that want to apply have a fintech startup and also references in Uk and Naija , funds isn’t an issue for them too, I’ll tell them to start applying now

Thanks once again …

Thanks once again

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 8:50am On Jun 02, 2023
hyzich:
Hi All,

Lemonade rate is really low even when usdt is already been sold at NGN750 per coin. Please i need suggestions for any other platform with good rate?
Rates are dropping on the back of the fake "naira devaluation" news. Check this link = OneAfrica Pay

Rate is N925/£1. You get £5 for your first transfer

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:02am On Jun 02, 2023
Regex:

Which of the iptv channel do you think is the best? The one I got can't play certain channels that I want.

What channels do you seek....... 🤣😜

Playboy or Exotic Afro cougars........... 🤣😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:09am On Jun 02, 2023
marylandcakes:

No vex, I didn't mean you were lying. Just a struggle to imagine people pay that much. I know people pay more than £4k, it's just crazy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 9:29am On Jun 02, 2023
Lexusgs430:

What channels do you seek....... 🤣😜

Playboy or Exotic Afro cougars........... 🤣😜

😂 😂 Football, and mostly UK channels.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ELff: 9:51am On Jun 02, 2023
Hello my people, please prior to traveling to the UK, I and my partner did a court wedding. I used him as my dependent during my application in Nigeria. Sadly, after I traveled, a lot happened. He didn't come and I decided to move on.

Do I need to inform the HO of my current circumstance as I intend to file for divorce once I have the resources.

Can he be a dependent on someone else, will my application in Nigeria affect him. He didn't go for biometrics and all that.

What do I need to do as he met someone and might be a dependent on her visa. Whilst applying for my post study, i filled as Single. Your advise will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Newbie123: 10:02am On Jun 02, 2023
Peerielass:

There’s really no way around it. You could try inputting your Nigerian address but it probably won’t accept it. There’s no harm in trying though.
Tried. It doesn't go beyond the postcode. It still insists on a postcode in UK

Solumtoya:

I think this is very straightforward. Of course, where you can, always check eligibility first.

If it doesn't permit you to put your overseas address and insists you put 2 years residency, then it means that the eligibility criteria is "minimum 2 years in the UK". If you insist on getting a credit card, try others, there are so many of them. My Bank still tells me I'm ineligible for Credit card, last I checked but I have 2 Credit Cards from other providers.

As for your score being 968, that's very very high! With a score that high, you don't have to chase after credit cards.

Thanks. I wanted to get a CC cos I would be moving out of the place I stay currently to a bills inclusive house and the things that helped me get that high score won't be available anymore. So I need to the CC to stay in that range or keep going up without dropping.

I tried the popular British Amex card everyone is advertising here but I couldn't even check eligibility cos it's not accepting any postcode outside of UK

BuildingProject:

You need to check eligibility first.
Are you using a Barclays account already?
If so, I think you won't see where to input other addresses until you try to apply. Their limit are also small, I was lucky to get £1200 from them Sha after tweaking things.
Lastly, there was no Hard print left on my record Sha.

Please how did you go about the 2 years address thing because even to check eligibility, it's not accepting postcodes outside of UK. Am I missing something?

BuildingProject:

I won't advise the platinum.
Why not start with the Barclayscard first, considering the amount of time spent in the UK.
Just my opinion though.

It's actually the 0% in first 22 months I was going for but I'm open to trying other cards if there are better recommendations please

Lexusgs430:

If you are economical with the truth about your length of time........ A credit facility provider, can slam a CIFAS on you........

I wouldn't know how to deal with the 9ja address situation........

Thanks Lexusgs430. Please suggest a CC with better rewards please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 10:13am On Jun 02, 2023
davide470:
Rates are dropping on the back of the fake "naira devaluation" news. Check this link = OneAfrica Pay

Rate is N925/£1. You get £5 for your first transfer
Their review is not encouraging on appstore
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by semmyk(m): 10:16am On Jun 02, 2023
I'll be careful to use the word 'app'. Pls don't get me wrong or think highly of this.

Right from undergrad, more importantly at postgrad level, using reference managers is a must do!
They help you collate and organise your reference source. You can 'store' copy of the articles as well.
Most will assist you with using reference style (consistently), and you can switch ref style at will.
There are tons of reference manager. For students, ask your dept or University research/library for what they subscribe to.
However, you're not under any obligation or rather I should say, you're at liberty to make your own determination.
I've done workshops (two now, others in pipeline) for universities in 9ja, as I see many struggle in this regard.
PS: unlike Koonbey who is so bold, I on the other hand keep my professional profile away from NL. We all have our preferences and reasons.
Mendeley was great. I say was. It was until they were bought over and started encrypting the local database. Well, they've now gone 'online' with the new Mendeley reference manager.
Currently, I use Zotero. You have tons of plugins to 'make Zotero your own', AKA #customise
There are ways around the 300MB data/file storage size. However, not many would use up the 300Mb.
For me, I've got over 1.5Gb though

If your university offers Endnote, by all means use it. Even if you leave and no longer have subscription, you can import into Zotero (minding file storage limit though).
Inbtw, MS Word has an inbuilt reference manager, although not so versatile, but it gets the job done.
Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
... ... Is there an app for that?
hustla:
Did you use an app to organize your references?

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (542) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: KingDemolah(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.