Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (438) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (474904 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (545) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:49pm On Feb 09
OmichaelO:
It was chilled, we went to Durres, Tirana, and Sarande to cross to Corfu (we were meant to visit Ksamil too, but time and we had to proceed to Montenegro because it was a long drive), the currency wasn't an issue as most of the accept Euro, but you can use your card to withdraw too. you will have to get a sim card at the airport because they don't belong to the EU, so your sim won't work.

er, it was generally safe and cheap, also you might have to rent a car because that's your best bet as public transport is not as efficient as it is in the UK, you can get it for 20 euros a day or less depending on your bargain. er, I will add more when I remember.

How many days did you spend in total?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 12:12am On Feb 10
I will be happy if you can share materials/hints to make a pass with zero mistakes Congratulations once again
Efftyy:

I have Passed the Pratical test .

All done and dusted with Zero Fault

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 1:04am On Feb 10
hustla:

How many days did you spend in total?
7 days 4 countries.

But spent approx 3 In Albania.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:18am On Feb 10
Zahra29:

It means that post the policy implementation date, the average role will need to offer a salary of at least £38,700 to be eligible for sponsorship.

There are exceptions:

- roles on the health and care visa route (carers, NHS medical roles etc)
-occupations on the national pay scale e.g. teachers
-occupations on the shortage list (however a new, slimmed down shortage list is due to be released in April)
- graduate roles

do not have to meet this salary requirement.

The new salary requirement only applies to new applicants. Those already on a skilled worker visa can continue with their existing salary, however they would need to earn at least £29,000 to be able to bring dependants on their visa based on the new family visa rules.(from April 11). This amount will then rise to £38,700 from early 2025.

Hope this makes sense.

It does madam. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:22am On Feb 10
kode12:

Not 100%, but I don't think this is something to even bother about. Just keep an estimate of the tax somewhere. When HMRC recalculates, they'll take back their money if you owe them.

I'm in this situation too. I worked for just 2 days in my first job before moving over to my current job. However I've been taxed from day one on my current job, and that's for over 5 months now. What can I do to reclaim these taxes please? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:24am On Feb 10
Efftyy:

I have Passed the Pratical test .

All done and dusted with Zero Fault

Now that's a big congratulations to you big man! Excellent 👍🏾👌🏾 cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:58am On Feb 10
OmichaelO:
7 days 4 countries.

But spent approx 3 In Albania.

That's one gangsta itinerary

grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 6:42am On Feb 10
AgentXxx:
I will be happy if you can share materials/hints to make a pass with zero mistakes Congratulations once again

Used an instructor for Two hours practice to know if am doing well with my driving .
I borrowed the Instructor car and thank God the Examiner took same route my Instructor use to practice with me . So it was fun passing the route again when i already know the rules of the route .
And Secondly and importantly take your time . Don’t rush and observe your mirror like your life depends on it

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 6:42am On Feb 10
ehizario2012:

Now that's a big congratulations to you big man! Excellent 👍🏾👌🏾 cheesy

Thanks boss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 6:44am On Feb 10
ehizario2012:

I'm in this situation too. I worked for just 2 days in my first job before moving over to my current job. However I've been taxed from day one on my current job, and that's for over 5 months now. What can I do to reclaim these taxes please? Thanks

Don’t be bothered . At the end of the tax year(April) . HMRC will calculate your Tax , if you over paid you will be refunded . if you Underpaid you will be asked to topup your tax .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Atk1nson(m): 8:07am On Feb 10
joe10:
Please, is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? I' ve got a job with NHS and received my pay in January 2024. I sent my P45 to NHS after i received my first pay and it was taxed meanwhile, I did not pay taxes in my first employment except NI as I was told that I would not be taxed till my cumulative income reached a threshold. I have explained to my new employer and I was advised to contact HMRC. Please, how do I go about this or is it normal to start paying taxes due to change of employment eventhough i have not reached the required threshold?

Call hmrc and reconfirm your details. At times, hmrc assumes you've taken a second job rather than move jobs, also they estimate income.

I'll rather call to straighten it out, rather than wait to be in a refund or debt position
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 10:16am On Feb 10
You people should not laugh oh

But please I’m in London next week for a meeting- Which one area can I go and eat like I’m at home? I want Naija street food- Puff puff, Asun, Suya and Sharwama but all in the same area cause of time?

Recommend for me, please and thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:35pm On Feb 10
Mamatukwas:
You people should not laugh oh

But please I’m in London next week for a meeting- Which one area can I go and eat like I’m at home? I want Naija street food- Puff puff, Asun, Suya and Sharwama but all in the same area cause of time?

Recommend for me, please and thanks.

Peckham / Barking

Suya hut in Barking is a nice spot for Suya and you will see plenty Naija street food in the area

Alhaji Suya in Peckham is nice, Lolak Amala area too, youll get stuff around + naija vibes

grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by chidaroy(f): 12:38pm On Feb 10
Yes, that is what it means, but I will recommend that you push it to 2019.

eniola1010:

hello dear friend, they said prove that you are a potential leading talent in the last 5 years. its that clause i am trying to wrap my head around, when they say in the last 5 years, assuming i was applying for the global talent visa in 2024, do they mean i should prove i am a potential talent in 2024, 2023, 2022, 2021 and 2020

or any/and more year

between 2024 and 2020.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 12:52pm On Feb 10
hustla:

Peckham / Barking

Suya hut in Barking is a nice spot for Suya and you will see plenty Naija street food area

Alhaji Suya in Peckham is nice, Lolak Amala area too, youll get stuff around + naija vibes

grin

Thank you jare. The Lolak Amala, is it in Peckham too?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 1:10pm On Feb 10
Viruses:

You may not find where it says "you can switch visa category anytime". You can only leverage on the fact that it didn't say you can only switch at certain times as well.

Employers wanting to switch three months to expiration does not mean they think doing otherwise is illegal. I mean why will I give you a visa that'll require you to work legally when you can work legally already.

It's just to keep checking till you see the one that does not mind.

Bourne007:
More of a company policy as opposed to the gov guidelines.
You are allowed to switch to any category at time (Except visas with restrictions eg student).

Thanks for your reply.

Due to this recent news regarding increase salary threshold for sponsorship.

It’s been a mind worrying news anyway when you are initially sure that you could be sponsored on your previously salary, only to to wake up another morning and be thinking of how to meet new salary for sponsorship.

Been applying to various jobs (except private), and was able to get hold of band 6 in the long run, but the lower range of the salary still did not meet the new salary requirement but the upper range does.

How could someone approach current or prospective employer to give sponsorship before the new implementation in April.

Would need advice or guidance on this.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 1:23pm On Feb 10
Thanks but have you been driving already on your Nigerian license in the Uk?
Efftyy:

Used an instructor for Two hours practice to know if am doing well with my driving .
I borrowed the Instructor car and thank God the Examiner took same route my Instructor use to practice with me . So it was fun passing the route again when i already know the rules of the route .
And Secondly and importantly take your time . Don’t rush and observe your mirror like your life depends on it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:31pm On Feb 10
Mamatukwas:

Thank you jare. The Lolak Amala, is it in Peckham too?

Yeah Lolak Afrique is in Peckham too, there is Enish just a stone throw from that Alhaji suya too though ... so you can kill two birds with one stone.

The area is a bit rough though.. If you like Lagos vibes, you'll like Pekcham grin

You need to try the Suya and Jollof at Suyahut in Barking, na A1 grin

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 1:52pm On Feb 10
AgentXxx:
Thanks but have you been driving already on your Nigerian license in the Uk?

Yes I have been driving since I arrived this abodo UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 3:40pm On Feb 10
chidaroy:
Yes, that is what it means, but I will recommend that you push it to 2019.

okay understood, but that is quite dicey, because a lot of us after coming into uk were not in IT niche for like a year or two, so there will be a gap, hope the gap wont be an issue in the application stage.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Arap: 4:04pm On Feb 10
Schoolhike:

Thanks for your reply.

Due to this recent news regarding increase salary threshold for sponsorship.

It’s been a mind worrying news anyway when you are initially sure that you could be sponsored on your previously salary, only to to wake up another morning and be thinking of how to meet new salary for sponsorship.

Been applying to various jobs (except private), and was able to get hold of band 6 in the long run, but the lower range of the salary still did not meet the new salary requirement but the upper range does.

How could someone approach current or prospective employer to give sponsorship before the new implementation in April.

Would need advice or guidance on this.

Thanks.

I'm in this boat too and it's been very unsettling. The new policy is very harsh on those seeking skilled worker visa. Got a B6 role and HR agreed to sponsor, but near the expiry of my current visa which is 2025. My manager took my case to the HR head, but he was told I'm not the only affected candidate and they cannot change the their policy on COS till they finished consultation.

I've accepted the offer and I've started chasing B7.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 5:57pm On Feb 10
hustla:

Yeah Lolak Afrique is in Peckham too, there is Enish just a stone throw from that Alhaji suya too though ... so you can kill two birds with one stone.

The area is a bit rough though.. If you like Lagos vibes, you'll like Pekcham grin

Bros you be connoisseur for this naija street food level oo,. grin

Heard cases of people developing running stomach after Lolak amala, was that your experience? Made me refrain from going there when I was in the area.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 5:59pm On Feb 10
hustla:

Will do. Not a fan of Lagos but I will go smiley. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 12:58am On Feb 11
Arap:

I'm in this boat too and it's been very unsettling. The new policy is very harsh on those seeking skilled worker visa. Got a B6 role and HR agreed to sponsor, but near the expiry of my current visa which is 2025. My manager took my case to the HR head, but he was told I'm not the only affected candidate and they cannot change the their policy on COS till they finished consultation.

I've accepted the offer and I've started chasing B7.

Hmn, sounds like a good plan.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 2:40am On Feb 11
hustla:

That's one gangsta itinerary

grin
I swear, it was fun sha.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:12am On Feb 11
OmichaelO:
I swear, it was fun sha.

Which countries were u able to sharply visit within that short time?

Planning something and I would like to make use of 2 weeks very well
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EGRL(f): 1:19pm On Feb 11
Hello house, please I’m really confused, I’m already in the Uk, I want to apply for my husband, do we need to provide proof of funds? Must the money be kept upto 28days? My sponsor ticked yes to maintenance in my COS.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bionicman: 1:48pm On Feb 11
Hello, someone who just arrived in the UK is asking where he can get a loan of £2000 to be returned at the end of the month, the bank said it will not be granted due to no credit score. The person is looking for a personal loan or loan shark. Any advice?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 2:25pm On Feb 11
bionicman:
Hello, someone who just arrived in the UK is asking where he can get a loan of £2000 to be returned at the end of the month, the bank said it will not be granted due to no credit score. The person is looking for a personal loan or loan shark. Any advice?
It would be a bit difficult for the person to see a random person who would loan them. Why can't they be patient till month end since they would get the £2k by then?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 2:32pm On Feb 11
hustla:

Which countries were u able to sharply visit within that short time?

Planning something and I would like to make use of 2 weeks very well
Albania, N.Macedonia Greece (Corfu) and Montenegro. Had a valid schegen visa to enter Greece and N.macedonia.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:41pm On Feb 11
OmichaelO:
Albania, N.Macedonia Greece (Corfu) and Montenegro. Had a valid schegen visa to enter Greece and N.macedonia.

Nice. Think I'll do visa free ones first

Wahala of applying for visa, I don't have the strength for it right now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 5:17pm On Feb 11
hustla:

Nice. Think I'll do visa free ones first

Wahala of applying for visa, I don't have the strength for it right now
it's not that bad to be honest bro. Lol

But I get your point.

So you can do Albania and Montenegro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (545) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.