Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (437) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467176 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (538) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:52pm On Feb 08
segunzolawalez:
Hello everyone,
For those who have a pending health and care work visa application before 11th of March 2024, I hope they won't be affected by the new rule if they do not get a decision before 11th of March..

No, any pending applications will be assessed under the old rules.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:55pm On Feb 08
cbn4main:
Elders in the house.
Civil service just put my friend on the reserve list for an EO role. I want to ask on his behalf, how long should he expect the actual appointment?
People who have been on the list, how long did it take b4 you were appointed?

If this is a sponsored role, he will need to have a skilled worker application submitted before the 4th of April, or the role will need to meet the new £38,700 income requirement

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by segunzolawalez: 3:55pm On Feb 08
Zahra29:

No, any pending applications will be assessed under the old ruleus.

Thank you for the clarification.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by cbn4main: 4:27pm On Feb 08
Zahra29:

If this is a sponsored role, he will need to have a skilled worker application submitted before the 4th of April, or the role will need to meet the new £38,700 income requirement
It is not a sponsored role. The person is a dependant already on a HCW visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Oyi12: 5:56pm On Feb 08
Good evening elders, please if someone has already applied for PSW but a decision hasn't been made and they get a COS for healthcare, can they cancel the PSW visa and apply for the healthcare? Will the person be refunded please? Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Atk1nson(m): 7:24pm On Feb 08
Oyi12:
Good evening elders, please if someone has already applied for PSW but a decision hasn't been made and they get a COS for healthcare, can they cancel the PSW visa and apply for the healthcare? Will the person be refunded please? Thank you.

If a decision is yet to be made, yes.

If a decision has been made, no

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 7:53pm On Feb 08
It might be a week or months. You can only be in reserve list for a maximum of 6 months. I was also place in a reserve list for an EO role in November but later secured an higher grades with another government agencies and I went with them. They later contacted those on reserve list in January. I wasn’t later contacted because I withdrew my application immediately I secured that better role.
cbn4main:
Elders in the house.
Civil service just put my friend on the reserve list for an EO role. I want to ask on his behalf, how long should he expect the actual appointment?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Oyi12: 8:48pm On Feb 08
Atk1nson:

If a decision is yet to be made, yes.

If a decision has been made, no

Thank you so much. I haven't heard from them yet, I don't know if a decision has not been made.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 8:57pm On Feb 08
This was discussed few pages back .. . I don't know your status but Do not cancel if your visa has already expired or has limited days (2/3 days perhaps) left but vary your application. Else you will be categorised as overstay and have to explain why you submitted an out of time application.

Oyi12:

Thank you so much. I haven't heard from them yet, I don't know if a decision has not been made.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by cbn4main: 9:22pm On Feb 08
hayesconcept:
It might be a week or months. You can only be in reserve list for a maximum of 6 months. I was also place in a reserve list for an EA role in November but later secured an higher grades with another government agencies and I went with them. They later contacted those on reserve list in January. I wasn’t later contacted because I withdrew my application immediately I secured that better role.
Ok. Thanks for the reply.
The guy said he was placed on the reserve list for 12 months. He has to be patient then. I advised him to be searching for other roles too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Vintagee: 11:18pm On Feb 08
cbn4main:
Elders in the house.

There is no guarantee that one must be given an appointment while on the reserve list. It will happen only if a vacancy comes up in the department.

I am currently on a reserve list since August last year and nothing yet till now, so you see its not a guarantee.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tushqueen(f): 11:27pm On Feb 08
Joyglo:
Goodmorning my people. Please oh how much does it cost to do an eye test? I have a friend complaining about eye problem

If you work for the NHS, get the blue light card. You will be entitled to a free eye test and 30% discount off prescribed glasses

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rayralph(m): 11:37pm On Feb 08
Rent(ing) is dead money.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LaXxOnebody(m): 12:25am On Feb 09
I was put on the reserve list in March 2023, Im still there. Followed up a few times.

Honestly i dont expect anything from it again.

cbn4main:
Elders in the house.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 7:15am On Feb 09
Can I drive in the UK with a temporal Nigerian driver's license?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:46am On Feb 09
Efftyy:
This week make it 1year arrival in the United Kingdom.
And I am celebrating it with a Pass in my Manual Driving test .
Alliamdullilah

We move

Have you passed or hoping to pass? Theory Test or practical test? Let's know how big the celebration would be...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:57am On Feb 09
Zahra29:

@Zahra29 & all, what's the real significance of this £38,700? Is there a possibility of companies paying less than the £38,700 stated on CoS?

I just a robust understanding of this new policy, a lot of "professors" on Whatsapp groups offering various explanations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by humblemoi: 8:12am On Feb 09
directonpc:

Please err on the side if caution and don't do that.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 8:45am On Feb 09
directonpc:
Is there such a thing as “Temporal Nigerian Driver’s Licence”?
I’m hearing that for the 1st time. The only things I knew had ‘temporal’ were voters card & NIN slip (in those days).
But temporal Nigerian Driving Licence? That’s definitely a first (for me)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 8:56am On Feb 09
ReesheesuKnack:

Is there such a thing as “Temporal Nigerian Driver’s Licence”?
I’m hearing that for the 1st time. The only things I knew had ‘temporal’ were voters card & NIN slip (in those days).
But temporal Nigerian Driving Licence? That’s definitely a first (for me)
You obviously left Naija a long time ago, or didn't come in contact with someone that got a license recently.

FRSC issue a temporal driver's license that you can laminate if you so wish while you wait for the permanent one to be delivered.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 9:09am On Feb 09
ehizario2012:

Have you passed or hoping to pass? Theory Test or practical test? Let's know how big the celebration would be...

I have Passed the Pratical test .

All done and dusted with Zero Fault

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:17am On Feb 09
ehizario2012:

@Zahra29 & all, what's the real significance of this £38,700? Is there a possibility of companies paying less than the £38,700 stated on CoS?

I just a robust understanding of this new policy, a lot of "professors" on Whatsapp groups offering various explanations.

It means that post the policy implementation date, the average role will need to offer a salary of at least £38,700 to be eligible for sponsorship.

There are exceptions:

- roles on the health and care visa route (carers, NHS medical roles etc)
-occupations on the national pay scale e.g. teachers
-occupations on the shortage list (however a new, slimmed down shortage list is due to be released in April)
- graduate roles

do not have to meet this salary requirement.

The new salary requirement only applies to new applicants. Those already on a skilled worker visa can continue with their existing salary, however they would need to earn at least £29,000 to be able to bring dependants on their visa based on the new family visa rules.(from April 11). This amount will then rise to £38,700 from early 2025.

Hope this makes sense.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Abubanty: 9:36am On Feb 09
directonpc:

No. Get an international driver's licence and I also heard that's sometimes they ask for the normal drivers licence instead of international driver's licence.

Maybe you can find someone to bring it down for you when it comes out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 12:39pm On Feb 09
Abubanty:

No. Get an international driver's licence and I also heard that's sometimes they ask for the normal drivers licence instead of international driver's licence.
Maybe you can find someone to bring it down for you when it comes out.
you dont need an international drivers licence. What is asked for is the Nigerian driver’s licence

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 1:03pm On Feb 09
Cassan:
Hi everyone.
I am going on a vacation to Albania next month. What tips might you have for me?
Specifically in terms of data, currency, security, essential things to pack, activities, how to get the best experience, etc

I really look forward to your responses in this regard. Thankiuuuuuu
It was chilled, we went to Durres, Tirana, and Sarande to cross to Corfu (we were meant to visit Ksamil too, but time and we had to proceed to Montenegro because it was a long drive), the currency wasn't an issue as most of the accept Euro, but you can use your card to withdraw too. you will have to get a sim card at the airport because they don't belong to the EU, so your sim won't work.

er, it was generally safe and cheap, also you might have to rent a car because that's your best bet as public transport is not as efficient as it is in the UK, you can get it for 20 euros a day or less depending on your bargain. er, I will add more when I remember.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Damatik: 3:10pm On Feb 09
Hello house

Please how long does it take on average to switch employer on a skilled worker visa. It says 8weeks on the UK government website. Does it really take that long?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ogbaba123: 3:54pm On Feb 09
Please how early can one extend their skilled worker visa. I have about a year left on my visa but looking for extend to complete 5 years. Will the new visa start date continue from my previous expiry date. There’s no guidance regarding this on gov uk website. Please I’ll appreciate any input
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ogbaba123: 3:57pm On Feb 09
Zahra29:

It

Well detailed. For example, someone earning less than the 38k threshold and on a 3 year skilled worker visa, will they be granted the 2 years extension at the expiry of their 3 year-visa even though they earn less than 38k?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by joe10: 5:33pm On Feb 09
Please, is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? I' ve got a job with NHS and received my pay in January 2024. I sent my P45 to NHS after i received my first pay and it was taxed meanwhile, I did not pay taxes in my first employment except NI as I was told that I would not be taxed till my cumulative income reached a threshold. I have explained to my new employer and I was advised to contact HMRC. Please, how do I go about this or is it normal to start paying taxes due to change of employment eventhough i have not reached the required threshold?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 6:58pm On Feb 09
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 7:13pm On Feb 09
joe10:
Please, is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? I' ve got a job with NHS and received my pay in January 2024. I sent my P45 to NHS after i received my first pay and it was taxed meanwhile, I did not pay taxes in my first employment except NI as I was told that I would not be taxed till my cumulative income reached a threshold. I have explained to my new employer and I was advised to contact HMRC. Please, how do I go about this or is it normal to start paying taxes due to change of employment eventhough i have not reached the required threshold?
Not 100%, but I don't think this is something to even bother about. Just keep an estimate of the tax somewhere. When HMRC recalculates, they'll take back their money if you owe them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (538) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: wallg123, KingDemolah(m), Warriorprince(m), ashaju33, Peerielass and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.