Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,186 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (398) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460129 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 1:59pm On Jan 08
Goodenoch:

Do you have a link to the FRSC website or any other official communication where this document is discussed? Something to the police character certificate, passport, etc?

I haven't said it's forgery. It's you who's seeing allegations of forgery everywhere and I can only wonder why.

It’s a legit document. I don’t need to check any website. Here’s a redacted version of the sample.
I’ve confirmed from ex-colleagues in Canada, this is what they use.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 2:02pm On Jan 08
Jamesclooney:

It’s a legit document. I don’t need to check any website. Here’s a redacted version of the sample.

Okay. This is good. You should get it and submit it.

I believe 30-odd quid is a very small amount for the potential premiums savings you'll get with a 13 year NCD.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Vintagee: 2:09pm On Jan 08
Mamatukwas:

Yes. By the time you clock exactly 5 years. Your ILR application should ideally already be with the Home Office

Thank you so much for your kind and quick response.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Maureen4sure: 2:14pm On Jan 08
Don't stress yourself, a link will be sent to you to complete the IHS payment in next fee days, same happent to one of my dependant.
Gift7428:
Can anyone help with why my dependent wasn’t charged for IHS?
Is there anything I need to do?
Will it delay the application?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 2:20pm On Jan 08
giselle237:
Sorry a couple of my colleagues have had this same issue. Not one. Not five. Not twelve. I am not here to argue with you or anyone else. Shalom

Well, I am saying this has happened to me and a couple of other friends which some are nairaland users.

Infact one of them had a CoS from Company A which sponsored her at the time and had CoS certificates assigned to her from 2 diff companies B and C concurrently, one of which was NHS. She later switched to her company of choice.

Not arguing either, only talking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 2:29pm On Jan 08
ehizario2012:

Seriously?? Didn't know this o. Does this mean someone with a domiciliary care CoS for example can apply and also hold a care home CoS without switching? You mean it's possible to have two employers? Kindly clarify...

I’m not sure I understand your question but I believe the reason you have another CoS is so you can switch to that company. If you don’t switch, it will expire after 3 months. You also cannot start working for that company until your application is successful.

Even on the other hand, according to the uk gov website, you can have two employers with two different CoS which will allow you to work more than 20hrs with one of them. I haven’t met anyone with this but you can find more information on the website.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:40pm On Jan 08
hi hi,

1. what if one can't account for 5years in the UK (traveling out for a period) and one is now within the 28days for the expiry of the work visa?

2. what if one already has way more than 5years but the BRP date hasn't expired? this might be my own case.. i have till end of 2025 but i would have had more than 5years before then

Mamatukwas:

You should apply for your ILR no more than 28 days before the expiry of your work visa. If you wait till it expires then you must extend it before applying.

At the time of application you should have passed your life in the UK test.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 2:57pm On Jan 08
Jamesclooney:

This document is mostly used to validate our Nigerian License in Canada. It won't do anything to prove your No claims discount.

Approach Axa Mansard to issue you one even if it is for the one year comprehensive insurance you did, hopefully it was in your name.

For clarification purposes, the letter should come from your insurance company and not FRSC. See sample attached

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 3:36pm On Jan 08
iyatrustee:

This document is mostly used to validate our Nigerian License in Canada. It won't do anything to prove your No claims discount.

Approach Axa Mansard to issue you one even if it is for the one year comprehensive insurance you did, hopefully it was in your name.

For clarification purposes, the letter should come from your insurance company and not FRSC. See sample attached

Thank you very much. I’ll do that. I’ve also sifted through my mails and found another insurance certificate from a different company, hopefully I can get from them as well. How tidy is it to get 2 or more NCDs from different Naija insurance coys? I know it’s different in the UK (it keeps rolling from one insurer to another).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by oluwaleokey: 4:06pm On Jan 08
Mamatukwas:

You should apply for your ILR no more than 28 days before the expiry of your work visa. If you wait till it expires then you must extend it before applying.

At the time of application you should have passed your life in the UK test.

The life in the UK test must be written by;
The main applicant/worker alone?
Both Main Applicants and dependant/spouse?
Can only the dependant spouse sit in for the test?

Thank you very much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 4:34pm On Jan 08
oluwaleokey:

The life in the UK test must be written by;
The main applicant/worker alone?
Both Main Applicants and dependant/spouse?
Can only the dependant spouse sit in for the test?

Thank you very much

Everyone that is = or > 18 years of age.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tenski: 4:42pm On Jan 08
ehizario2012:

Please did you get this £1080+50 with UK full license or provisional license? Tx

UK full license

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 4:43pm On Jan 08
profemebee:
hi hi,

1. what if one can't account for 5years in the UK (traveling out for a period) and one is now within the 28days for the expiry of the work visa?

2. what if one already has way more than 5years but the BRP date hasn't expired? this might be my own case.. i have till end of 2025 but i would have had more than 5years before then

1. Depends on the reason(s) for the long absences. The 28 days refers to the days before you are eligible for that visa.

2. It’s even nice (and better) to apply when you still have some time on your existing visa.

This was really useful:
https://immigrationstory.uk/en-gb/tools/ilr-calculator#calculator-questionnaire

Below is the official website
https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:43pm On Jan 08
Mamatukwas:

Yes. By the time you clock exactly 5 years. Your ILR application should ideally already be with the Home Office

But I heard the applicant is the one to determine the span of time which would make 5 years... Like someone can decide to discount the first few months in a case where employers were switched etc... how true pls?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:43pm On Jan 08
Tenski:

UK full license

Ok
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 4:46pm On Jan 08
As long as it's 5 years regardless of how many times employers were switched as the main applicant.

ehizario2012:

But I heard the applicant is the one to determine the span of time which would make 5 years... Like someone can decide to discount the first few months in a case where employers were switched etc... how true pls?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 5:03pm On Jan 08
profemebee:
hi hi,

There is an allowance for this, "Google time outside the UK for ILR"

Does not matter, the criteria is spending minimum of 5 years in the UK on a qualifying visa for the 5 year route.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:12pm On Jan 08
thanks for the responses.. i'm in great timing then.. i will read thru the provided links..

BouharryArtikou:

1. Depends on the reason(s) for the long absences. The 28 days refers to the days before you are eligible for that visa.

2. It’s even nice (and better) to apply when you still have some time on your existing visa.

This was really useful:
https://immigrationstory.uk/en-gb/tools/ilr-calculator#calculator-questionnaire

Below is the official website
https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:13pm On Jan 08
great response.. i don't have to wait till the expiry then

[quote author=Estroller post=127842313][/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by paroh137(m): 4:56am On Jan 09
Can I ask please does anyone know what site I can sell a brand new iPhone 15 in the UK? Apart from Facebook market?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 8:42am On Jan 09
paroh137:
Can I ask please does anyone know what site I can sell a brand new iPhone 15 in the UK? Apart from Facebook market?

Ebay

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by autologic: 2:35pm On Jan 09
Jamesclooney:

It’s not forgery — it’s my real driving experience in Nigeria, without making a single insurance claim. The verification is done from FRSC head office Abuja. Why you would think of the negative instead of reading what I wrote, I would never know. My question is it acceptable for UK insurers as proof of NCD?
NCD is only applicable for comprehensive insurance holder .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 4:22pm On Jan 09
With the changes in the National Insurance percentage, would monthly take home increase or decrease? Checked on the HMRC app and they are saying it would be higher from April 2023 to 6th January 2024 due to the changes taking effect from January 2024. Not sure what they meant

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 5:35pm On Jan 09
bigtt76:
With the changes in the National Insurance percentage, would monthly take home increase or decrease? Checked on the HMRC app and they are saying it would be higher from April 2023 to 6th January 2024 due to the changes taking effect from January 2024. Not sure what they meant

I'll say the estimate they referenced did not factor in the reduced NI, so your actual pay for the same time frame when compared with the estimate will be higher when the new NI rate is taken into account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:40pm On Jan 09
Jamesclooney:

But this font is cartoonish. I m happy they accepted it. Must have had a good laugh at our expense.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:43pm On Jan 09
iyatrustee:

Gosh. At least 3 typos in this. AXA budget no longer covers secretaries?

Sorry , I m a bit of a grammar nazi

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hkana: 5:46pm On Jan 09
missjekyll:

I had to go read the attached image because of you cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:59pm On Jan 09
bigtt76:

Your NI has come down slightly however because your food bills, energy bills , rent, mortgage has gone up and also because your personal tax free allowance has remained the same(fiscal drag) , You will see ZERO increase in take-home. In effect they took £10 and gave back £2.

We all need to register to vote and vote strategically to get this dogs dinner of a government out.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 7:32pm On Jan 09
missjekyll:

I saw it and cringed too cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:16pm On Jan 09
missjekyll:

Simple proof that it's an oluwole special.......😜🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 12:24am On Jan 10
Hmmm ...thank you for this explanation cheesy ...so they only reduced the NI to enable access it via tax and put in another pool for their spending on other things and shoook us £2 in return ....we no go gree cheesy

missjekyll:

Your NI has come down slightly however because your food bills, energy bills , rent, mortgage has gone up and also because your personal tax free allowance has remained the same(fiscal drag) , You will see ZERO increase in take-home. In effect they took £10 and gave back £2.

We all need to register to vote and vote strategically to get this dogs dinner of a government out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eyesaswide: 12:30am On Jan 10
Hello Elders, please I need your input in this. Someone I know was on student dependent visa and was working as a support worker. Along the line she got pregnant and went on maternity leave but was not entitled to statutory maternity pay so she got maternity allowance. She has verbally told employer she would stay up to 9 months for her maternity leave. During her leave her visa was about to expire when she approached her employer for the possibility of a sponsorship. Employer agreed and gave her a cos which she has applied for the visa.

Employer is now insisting she resumes immediately, meanwhile she is still trying to arrange childcare and all before the previously agreed time (9 months). Nb employer is threatening to cancel Cos and withdraw sponsorship.

Please how should she approach this?

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Zzzdd and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.