Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,847 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (521) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460817 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 5:57pm On Apr 16
Adunnishugar:

Thank you,
She was refused last year, in that application she used an agent that stated she earns 1.5m monthly, which I think is too much, can we reduce the figure for this application? Or must we use the same figures we gave last time?

In this new application we are thinking of reducing her salary to about 800k as it makes more sense since her Account balance is about 3m.
Hope this would not be an issue?
For more context she own a bakery.

No I don’t mind showing my three months payslip, I intend to show three months payslip along with my bank statement.

The 1st rule of visa application is to tell the truth and not lie or fake anything. If she doesn't earn 800k then don't state it.

Even if she has 3m in her account, the caseworker will be looking to find the 800k salary on the bank statement.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:17pm On Apr 16
Viruses:
On a different note, how do people bring in nannies from Nigeria. Do they do visiting visas and then the person becomes an overstayer because the only travel route I know is visit, work, study or spousal

Pretty much..

Although there's actually a visa route for overseas domestic workers to come to the UK with their employer for 6 months maximum:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-domestic-worker-visa

Before the Tories changed the rules in 2012, this route was similar to a skilled work visa and could lead to settlement after 5 years.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:41pm On Apr 16
BeckyB1:
Greetings Everyone. Please is it possible to get a room in a shared apartment around Lewisham or towards Croydon for £500?
I urgently need a room please 🙏🏽

It’s possible but also difficult

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 6:43pm On Apr 16
Zahra29:

The government has to strike a balance that also takes into consideration affordability for UK students, especially those from middle and working class backgrounds. If universities were allowed to charge what they wanted, with no cap in place, it would very quickly become unattainable for the majority from the above backgrounds, or become like the US where many are shackled by student loan debt for most of their working lives.

Before the Tories came into power, university fees were paid by the government and many students paid little to nothing. So to go from that to graduating with c30k student debt is already seen as unfair.

I thought it was Tony Blair’s LABOUR govt that introduced tuition fees?
I thought the Higher Education Act was promulgated in 2004?
I thought Labour was in govt in 2004?
I thought Gordon Brown’s LABOUR govt commissioned a review which found that more money was needed by the universities?

Or am I thoughting wrong?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:54pm On Apr 16
ReesheesuKnack:

I thought it was Tony Blair’s LABOUR govt that introduced tuition fees?
I thought the Higher Education Act was promulgated in 2004?
I thought Labour was in govt in 2004?
I thought Gordon Brown’s LABOUR govt commissioned a review which found that more money was needed by the universities?

Or am I thoughting wrong?

One of Blair's flagship mandates was to increase the number of young people going into higher education.

In Blair's time, uni fees were means tested and capped at around £1k. Most students paid nothing up to £1/1.5k for higher earning households. The government paid the rest.

Tory and Libdem coalition scrapped the above and raised the cap to c £9k with little/no government assistance. There were protests at the time and Libdem(Nick Clegg) were punished for many years afterwards for going back on their manifesto promises.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:08pm On Apr 16
Michael Palin got a documentary on Nigeria....... Starts at 2100 tonight....... 😂

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Adunnishugar(f): 8:45pm On Apr 16
heroshark:

The 1st rule of visa application is to tell the truth and not lie or fake anything. If she doesn't earn 800k then don't state it.

Even if she has 3m in her account, the caseworker will be looking to find the 800k salary on the bank statement.

Well she doesn’t have a fixed salary, she’s self employed sometimes she make 800 and sometimes it could be more or less, but she wants to start paying her self a fixed salary (from her business account to savings) for the purpose of the visa application, so technically it’s not a lie. I just want to know how much salary would be reasonable considering that she’s planning to show a three months bank statement with a balance of 3 million.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 10:32pm On Apr 16
Lexusgs430:
Michael Palin got a documentary on Nigeria....... Starts at 2100 tonight....... 😂

I recorded it. Looking forward to watching it later.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 11:05pm On Apr 16
Adunnishugar:

Well she doesn’t have a fixed salary, she’s self employed sometimes she make 800 and sometimes it could be more or less, but she wants to start paying her self a fixed salary (from her business account to savings) for the purpose of the visa application, so technically it’s not a lie. I just want to know how much salary would be reasonable considering that she’s planning to show a three months bank statement with a balance of 3 million.

These things are not set in stone as somone on 100k salary could be granted a visa and someone on 1m may be denied. If you are using her salary as proof, make you you cover all bases just to be on the safe side e.g Payslips, perhaps showing income tax paid from a business account. If you are stating that she owns the business, perhaps include the income statement and tax documents. Again, it may be an overkill but up to you. For me, I like to keep mine simple, I just follow the guide for the visa category I am applying for and if I feel good, I might throw in one or two optionals. never been rejected.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Adunnishugar(f): 11:54pm On Apr 16
dustydee:

These things are not set in stone as somone on 100k salary could be granted a visa and someone on 1m may be denied. If you are using her salary as proof, make you you cover all bases just to be on the safe side e.g Payslips, perhaps showing income tax paid from a business account. If you are stating that she owns the business, perhaps include the income statement and tax documents. Again, it may be an overkill but up to you. For me, I like to keep mine simple, I just follow the guide for the visa category I am applying for and if I feel good, I might throw in one or two optionals. never been rejected.

Okay noted
thank you so much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 2:37am On Apr 17
Adunnishugar:

Does your mum make that amount of money monthly or her business. The two entities are different, the business makes 800k monthly is not your mum makes 800k monthly. Does she pay herself a salary from the business? If yes, that is her income. The best her business can do for her is establish ties to Nigeria. If there is any ambiguity in her finances even if the business makes £1million a month it is a rejection, chances are better for a stay at home mum with no income to get the visa who comes out clean about her financial situation with sponsorship than all this rigmaroling you are trying to do.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 5:39am On Apr 17
Adunnishugar:

Like you are aware, she and her business are different entities. If she is not including her business but rather stating she is employed by the business then her case should be like any other employee. Her 'job' could then be a tie back home.

First is having reasonable savings at the onset of the statement.
Secondly you need to consider how much she's reporting as her budget for the trip. A relatively short stay should cut down expense. Overall, it's better not to exceed 3x her monthly pay. You could decide she'd stay with you to cut down on accommodation expense.

If she pays herself salary from a business account and has tax deducted payslips to back it up then one wouldn't expect an issue with that.
Also, there should be regular spending from her account to show its in use and being spent from.

When I initially applied for my visit visa, I had to 'prepare' my account. I ensured the opening balance was reasonable and tailored monthly expenditure from my account for a while. Aside regular living expense and some purchases, any other major expense (incl some application fees) were paid from a different source. I mentioned my job among others as my home connection. Also including my appointment letter.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:51am On Apr 17
Peerielass:

I recorded it. Looking forward to watching it later.

Can't wait to watch the next episode...... Was a very interesting documentary.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Christabeliciou: 8:52am On Apr 17
Hello Gurus in the house.

Please I need guidance on visiting the US for a vacation..

2022 while I was in Nigeria tourists visa for vacation was denied.

Currently, I am in the UK as a skilled worker for a year now, I want to visit the US for a vacation, what and what do I need.

Do I still go on a tourist visit on vacation or conference, if it's conference, then what conferences will relate to my kind of job as a skilled worker for Health Care Assistant/Support worker.
So I don't really know what the US embassy wants.

I don't know if i am not doing the right thing with the DS160 form as expected.

Please your suggestion and opinions will count. Thanks

Lexusgs430:

Can't wait to watch the next episode...... Was a very interesting documentary.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Advision: 9:01am On Apr 17
080bjaked:

Office365 web version is free I believe. You can use that instead.

Libre office.

It is free, but you may need to relearn some functions as it slightly differs from microsoft office.

But that is what I use on my personal laptop.

Never paid microsoft subscription while in Nigeria, it is hard to start paying here smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:27am On Apr 17
Christabeliciou:
Hello Gurus in the house.

Please I need guidance on visiting the US for a vacation..

2022 while I was in Nigeria tourists visa for vacation was denied.

Currently, I am in the UK as a skilled worker for a year now, I want to visit the US for a vacation, what and what do I need.

Do I still go on a tourist visit on vacation or conference, if it's conference, then what conferences will relate to my kind of job as a skilled worker for Health Care Assistant/Support worker.
So I don't really know what the US embassy wants.

I don't know if i am not doing the right thing with the DS160 form as expected.

Please your suggestion and opinions will count. Thanks

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Don't leave Esther behind....... Abi nah ESTA .........🤣😜

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LandingistForum: 11:59am On Apr 17
I own this travel blog forum and I want to give it out to an interested person that wants to invest in blogging for a fee.

It's an added advantage If you live abroad. It'd be easier to get it approved by Google adsense. You know how fast foreign Google Adsense get approval and start paying.

It's a forum site just like nairaland where people share their stories, travel experiences, gossip, make posts, like posts, share posts, mention other users and send private mails. (It's exactly as nairaland)

Check it out today!

Here's the URL to the site: https://landinggist.com/

Let's talk, reach out here: 2348106337690
as.242@yahoo.com

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Christabeliciou: 12:07pm On Apr 17
Thanks a lot 😊

Lexusgs430:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Don't leave Esther behind....... Abi nah ESTA .........🤣😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 12:32pm On Apr 17
Use CV library. Google Cv library, sign up and add your cv.
terrymason:
Lol. It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than to see babe for this wahala condition.

Grays is located in South east though. I don apply for job tire for indeed. Maybe na connection and prayer ni I never try. So, I'm still available if anything comes up. Gracias kiss

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 12:48pm On Apr 17
Hello,

Wondering If anyone has had experience shipping a freezer from the UK to Nigeria and wiling to share steps to follow please. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:07pm On Apr 17
CowbellY:
Hello,

Wondering If anyone has had experience shipping a freezer from the UK to Nigeria and wiling to share steps to follow please. Thanks.

I don't have such experience, when I replaced my freezer. I simply took old freezer to the dump site.......

When you consider cost of shipping and clearing, it would be like throwing good money at bad..... Brand new freezers in Nigeria, are not too expensive......

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by terrymason(m): 2:41pm On Apr 17
Thewritingnerd:
Thanks alot. My CV don dey there since. I uploaded on ineed too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by taalas: 3:41pm On Apr 17
@Thewritingnerd and everyone, I arrived in the UK on the 10th of April and this is the 3rd time I have gone to the post office for BRP collection but its not yet arrived. My employer needs my share code for necessary checks before I can take up my role with them. Please any tips on how to go round it or contact home office. Thanks
Thewritingnerd:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by cyrusmillz: 3:56pm On Apr 17
Hello everyone , what's it like living in York?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 6:07pm On Apr 17
Lexusgs430:

Yes indeed. I think his portrayal of Lagos was very balanced. Oftentimes they tend to show only the slums and poverty ridden places but we caught a glimpse of how the other half live in Lekki and environs.

It didn’t end well for me though…..I’ve been craving Suya since watching the documentary earlier on 🥲.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by okposm: 6:11pm On Apr 17
Elders please I need advise on what to do. I recently resumed a role in the civil service which required me to change location. The house I got said they needed reference but they did not go into detail to state the type of reference.

I received a call from the agent asking for employer's reference this after they obtained reference from my present landlord.. I explained to them that the dept where I work do not encourage their staff to put up exact dept where they work on even linkedin.

They now asked me for payslip to show as evidence that I work in the civil service but since it is my first month, I told them the situation. They now asked for work contract. While battling if that could be a breach of data policy of this particular dept, I received a mail this morning on the use of ID card . It was a general mail sent out that staff should not use ID card outside the building, staff are not allowed to make presentation with ID card or take a picture while with the ID card.

I got a call from Agent doing reference check and discussed the situation and they settled for a screenshot of my start date and my salary. Unfortunately, salary was not stated on the offer letter instead the offer referred me back to the advert. I still submitted to them that part of the letter like that. This agent now came back to ask for payslip again. I just replied their email to look at their outbound calls to me and see notes documented. Then they later replied thank you for the email and information supplied.

I thought the reason for asking for contract is to be sure I am working and can pay future rent. Please how do I go about this? For the record the rent is less than 550pcm bills inclusive which can be paid by anyone working fulltime @Lexusgs430 and elders abeg wetin I go tell these people in case they come back.

Cos my present apartment, na landlord tell me where my neighbour de work, location and how he will soon start working from home.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:23pm On Apr 17
okposm:
Elders please I need advise on what to do. I recently resumed a role in the civil service which required me to change location. The house I got said they needed reference but they did not go into detail to state the type of reference.

I received a call from the agent asking for employer's reference this after they obtained reference from my present landlord.. I explained to them that the dept where I work do not encourage their staff to put up exact dept where they work on even linkedin.

They now asked me for payslip to show as evidence that I work in the civil service but since it is my first month, I told them the situation. They now asked for work contract. While battling if that could be a breach of data policy of this particular dept, I received a mail this morning on the use of ID card . It was a general mail sent out that staff should not use ID card outside the building, staff are not allowed to make presentation with ID card or take a picture while with the ID card.

I got a call from Agent doing reference check and discussed the situation and they settled for a screenshot of my start date and my salary. Unfortunately, salary was not stated on the offer letter instead the offer referred me back to the advert. I still submitted to them that part of the letter like that. This agent now came back to ask for payslip again. I just replied their email to look at their outbound calls to me and see notes documented. Then they later replied thank you for the email and information supplied.

I thought the reason for asking for contract is to be sure I am working and can pay future rent. Please how do I go about this? For the record the rent is less than 550pcm bills inclusive which can be paid by anyone working fulltime @Lexusgs430 and elders abeg wetin I go tell these people in case they come back.

Cos my present apartment, na landlord tell me where my neighbour de work, location and how he will soon start working from home.

See if you can use a guarantor
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:44pm On Apr 17
okposm:

Have you spoken to your HR department....... To do spy work, no easy .......🤣😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:46pm On Apr 17
Peerielass:

Yes indeed. I think his portrayal of Lagos was very balanced. Oftentimes they tend to show only the slums and poverty ridden places but we caught a glimpse of how the other half live in Lekki and environs.

It didn’t end well for me though…..I’ve been craving Suya since watching the documentary earlier on 🥲.

That suya looked fire 🔥🔥🔥..... It was indeed a very balanced documentary........

I would be visiting Peckham rye soon, to load up on suya........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by okposm: 9:59pm On Apr 17
ReesheesuKnack:

See if you can use a guarantor

Thanks. I have started looking for another house. The checks are just too much for that type of house. They ran a credit check, They sent reference to landlord. Never defaulted not even by a day. That should be enough comfort. The deposit is 2/3 of rent. Now the landlord is stating issues like i lied i work in the civil service. That's too much. Someone trying to call me a thief even after I made a proposal for them to view the contract when i come to their office.

I will call them up if they are okay with what was provided and if not, they should refund me my holding deposit.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by okposm: 10:21pm On Apr 17
Lexusgs430:

Have you spoken to your HR department....... To do spy work, no easy .......🤣😜
I dont know the HR never met them for a day. They never called directly. Even during documentation i dont think any of them attended to me. If the hr is in that building i dont know the floor. If they call hr those ones will say they need staff number. I dont want them to come and meet to remind me of data policy issues. it is not spie work but as with most govt dept deal with the public. I have started looking for another house.
The landlord wrote something that looks like i am lying.

I will call them up tomorrow to see if they are good with the info they have. Assuming i have a payslip, i would have just blurred some parts and send it to them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:07pm On Apr 17
okposm:

I dont know the HR never met them for a day. They never called directly. Even during documentation i dont think any of them attended to me. If the hr is in that building i dont know the floor. If they call hr those ones will say they need staff number. I dont want them to come and meet to remind me of data policy issues. it is not spie work but as with most govt dept deal with the public. I have started looking for another house.
The landlord wrote something that looks like i am lying.

I will call them up tomorrow to see if they are good with the info they have. Assuming i have a payslip, i would have just blurred some parts and send it to them.

You are over thinking this issue and really terrified of that email you received.......

All you need to do is to speak to HR, requesting guidelines on how to provide reference to your estate agents.......

Most estate agents that insure their tenants rents, have requirements from their insurance providers, to check all this documentations or they are simply conducting their due diligence.....

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (518) (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Wegetju and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.