Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (526) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (466829 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) ... (538) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:27pm On Apr 21
Cyberknight:

Just like in many other situations in life, there is no right or wrong answer to your overall dilemma regarding the care sponsorship. All you will get are other people's opinions, which may or may not be coloured by their own experiences.

In response to your questions, you can get sponsorship in any field, including the career line you mentioned. The chances of sponsorship vary naturally with the level of demand for your job role and the potential willingness of employers to secure qualified and/or experienced staff.

But the way the UK immigration system is structured means that when you are in a non-health and care role, you pay way more in terms of visa fees and IHS than those in such roles. In some jobs you have to pay the fees then claim them back. To get this out of the way, I am in an administrative skilled worker role in the NHS, so I pay the IHS and claim it back.

However, you also have to factor in security as well as cost. Your husband might be looking at the fact that the care sector is almost as stable in the UK as the civil service back in Naija - it is definitely almost certain that if you get a care-sponsored job you aren't likely to lose it except you do something major. You are likely to see out your 5 year visa and get settlement. While the private sector on the other hand is less stable. However, as an aside, I happen to know a bit about the pharma industry because I work in medical research and we interface with the pharma chaps a lot and I do think that if you get such a role with sponsorship it is likely to be quite stable.

My opinion would be to keep applying and see what comes up, after all you have more than 18 months to go. Ultimately it's a question of calculating risk. Do you have a fallback if you don't take the care COS and happen not to get a sponsored job within the more than 18 months time you have as a dependent? Can you get a fallback? What are your husband's own employment prospects like? What career had he in Naija, what is he studying here? Is he likely or unlikely to get some sponsored role? Take all these and more into consideration and make a decision.

Spot on.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 4:52pm On Apr 21
Cyberknight:

I dont think its illegal. 6 May is almost here?

The important thing is that they can't conduct viewings of the property without your consent, so they might ask you if will agree for them to bring potential tenants to view the place at times you find convenient. You can say no if you like. But if you and the landlord have got along well, then if they ask, see if you can make concessions to them, for the sake of goodwill, even if you don't need a reference from them.

Thank you for your response.
They had already requested for access for viewing . I might just grant them one of the 2 days requested. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 7:00pm On Apr 21
ehizario2012:

Chief, the USA is protecting its own interest - not loving those countries. They believe in attack being the best form of defense, and they ensure their interests are being protected far far away from homeland. Republicans did this, Democrats too are doing it too. That's the American way.

Let’s call a spade a spade. it’s nonsensical for them to see think they are world police. When others try to do what they have been doing they come up with the protecting democracy gibberish.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 7:06pm On Apr 21
ehizario2012:

Chief, the USA is protecting its own interest - not loving those countries. They believe in attack being the best form of defense, and they ensure their interests are being protected far far away from homeland. Republicans did this, Democrats too are doing it too. That's the American way.

What is US interest please?
We as Africans need to be conscious of our place in the world. Until then we will continue to be toss around by the west.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by TRS2020: 7:33pm On Apr 21
miidae:
Good day everyone Please I need your honest advice My husband is on a student visa which will expire Sept 2025, he came in sept 2023 and I joined him 27th of March, 2024.
When I got here hubby said I shouldn’t bother looking for my job here because I won’t get sponsorship that he already has a care job for me (got my brp on Wednesday and awaiting NI)
I have over 7yrs of experience in QA/QC in pharma, my last roles was QAM, I got the offer fews weeks before traveling which I rejected.
I edited my CV to UK format and applied on job sites like indeed and LinkedIn. I got interviewed by some agencies and companies (I have one interview next Monday with a big pharm coy).
Each time I get interviewed the last question is do I need sponsorship my answer is always yes as suggested by hubby.
I’m just tired, he said sponsorship is the real deal
Is it possible to get sponsorship in my career line?
Do I take the care job as suggested by hubby?
Do I stop applying?

Hello Miidae,

This situation is a bit dicey. However, I will give my opinion coloured by my own experience as a laboratory personnel like your good-self. Many of the QA/QC roles do not like to sponsor. Once they get to know you will require sponsorship at any time, they will discontinue the conversation. They will usually accept your Nigerian experience if you are vast with analytical instrumentation and sound knowledge of GMP and GLP. But the major challenge is sponsorship.

It could be because many of them are not willing to pay up to 38k required for sponsorship except for managerial roles.

In my own case, I do not currently require sponsorship, so it was a bit easier for me. But again, never say never. I know of a former classmate who was able to secure a similar role with sponsorship, though it was before the current review of salary threshold for sponsorship.

If I were you, I will take up the care job but ignore the sponsorship at this time since you still have sufficient time on your visa while searching voraciously for QA/QC role with sponsorship.You might just be able to get something. As the current visa nears expiration, you might then take up the care sponsorship if you are unsuccessful with QA/QC. You might also spread your tentacles to food and other manufacturing sectors. Some of them do better than pharma companies for QA/QC roles. The principle of QC is same.

Don't worry much, you will be alright. All the best in your interview on Monday.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Wegetju: 7:44pm On Apr 21
Hi guys

I am preparing for DWP Case Review Executive Officer pre recorded video interview. Does anyone have any tips for me.
The competencies tested are Communicating and Influencing
Managing a Quality Service
Making Effective Decisions
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:18pm On Apr 21
Wegetju:
Hi guys

I am preparing for DWP Case Review Executive Officer pre recorded video interview. Does anyone have any tips for me.
The competencies tested are Communicating and Influencing
Managing a Quality Service
Making Effective Decisions

Just have 2 or three different solid answers (scenarios) for each of the competencies.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toolluu: 7:50am On Apr 22
Hi everyone, I’m currently on student visa having finished my MSc program in January but still have fees to pay. My husband has just got COS( not care) and current visa expires May 29. Will my inability to finish paying my fees affect my visa application? I have set up installmental payments for the remaining fees
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:05am On Apr 22
Rishi is really pushing this Rwanda drive........ No if's, not but's the Rwanda flights would take off, in 12 week's........ ✈️✈️✈️✈️😊

Let's wait and see...... 😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 11:12am On Apr 22
toolluu:
Hi everyone, I’m currently on student visa having finished my MSc program in January but still have fees to pay. My husband has just got COS( not care) and current visa expires May 29. Will my inability to finish paying my fees affect my visa application? I have set up installmental payments for the remaining fees

No!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Successpoint189: 11:44am On Apr 22
Free Webinar & E-Learning Training

Success Point Associate Ltd is thrilled to offer free webinar and e-learning training to all interested learners who wish to upgrade their skills and meet compliance requirements.

We provide courses for thousands of learners within and outside the United Kingdom. You can get a free webinar and e-learning training in the following sectors:
1. Health and Social Care
2. Education
3. Hospitality & Clinic
4. Retail
5. And all other sectors

All our courses are recognised and accredited by CPD and Skillsforcare. There are over 200 different online e-learning courses in a wide range of subjects covering compliance health and safety

The weekly registration ends every Wednesday. This opportunity is extended to learners within and outside the United Kingdom.

Kindly share with your friends and loved ones. Only few slots left.

For more clarification, feel free to contact:

📞: +44 7599133055 (Whatsapp only); ☎️: +44 2039893000
admin@successpointassociate.co.uk

Please see below available courses

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MelaninGemstone(f): 2:16pm On Apr 22
Guys. Please I need advise

I went to UK on a 3 weeks vacation
At the port of entry, I got stamped in

I returned to Nigeria on Friday and I’m just remembering now that I was not stamped out.

So now my passport has entry stamp but no exit stamp

I’m in Nigeria already and I’m devastated. Please what is the consequence of this mistake ? Will UK Immigration still think I’m in the UK when I’ve already left

Will it result to them thinking that I have overstayed my visa ? Please help 🥺🙏🏾
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 2:33pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:

I returned to Nigeria on Friday and I’m just remembering now that I was not stamped out.

I’m in Nigeria already and I’m devastated. Please what is the consequence of this mistake ? Will UK Immigration still think I’m in the UK when I’ve already left

Will it result to them thinking that I have overstayed my visa ? Please help 🥺🙏🏾

Dont fuss about it..keep your boarding pass that would serve as evidence of departure.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:43pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:

Think back, you had your passport scanned...... That scanning already captured all your data..... Nothing to worry about...... 👍✈️

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MelaninGemstone(f): 2:54pm On Apr 22
Lexusgs430:

Think back, you had your passport scanned...... That scanning already captured all your data..... Nothing to worry about...... 👍✈️
At what point please? I have a Nigerian passport, I don’t think there were scanners in Heathrow for Nigerian passports

All I remember scanning was my boarding pass to access the departure gates
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 2:56pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:

Stamp is the least of things that UK immigration will use to determine if you have left the country.

As long as you flew out on a plane your name would have been registered via the flight manifest. There’s nothing to worry about.

If it was that important they wouldn’t skip it. I can’t even remember if my passport was stamped each time I’ve left the country.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:58pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:
At what point please? I have a Nigerian passport, I don’t think there were scanners in Heathrow for Nigerian passports

Your passport was not scanned at the departure gate.......

At the point of boarding the aircraft........ That scanning at the flight departure gate, is linked to various departments.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:01pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:

I don't think the UK routinely stamps folks out on exit. I know I had encountered this when applying for ILR. I could see in and out stamp for Nigeria and some other places but not the UK. Dont have my passport closeby to confirm but I wouldn't be worried about this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:03pm On Apr 22
Goodenoch:

Stamp is the least of things that UK immigration will use to determine if you have left the country.

As long as you flew out on a plane your name would have been registered via the flight manifest. There’s nothing to worry about.

If it was that important they wouldn’t skip it. I can’t even remember if my passport was stamped each time I’ve left the country.

I think it's only UK that refuses to stamp passports, other countries would stamp you in and out .......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:55pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:

You usually have to scan your boarding pass before you can access the security checkpoint. That is linked to your Passport which has all your information. The UK does not stamp anyone existing the country. They only stamp for those entering the country.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by JaySterling: 4:28pm On Apr 22
Hey guys, when applying for UK tourist visa, can I submit only my six months personal savings bank statement showing my salary

I don’t want to submit my company bank statement as it has lots of unexplainable funds

Please can my personal savings account suffice for the visa application?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:34pm On Apr 22
JaySterling:
Hey guys, when applying for UK tourist visa, can I submit only my six months personal savings bank statement showing my salary

I don’t want to submit my company bank statement as it has lots of unexplainable funds

Please can my personal savings account suffice for the visa application?

Is EFCC aware........ 😁😜

How good are the figures in your savings, interpolating with your salary, lifestyle and expenses........ Would also help if you submitted your own personal current account (not unless your day 2 day funding, is executed from your savings account.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by JaySterling: 4:49pm On Apr 22
Lexusgs430:

Is EFCC aware........ 😁😜

How good are the figures in your savings, interpolating with your salary, lifestyle and expenses........ Would also help if you submitted your own personal current account (not unless your day 2 day funding, is executed from your savings account.........
Lol, wrong usage of words

The funds are explainable
Friends and relatives paid money into my company account to boost the account balance for a particular country visa application

But I can’t be telling the UK visa officer all this story
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by JaySterling: 4:50pm On Apr 22
Lexusgs430:

Is EFCC aware........ 😁😜

Please, what is a good monthly salary, a good opening balance and a good closing balance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 5:23pm On Apr 22
JaySterling:
Please, what is a good monthly salary, a good opening balance and a good closing balance

I would think that you, being in Nigeria now, should be the one to determine that. Find out how much flights cost, what the price of your intended accommodation will be, factor in roughly £50 per day for subsistence, etc. and work out a salary figure that shows you can afford it.

Use as a rough guide the assumption that a holiday shouldn't cost you more than a month's pay. That's what I used to use when filing for visas back then. Feel free to substitute your own assumptions as you see fit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:53pm On Apr 22
Cyberknight:

I would think that you, being in Nigeria now, should be the one to determine that. Find out how much flights cost, what the price of your intended accommodation will be, factor in roughly £50 per day for subsistence, etc. and work out a salary figure that shows you can afford it.

Use as a rough guide the assumption that a holiday shouldn't cost you more than a month's pay. That's what I used to use when filing for visas back then. Feel free to substitute your own assumptions as you see fit.

I could have not put it any better........

For example....... You can't justify to the visa officer, how you intend to spend 10 month's salary, on a 2 weeks holiday........ 😁

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by okposm: 7:06pm On Apr 22
JaySterling:

U are better off asking these questions in the visitor visa secrion. At the time i travelled i dont know if it is changed now. My budget was not more than two months disposable income. My accommodation and feeding was takien care by my host.

Your company account will serve as a tie to Nigeria and not be considered as part of incpme available to you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 8:43pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:

You don't get stamped out if you are leaving the UK or the US. They airline reports your movement to homeoffice

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MelaninGemstone(f): 8:49pm On Apr 22
heroshark:

You don't get stamped out if you are leaving the UK or the US. They airline reports your movement to homeoffice
All airlines report to the home office or only British-owned airlines?

I flew back to Nigeria with Turkish Airlines
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Babababy(m): 10:18pm On Apr 22
MelaninGemstone:

All airlines submit outbound manifest, the UK border control don't use exit stamps.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 6:22am On Apr 23
MelaninGemstone:

All Airlines. Before you board your flight from Nigeria, they already know you are coming and when you leave they know as well.

I think most developed countries don't stamp out passport on exit (except schengen countries). It's simply a waste of staff time and money.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:52am On Apr 23
toughest007:

Yea, I get your point. But from a curious perspective, running a taxi service on a fleet of MB (older models) begs to wonder how they are able to sustain their profit margin while at the same time compete with other taxi operators having fleet of vehicle as the type the OP is looking at buying.

They buy those Benz because luxurious cars are prioritized for Airport trips by the Taxi Company. A driver can earn more than £200 on a single Airport trip. 1 or 2 Airport trips and they can close for the day. So those other City journeys are just make-ups. While a Prius will have less chance of making such money.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) ... (538) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Akorkor(f), ReesheesuKnack, sammydoe, dustydee, giselle237, Goke7, kayuszee, DadR and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.