Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (527) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (466211 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) (530) ... (537) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 8:03am On Apr 23
miidae:
Good day everyone Please I need your honest advice My husband is on a student visa which will expire Sept 2025, he came in sept 2023 and I joined him 27th of March, 2024.
When I got here hubby said I shouldn’t bother looking for my job here because I won’t get sponsorship that he already has a care job for me (got my brp on Wednesday and awaiting NI)
I have over 7yrs of experience in QA/QC in pharma, my last roles was QAM, I got the offer fews weeks before traveling which I rejected.
I edited my CV to UK format and applied on job sites like indeed and LinkedIn. I got interviewed by some agencies and companies (I have one interview next Monday with a big pharm coy).
Each time I get interviewed the last question is do I need sponsorship my answer is always yes as suggested by hubby.
I’m just tired, he said sponsorship is the real deal
Is it possible to get sponsorship in my career line?
Do I take the care job as suggested by hubby?
Do I stop applying?

In addition to the numerous contributions, you can consider answering "no" to the sponsorship question and see if it helps you land a role. You can use the role to break into the UK market and move to another Company afterwards or even request for a sponsorship after 6 months of probing your worth. In the meantime, you stay on PSW Visa.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mizGene(f): 8:40am On Apr 23
Solumtoya:

In addition to the numerous contributions, you can consider answering "no" to the sponsorship question and see if it helps you land a role. You can use the role to break into the UK market and move to another Company afterwards or even request for a sponsorship after 6 months of probing your worth. In the meantime, you stay on PSW Visa.

Poster this is what you should do. It is exactly what the PSW is for. Nothing gives you advantage like UK experience. Once you have 6 to 12 months experience, if you know your Onions, it becomes so much easier to get another job.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by corpershun: 2:50am On Apr 24
I know I only come here once in a while but cheers to everyone that shares important information on this thread. You are treasured!

Any data professional in the building, would love to connect. Plus is there a thread or even forum network for Black Data professionals in the UK?

I have recently ported from project management to a core data quality role (did MSc.data science) so need to overcome my imposter syndrome and be confident in my dealings with ‘onyibo’ and colleagues.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 3:15am On Apr 24
Hello elders in the house, please what's an affordable and reliable way I can send a small package like documents from Naija to the UK?

Thanks in Advance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Kellyd2: 7:18am On Apr 24
Hi guys, I’m looking for a room in Ottley Leeds. Just for one female. Your help will be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 7:31am On Apr 24
Kellyd2:
Hi guys, I’m looking for a room in Ottley Leeds. Just for one female. Your help will be appreciated.
Check https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=1292263699&
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Kellyd2: 11:52am On Apr 24

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 3:35pm On Apr 24
corpershun:
I know I only come here once in a while but cheers to everyone that shares important information on this thread. You are treasured!

Any data professional in the building, would love to connect. Plus is there a thread or even forum network for Black Data professionals in the UK?

I have recently ported from project management to a core data quality role (did MSc.data science) so need to overcome my imposter syndrome and be confident in my dealings with ‘onyibo’ and colleagues.

Dm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:26pm On Apr 24
I remember when the Ireland trend was discussed on this thread. Thankfully some posters cautioned against it, because this route has "casted" like so many others involving Nigerians. Below is an update from the Irish government:

More than 80 per cent of people applying for asylum in Ireland are coming from the UK over the land Border with Northern Ireland, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has estimated.

The Department believes that the overwhelming majority of those are coming from the UK and across the land Border. The Government believes that a significant number of Nigerians are coming via this route. There has been a spike in applications from that country.

Cabinet agreed that IP applicants from this country will be subject to an accelerated processing regime from Tuesday.

Ms McEntee, who said that the new pact would mean that people will spend “less time in State-provided accommodation and ultimately are more likely to be returned to their country of origin”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/04/23/80-of-asylum-applications-to-be-processed-within-three-months-under-new-eu-rules/

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:27pm On Apr 24
I'm not sure who advised these people that this was a good idea, because now Nigeria has been targeted for faster processing, which
means majority of applications will be decided quickly and likely refused.

----------------

The Cabinet will discuss introducing urgent measures to tighten up the migration system on Tuesday in response to a dramatic spike in the number of international protection applicants who have arrived in Ireland during 2024.

A total of 6,069 people sought asylum between January 1st and April 12th, an increase of almost 80 per cent on numbers from the comparable period for 2023. A third of all applicants, 2,053, are citizens of one country, Nigeria. The number of Nigerian applications so far in 2024 is now equal to the total number of asylum seekers from there for the whole of 2023.

There is concern within the Coalition that the numbers will continue to spiral upwards, with particular concern about the number of Nigerian applicants. Sources said the majority of those seemed to be coming from Britain, and from other secondary countries, as there are no direct flights between Nigeria and Ireland.

In the fortnight between March 28th and April 12th, there were almost 1,000 new applications, with 400 of them from Nigeria. Last week, the chair of the Public Accounts Committee, Brian Stanley, and Aontú leader Peadar Tóibín, separately predicted the total number of people seeking international protection could surpass 20,000 in 2024 if the current trajectory were to continue.

Ms McEntee will tell colleagues she intends to introduce accelerated processing for the country with the highest number of applications in the previous three months, if it is not a safe country. If that is agreed by the Cabinet on Tuesday, it will apply to applicants from Nigeria, which is not classified as a safe country of origin.

Ms McEntee said on Sunday: “Fast processing works. It gives protection really quickly to those who have a case, while those who don’t are clearly beginning to see that risking a refusal and a deportation order is not worth it.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 8:13pm On Apr 24
Solumtoya:

They buy those Benz because luxurious cars are prioritized for Airport trips by the Taxi Company. A driver can earn more than £200 on a single Airport trip. 1 or 2 Airport trips and they can close for the day. So those other City journeys are just make-ups. While a Prius will have less chance of making such money.

Not all taxi companies run airport service, and the few that run their local service within specific and preferred towns, especially around where I reside do this with Benz. This is from personal experience.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 9:32pm On Apr 24
Please who has more detailed experience about zero deposit here. Senior tenants or retired tenants. Landlords or senior owner of land
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:49pm On Apr 24
If you have plans to buy Samsung galaxy S24. This is a good time to buy. You get Samsung tab s6 lite for free if you buy before April 30th. The tab is worth £349.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 9:55pm On Apr 24
Viruses:
If you have plans to buy Samsung galaxy S4. This is a good time to buy. You get Samsung tab s6 lite for free if you buy before April 30th. The tab is worth £349.
Why would anyone buy a galaxy S4?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by corpershun: 10:27pm On Apr 24
elengine:
Please who has more detailed experience about zero deposit here. Senior tenants or retired tenants. Landlords or senior owner of land

If you are citizen or have ILR it’s doable. Il advise you reach out to mortgage advisors. Most of them will give you this advice for free and you will get more information and ESIS - like mortgage illustration. I got free advice by registering on Taylor’s website. Got all my calculations done and application for Mortgage in principle too.

Infact, I only just found out that Barclays is like the only bank that lends to individuals on Tier2 visa with 10% deposit. The others want at least 25% deposit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by okposm: 10:34pm On Apr 24
MelaninGemstone:
Guys. Please I need advise

I went to UK on a 3 weeks vacation
At the port of entry, I got stamped in

I returned to Nigeria on Friday and I’m just remembering now that I was not stamped out.

So now my passport has entry stamp but no exit stamp

I’m in Nigeria already and I’m devastated. Please what is the consequence of this mistake ? Will UK Immigration still think I’m in the UK when I’ve already left

Will it result to them thinking that I have overstayed my visa ? Please help 🥺🙏🏾

They dont stamp people out again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:46pm On Apr 24
dustydee:

Why would anyone buy a galaxy S4?

I meant to type S24. I have modified.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:58am On Apr 25
Zahra29:
I'm not sure who advised these people that this was a good idea, because now Nigeria has been targeted for faster processing, which
means majority of applications will be decided quickly and likely refused.

----------------

The Cabinet will discuss introducing urgent measures to tighten up the migration system on Tuesday in response to a dramatic spike in the number of international protection applicants who have arrived in Ireland during 2024.

A total of 6,069 people sought asylum between January 1st and April 12th, an increase of almost 80 per cent on numbers from the comparable period for 2023. A third of all applicants, 2,053, are citizens of one country, Nigeria. The number of Nigerian applications so far in 2024 is now equal to the total number of asylum seekers from there for the whole of 2023.

There is concern within the Coalition that the numbers will continue to spiral upwards, with particular concern about the number of Nigerian applicants. Sources said the majority of those seemed to be coming from Britain, and from other secondary countries, as there are no direct flights between Nigeria and Ireland.

In the fortnight between March 28th and April 12th, there were almost 1,000 new applications, with 400 of them from Nigeria. Last week, the chair of the Public Accounts Committee, Brian Stanley, and Aontú leader Peadar Tóibín, separately predicted the total number of people seeking international protection could surpass 20,000 in 2024 if the current trajectory were to continue.

Ms McEntee will tell colleagues she intends to introduce accelerated processing for the country with the highest number of applications in the previous three months, if it is not a safe country. If that is agreed by the Cabinet on Tuesday, it will apply to applicants from Nigeria, which is not classified as a safe country of origin.

Ms McEntee said on Sunday: “Fast processing works. It gives protection really quickly to those who have a case, while those who don’t are clearly beginning to see that risking a refusal and a deportation order is not worth it.

Nigerians, we are a very special set of people. Our ways ehn... May God continue to help us.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:19am On Apr 25
ehizario2012:

Nigerians, we are a very special set of people. Our ways ehn... May God continue to help us.

Lord Lugard is right 😂😭
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:21am On Apr 25
Kindly drop job application hacks. Unfortunately wan blind me 😭
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:53am On Apr 25
ehizario2012:

I wonder why any negative media coverage mentioning Nigeria is another avenue to denigrate ourselves. As recent as last year, Albanians (a European nation) were trooping to the UK en masse. Would we also call them 'special'?
Significantly more Indians claim assylum in the UK than Nigerians (even adjusted for population) - does that make them them more 'special'.

Nigeria is unlivable for many. Let the countries they are claiming assylum to decide the cases on their merit not we using it an an avenue to look down on yourselves. Migration is as old as man. Most of the developing world opened their doors (voluntarily or involuntarily) to the western world at different times. I don't see westerners going around apologising for that.
We should have some self worth.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:59am On Apr 25
jedisco:

I wonder why any negative media coverage mentioning Nigeria is another avenue to denigrate ourselves. As recent as last year, Albanians (a European nation) were trooping to the UK en masse. Would we also call them 'special'?
Significantly more Indians claim assylum in the UK than Nigerians (even adjusted for population) - does that make them them more 'special'.

Nigeria is unlivable for many. Let the countries they are claiming assylum to decide the cases on their merit not we using it an an avenue to look down on yourselves. Migration is as old as man. Most of the developing world opened their doors (voluntarily or involuntarily) to the western world at different times. I don't see westerners going around apologising for that.

It's not "negative" media coverage - they are highlighting facts based on their data, and discussing actions they plan to take to stop a rising trend. The issue they've flagged is that these IP (asylum) claimants are coming from "liveable" Britain and not from "unliveable" Nigeria. What merit do you think these cases will have? It's pretty much the same scenario as the boat crossers coming to Britain from Europe - how are the boat crossers regarded on this thread and outside? Do people not look down on them and question why they didn't remain in safe/liveable Europe?

I'm not sure it's wise to compare Nigerians to Albanians - the latter have an extremely poor image and as quickly as they were trooping to European nations en masse, the European nations were returning them back to Albania in the same numbers, the UK even making a "special" deal with the Albanian government to stop their citizens from coming to the UK. Look up the acceptance rate for Albanians versus Iranians for example.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:36am On Apr 25
jedisco:

@Zahra put her response to this succinctly.

It's about facts and figures, not sentiments. When ⅓ of asylum requests come from one single country, and from the UK land border, definitely eyebrows would be raised...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 7:44am On Apr 25
@Zahra29 If someone got a skilled worker visa before changes made in April, will they be subjected to going rate of the new job if they are changing sponsor? The new job is different from what they are doing at the moment but same salary range. Both jobs are in IT
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:36am On Apr 25
babajeje123:
@Zahra29 If someone got a skilled worker visa before changes made in April, will they be subjected to going rate of the new job if they are changing sponsor? The new job is different from what they are doing at the moment but same salary range. Both jobs are in IT

Morning Babajeje, no - they won't be subject to the new threshold or the higher going rate.

They'll only have to meet the old threshold (now £29k) or the lower occupation going rate - whichever is higher.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 8:37am On Apr 25
Zahra29:

Morning Babajeje, no - they won't be subject to the new threshold or the higher going rate.

They'll only have to meet the old threshold (now £29k) or the lower occupation going rate - whichever is higher.
Great, thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 10:34am On Apr 25
Zahra29:
I remember when the Ireland trend was discussed on this thread. Thankfully some posters cautioned against it, because this route has "casted" like so many others involving Nigerians. Below is an update from the Irish government:

More than 80 per cent of people applying for asylum in Ireland are coming from the UK over the land Border with Northern Ireland, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has estimated.

The Department believes that the overwhelming majority of those are coming from the UK and across the land Border. The Government believes that a significant number of Nigerians are coming via this route. There has been a spike in applications from that country.

Cabinet agreed that IP applicants from this country will be subject to an accelerated processing regime from Tuesday.

Ms McEntee, who said that the new pact would mean that people will spend “less time in State-provided accommodation and ultimately are more likely to be returned to their country of origin”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/04/23/80-of-asylum-applications-to-be-processed-within-three-months-under-new-eu-rules/
why though? Are they trooping to Ireland to somehow shield themselves from the sliding tackle that home-office delivered by way of the tightened immigration rules?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 11:05am On Apr 25
Treadway:
why though? Are they trooping to Ireland to somehow shield themselves from the sliding tackle that home-office delivered by way of the tightened immigration rules?

Exactly, the trend started last year. Even heard about a few on student visas who couldn't meet up with fees that crossed over to Ireland

It's a pity people just jump and act on every information.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by TheUnburnt: 3:54pm On Apr 25
Please I recently got a domestic assistant (cleaner) job in the NHS but I want to switch to care assistant in the same NHS.
Is it possible? Please someone should enlighten me. Thanks 🙏
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 4:46pm On Apr 25
TheUnburnt:
Please I recently got a domestic assistant (cleaner) job in the NHS but I want to switch to care assistant in the same NHS.

The question is:
Is there a vacancy?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BeeNL: 5:33pm On Apr 25
Hello people. Please, what is the best (and most cost effective) way of transferring money from a (Nigerian) GTB dorm account to a UK online bank account (Revolut) or any other recommended one? We are new here and are having issues transferring funds please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by seunoj: 6:29pm On Apr 25
TheUnburnt:

It is possible.
Package and develop yourself. Opening will always come.

(1) (2) (3) ... (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) (530) ... (537) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Uk2020, ooty, Lexusgs430 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.