Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,941 members, 7,838,350 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (548) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (501240 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) ... (564) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adekzy: 12:40am On May 13
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:17am On May 13
So much for “UK has free healthcare” whenever people mention relocating to the US. 💀
fatima04:
Love the conversations going on in the past few pages without any drama grin .

With the current state of NHS, please if you can afford private health care, do it for yourself and family.

We have been on the waiting list for a tonsillectomy for our baby for weeks now and apparently we have 1 more year to go.

There is just no way to fast track, despite the urgency of his situation 😕 😢

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:03am On May 13
Thewritingnerd:
So much for “UK has free healthcare” whenever people mention relocating to the US. 💀

Lol, experience is the best teacher as they say...

Would advise anyone dreaming of the US to hurry and relocate in the next few months before Trump gets in and blocks/restricts certain countries again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by GraceofGod100: 11:16am On May 13
babajeje123:

Hope you submitted the job advert, your invite for the interview, the offer letter and every single document that would proof that the issued COS was on merit and not bought. I wish you a very successful outcome.

Yes we did.... Thanks so much for your help...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 12:15pm On May 13
Zahra29:

Lol, experience is the best teacher as they say...

Would advise anyone dreaming of the US to hurry and relocate in the next few months before Trump gets in and blocks/restricts certain countries again.

I’ve experienced both. Healthcare in the US is elite and premium but the billing is also premium. Pray that whatever you do, you never fall seriously ill in the US or require intensive care without insurance. Your own is all over.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:44pm On May 13
Mamatukwas:

I’ve experienced both. Healthcare in the US is elite and premium but the billing is also premium. Pray that whatever you do, you never fall seriously ill in the US or require intensive care without insurance. Your own is all over.

The biggest cause of bankruptcy in the USA, is healthcare (our people that love data)..... Over to you .......😁🤣

My cousin had a stroke in the US 2 years ago, when his insurance premiums ran out, his friends shipped him back to Nigeria (his family kept this a secret)........

He died in Nigeria about 13 months ago ........ Be very careful what you ask for.......

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:09pm On May 13
Mamatukwas:

Thank you Mamatukwas..

Even with good insurance, a serious illness like cancer can easily bankrupt an average family, and as many insurance policies are tied to an employer, if someone loses their job e.g. due to a long illness, they and sometimes their family members will no longer have health cover.

Some treatments are not covered by insurance or there is a limit the insurer will pay out. Meanwhile the NHS will never charge- even if an individual is on regular (expensive )treatment and medication for years. Their own drugs cost them more than we pay here - something Trump was mad about and wanted to change. The number of Americans who are envious of our NHS and the health system in Europe >>>

No system is perfect, so for those who love to complain ,I simply encourage them to relocate asap to the US. Less pressure on the NHS lol

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 3:26pm On May 13
NUMBER OF SELF-EMPLOYED

So I currently work for a Company. I also have a self-employed role to lecture/tutor. Now I have an offer to consult for a Law Services firm on a self-employed basis too.

Is there a limit on the number of self-employed roles here?

Please note I am on a Student dependant visa.

I know I have to register separate businesses and pay taxes for additional self-employed roles. Asides that any restriction?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 3:27pm On May 13
Zahra29:

Thank you Mamatukwas..

Even with good insurance, a serious illness like cancer can easily bankrupt an average family, and as many insurance policies are tied to an employer, if someone loses their job e.g. due to a long illness, they and sometimes their family members will no longer have health cover.

Some treatments are not covered by insurance or there is a limit the insurer will pay out. Meanwhile the NHS will never charge- even if an individual is on regular (expensive )treatment and medication for years. Their own drugs cost them more than we pay here - something Trump was mad about and wanted to change. The number of Americans who are envious of our NHS and the health system in Europe >>>

No system is perfect, so for those who love to complain ,I simply encourage them to relocate asap to the US. Less pressure on the NHS lol

Fair point about the US healthcare. However, the NHS can be better and needs to do improve badly. This is not a race to the bottom argument. 12hrs in A&E is embarrassing ! Even with private insurance, some medicare like emergencies are best handled with NHS. No wonder some immigrants be disillusioned by the Medicare in this country compared to private treatment in Naija. Lots of people are travelling to Naija for urgent treatment rather than wait for 2yrs+ on waiting list.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:35pm On May 13
Jamesclooney:

Fair point about the US healthcare. However, the NHS can be better and needs to do improve badly. This is not a race to the bottom argument. 12hrs in A&E is embarrassing ! Even with private insurance, some medicare like emergencies are best handled with NHS. No wonder some immigrants be disillusioned by the Medicare in this country compared to private treatment in Naija. Lots of people are travelling to Naija for [[b]urgent treatment [/b]rather than wait for 2yrs+ on waiting list.

The bolded is one of the reasons the Tories will lose the election - because many people remember how much better the NHS was 15/20 years ago before the Tories came in and started defunding public services.

One of Labour's key pledges is to improve/transform the NHS ,including waiting lists, so no-one is saying we settle for things remaining as they are.

Cases are usually triaged and urgent/life threatening cases (and minors) are not left waiting in A&E or on 2 year waiting lists. Anyone here been diagnosed with cancer or diabetes or hepatitis or sickle cell or heart disease etc etc and had to wait 2 years to start treatment?

The NHS isn't perfect, I completely agree, and there is an element of post code lottery that determines the quality of treatment some areas receive, which isn't fair.

However, on the whole it is very good considering the limited resources and increasing pressures it is faced with.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:46pm On May 13
EPEAKS:
NUMBER OF SELF-EMPLOYED

So I currently work for a Company. I also have a self-employed role to lecture/tutor. Now I have an offer to consult for a Law Services firm on a self-employed basis too.

Is there a limit on the number of self-employed roles here?

Please note I am on a Student dependant visa.

I know I have to register separate businesses and pay taxes for additional self-employed roles. Asides that any restriction?

No. As long as you're declaring your income and paying taxes etc, you're good to go.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:12pm On May 13
Zahra29:

The bolded is one of the reasons the Tories will lose the election - because many people remember how much better the NHS was 15/20 years ago before the Tories came in and started defunding public services.

One of Labour's key pledges is to improve/transform the NHS ,including waiting lists, so no-one is saying we settle for things remaining as they are.

Cases are usually triaged and urgent/life threatening cases (and minors) are not left waiting in A&E or on 2 year waiting lists. Anyone here been diagnosed with cancer or diabetes or hepatitis or sickle cell or heart disease etc etc and had to wait 2 years to start treatment?

The NHS isn't perfect, I completely agree, and there is an element of post code lottery that determines the quality of treatment some areas receive, which isn't fair.

However, on the whole it is very good considering the limited resources and increasing pressures it is faced with.

Which party setup the NHS with all this expensive unproductive contracts.......

You got it right...... It was labour (under TB).........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 5:44pm On May 13
Zahra29:

Urgent care to me is different from what it means to you or NHS staff. I’ve seen live examples in A&E: people bloodied and in pain and waiting to be called for 12hrs+. I don’t care what triage system is in place, but that’s simply not good enough as a patient. I have never experienced that in all my years. It’s until you feign like you’re dying before they attend to you, that’s rubbish. Even 111 calls, you need to lie that the person is not breathing to get the urgency you deserve. The system has totally failed in my book. There’s no pussyfooting about it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:10pm On May 13
Lexusgs430:

Which party setup the NHS with all this expensive unproductive contracts.......

You got it right...... It was labour (under TB).........

Lol Tony also landed us with all these polytechnics turned universities that we're now struggling to support.

Agreed, the NHS definitely needs reform, I saw an article the other day on how much a particular agency charges the NHS for oneagency nurse especially on public holidays. It was something like 2k or more per shift (obviously most of it going to the agency). These and other wastes in the system need to be looked into for the NHS to run more efficiently.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:18pm On May 13
Jamesclooney:

Urgent care to me is different from what it means to you or NHS staff. I’ve seen live examples in A&E: people bloodied and in pain and waiting to be called for 12hrs+. I don’t care what triage system is in place, but that’s simply not good enough as a patient. I have never experienced that in all my years. It’s until you feign like you’re dying before they attend to you, that’s rubbish. Even 111 calls, you need to lie that the person is not breathing to get the urgency you deserve. The system has totally failed in my book. There’s no pussyfooting about it.

You didn't address the questions in my earlier post, but in any case everyone is entitled to their view.

While I agree that the system needs reform, and urgently in some areas, I don't agree that it has "totally failed". You compare the NHS to Nigeria that has the 3rd highest maternal death ratio in the world (behind Chad and Sudan)..... anyways everyone is entitled to their own opinion lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Strata1716: 6:30pm On May 13
Strata1716:
Hello everyone
At this point I’m beginning to think I am cursed or something as I am so confused and saddened.

I currently work as a band 5 in the NHS and after 4 months of hard work and rejections looking for a sponsored role, I got a band 7 offer project manager role. I noticed my contract said fixed so I messaged the HR asking why my contract isn’t permanent. I assumed I would be sponsored but I never brought this up with anyone. I got this response “
We can only offer you a fixed-term contract as you have an expiry date on your visa, once your visa expires you will need to give HR your new visa information and your contract will be renewed to the next expiry date on your visa, this will happen until you have permanent right to work in the UK”.

I have not asked them anything about sponsorship but the response has completely shattered me as I would be moving to another town for this role, my current job contract expires in August and I’ve been told renewal is possible.

I am confused on the next step of action to take, do I try to ask for sponsorship and risk the offer being withdrawn or do I accept the fixed term and risk not giving me myself enough time to look for a sponsored role. My visa expires next year November .

I really need help so I don’t make the wrong choice.

Cc
Lexusgs430
Babajeje123
Zahra29
giselle237
Dustydee
Lavida001

Hello everyone, thank you so much for encouraging me to ask for sponsorship and other advise given. I spoke to the HR about sponsorship and I got the email response below, my only question now is what do they mean by “to confirm if we can proceed” does this mean there is still no confirmation on the sponsorship or is this about the timeline . I just blurred out the name of my manager, also does anyone know why it was my manager who had to decide whether or not to sponsor me, is this common practice in the NHS ?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Babajeje123
Zahra29
giselle237
Dustydee
Lavida001

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:41pm On May 13
Strata1716:

Hello everyone, thank you so much for encouraging me to ask for sponsorship and other advise given. I spoke to the HR about sponsorship and I got the email response below, my only question now is what do they mean by “to confirm if we can proceed” does this mean there is still no confirmation on the sponsorship or is this about the timeline . I just blurred out the name of my manager, also does anyone know why it was my manager who had to decide whether or not to sponsor me, is this common practice in the NHS ?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Babajeje123
Zahra29
giselle237
Dustydee
Lavida001

That's amazing news - congratulations 🎉

I wouldn't worry - I'm sure the confirmation is just a compliance/tick boxing exercise but it sounds like a done deal. The timeline was stated - they will start the sponsorship process soon as your pre-employment checks are complete.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:43pm On May 13
Zahra29:

Lol Tony also landed us with all these polytechnics turned universities that we're now struggling to support.

Agreed, the NHS definitely needs reform, I saw an article the other day on how much a particular agency charges the NHS for oneagency nurse especially on public holidays. It was something like 2k or more per shift (obviously most of it going to the agency). These and other wastes in the system need to be looked into for the NHS to run more efficiently.

So in essence, the party that took your day, cannot promise you night.......... 😊🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 6:56pm On May 13
Zahra29:

You didn't address the questions in my earlier post, but in any case everyone is entitled to their view.

While I agree that the system needs reform, and urgently in some areas, I don't agree that it has "totally failed". You compare the NHS to Nigeria that has the 3rd highest maternal death ratio in the world (behind Chad and Sudan)..... anyways everyone is entitled to their own opinion lol

I don’t care about the general statistics or trends. I’m telling you my lived experience. People are literally going to Naija for their Medicare needs but hey, Nigeria has 3rd highest maternal death ratio. Who cares? It’s akin to someone in London telling you about the risk of knife/violent crime and feeling safer in certain parts of Nigeria (e.g Lekki), and you throw back stats that bandits and unknown gunmen are in Nigeria. That’s not the point. Just saying NHS is a hot mess for a so called first world country. Some medicare is actually better in Nigeria atm, and that’s a fact!

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:03pm On May 13
Lexusgs430:

So in essence, the party that took your day, cannot promise you night.......... 😊🤣

Lol you and your adages 🙈

We have to keep hope alive innit lol and Sir Keir keeps reassuring us that they are New New Labour (Tony's Labour was only New Labour lol) so let's wait and see...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:06pm On May 13
Jamesclooney:

I don’t care about the general statistics or trends. I’m telling you my lived experience. People are literally going to Naija for their Medicare needs but hey, Nigeria has 3rd highest maternal death ratio. Who cares? It’s akin to some in London telling you about the risk of knife/violent crime and feeling safer in certain parts of Nigeria (e.g Lekki), and you throw back stats that bandits and unknown gunmen are in Nigeria. That’s not the point. Just saying NHS is a hot mess for a so called first world country. Some medicare is actually better in Nigeria atm, and that’s a fact!

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and fortunately you have a Nigerian passport and can fly over there to enjoy the premium health services on offer whenever the NHS fails to impress you. Lucky you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:34pm On May 13
Nostalgia time grin

Used this at Bendel State University Staff School (BENSU) Ekpoma.

Talk your own wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:04pm On May 13
Zahra29:

Lol you and your adages 🙈

We have to keep hope alive innit lol and Sir Keir keeps reassuring us that they are New New Labour (Tony's Labour was only New Labour lol) so let's wait and see...

I remain optimistic, but not deluded.......😂🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:06pm On May 13
Jamesclooney:

I don’t care about the general statistics or trends. I’m telling you my lived experience. People are literally going to Naija for their Medicare needs but hey, Nigeria has 3rd highest maternal death ratio. Who cares? It’s akin to some in London telling you about the risk of knife/violent crime and feeling safer in certain parts of Nigeria (e.g Lekki), and you throw back stats that bandits and unknown gunmen are in Nigeria. That’s not the point. Just saying NHS is a hot mess for a so called first world country. Some medicare is actually better in Nigeria atm, and that’s a fact!

You're comparing strawberries with agbalumo........

Those returning to Nigeria for Medicare, do they end up in the public health service sector or private sector.......😁

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 8:27pm On May 13
Jamesclooney:

NHS is not perfect but it is not a 'hot mess'. Someone had already explained patients flow in the ED.
The resources are limited, so, those with life threatening problems get seen first. That is called justice in medical ethics.
I am an acute medicine registrar in the NHS. I get bleeped from ED from time to time. I assess the situation there and then and I don't delay patient's care. No reasonable doctor will do this as there are systems to keep track of things. I have been involved is 2 national benchmarking audits. SAMBA audit, June 2023 and February 2024.
I am not aware of any trust where patients are kept waiting for over 12 hours without getting any form of care or plan in place.
Yes, the NHS needs funding to improve its services. It's a blessing to the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:42pm On May 13
EJIOGBENIMI:

NHS is not perfect but it is not a 'hot mess'. Someone had already explained patients flow in the ED.
The resources are limited, so, those with life threatening problems get seen first. That is called justice in medical ethics.
I am an acute medicine registrar in the NHS. I get bleeped from ED from time to time. I assess the situation there and then and I don't delay patient's care. No reasonable doctor will do this as there are systems to keep track of things. I have been involved is 2 national benchmarking audits. SAMBA audit, June 2023 and February 2024.
I am not aware of any trust where patients are kept waiting for over 12 hours without getting any form of care or plan in place.

Thank you Dr. Well said...

And I'm assuming when you attend to a patient in ED, you don't ask for their medical insurance details or to produce a police report before deciding whether to treat them and what to charge them for the emergency treatment. Which is what happens in certain countries, and yet the NHS is a "total failure".

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:54pm On May 13
EJIOGBENIMI:

People don't seem to appreciate the beauty of the NHS .......... When and if NHS adopts the American model, maybe people would appreciate the NHS for what it is worth ........

Some people that seem to criticise the NHS, contribute in the massive abuse within the
sector.......... We leave this discussion for another day.....😂😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:57pm On May 13
Zahra29:

Thank you Dr. Well said...

And I'm assuming when you attend to a patient in ED, you don't ask for their medical insurance details or to produce a police report before deciding whether to treat them and what to charge them for the emergency treatment. Which is what happens in certain countries, and yet the NHS is a "total failure".

Dr's are not employees of the UK border force...... Once the patient is out of any critical medical emergency, hospital managers can conduct border force roles .......😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 9:14pm On May 13
Zahra29:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and fortunately you have a Nigerian passport and can fly over there to enjoy the premium health services on offer whenever the NHS fails to impress you. Lucky you.

It’s not just my opinion, these are cold hard facts. It’s not failure to impress me, its inability to access basic medical care because your case is “not bad” enough. Let’s call a spade a spade. If this was happening in Naija or another developing country, we will call it out and not hide our head in the sands. Part of the reason I’m complaining is because I knew what it was (and what it can potentially be). I have personally spent time in A&E from 2pm to 10pm. They’re reports on waiting times across NHS trusts and the trend is bad, very bad. Piers Morgan even called out Rishi Sunak during his last interview with him. Why can’t we do the same? It’s a mess, makes no sense to defend the indefensible because “Naija healthcare system is bad”. It’s not a competition of what’s better than Naija, if that’s the case, then Rwanda or other African countries are better. My point, which is what the OP was saying is have your backup plan if you think NHS is all that, God forbid you’ll need them and they fail you. Then you’ll either go private or book a flight abroad. Let’s not even talk about dental care. SMH

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 9:20pm On May 13
Jamesclooney:

It’s not just my opinion, these are cold hard facts. It’s not failure to impress me, its inability to access basic medical care because your case is “not bad” enough. Let’s call a spade a spade. If this was happening in Naija or another developing country, we will call it out and not hide our head in the sands. Part of the reason I’m complaining is because I knew what it was (and what it can potentially be). I have personally spent time in A&E from 2pm to 10pm. They’re reports on waiting times across NHS trusts and the trend is bad, very bad. Piers Morgan even called out Rishi Sunak during his last interview with him. Why can’t we do the same? It’s a mess, makes no sense to defend the indefensible because “Naija healthcare system is bad”. It’s not a competition of what’s better than Naija, if that’s the case, then Rwanda or other African countries are better. My point, which is what the OP was saying is have your backup plan if you think NHS is all that, God forbid you’ll need them and they fail you. Then you’ll either go private or book a flight abroad. Let’s not even talk about dental care. SMH

If you spent 2PM to 10PM waiting for medical assistance in an A & E and you're still alive to write about it today, it proves the point that your case wasn't an emergency, and that the HCPs were right to prioritise other patients over you following their triage.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 9:21pm On May 13
Lexusgs430:

You're comparing strawberries with agbalumo........

Those returning to Nigeria for Medicare, do they end up in the public health service sector or private sector.......😁

That’s not the point sir! I don’t care about public or private system. What was available to me in Nigeria vs what is available to me now? This was what led to the debate on Twitter on healthcare systems. Lord knows, where I will want to be if I need dental care for example. Or the kid I saw that sprained his ankle in school and was in A&E for hours on end. Even paracetamol they didn’t give this boy. Almighty “triage” didn’t prioritize the schoolboy even with the swollen leg for many hours. I know where I’ll rather be if I was the injured school boy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 9:27pm On May 13
EJIOGBENIMI:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13258925/amp/casualty-waits-NHS-dire-deaths-study.html

Worsening A&E waits mean a quarter of patients seeking emergency care now face 12-hour delays at England's busiest hospitals.

It comes after a shocking study today suggested dire waits in A&E for hospital beds caused more than 250 needless deaths a week last year, with patients forced to wait in crowded rooms and corridors or on trolleys.

(1) (2) (3) ... (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) ... (564) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.