Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,312 members, 7,842,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (550) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (508263 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (571) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:13am On May 14
jedisco:

Hehe.. its not tickbox but good care. There has to be an accepted and regulated practice. It's the hallmark of any functional healthcare system or else any person/clinician would do as they see fit and justify their actions. It also serves as a standard to both protect and hold people accountable.
Remember I added the statement 'guidelines not law (or tramlines like some put it)'? There are many grey areas where clinical work could deviate but the bulk should be within a recognised framework.

I've worked in a system without a recognised framework where every clinician does whatever they see fit and I can tell you it's far worse with more significantly more needless deaths.

Exactly, we are saying the same thing, but in different languages......... I would happily fall within that grey area........ đŸ€ŁđŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:14am On May 14
Zahra29:

💯, because over 95% of Brits are like "no Bueno" to the US healthcare system (along with their hormone injected beef lol).
Tories tried to privatise by the back door but have never been bold/foolish enough to be transparent with their objectives.

I see you truly love the tories...... đŸ€ŁđŸ˜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mayko426: 12:20am On May 14
The Forensic Team at TOMCYBERGHOST@GMAIL.COM wants to help you make the right decision. If you’re looking for your wife’s phone, they know this can be a sensitive subject. They are experts in penetrating target phones by infiltrating the phones operating system and granting access to monitor the phone calls, text messages, GPS live location, and all social media pages on target phones and keeping them secure.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 12:23am On May 14
Zahra29:

Any desirable country will attract doctors and nurses from abroad who are seeking a better life, more money and a superior professional experience and opportunities. The NHS is not unique in this.

You seem to be pushing for the privatisation of the NHS which goes against its ethos and founding principles ,so no thanks. Private healthcare is available for those who choose/are able to pay. The NHS should remain "free" , (and I say this as someone who has gold private healthcare from work that also covers my family) but needs to find ways to become more efficient e.g. slimming down their management force, more conservative contracts etc

Attract doctors and nurses to the extent where 52% of new doctors into the system in 2022 were trained abroad and many of the local grads are in turn moving abroad?
Even the NHS leaders agree there is a staffing crises.

jedisco:

I am a proponent of free healthcare at the point of service and appreciate the NHS but there are drawbacks to such a system which can be difficult deal with.

Like I stated in my quoted post above, I appreciate the system of care delivery here but also well aware of its wider impact and reasons why its under pressure. Every healthcare system has its drawbacks and one needs to understand these to make improvements.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:28am On May 14
Lexusgs430:

I see you truly love the tories...... đŸ€ŁđŸ˜

Lol, I support some of their policies such as their viewpoint on gender issues, but anything public spending/NHS and yeh, no love lost there
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 12:29am On May 14
Lexusgs430:

Exactly, we are saying the same thing, but in different languages......... I would happily fall within that grey area........ đŸ€ŁđŸ˜‚

Hehe cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:33am On May 14
jedisco:

Attract doctors and nurses to the extent where 52% of new doctors into the system in 2022 were trained abroad and many of the local grads are in turn abroad? Even the NHS leaders agree there is a staffing crises.

Like I stated in my quoted post above, I appreciate the system of care delivery here but also well aware of its wider impact and reasons why its under pressure. Every healthcare system has its drawbacks and one needs to understand these to make improvements.

Not really a crisis because at least there are doctors and nurses from many countries queuing up to work in the NHS. Your concern should be directed at the huge care gaps these professionals are leaving behind in their home countries, where even newly trained doctors and nurses are looking to japa at the earliest opportunity.

I agree with the bolded, but the solution is not to privatise the NHS.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:17am On May 14
Zahra29:

Not really a crisis because at least there are doctors and nurses from many countries queuing up to work in the NHS. Your concern should be directed at the huge care gaps these professionals are leaving behind in their home countries, where even newly trained doctors and nurses are looking to japa at the earliest opportunity.

I agree with the bolded, but the solution is not to privatise the NHS.

It's the recognition of this crises that has brought about the NHS longterm workforce plan which among other aims to double the number of local med grads by 2031. Funding this is another issue.

jedisco:

The NHS is pushing on today cos its absorbing many doctors and nurses from abroad (at a point even exceeding local grads). There are local and international effects of that. Your free healthcare has far reaching consequences.

Exactly part of the reason I wrote the quoted post above. Free healthcare has to be met with the realisation that expectation and 'misuse' would ballon with time. Hence and if there is no equivalent increase in funding and workforce improvement, problems would occur. The inability to envisage and address this is the reason why the NHS is the political talking point today. The altruistic sounding free care has also caused significant drain of human capital from the outer world. Which is also something the govt and WHO recognise and seek to regulate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 2:19am On May 14
Zahra29:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion and fortunately you have a Nigerian passport and can fly over there to enjoy the premium health services on offer whenever the NHS fails to impress you. Lucky you.

Nigeria where nepa can take light or mikano breakdown while surgery is ongoing. 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 2:19am On May 14
ehizario2012:
Nostalgia time grin

Used this at Bendel State University Staff School (BENSU) Ekpoma.

Talk your own wink

Ancient of days I greet you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 2:47am On May 14
Zahra29:

I'm in support of you advocating for the scan for your child because you can never be too careful with children, I don't see this as a waste of NHS resources.

What I'm not in support of is people demanding full MOT blood tests from their GP[b] just because they paid the IHS [/b]or showing up at A&E with a sprained ankle and expecting to be seen immediately :|

Did you just say “Just because they pay IHs fee”

Do you think that money is easy to come by?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 2:57am On May 14
jedisco:

It's the recognition of this crises that has brought about the NHS longterm workforce plan which among other aims to double the number of local med grads by 2031. Funding this is another issue.

Exactly part of the reason I wrote the quoted post above. Free healthcare has to be met with the realisation that expectation and 'misuse' would ballon with time. Hence and if there is no equivalent increase in funding and workforce improvement, problems would occur. The inability to envisage and address this is the reason why the NHS is the political talking point today. The altruistic sounding free care has also caused significant drain of human capital from the outer world. Which is also something the govt and WHO recognise and seek to regulate.

I have a question.

How do we replicate this Youna brilliant insights in Nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:41am On May 14
lavida001:

I have a question.

How do we replicate this Youna brilliant insights in Nigeria.

It starts from the government.... But a government that cannot supply pipe - borne water, can NEVER offer free healthcare services for all.......

The dynamics are too complicated for them.. ...... If it's how to steal public funds or rig elections, that's their existence of living........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 7:10am On May 14
Viruses:

A&E is not a first come first serve place. Sometimes your cases are better handled by 111 or walk-in center. Fortunately, the HCP after accessing you knows what level of emergency your case is.

I'm not trying to downplay your case, but ask yourself this; when you arrived by 2pm, were you left unattended till 10pm or it was after the initial assessment that you started waiting?

Also stop comparing NHS with other countries' private health sector, compare with their public sector too.

Just to answer your question, yes nothing was done from 2pm to 10pm. All I was given was a form, I filled it and placed it back in stack of other forms. God save you, if you can’t articulate your issue properly on paper.

I’m not a medical professional, but common sense told me that my case, alongside others in serious condition should have been attended to in less than 8 to 10 hrs it took. This was before I saw the article from Daily mail about the 250 needless deaths A WEEK! Let that sink in. That’s some 3rd world stats.

Lastly, I know 100% for a fact, I would have received better care from my medical provider in Nigeria. I was employed by a company that offered me one of the best HMO cover. Didn’t have to pay shi shi out of pocket, and that’s the point jedisco makes about US healthcare. In the UK, you’re working, heavily taxed and now you guys are saying I should add private insurance on top. Even that will not save you in an emergency from “warzone” like care. Read Piers Morgan’s mother’s story. I rest my case.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/piers-morgan-slams-degrading-health-32048187.amp

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:17am On May 14
Jamesclooney:

Just to answer your question, yes nothing was done from 2pm to 10pm. All I was given was a form, I filled it and placed it back in stack of other forms. God save you, if you can’t articulate your issue properly on paper.

Bro, I truly empathise with you. Having to wait that long to be treated must have really upset you, and rightfully so, and I know that Africans typically do not go to the hospital unless they believe that it’s a serious issue.  

It was on this same thread that I read about someone having gastric cancer, and they kept telling them to go home because they didn’t conduct proper checks until it was too late, and they ended up in hospice. 

A friend had partial stroke and he was seen almost immediately by the nurses but he still had to wait close to 4 hours to be seen by a doctor. How is that person supposed to yell and demand that he be attended to immediately by a Doctor? When even the Doctor is probably exhausted from seeing hundreds of people in a short amount of time.

I think, in general, the NHS has a lot of misplaced priorities. I see them hiring for a lot of mid-level roles that they do not need, and a lot of these managerial staff have duplicate roles. 

They need more skilled medical staff with better pay and not some of these new roles that have yet to add any value to the NHS. A major audit needs to be done at each trust so they can get their shit together.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:22am On May 14
Zahra29:

What I'm not in support of is people demanding full MOT blood tests from their GP just because they paid the IHS or showing up at A&E with a sprained ankle and expecting to be seen immediately :|

What if they truly need it? Or what if they have a low pain threshold? Have you actually heard of anyone demanding extra care because they paid their IHS fee, or are you basing it on an assumption?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:48am On May 14
lavida001:

Nigeria where nepa can take light or mikano breakdown while surgery is ongoing. 😂

Smh...If the healthcare is so great, not sure why every politician or rich man flies abroad for treatment at the slightest ailment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:50am On May 14
kwakudtraveller:

Bro, I truly empathise with you. Having to wait that long to be treated must have really upset you, and rightfully so, and I know that Africans typically do not go to the hospital unless they believe that it’s a serious issue.  

It was on this same thread that I read about someone having gastric cancer, and they kept telling them to go home because they didn’t conduct proper checks until it was too late, and they ended up in hospice. 

A friend had partial stroke and he was seen almost immediately by the nurses but he still had to wait close to 4 hours to be seen by a doctor. How is that person supposed to yell and demand that he be attended to immediately by a Doctor? When even the Doctor is probably exhausted from seeing hundreds of people in a short amount of time.

I think, in general, the NHS has a lot of misplaced priorities. I see them hiring for a lot of mid-level roles that they do not need, and a lot of these managerial staff have duplicate roles. 

They need more skilled medical staff with better pay and not some of these new roles that have yet to add any value to the NHS. A major audit needs to be done at each trust so they can get their shit together

Completely agree with the bolded. I mentioned in an earlier post that there is a lot of waste in the NHS - bloated managerial and admin workforce and extravagant contracts to mention a few.

I really hope such an audit and the corresponding cutbacks can be implemented.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:59am On May 14
kwakudtraveller:

What if they truly need it? Or what if they have a low pain threshold? Have you actually heard of anyone demanding extra care because they paid their IHS fee, or are you basing it on an assumption?

Everyone who attends A&E must truly need it and many would have a low pain threshold. However would you rather a stroke patient or another urgent condition be put on hold to treat someone with a low risk ankle sprain?
As a PP said, it's not first come first served. People need to manage their expectations.

And yes, I'm speaking from experience. I have heard several people discuss on how they have the right to a full MOT on demand because they've paid for the IHS and should use it, and advise how to fake symptoms so they are given the tests. I had to caution that that's not what the NHS is for - it can't cater to everyone who wants a full body check (unless you are in an identified risk group) because they heard so and so dropped dead unexpectedly. That's what private checkups are for.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 11:20am On May 14
kwakudtraveller:

They need more skilled medical staff with better pay and not some of these new roles that have yet to add any value to the NHS. A major audit needs to be done at each trust so they can get their shit together.

Thank you for your understanding and empathetic comment. Left to others, we should wait hours on end without saying pim, even though it’s a huge culture shock for us (similar to paying for ambulance service in the USA). Funny enough, after the review/triage, I was admitted and referred. And the situation was “so serious” the doctors refused me going home without signing waivers. Then an emergency surgery was scheduled. That’s to say, my case wasn’t minor as some are inferring with sprained ankle etc. It was a serious and urgent medical situation.So many horror stories abound, I guess I should count myself lucky.

To those comparing with Nigerian healthcare, two truths can co-exist. I personally know people who’ve grown tired of waiting for the NHS and found alternatives, either private care or abroad, from dental care to fertility treatments. If that’s not a failing system, I don’t know what is.

And yes, there’s a lot of waste and inefficiency in the process. So many people running around, pushing paper, wasting time. The system is currently failing a lot of people, and as some immigrants are now discovering
all that glitters is not gold. The NHS isn’t the el dorado some people think it is. Same way the Nigerian healthcare system is not reduced to Mikano generator breaking down during surgery or 3rd highest maternal death etc.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 11:56am On May 14

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 11:58am On May 14
Is renting a flat in the UK really this hard or I'm doing something wrong?

First, you search for a house, do a viewing, and get an "Unfortunately the landlord is going with another tenant" like say na job rejection mail.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:59am On May 14
Truly experience is the best teacher because I’ve seen a patient who had to wait 53 weeks to get surgery, only for them to come in on said day, starve for more than 12 hours, and have the surgeon call in in the evening to say her surgery has to unfortunately be canceled because of unexpected complications with the ongoing one. After waiting for a whole 53 weeks! đŸ« 

What people who parrot this “free healthcare” thing don’t mention is that your US employment can also come with healthcare insurance. They’ll yap about taxes too like you don’t already pay cut-throat tax here in the UK. They’ll yap about gun violence but guess who UK tabloids are disrespectfully calling “sword boy”?

When you weigh the pros and cons, it DOESN’T balance out. It very gently tilts towards one end. People only argue an obvious advantage when they want to feed themselves copium because they can’t do much to change where life has put them. đŸ˜¶

Zahra29:

Lol, experience is the best teacher as they say...

Would advise anyone dreaming of the US to hurry and relocate in the next few months before Trump gets in and blocks/restricts certain countries again.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by victorVIC1(m): 12:27pm On May 14
Please I'm about to initiate PoF for my kids but need clarification on the calculations. My program started September last year and will be ending this September. When calculating their PoF, will I compute for 9 months or just the remaining months to the end of my program? Then also, should the PoF be in my account or my wife's account? Please note my wife is also here in UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 12:30pm On May 14
Yes, there’s a waiting list for even cancer patients. Spanning as long as 44 weeks.
Zahra29:

The bolded is one of the reasons the Tories will lose the election - because many people remember how much better the NHS was 15/20 years ago before the Tories came in and started defunding public services.

One of Labour's key pledges is to improve/transform the NHS ,including waiting lists, so no-one is saying we settle for things remaining as they are.

Cases are usually triaged and urgent/life threatening cases (and minors) are not left waiting in A&E or on 2 year waiting lists. Anyone here been diagnosed with cancer or diabetes or hepatitis or sickle cell or heart disease etc etc and had to wait 2 years to start treatment?

The NHS isn't perfect, I completely agree, and there is an element of post code lottery that determines the quality of treatment some areas receive, which isn't fair.

However, on the whole it is very good considering the limited resources and increasing pressures it is faced with.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:32pm On May 14
Thewritingnerd:
Yes, there’s a waiting list for even cancer patients. Spanning as long as 44 weeks.

That's certainly not the case anywhere I've seen or heard in the UK, but you're entitled to think what you think.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 12:32pm On May 14
I am not going to argue about NHS as we all know that the burden on NHS is so much. There are loads of issues with the system.

However, regarding private health care, the option is available in the UK too and employers tend to cover private care in the UK.

For example, anytime my mum comes to the UK, she sees various consultants within a short period but we have to pay. Specifically, she saw 2 different consultants and she also did MRI all within a week. So, if you are willing to pay, you can get things done quickly too here in the UK.

Thewritingnerd:

What people who parrot this “free healthcare” thing don’t mention is that your US employment can also come with healthcare insurance. They’ll yap about taxes too like you don’t already pay cut-throat tax here in the UK. They’ll yap about gun violence but guess who UK tabloids are disrespectfully calling “sword boy”?

When you weigh the pros and cons, it DOESN’T balance out. It very gently tilts towards one end. People only argue an obvious advantage when they want to feed themselves copium because they can’t do much to change where life has put them. đŸ˜¶

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:33pm On May 14
Thewritingnerd:
Truly experience is the best teacher because I’ve seen a patient who had to wait 53 weeks to get surgery, only for them to come in on said day, starve for more than 12 hours, and have the surgeon call in in the evening to say her surgery has to unfortunately be canceled because of unexpected complications with the ongoing one. After waiting for a whole 53 weeks! đŸ« 

Or perhaps some people are happy where "life has put them" and not running from place to place in search of some utopia, only to start another round of complaints when they get there lol

Look, I'm not trying to convince anyone not to move to the US. I was only defending the NHS, same with some other posters. It's not perfect as I've said numerous times, but it's very good.

I'm very happy for anyone who chooses to go seeking a better life or healthcare in the US or Canada or Nigeria or wherever.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 12:36pm On May 14
Is it to diagnosis or to access treatment after diagnosis?

Thewritingnerd:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:39pm On May 14
dupyshoo:
I am not going to argue about NHS as we all know that the burden on NHS is so much. There are loads of issues with the system.

However, regarding private health care, the option is available in the UK too and employers tend to cover private care in the UK.

For example, anytime my mum comes to the UK, she sees various consultants within a short period but we have to pay. Specifically, she saw 2 different consultants and she also did MRI all within a week. So, if you are willing to pay, you can get things done quickly too here in the UK.

Thanks Dupyshoo, this fact has been called out several times but some people just love to bash and fault find.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:44pm On May 14
Zahra29:

Everyone who attends A&E must truly need it and many would have a low pain threshold. However would you rather a stroke patient or another urgent condition be put on hold to treat someone with a low risk ankle sprain?
As a PP said, it's not first come first served. People need to manage their expectations.

And yes, I'm speaking from experience. I have heard several people discuss on how they have the right to a full MOT on demand because they've paid for the IHS and should use it, and advise how to fake symptoms so they are given the tests. I had to caution that that's not what the NHS is for - it can't cater to everyone who wants a full body check (unless you are in an identified risk group) because they heard so and so dropped dead unexpectedly. That's what private checkups are for.
It’s a good thing that you rounded up your statement by saying that this is a result of hearsay of people dropping dead unexpectedly, which definitely comes from fear and not just because they want to abuse the system because they paid their IHS fees.

In the same vein, many people who actually paid for their IHS are not even registered with GPs because they believe that they do not need to. Let’s educate people and sometimes empathise instead of looking for an avenue to always call out migrants for one reason or another.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:46pm On May 14
dupyshoo:
Is it to diagnosis or to access treatment after diagnosis?

Treatments as well. Look at this 2024 article.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68435770.amp

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (571) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: ridwando, wonlasewonimi, dupyshoo, HenryG(m), heroshark(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.