Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,918 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (520) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460911 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teenuh: 8:02pm On Apr 15
Viruses:

Like Lexus stated, as it's mostly used as taxi, it signifies reliability and comparatively cheap maintenance. However, it is not advisable to purchase used EV/hybrid except you can guarantee the battery's health.

I can buy a 2010 petrol/diesel car now and use it for another 10 years if I choose to. But for an EV/hybrid especially the plug in hybrid, once the battery has passed it's life span, it can be very expensive to replace.

Exactly my fear. It seems enticing but Iโ€™m skeptical about the long term maintenance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:35pm On Apr 15
[quote author=Teenuh post=129456786][/quote]

Toyota hybrid systems, would perform optimally for 20 years........ A full Toyota service history would be important + hybrid health certificates.........

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by erico2k2(m): 9:32pm On Apr 15
Viruses:

Like Lexus stated, as it's mostly used as taxi, it signifies reliability and comparatively cheap maintenance. However, it is not advisable to purchase used EV/hybrid except you can guarantee the battery's health.

I can buy a 2010 petrol/diesel car now and use it for another 10 years if I choose to. But for an EV/hybrid especially the plug in hybrid, once the battery has passed it's life span, it can be very expensive to replace.
If the battery dies you can stay on the petrol Engine since it ia Hybrid?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:47pm On Apr 15
erico2k2:

If the battery dies you can stay on the petrol Engine since it ia Hybrid?

Wrong.......
Hybrids don't have a starter motor, hence vehicle starts with the hybrid system........ Once the hybrid is kaput, replace hybrid battery or scrap vehicle......... ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜œ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by erico2k2(m): 10:12pm On Apr 15
Lexusgs430:

Wrong.......
Hybrids don't have a starter motor, hence vehicle starts with the hybrid system........ Once the hybrid is kaput, replace hybrid battery or scrap vehicle......... ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜œ
All IC Engines have a starter motor to turn the fly wheel..Unless you are talking EVs, but Hybrids have starter motors, how this is powered is a wee different from the traditional IC Engines' can do the research do not take my word for it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Meogom: 10:32pm On Apr 15
jedisco:

It's not public funds

Noted. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Meogom: 10:32pm On Apr 15
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Meogom: 10:33pm On Apr 15
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Adunnishugar(f): 11:14pm On Apr 15
Hello all, please I have a few urgent questions.

I want to invite my mum over as I would be giving birth in a few months, I am the one sponsoring her.
I have been hearing different information on how many months POF is needed
Some just said one month is okay, I was thinking of doing three months. Is that okay?

Secondly how much POF do I need to have in my account, is ยฃ5k okay?

Lastly, Iโ€™m sponsoring her but she also has a running business (a bakery) that we intend to use has home ties along with my dad and little sister being in Nigeria. Would she need to also show her account statement, if yes, how much should she have?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:39pm On Apr 15
Zahra29:

Yup, well earning professionals who could have afforded a UK based nanny but instead jeopardised their careers and freedom.

Hopefully this serves as a further warning to people who still think they can exploit bring over someone from Nigeria. Those people from Nigeria are much sharper now.

They just need one person in African store or church to gossip with. Once the person wispers "if you report, you will get ILR" that's it ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:52pm On Apr 15
Lexusgs430:

That's not always the true story...... The nanny in most cases, would set her employers up very nicely..........

The employers should go through the normal route and provide Tier-2 sponsorship for the nanny and be ready to meet all employment conditions or simply get a nanny here.

This childcare thing touch everybody here including citizens, that is part of why their population is not growing astronomically like back home.

If given the chance, the slavery many people here will practice will be worse than those of olden days.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:16am On Apr 16
Adunnishugar:
Hello all, please I have a few urgent questions.

I want to invite my mum over as I would be giving birth in a few months, I am the one sponsoring her.
I have been hearing different information on how many months POF is needed
Some just said one month is okay, I was thinking of doing three months. Is that okay?

Secondly how much POF do I need to have in my account, is ยฃ5k okay?

Lastly, Iโ€™m sponsoring her but she also has a running business (a bakery) that we intend to use has home ties along with my dad and little sister being in Nigeria. Would she need to also show her account statement, if yes, how much should she have?

If you are sponsoring a working class/business owner, the person needs to prove financial independence. She needs her account statement. The balance will depend on how much she states that she earns monthly/annually. It should be reflective.

How do you mean PoF? For bank statement you just need to show the recent balance so it could be one month. For payslips, 3 months is advisable.

Is there any reason why you would not like to present 3 months payslip? We can thrash it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:32am On Apr 16
ehizario2012:

Their people would suffer more if they lose their world power status, so many people (incl. Russia, China esp.) want to see the USA subdued. The USA remains a world power militarily, and they already returning their productions' base from Asia back to home.

They are world power as a result of stealing, and starting propaganda in other nations because they donโ€™t want white people to suffer. Right.

Letโ€™s call the US for what they are pls.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 2:35am On Apr 16
[quote author=Ayofemidara post=129442065]Hello everyone, please help me out. I got to UK about 6 months ago, how do I bring someone from Nigeria because child care is killing my salary. Thank you [/quote
It rarely ends well. Ever
If you're lucky they will just run away ,
Or they report you to get their stay and you end up in jail.

Don't help anyone come to the uk for rhe purpose of childcare

Find someone in the UK

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Adunnishugar(f): 3:57am On Apr 16
Viruses:

If you are sponsoring a working class/business owner, the person needs to prove financial independence. She needs her account statement. The balance will depend on how much she states that she earns monthly/annually. It should be reflective.

How do you mean PoF? For bank statement you just need to show the recent balance so it could be one month. For payslips, 3 months is advisable.

Is there any reason why you would not like to present 3 months payslip? We can thrash it.

Thank you,
She was refused last year, in that application she used an agent that stated she earns 1.5m monthly, which I think is too much, can we reduce the figure for this application? Or must we use the same figures we gave last time?

In this new application we are thinking of reducing her salary to about 800k as it makes more sense since her Account balance is about 3m.
Hope this would not be an issue?
For more context she own a bakery.

No I donโ€™t mind showing my three months payslip, I intend to show three months payslip along with my bank statement.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:02am On Apr 16
Adunnishugar:

Thank you,
She was refused last year, in that application she used an agent that stated she earns 1.5m monthly, which I think is too much, can we reduce the figure for this application? Or must we use the same figures we gave last time?

In this new application we are thinking of reducing her salary to about 800k as it makes more sense since her Account balance is about 3m.

No I donโ€™t mind showing my three months payslip, I intend to show three months payslip along with my bank statement.

Are you sure that's the only false information the agent provided......... Are you sure your mum, never chop 10 year ban.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:20am On Apr 16
erico2k2:

All IC Engines have a starter motor to turn the fly wheel..Unless you are talking EVs, but Hybrids have starter motors, how this is powered is a wee different from the traditional IC Engines' can do the research do not take my word for it

Internal combustion engines, have a starter motor...... But hybrid systems are more complicated than ICE......

Hence if the hybrid pack is faulty, the vehicle would simply not start......... Why do people bother attempting to fix their hybrid vehicles, if the vehicle would ordinarily operate without the hybrid system.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:25am On Apr 16
Viruses:

They just need one person in African store or church to gossip with. Once the person wispers "if you report, you will get ILR" that's it ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Someone I personally know brought a lady from Nigeria, he even encouraged me to do same(me wey be street boy, I refused).......

After the church, African store whisper enter the nanny head finish, she pulled a fast one on them.......

The case went on for almost 13 month's, after all said and done........

Husband was sentenced to 36 months, wife chop 45 months sentence..........

NB: If you love your sanity and freedom, don't ever think of importing a Nigerian nanny...... ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‚

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BeckyB1(f): 6:59am On Apr 16
Greetings Everyone. Please is it possible to get a room in a shared apartment around Lewisham or towards Croydon for ยฃ500?
I urgently need a room please ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 7:11am On Apr 16
Lexusgs430:

Someone I personally know brought a lady from Nigeria, he even encouraged me to do same(me wey be street boy, I refused).......

After the church, African store whisper enter the nanny head finish, she pulled a fast one on them.......

The case went on for almost 13 month's, after all said and done........

Husband was sentenced to 36 months, wife chop 45 months sentence..........

NB: If you love your sanity and freedom, don't ever think of importing a Nigerian nanny...... ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‚

Thing is - you're framing this as the 'nannies' are turning against the people who brought them over maliciously because they want to get ILR or because they've been whispered to, but the obvious question is whether those people were treating them fairly and in line with the law.

There's a minimum wage, and there are guidelines on worker conditions. Even failing to pay minimum wage won't generally result in the kinds of sentences in your example, so there must have been serious aggravating factors like those described in the article about the GPs - seizing passport, verbal and physical abuse etc.

People who know they can pay childminders, they can hire au pairs, and they can take there children to nursery, but want to import people (other than family who are knowingly coming to assist like grandparents) know what they are doing, and the focus should be on them rather than implying that the nannies trying to escape their yokes are doing something bad.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:32am On Apr 16
Goodenoch:

Thing is - you're framing this as the 'nannies' are turning against the people who brought them over maliciously because they want to get ILR or because they've been whispered to, but the obvious question is whether those people were treating them fairly and in line with the law.

There's a minimum wage, and there are guidelines on worker conditions. Even failing to pay minimum wage won't generally result in the kinds of sentences in your example, so there must have been serious aggravating factors like those described in the article about the GPs - seizing passport, verbal and physical abuse etc.

People who know they can pay childminders, they can hire au pairs, and they can take there children to nursery, but want to import people (other than family who are knowingly coming to assist like grandparents) know what they are doing, and the focus should be on them rather than implying that the nannies trying to escape their yokes are doing something bad.

This story I am familiar with, the nanny agreed percentage of her salary, should be sent to her family (she completely denied this fact) and a host of other things......

Once she reported been enslaved, all bets are off.......

I would never advice anyone to import a nanny from Nigeria..... Get a UK registered au pair provider, bring your mother, tweak working schedules etc etc..... Rather than seeking a cheaper alternative, that becomes an expensive mistake........

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 8:10am On Apr 16
Adunnishugar:

Thank you,

My relative invited his mum. He fully sponsored the trip. The money in the mother's bank statement was not much. He used six minths bank statement and payslips. He explained that the mum depends on my cousins and him for her monthly upkeep and doesnt earn anything again. The cover letter was "well" written with emotions sef. He earns extremely well but i dont know how much he used to sponsor cos his actions during those visa application times were deliberate at guiding the exact amount he earns and his bank statement lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:09am On Apr 16
Poanan:

My relative invited his mum. He fully sponsored the trip. The money in the mother's bank statement was not much. He used six minths bank statement and payslips. He explained that the mum depends on my cousins and him for her monthly upkeep and doesnt earn anything again. The cover letter was "well" written with emotions sef. He earns extremely well but i dont know how much he used to sponsor cos his actions during those visa application times were deliberate at guiding the exact amount he earns and his bank statement lol.

The devil in OP's detail is, her mum could have been banned for 10 years.........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Madeu(m): 9:39am On Apr 16
Adunnishugar:

Thank you,

In most Nigerian homes especially from the older generation, the father is the breadwinner and the mom is like a housewife who earns next to nothing.
It is acceptable for you to invite your mom to the UK if she's a housewife who resides in a house owned by her husband.
Also, you have to state you will be responsible for her time and sponsor the whole trip.
I believe that 5-6k in your account is enough and 3-6 months of payment slips. You don't need to inflate her monthly income.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:00am On Apr 16
Zahra29:

The government has to strike a balance that also takes into consideration affordability for UK students, especially those from middle and working class backgrounds. If universities were allowed to charge what they wanted, with no cap in place, it would very quickly become unattainable for the majority from the above backgrounds, or become like the US where many are shackled by student loan debt for most of their working lives.

Before the Tories came into power, university fees were paid by the government and many students paid little to nothing. So to go from that to graduating with c30k student debt is already seen as unfair.

In a country with an and increasingly narrow fiscal headroom. Someone has to pay for every largesse.

As it unfolds, certain things have become obvious.

1. Fees from international student form an important part of universities revenue. More importantly- about the only pie they have significant control over.

2. There are a limited number of folks out there willing to stand on the 'student mill', hand over thousands of pounds, receive insults while at it and be chucked out at the other end with only a piece of paper and no reasonable pathway to stay.

Many govt regulated rates minimum wage, utility bills, transport fees move up yearly sometimes with inflation. The increasing expenditure of unis would ultimately have to be borne by someone. Its either one or a mix of govt increasing funding, unis increase efficiency/cut down massively or unis look for funding elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by erico2k2(m): 12:09pm On Apr 16
BeckyB1:
Greetings Everyone. Please is it possible to get a room in a shared apartment around Lewisham or towards Croydon for ยฃ500?
I urgently need a room please ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ
go to spare room .com

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:05pm On Apr 16
jedisco:

In a country with an and increasingly narrow fiscal headroom. Someone has to pay for every largesse.

As it unfolds, certain things have become obvious.

1. Fees from international student form an important part of universities revenue. More importantly- about the only pie they have significant control over.

2. There are a limited number of folks out there willing to stand on the 'student mill', hand over thousands of pounds, receive insults while at it and be chucked out at the other end with only a piece of paper and no reasonable pathway to stay.

Many govt regulated rates minimum wage, utility bills, transport fees move up yearly sometimes with inflation. The increasing expenditure of unis would ultimately have to be borne by someone. Its either one or a mix of govt increasing funding, unis increase efficiency/cut down massively or unis look for funding elsewhere.

Or maybe both the UK government and universities should take lessons from their European neighbours , such as Germany , where tuition fees are free or very heavily subsidised for their citizens.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:12pm On Apr 16
Viruses:

๐Ÿ’ฏ

I've even heard (false) rumours about how one can get ILR instantly if you report your spouse for DV. They don't even bother to read the conditions e.g. DV from British spouse is quite different to DV from Tier 2 spouse.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 1:27pm On Apr 16
Adunnishugar:

Thank you,

On an account balance of 3M, I would say salary should be around 250k because if I've been earning 800k for the past 5 years, I think I should have more than 3M in my account.

If she can use her 3 to 6 months bank statement it will be good.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 1:45pm On Apr 16
On a different note, how do people bring in nannies from Nigeria. Do they do visiting visas and then the person becomes an overstayer because the only travel route I know is visit, work, study or spousal

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:07pm On Apr 16
Zahra29:

Or maybe both the UK government and universities should take lessons from their European neighbours , such as Germany , where tuition fees are free or very heavily subsidised for their citizens.

Or even Scotland next door with free tuition but also higher income tax and lower thresholds. Ultimately, in macroeconomics there is no such thing as 'free'. Every largesse has to be paid for.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:25pm On Apr 16
The importance of travel insurance.......

Family faces ยฃ8,000-a-DAY hospital bills after uninsured British tourist, 32, falls into mystery coโ€ฆ https://mol.im/a/13313501 via https://dailym.ai/android

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: toughest007, Globalshaper, Bodacious1, dustydee, OfferAccepted and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.