Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,311 members, 7,867,814 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 02:58 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (565) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (547217 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (600) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:53pm On May 24
igbsam:

Chief, did u see the miracle Nvidia is performing. This bank holiday is about to get lit

Stock split is the way forward....... 🤣😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:32pm On May 24
This week's episode of Location Location was very impressive.

The first set of house hunters was a young couple who had saved a £110k cash deposit on their own.

The second househunter was a dynamic lady - a cancer survivor and rowing world record holder who had a budget of £1.25M (as a single person!). Remarkable woman 😎

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 2:28am On May 25
KingCassy:
Hello please I want to inquire … what’s the cheapest platform to send money from Nigeria to someone in uk apart from lemfi.. lemfi rate seems to be on the high side
Tap tap is the best!

Check out Taptap Send: I use it to send money to Nigeria. Get it at https:///taptapapp.

Use code OLUWAFUN18 and we'll both get a bonus to send.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:40am On May 25
Lol. It is possible. I ve managed to go years without even 1. I have to search for videos when they go viral.

Dont engage, quickly skip them, use the do not recommend button. The algorithm ll get the message.
profemebee:
Please please please and please....

Is it possible to go a full day without seeing a UK immigrant video complaining of this and that on any social media channel?

Even if it is for 24hours

Drop the damn ring light or whatever it is called.. drop the phone.. stop the recording....

Goshhh !!!!!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 5:31am On May 25
Lexusgs430:

Stock split is the way forward....... 🤣😁

Looking forward to it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:53am On May 25
Does this PM Sunak not have any other campaign strategy apart from immigration? Ineptitude.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 6:43am On May 25
What type of cars are in the UK, manual or automatic? I'm learning manual now but I prefer automatic
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 7:25am On May 25
ehizario2012:
Does this PM Sunak not have any other campaign strategy apart from immigration? Ineptitude.

Several polls have shown that immigration is one of the top issues among UK voters, so naturally it'll be a focus of his and other parties.

It's not like Labour isn't planning to clamp down on immigration either. They might seem less hardline about it now but that's only because they don't have to bear responsibility for the migration figures being announced. Once they're in and the outcry is focused on them, you'll see that they'll be talking about it a lot more, too.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 8:17am On May 25
kumbhuru:
What type of cars are in the UK, manual or automatic? I'm learning manual now but I prefer automatic
Both. Passing your driving test with manual will allow you drive both manual and automatic vehicles. While passing your test with automatic restricts you to just automatic cars.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 8:24am On May 25
Goodenoch:

Several polls have shown that immigration is one of the top issues among UK voters, so naturally it'll be a focus of his and other parties.

It's not like Labour isn't planning to clamp down on immigration either. They might seem less hardline about it now but that's only because they don't have to bear responsibility for the migration figures being announced. Once they're in and the outcry is focused on them, you'll see that they'll be talking about it a lot more, too.
Exactly. Every political party has got immigration on their mind. This election would be really interesting. It would reveal things that Cameron’s BREXIT election failed to reveal
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:29am On May 25
Goodenoch:

I beg to differ. Top issues are the cost of living crisis and the NHS. Fewer people care what's happening at Dover . Which poll are you referring to?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 8:30am On May 25
Any way to just siphon money shaaaa. Grasping at straws at this point 😂
kwakudtraveller:
So the English language is how they want to measure people’s level of intelligence. After studying in English and passing a course taught in English, migrants now have to go through another level of scrutiny. Bruuhhh make them cancel the visa make we rest.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 8:36am On May 25
missjekyll:

I beg to differ. Top issues are the cost of living crisis and the NHS. Fewer people care what's happening at Dover . Which poll are you referring to?

Lol. You beg to differ ni kini? I thought even the most politically blinkered person knew this. Anyway, here you go:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/trackers/the-most-important-issues-facing-the-country

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49500-political-tracker-roundup-may-2024

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/23/key-battlegrounds-uk-election-economy-health-migration

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/immigration-what-the-public-think-as-the-election-approaches/

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/nhs-economy-inflation-and-immigration-set-to-be-biggest-election-issues

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/voting-intention/

Now, your turn - Can you show any report or poll where migration is not in the top issues for UK voters? Clearly healthcare and cost of living are the highest (as you can see in the reports up there) but migration is always closely behind, ranking ahead of security, crime, tax, education, childcare etc.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 9:00am On May 25
Mamatukwas:
Guys there’s chatter (seems in England only for now) about getting ready for emergencies and stocking up on supplies. It’s like the media know something we do not.

Anyone have any insight into this?

An ex-Cia agent turned entrepreneur recently said, a form of World War 3 is going on. Its just a different form than what is expected.

With all the gbas gbos of Russia-Ukraine, Israel- Hamas, Israel- Iran etc. If you want to run now its the time do so oo grin grin.
I hear Australia and New Zealand is where you want to be if there is ever a Nuclear war
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 9:05am On May 25
profemebee:
Please please please and please....

Is it possible to go a full day without seeing a UK immigrant video complaining of this and that on any social media channel?

Even if it is for 24hours

Drop the damn ring light or whatever it is called.. drop the phone.. stop the recording....

Goshhh !!!!!!!

Honestly its tiring to say the least, there is always something happening. Went to a wholesale market the other day, it was like I was transported back to yaba and na so someone bring out tripod to record grin grin.

There is already rife talks of them stopping individuals from coming due to the manner of buying and splitting and creating chaos.

I even saw someone carrying box of yam/items on the head at the bus station and I begin to wonder if the market is really worth it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatima04: 9:07am On May 25
Zahra29:
This week's episode of Location Location was very impressive.

The first set of house hunters was a young couple who had saved a £110k cash deposit on their own.

The second househunter was a dynamic lady - a cancer survivor and rowing world record holder who had a budget of £1.25M (as a single person!). Remarkable woman 😎

What channel or brodcast location? I am on the search for anoth interesting property show asides homes under the hammer, which is now quite repetitive and boring.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 10:05am On May 25
Goodenoch:

Lol. You beg to differ ni kini? I thought even the most politically blinkered person knew this. Anyway, here you go:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/trackers/the-most-important-issues-facing-the-country

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49500-political-tracker-roundup-may-2024

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/23/key-battlegrounds-uk-election-economy-health-migration

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/immigration-what-the-public-think-as-the-election-approaches/

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/nhs-economy-inflation-and-immigration-set-to-be-biggest-election-issues

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/voting-intention/

Now, your turn - Can you show any report or poll where migration is not in the top issues for UK voters? Clearly healthcare and cost of living are the highest (as you can see in the reports up there) but migration is always closely behind, ranking ahead of security, crime, tax, education, childcare etc.

For a top issue, it doesn't come up on the doorsteps at all . People worry about food and bills. GP a appointments. Most of them have never met an asylum seekers. I only ever meet them in my line of work and they are lovely and courteous.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 10:33am On May 25
missjekyll:

For a top issue, it doesn't come up on the doorsteps at all . People worry about food and bills. GP an appointments. Most of them have never met an asylum seekers. I only ever meet them in my line of work and they are lovely and courteous.

1. Migration concerns are not only about asylum seekers.

2. How many doorsteps have you been to and how many asylum seekers have you met? Enough to draw conclusions on the generality in either case?

3. Have you considered that it not coming up on doorsteps may be due to reluctance to discuss such a volatile subject with random strangers (with at least one of them being visibly an immigrant herself), and risk being considered racist or prejudiced?

You should read about the 'silent majority' trend and it'll make clearer why despite not hearing much about it on the doorsteps, divisive issues are such key electoral drivers.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 10:56am On May 25
wallg123:

Both. Passing your driving test with manual will allow you drive both manual and automatic vehicles. While passing your test with automatic restricts you to just automatic cars.
Thank you for this. I'm still in Nigeria but my start date is soon reason I'm rushing to learn because driving is a requirement and I lied that I could drive just to get the job.
May my yansh not be opened when I get there
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:34pm On May 25
Goodenoch:

💯

And actually Labour is talking tough on immigration, just that both locals and immigrants still assume that this is the same Labour party of old that had the reputation of enabling mass migration.

Labour's current policy is to train and invest in local talent to reduce the reliance on foreign labour. They've stated the current migration figures are too high and needs to be reduced by focusing inwards. They didn't oppose Rishi's recent clampdown on dependants and other measures like removing the shortage occupation discount.
They also want to stop asylum seekers from being smuggled into the UK in the first place.

One of the key reasons Labour has been shut out of government for over 10 years is immigration. The other is perceived mismanagement of the economy. They're now on a mission to prove they can be trusted with both which means keeping migration levels down and no free money/unrestrained public spending.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:38pm On May 25
kumbhuru:

Thank you for this. I'm still in Nigeria but my start date is soon reason I'm rushing to learn because driving is a requirement and I lied that I could drive just to get the job.
May my yansh not be opened when I get there

Have you got a test date already booked, assuming you need a UK driving license, as many test centres have a lead time of a few months.

If a UK license is not mandated, then ensure you use a full Nigerian license and not an international one.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:41pm On May 25
fatima04:

What channel or brodcast location? I am on the search for anoth interesting property show asides homes under the hammer, which is now quite repetitive and boring.

Yes what's happening with Homes under the Hammer, I stopped watching as they kept showing reruns.

Location, Location, location is on Channel 4, (Kirstie and Phil). If you have cable you should be able to watch current and old episodes.

Kirstie and Phil also host another popular property show - "Love it or List it", also on C4.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 12:46pm On May 25
missjekyll:

You beg to differ?
Yes, you may choose to differ. But you are 1 individual in the Labour Party.
I previous heard Sir Kier Starmer saying that he admits that immigration numbers are too high, and should be cut.

I think the issue is that you are (either deliberately or maybe unknowingly) conflating dingy arrivals in Dover with Airplane arrivals at Heathrow.

The issue of net immigration goes beyond small boat arrivals.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:47pm On May 25
Goodenoch:

1. Migration concerns are not only about asylum seekers.

2. How many doorsteps have you been to and how many asylum seekers have you met? Enough to draw conclusions on the generality in either case?

3. Have you considered that it not coming up on doorsteps may be due to reluctance to discuss such a volatile subject with random strangers (with at least one of them being visibly an immigrant herself), and risk being considered racist or prejudiced?

You should read about the 'silent majority' trend and it'll make clearer why despite not hearing much about it on the doorsteps, divisive issues are such key electoral drivers.

Lol but true.

Brits are ever tactful. They might mutter their displeasure to one another in the pub, but most are careful enough not to state it publicly for the reasons you mentioned.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 1:32pm On May 25
Zahra29:

Have you got a test date already booked, assuming you need a UK driving license, as many test centres have a lead time of a few months.

If a UK license is not mandated, then ensure you use a full Nigerian license and not an international one.
I don't have a full Nigerian license, but I am processing an international one.
Is there a reason why full Nigerian one is preferred over the international one?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thastie(f): 1:39pm On May 25
giselle237:

There’s nothing to do if you have already submitted the application. Goodluck
I haven’t submitted yet
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 1:53pm On May 25
kumbhuru:

Is there a reason why full Nigerian one is preferred over the international one?

Seem a bit of an anomaly that you do not have the ‘local ‘ one, yet you are processing the ‘international’ one.

Do you not need to proof that you can drive in Nigeria before you can be given a proof that you can drive internationally?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:06pm On May 25
kumbhuru:

Exactly as ReesheesuKnack said...

There have been cases where a driver has been stopped during routine checks or for a driving offence and instructed to produce the driving license issued by their home country, as they do not recognise the international driving permit as a valid legal document on its own.

For instance, for a UK driver to be able to obtain an international driving permit to drive overseas, they must first hold a full, valid UK driving license.

Edit: Your Nigerian license is valid for 12 months from arrival in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 2:08pm On May 25
Zahra29:

There have been cases where a driver has been stopped during routine checks or for a driving offence and instructed to produce the driving license issued by their home country, as they do not recognise the international driving permit as a valid legal document on its own.

For instance, for a UK driver to be able to obtain an international driving permit to drive overseas, they must first hold a full, valid UK driving license.
I get now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 2:09pm On May 25
ReesheesuKnack:

Seem a bit of an anomaly that you do not have the ‘local ‘ one, yet you are processing the ‘international’ one.

Do you not need to proof that you can drive in Nigeria before you can be given a proof that you can drive internationally?
The international one comes out faster than the national own
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 2:17pm On May 25
Zahra29:

Edit: Your Nigerian license is valid for 12 months from arrival in the UK.
I guess I have to quickly process the national one but it won't be out before I leave the country
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:18pm On May 25
kumbhuru:

I get now

👍

Not to sound alarmist, but you're a brand new driver and you didn't learn or practise in the UK where driving laws are much stricter. Better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (600) (Reply)

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

Viewing this topic: Genzmummy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.