Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,219 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (499) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460153 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 8:35pm On Mar 24
Lexusgs430:

Download this app.....

Loveholidays.....

Holiday bookings are ATOL protected & it's all inclusive (don't forget to book your transfers, within the app)......

Enjoy the sun....... 🤣😁

You like enjoyment 😉.

Fun fact - i still have the website of duirell active and open in my browser since nearly 4 years you recommended the location 🫣🫣

For some reason, I am quite hesitant travelling outside because of my baby

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by domin8(f): 8:43pm On Mar 24
Evening All,

Please can someone share a cost-effective way of booking a mechanic to inspect a car about to be bought?

I want to prevent travelling until I can get an inspection report.

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:06pm On Mar 24
fatima04:

You like enjoyment 😉.

Fun fact - i still have the website of duirell active and open in my browser since nearly 4 years you recommended the location 🫣🫣

For some reason, I am quite hesitant travelling outside because of my baby

Duinrell is the best place for kids....... Travel with another family...... You guy's would NEVER want to return home ..... (It's better to drive down).…...😁

14 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:07pm On Mar 24
domin8:
Evening All,

Please can someone share a cost-effective way of booking a mechanic to inspect a car about to be bought?

I want to prevent travelling until I can get an inspection report.

Thanks!

Use AA or RAC.......

https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspection/

https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections/basic-inspection

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Umeleeds: 9:53pm On Mar 24
Yes, she has one, Under 3

Lexusgs430:

This is very simple...... Once she takes the job offer, she is no longer classed as a government pickin......

Her benefits stops + her housing benefit stops(she would join the hustle, like we fellow hustlers on the street).......😁

She would love the 12 months of earning her own money (but she would very quickly realise that, the cost of housing, no be beans) + other related cost of living expenses.....

What happens to her after 12 months..... This is the koko....... 😊

Once she leaves that temporary accommodation, she returns to the back of the queue...... 👌

Does she have a child or classed as a vulnerable person......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:02pm On Mar 24
Umeleeds:
Yes, she has one, Under 3

When you factor in, childminders tax, £24K wage & other cost of living........ It's clear like 7up ......

If I was advising her, sit on the government, till she gets her council property....... Then cross other bridges accordingly.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Umeleeds: 10:04pm On Mar 24
Thank you

Lexusgs430:

When you factor in, childminders tax, £24K wage & other cost of living........ It's clear like 7up ......

If I was advising her, sit on the government, till she gets her council property....... Then cross other bridges accordingly.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by claremont(m): 11:31pm On Mar 24
Viruses:

For those that have been clamouring for benefits/public funds, this is a wake up call. Even when you become a citizen, you might not still get it. Benefits are for the less privileged in the society. People taking advantage of it make themselves less privileged, do you want to do the same or take control of your finances? The earlier you remove your mind, the better.

When it comes to giving and receiving, I'd rather be on the giving end than the receiving end.

Correct. It's only recently I started hearing about the child benefit that can be collected and then 'self-declared' at the end of the financial year for high income earners. 15 years in the UK and never once claimed a penny.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 12:00am On Mar 25
Viruses:

For those that have been clamouring for benefits/public funds, this is a wake up call. Even when you become a citizen, you might not still get it. Benefits are for the less privileged in the society. People taking advantage of it make themselves less privileged, do you want to do the same or take control of your finances? The earlier you remove your mind, the better.

When it comes to giving and receiving, I'd rather be on the giving end than the receiving end.

The bolded is CATEGORICALLY untrue.
‘People taking advantage of benefits make themselves less privileged’ Really? That’s bunkum mate.

Do you know the salary of an Associate Professor? Senior Lecturer? Postdoctoral Researcher?
Do you know that the salary of a Band 8a nurse or radiolograher or Biomedical scientist is less than 50k pa?

Are these folks above ‘less privileged’??

Your assumption appear to conflate BENEFITS with UNIVERSAL CREDIT.

So in your postulation, Tax Credits (as mentioned by Lexusgs430 and Zahrah29 is for ‘less privileged’?
Sorry mate, you are wrong (on this occasion).

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 12:00am On Mar 25
I would have said the same thing but I got 1 year 30hr free childcare. I also did free Data science bootcamp.

For those that have access to public fund and are interested in cybersecurity, there is this government funded bootcamp that can give you 2 sans certifications (GFACT and GSEC).
Both training will cost about $12,000 if you are paying yourself. So, it is worth it. It is also widely recognised.

claremont:

Correct. It's only recently I started hearing about the child benefit that can be collected and then 'self-declared' at the end of the financial year for high income earners. 15 years in the UK and never once claimed a penny.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 12:02am On Mar 25
I am sure the person meant Universal credit.

BouharryArtikou:

Do you know the salary of an Associate Professor?
Do you know that the salary of a Band 8a nurse or radiolograher or Biomedical scientist is less than 50k pa?

So in your postulation, Tax Credits (as mentioned by Lexusgs430 and Zahrah29 is for ‘less privileged’?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:25am On Mar 25
Could labour be any better than Tory’s ?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:08am On Mar 25
For all switchers....... Santander is offering £185.00.......😊😂💷

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 6:27am On Mar 25
hustla:

That's some Odogwu scores. God when?

grin

Jokes apart, its a straightforward exam.

Issue is that we manytimes make out to these tests to be what they're not.
I remember a colleague who sat for IELTS a number of times earlier on while we were in 9ja. When I was preparing for my attempt and asked about the exam, he appeared very fascinated about the security and passport checks and cameras in the hall and how 'even your cough is monitored'. In his mind, he simply made the exam to be what it wasn't and didn't surprise me he struggled with it. Aside extenuating factors, if one had a bachelors degree in naija with now masters + time in the UK, a good IELTS score should be a given.

Also recently advised someone to take the exam as a quicker option to get her visa rather than the degree certificate route. She went on about how many people spend 3 months to prepare and still fail, how people are different e.t.c. I told her look- this exam is straightforward, I know your capability and 2 weeks is good enough time to prepare. Thankfully she took some advice and afterwards, was like- this stuff is not even hard.

Similar to the phobia with the driving test and multiple querries we had here a while back. Many struggle to believe that these are straightforward tests with clear guidance on how to prepare and that no one is trying to catch them out.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 6:30am On Mar 25
lavida001:
Could labour be any better than Tory’s ?

Not a party man but sounds like stuff to win votes.
Without a feasible ppan to ensure more houses are built, most other interventions inadvertently drive up prices.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:46am On Mar 25
dupyshoo:
I would have said the same thing but I got 1 year 30hr free childcare. I also did free Data science bootcamp.

For those that have access to public fund and are interested in cybersecurity, there is this government funded bootcamp that can give you 2 sans certifications (GFACT and GSEC).
Both training will cost about $12,000 if you are paying yourself. So, it is worth it. It is also widely recognised.

Thank you dupyshoo.
It’s a misconception to assume that the term ‘benefits’ is for poor and underprivileged people. Far from it!
30 hour childcare is definitely not for ‘people who want to receive rather than give’.
Refusing to receive the benefits that rightly belongs to you is like refusing a £200 John Lewis voucher from your landlord (on the anniversary of your annual rent contract renewal). Oga landlord is already screwing you badly (with rent hikes etc). You now refuse the ‘gift’ from the landlord, because you believe gifts from landlord is only for underprivileged people?
Nah… not at all.

See what I found on my commute this morning:

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:20am On Mar 25
claremont:

To me there’s no point claiming child benefit if your income is above the £80K threshold (previously £60K) as you would need to repay everything through self assessment at the end of the tax year. However, if the wife/husband is a stay at home parent, they can still get national insurance credits for a minimum of 12 years depending on how many children you have. A lot of people claim child benefit to protect their pension credits but opt out of actually receiving the weekly payments to avoid self assessment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 9:33am On Mar 25
Peerielass:

To me there’s no point claiming child benefit if your income is above the £80K threshold (previously £60K) as you would need to repay everything through self assessment at the end of the tax year. However, if the wife/husband is a stay at home parent, they can still get national insurance credits for a minimum of 12 years depending on how many children you have. A lot of people claim child benefit to protect their pension credits but opt out of actually receiving the weekly payments to avoid self assessment.

Another reason why the argument by @Viruses isn’t factual.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 9:34am On Mar 25
ReesheesuKnack:

Thank you dupyshoo.
It’s a misconception to assume that the term ‘benefits’ is for poor and underprivileged people. Far from it!
30 hour childcare is definitely not for ‘people who want to receive rather than give’.
Refusing to receive the benefits that rightly belongs to you is like refusing a £200 John Lewis voucher from your landlord (on the anniversary of your annual rent contract renewal). Oga landlord is already screwing you badly (with rent hikes etc). You now refuse the ‘gift’ from the landlord, because you believe gifts from landlord is only for underprivileged people?
Nah… not at all.

See what I found on my commute this morning:

I couldn’t have captured it more succinctly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:28am On Mar 25
Lexusgs430:

Nah now you go sabi say, recourse to public funds..... Nah scam.....

That moment you required the funds, it was never made available...... I hope you don't need PF, but if you do (it's always available)...... 😊🤣

NB: If you have children, start collecting child benefits (invest all funds in kids/junior ISA)..... 😍

Reesheesuknack - Are you the real Rishi Sunak ......😂

It was mentioned in my previous post ......😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:25pm On Mar 25
BouharryArtikou:

I couldn’t have captured it more succinctly.

Hehe.. leave landlords alone. You're paying for a service.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teenuh: 5:08pm On Mar 25
Hello Everyone,

Please is it legal for someone currently under COS as a support worker to volunteer in another job that’s not in the healthcare sector? e.g Admin roles etc
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 6:43pm On Mar 25
Teenuh:
Hello Everyone,

Please is it legal for someone currently under COS as a support worker to volunteer in another job that’s not in the healthcare sector? e.g Admin roles etc

Keyword: VOLUNTEER.
Key consideration: 20 hours per week.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 7:14pm On Mar 25
dupyshoo:
I am sure the person meant Universal credit.

I meant benefit.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 7:18pm On Mar 25
BouharryArtikou:

‘People taking advantage of benefits make themselves less privileged’ Really? That’s bunkum mate.

Do you know the salary of an Associate Professor? Senior Lecturer? Postdoctoral Researcher?

As I have said Benefits are [largely] for the less privileged, if your company pays annual bonus to it's staff as a form of company benefit, if you want to assume that I mean everybody working in that company are less privileged, you're welcome.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 7:37pm On Mar 25
Viruses:

As I have said Benefits are [largely] for the less privileged, if your company pays annual bonus to it's staff as a form of company benefit, if you want to assume that everybody working in that company are less privileged, you're welcome.

There is no harm (or shame) in accepting that you somehow conflate the term ’Benefits’ with ‘Universal Credit’.

There is no shame in admitting that you have been enlightened about the FACT that ‘Benefits’ are not for the ‘less privileged’.

Take the knowledge. Use it. Or store it.
And when you (eventually) qualify for benefits (such as 30-hour ‘free’ school hours) for your 2-year old, utilize. It takes nothing away from you, and it’s not because you haven’t set your ambitions (and aspirations) high enough. It’s because that is your entitlement.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 7:38pm On Mar 25
jedisco:

Yeah... so I thought. But with the new category based entry draws (which includes STEM), age has much less of an effect on the outcome. Moreso the cutoff for the category based draw is falling round by round (which could change soon as folks become more aware). For those near the cutoff, provinces would usually send then letters inviting them for a nomination which if acceptedand followed through essentially guarantees a PR. With UK experience in IT, one should be able to apply for tech jobs there which would give a work permit.
Considering the time and effort put you have put in and you being certain you'd want to continue in IT, the UK should work out but if it doesn't, it's worth not being boxed into a corner.

I'm above 30 and applied mid-last year- got a provisional nomination within a month (didn't accept it) and was picked up by the next federal draw a month afterwards. A bit of a wait and many docs requested and have now been invited to send my passport in to conclude the process. Overall, it was pretty straightforward.

Alternative could be to apply for a visit visa and get a feel directly- long wait but their visas are valid for the duration of the passport. I.e 10yrs for a 10yr passport validity.

Can you please elaborate on the bolded? I have a Canadian visit visa that is valid till 2033
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Atk1nson(m): 9:51pm On Mar 25
Teenuh:
Hello Everyone,

If you are not paid, I do not think it will even come up at the home office's end.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teenuh: 10:13pm On Mar 25
@ReesheesuKnack

Keyword: VOLUNTEER.
Key consideration: 20 hours per week.

So does this mean it’s okay as long as the person doesn’t go past the 20hrs/week rule?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teenuh: 10:16pm On Mar 25
Atk1nson

Thought so as well.
Since It’s not a job that involves payment it should be fine.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 10:20pm On Mar 25
Hwy fam, please can i get some tips and directions on how a relative of mine can bring in palm oil from Nigeria? Flying with virgin and landing at heathrow.

So basically for anyone here who has carried palm oil to London, what tips/tactics did u implore?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 11:09pm On Mar 25
BouharryArtikou:

There is no harm (or shame) in accepting that you somehow conflate the term ’Benefits’ with ‘Universal Credit’.

There is no shame in admitting that you have been enlightened about the FACT that ‘Benefits’ are not for the ‘less privileged’.

Take the knowledge. Use it. Or store it.
And when you (eventually) qualify for benefits (such as 30-hour ‘free’ school hours) for your 2-year old, utilize. It takes nothing away from you, and it’s not because you haven’t set your ambitions (and aspirations) high enough. It’s because that is your entitlement.

Thank you.
What’s the difference between universal credit and benefits, and which one of them falls under public funds?

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: TouchOfSpice(m), realking(m), 080bjaked(m), D1uncle, iyatrustee(f) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.