Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,340 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (418) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (457433 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) ... (528) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:58pm On Jan 24
Nonetheless, UK unis will still bear a huge financial brunt. This also doesn’t mean a few int’l students won’t still come over here, it just means a hugeee dip will be suffered compared to past years. Can’t pretend it’ll be the same.
Zahra29:

I highly doubt this...

EU countries take ages to even grant a visa appointment and have other barriers such as language and block accounts.

Germany and others are actively considering scrapping free/subsidised tuition for international students....

France, Hungary, Netherlands, others are taking a very hard-line stance on immigration. E.g Hungary recently slashed the number of work visas for non EU nationals and restricted the job categories they can hold, to prioritise Hungarian citizens.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Datakey: 5:01pm On Jan 24
ehizario2012:

Congratulations. Did you use the official Dvsa mobile app? And what are you using to prepare for the practical test? Tx

I used the DVSa mobile app, and foe the practicals I have been driving with my Nigerian license for a month now. I just want to attempt the practical

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:04pm On Jan 24
Leave this fable aside first, Are you the Construction worker or the Healthcare worker?
igbsam:
Wahala wahala wahala....

Out with a couple of friends, one of the guys works as a health care assistant. Moved into the uk in 2022 as a dependant. Currently earns £1605 or thereabout as take home pay after tax. Due to child care, he couldn't work more hours, said this is the reason he's earning such doing his 40hrs a week and claimed he is comfortable as his wife earns almost same too being the main applicant sponsored.

The wahala there is that, another bobo that works in construction blatantly told him, that is not a decent pay despite him covering 40hrs shift a week. Na so kasala burst o! Clash of egos, ironically, both of them just entered same time. Construction oga said he earns above £2k after tax. Told them even £1500 after tax is a decent pay, but the arguements is now causing a scene. I don book uber leave them. Our new entrants should take it easy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 5:05pm On Jan 24
pls guys is there still a possibility that someone can get free nhs hca job from nigeria with cos assuming the person has nvq3 or 4?

also guys, i wanna know if hca in nhs falls under SOC 6145 or 6146, why i am asking is because i just want to know if low level staffs of the nhs will be affected because online i can see it across major blogs that the april rule is exempted for nhs staffs no matter the role you are in.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 5:06pm On Jan 24
Chreze:

The bolded is a very difficult pill to swallow. It’s the best decision if no other means to get the money, But very very difficult to swallow. It’s far better than having a dent on their young fresh travel history. it’s very very hard.

@farnet have you tried getting a loan here in the UK?

It's difficult, but better than having them create a thread on Nairaland 18 years from now when applying for visa asking for advice on how to explain why they overstayed their visa before.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 5:18pm On Jan 24
Thewritingnerd:
Leave this fable aside first, Are you the Construction worker or the Healthcare worker?
hahaha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 5:33pm On Jan 24
Thewritingnerd:

Fable ? I am none of the mentioned. Na factory work we kuku dey do

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 5:39pm On Jan 24
Zahra29:

There isn't a special category for being born here as the kids fall under the immigration status of their parents at the time of birth.

The advantage from being born here is that it can be used to regularise their status after 7 years.
Even if you are not born in the uk, you can regularise a child after living in the uk for 7 years irrespective of the parent's status

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 6:02pm On Jan 24
abuhusna1:

Even if you are not born in the uk, you can regularise a child after living in the uk for 7 years irrespective of the parent's status

You mean a 9 year old can come to UK on a visitor visa to visit me, and not return.

7 years later, I can regularise that child?

Infact, you mean a 10 year old can come on a 1 year dependant visa. Then the 10 year old gets ‘lost’ in the crowd. Then have themselves regularised when they are 17 (7years later)?

Really?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 6:05pm On Jan 24
Mamatukwas:

How did you manage to get the wifi extenders please? I need them but reaching virgin to request has been such a hassle.

Bought a wifi extender a while ago on amazon £17. worked wonders

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 6:11pm On Jan 24
Obviously it is absolutely vital to apply for a valid visa for the kids to avoid unnecessary issues / delays. And yes, overstaying is a criminal offence but I doubt they will detain and deport child(ren) under 18 as he said. And if you go through some of the guidance (student, graduate etc), you are likely to see the attach. So yes, there are exceptions in some cases smiley

BouharryArtikou:

Are you sure they will be exempted? Even for kids that were not Born in the UK?
Even for kids that were born in Nigeria and only brought in as Tier-4 dependants??

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:16pm On Jan 24
abuhusna1:

Yes, but it's not as straightforward. It's a discretionary application which means the case worker will examine the facts of the case and the applicant/lawyer has to convince them why the child cannot return back to their home country. A child who came into the UK at 12 but went to school in Nigeria, has family and friends there etc, would have to provide more evidence on this compared to a child born here who hasn't lived anywhere else.

Bear in mind that a child who comes to the UK after the age of 10 will be turning/over 18 (considered an adult) at time of application and unlikely to be granted leave under the 7 year rule which was designed for children.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:17pm On Jan 24
ReesheesuKnack:

You mean a 9 year old can come to UK on a visitor visa to visit me, and not return.

Infact, you mean a 10 year old can come on a 1 year dependant visa. Then the 10 year old gets ‘lost’ in the crowd. Then have themselves regularised when they are 17 (7years later)?

Really?

Don't worry, Home office will soon tighten up this route as well as the abuse ramps up
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:20pm On Jan 24
Thewritingnerd:
Nonetheless, UK unis will still bear a huge financial brunt. This also doesn’t mean a few int’l students won’t still come over here, it just means a hugeee dip will be suffered compared to past years. Can’t pretend it’ll be the same.

I agree, but won't be the same anywhere. Most Western countries are clamping down on international students
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 6:22pm On Jan 24
Just to add you can make an application within 14 days after expiry of their visas and provide documents with good reason to prove your case.

As a last resort
If you fall under one of eligibility criteria, maybe you may get a waiver.
https://www.gov.uk/visa-fee-waiver-in-uk

All the best.

farnet:
Please people, has any of the below happened, and what are the implications?

Parents applied for Graduate visa and couldn't do so for the kids, all less than 6years old, because of fund.

Particular questions
1. Is there anyway it affects or will affect the parents visa?
2. In what specific ways does it affect the children?
3. What if the family doesn't have long term plan living here. Looking at moving elsewhere in near future. Does it matter or wouldn't it be a waste of scarce money ( let's say that have it) applying for children that won't be needing a brp for anything or right to work?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Otokitifunmi(f): 6:43pm On Jan 24
Hello everyone

I need advise from people who has experienced something like this;

My Spouse and I came to the Uk 3 months ago under the student route without our kids (11 & 5 years), we applied for our kids visa in Dec and they have been given. The issue now is how to bring them here as we don't have funds to have one of us travel down to Nigeria to pick them so we are contemplating they follow a family friend that would be coming to the Uk in March. Is this option available and with which airline will you advise?

I hope they won't have any issue at the Point of entry?

Which airline can you recommend that is cheap during this period ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 6:56pm On Jan 24
Solumtoya:

You can buy them on Amazon. If I check, I might even have one I can give away.

Omo I will collect oh. But it’s annoying me specially because it’s part of the package we paid for and we are not enjoying it yet. I’ll also try and reach them again. The process so far has been convoluted

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:00pm On Jan 24
Bourne007:
Just to add you can make an application within 14 days after expiry of their visas and provide documents with good reason to prove your case.

As a last resort
If you fall under one of eligibility criteria, maybe you may get a waiver.
https://www.gov.uk/visa-fee-waiver-in-uk

All the best.

It is easier for a 🐫 camel to pass through the anus of a lizard 🦎 than it will be, for a PSW visa applicant to get a waiver for their dependants.

Note: the ‘waiver’ is Public funds.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:04pm On Jan 24
Otokitifunmi:
Hello everyone

I need advise from people who has experienced something like this;

My Spouse and I came to the Uk 3 months ago under the student route without our kids (11 & 5 years), we applied for our kids visa in Dec and they have been given. The issue now is how to bring them here as we don't have funds to have one of us travel down to Nigeria to pick them so we are contemplating they follow a family friend that would be coming to the Uk in March. Is this option available and with which airline will you advise?

I hope they won't have any issue at the Point of entry?

Which airline can you recommend that is cheap during this period ?

Actually, the kids can come in on their own. There is something called ‘unaccompanied minors’

However, you may be able to give a consent for someone to bring them. Long process.

My candid advise: You and your spouse should immediately start working over time shifts in any and every legit job. Get some money then one of you travels to go and bring the kids.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:09pm On Jan 24
Bourne007:
Obviously it is absolutely vital to apply for a valid visa for the kids to avoid unnecessary issues / delays. And yes, overstaying is a criminal offence but I doubt they will detain and deport child(ren) under 18 as he said. And if you go through some of the guidance (student, graduate etc), you are likely to see the attach. So yes, there are exceptions in some cases smiley

You see, my brother. Context is EVERYTHING.
OP was clear about their particular case. Saying there are exceptions in some cases may be a truism, but you failed to situate this within the context of OP’s initial question.

While I haven’t checked yet, I can bet my bottom $ that the exceptions you refer to will not cover PSW visa applicants.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Otokitifunmi(f): 7:41pm On Jan 24
ReesheesuKnack:

It is easier for a 🐫 camel to pass through the anus of a lizard 🦎 than it will be, for a PSW visa applicant to get a waiver for their dependants.

ReesheesuKnack:

ReesheesuKnack:

Actually, the kids can come in on their own. There is something called ‘unaccompanied minors’

However, you may be able to give a consent for someone to bring them. Long process.

My candid advise: You and your spouse should immediately start working over time shifts in any and every legit job. Get some money then one of you travels to go and bring the kids.

I would have loved to come pick them myself but my Spouse's 1st school fee installment is due by 1st week in February and unfortunately he hasn't got a job yet, talk more of packing extra shifts.
Warehouse job wey I dey manage self extra shift na once in a blue moon.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 8:09pm On Jan 24
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/618540bbd3bf7f55fa926c3e/Graduate_route.pdf

ReesheesuKnack:

You see, my brother. Context is EVERYTHING.
OP was clear about their particular case. Saying there are exceptions in some cases may be a truism, but you failed to situate this within the context of OP’s initial question.

While I haven’t checked yet, I can bet my bottom $ that the exceptions you refer to will not cover PSW visa applicants.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 8:09pm On Jan 24
ReesheesuKnack:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 8:41pm On Jan 24
CowbellY:

Where.
Se18
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:01pm On Jan 24
Raalsalghul:

These are the kind of nonsense I am sorry to say you see black people (especially daft headed Nigerians) arguing about.

I see three unintelligent people in that gathering: the construction guy for not being able to empathize, the health care assistant guy allowing himself to be drawn into such an argument when the best line of action would be to ignore and lastly you for bringing such question here.

My reply is harsh and maybe unnecessary but it's the truth.

Maybe the guy is just motivating his fellow breda or maybe it's the typical Nigerian I better pass my Neighbour syndrome.

Saw a post on twitter about a guy that finished his maters and he his about to begin his PHD. He slept and never woke up. Investigation was done and cause of death is "stress". As you dey do HCA and construction try dey check on your health / blood pressure. If your body no carry work in particular day make sure you call in sick and rest. Dem just dey use shift beg me i told them im not doing no be me una go kill.

If you die today Pounds go still remain, pounds no dey finish.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:15pm On Jan 24
igbsam:

You can't help but meet these kind of people in whatever circle. Either yours or any. Haven't hanged out in a long time, but when i got an invite to and a lot of discussions were laid on the table ranging from football, politics here and back home, standard of living here and there down to this particular one which i had no power to really control after chipping in my 2cents cos both have obviously hanged out together more often than me, i called it a night and went home. Pondering about what went down with such level of comparison after i got home, decided to post it here to hear what people have to say. But one (let me hold it in, no curse words) decide to say I'm daft for bringing it here. Omo!!!

omo e be like say this thing really pain you. You cant even type a reply without Daft in it grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 9:26pm On Jan 24
lavida001:

omo e be like say this thing really pain you. You cant even typing a reply without Daft in it grin

E pain me walahi, cos no be word wey i go use for my fellow when no be say we get issues before, but as a peaceful person wey i be..i go lock up. Make who wan stup!d remain stup!d unprovoked.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:32pm On Jan 24
igbsam:

E pain me walahi, cos no be word wey i go use for my fellow when no be say we get issues before, but as a peaceful person wey i be..i go lock up. Make who wan stup!d remain stup!d unprovoked.

No be everything person dey reply on this faceless Seun platform. Atimes just look away.

But Daft na strong word grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 9:38pm On Jan 24
ReesheesuKnack:

Really?
yes for those born in the UK. They can go straight for ILR.
Illegals/overstayers are using this route like mad.
It clearly says if a child is born and spent 7 years continuously.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-indefinite-leave-to-remain-private-life/eligibility#:~:text=Children%20and%20young%20adults,basis%20of%20your%20private%20life.

The kids apply for ILR o. Once the kids get the ILR, then the parents apply and begin their 10 year journey to ILR.
For those born outside they can still apply under private life and get 2 and half year visas etc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 9:56pm On Jan 24
igbsam:

I waded in and ask they stop the comparison. When it wasn't looking like they'd drop the discussion, booked an uber and left. The best i could do at that moment. But someone who wasn't there, called me daft for bring such here when this could be something that's mostly common among people (comparison) and we could all learn from not pressuring ourselves with such. Is it not this thread someone ran to for help about him not earning much in his job and we all encouraged him ? There might be people who silently go through this. Nuff said sha. But e pain me say them call me daft, i have the perfect reply for that, but i won't derail the purpose of this thread by going down that low.
no gree for anybody. Go low 😁

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 8:11am On Jan 25
ReesheesuKnack:

Really?
The law is statight forward as long as you are not 18 before your residence in the uk is 7 years you are entitled to regularisation. No Jupiter can send the child out of uk after 7 years as he or she is entitled to private right. Many people had regularised their status this way cos as soon as the child gets regularised the parent use their child's status to regularise.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 9:05am On Jan 25
abuhusna1:

The law is statight forward as long as you are not 18 before your residence in the uk is 7 years you are entitled to regularisation. No Jupiter can send the child out of uk after 7 years as he or she is entitled to private right. Many people had regularised their status this way cos as soon as the child gets regulariaed the parent use their child's status to regularise.

This is correct to an extent. However, it is debatable whether this provision is absolute and will be applicable in cases where parents deliberately decided not to pay for visas for their children while they continued paying for themselves and either could have afforded to pay for the children's visas or could have stretched themselves to do so or sought a fee waiver if they genuinely could not pay.

At some point any such children's status might come to the HO's notice, either when they are registering for school somewhere or if they have to seek non-emergency treatment and the parents incur a bill or if a landlord asks for BRPs when parents move house, etc.

Remember that the general thrust of visa policy in this country is to collect money from migrants to pay for public services, so allowing people to get away with not paying for dependants visas to save themselves money would entail creating moral hazard that the HO might or might not decide to follow up on.

(1) (2) (3) ... (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) ... (528) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Goodenoch and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.