Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,325 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (461505 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dimejalex(m): 9:51am On Jul 07, 2023
hustla:
Justwise

Please is there a living in the US thread just like this one?

Could only find the student / visa application one
lol are you interested in US Egbon
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:51am On Jul 07, 2023
LionInZion:
Once upon a time, a man sent out 1,000 invitations for a feast in his house. The invitees were happy, booked flight tickets, bought new dresses, and packed enough luggage for the 3-day event. They also brought gold and silver to spend at the feast.

But shortly after they arrived at the occasion, the host started complaining about their presence.
“They are too many!”
“I need my privacy!”
“These aren’t the type of guests I was expecting!”
The host whined every minute.

“But you chose the guests yourself, handwritten their names and signed each invite,” his wife reminded him.
“Yes, I know but still I want them out!”

So, he decided to turn the venue into a ‘hostile environment’ towards the guests.
He started by removing their seats.
He ordered his servants to remove food and drinks from their tables and feed them to the dogs.

When the guests have had enough, they started leaving one after the other
But shortly after, the host realised that the merchandise tables he set up at various corners of the venue were experiencing low patronage.
A week before the feast, he had shipped in expensive goods on credit, banking on the huge profit he’d make off his guests.

Just as he pondered the imminent loss from the goods, the servants called out.
“Master, the freezers are full and we have nowhere to store the food.”
“Also, the dogs refused to eat the little we served them, as they aren’t used to the taste,” another servant announced.

Now, it suddenly dawned on him the loss and wastage he was about to suffer
So, he brought out another round of invitations to be sent to the same set of guests
But this time around with so many promises and relaxed eligibility criteria
He would also sell the merchandise at a cheaper price to mitigate his loss

But then, the invitees weren’t really surprised.
They know the host very well.
This is what he does every year.

The story of one generous, I mean very generous country.

well packaged, wish it can be published or even sent to the parliament grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 9:55am On Jul 07, 2023
hustla:
Justwise

Please is there a living in the US thread just like this one?

Could only find the student / visa application one

https://www.nairaland.com/7432492/living-usa-life-immigrant-part

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:30am On Jul 07, 2023
koonbey:

The PSW visa is very affordable for any graduate, if they truly had access to the money they had proven that they have to support their living expenses for the duration of their studies, while applying for the visa.

The fees for the visa are easily covered by just two or three months of that 20-hour week limit, especially if you factor in the unrestricted vacation work periods.

And IHS? FHS it’s 600 odd pounds per year for unlimited mostly free access to a world-class healthcare system. In that same US some people are hailing a ‘simple’ ambulance trip to the hospital and treatment for a day for heat exhaustion cost a friend of mine over $3,000 recently. There people are often afraid to call ambulances even when they clearly need urgent medical help.

The ‘average Brit’ you people are slandering here has been paying into the funds that made up that system all their life via direct and indirect taxes, and their parents and ancestors for hundreds of years paid into it as well. And they are still paying the same taxes and NI contributions and whatnot as you are today, but 600 pounds per year is exorbitant?

2-3 months of 20hr limit fir visa fee.. hehe

From India alone, its estimated the UK took $45 trillion dollars in 170 years. Thats aside the over 5 million indians who had to die to support the UK economy. Let's then look at Nigeria and other countries. Not only historically, even today, the UK has continued to drain top resources (brains) from these countries. How much exactly has the average 28 year old Brit + parents contributed?

As someone who came staight into the UK as a higher income earner, I was shocked when the deputy head of my governing body told us during our exams that the 'UK needs us more than we need it'. I did not fully grasp what she meant then but everyday it becomes obvious that every work visa is crafted in a way that for everyone issued, that person + nation has to contribute much more than they receive.

Two things are clear:
1. We are not here because we are wanted, we are here because we are needed
2. We are not being done a favour.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 11:35am On Jul 07, 2023
Goke7:

well packaged, wish it can be published or even sent to the parliament grin

Wish it could haha grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:43am On Jul 07, 2023
Off topic

Looking at all the athons going on in Nigeria now since after Hilda Baci (cook-a-thon, massage-a-thon, praiseandworship-a-thon), I remember the guy that didn't give out his company name and people were asking "do you think all of us will go and apply" 😃😃😃

Omo...I too like the way people for take crowd the company 🤣

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:27pm On Jul 07, 2023
dimejalex:
lol are you interested in US Egbon

Yes my Lord

US /Australia. Best to look at options before finishing school as Plan B

wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:29pm On Jul 07, 2023
Viruses:
Off topic

Looking at all the athons going on in Nigeria now since after Hilda Baci (cook-a-thon, massage-a-thon, praiseandworship-a-thon), I remember the guy that didn't give out his company name and people were asking "do you think all of us will go and apply" 😃😃😃

Not the same thing though.

Ive dropped names of companies, yet to see anyone coming in sef. No matter who drops a company's name, you still have to go through HR and then interview. That's how I see it anyways

Infact, one of the companies, na Indians and Carribean guys them even go employ join since when I mention them

grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:30pm On Jul 07, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:04pm On Jul 07, 2023
LionInZion:
Once upon a time, a man sent out 1,000 invitations for a feast in his house. The invitees were happy, booked flight tickets, bought new dresses, and packed enough luggage for the 3-day event. They also brought gold and silver to spend at the feast.

So, he decided to turn the venue into a ‘hostile[b] environment’ towards the guests.
[/b]
Nice story...you can tell it's fiction though because if you call this a hostile environment, what would you call what the windrush gen and some others suffered circa 2012 - 2018?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tushqueen(f): 1:07pm On Jul 07, 2023
Strata1716:

No they sponsor from band 6 and it’s usually clinical roles

Not quite right, they sponsor from band 5
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:07pm On Jul 07, 2023
Goke7:

Yes but we thought we were also in a country of saints and angels where they are not dishonest at all but alas our dear Nigeria is still a learner to some very dishonest acts we also witness here, let’s not even colour it, it’s what it is

This is so laughably untrue....
Sure they are corrupt in many ways here....but then there is fantastically corrupt which is where Nigeria fits into

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2023
samsmokey:

PSW can work in any sector indeed, but why would they go for PSW in the first instance which is essentially worthless if they aim for ILR in 5yrs? How many of the blue collar jobs are offering sponsorship outside H&C?
After spending £15-20k for an MSc why should the new entrants not target the “high powered” jobs? You don’t expect someone who invested so much in their education to just go do something else unless as last resort do you?
In case you’re not aware, SWV holders cannot work outside of their primary field. Knowing Nigerians and the hustling spirit, I know their are many people with white collar jobs who wouldn’t mind doing a second or even third white or blue collar job to build themselves up, but the same government made that a very complicated process.
[b]No one is doing the other a favour in this country, [/b]if the government wants to fill more blue collar or low skilled occupations, they can come down their high horse and recruit low skilled people to come in and do the jobs. We have an abundance of people in Naija and other parts of Africa. If they only want to attract the best and brightest don’t expect they’d come in and be in servitude to you for eternity, everyone follows the money.

Exactly.... immigrants do what is best for themselves, same way the gov puts its interests and those of its citizens first

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 1:11pm On Jul 07, 2023
jedisco:

From India alone, its estimated the UK took $45 trillion dollars in 170 years. Thats aside the over 5 million indians who had to die to support the UK economy. Let's then look at Nigeria and other countries. Not only historically, even today, the UK has continued to drain top resources (brains) from these countries. How much exactly has the average 28 year old Brit + parents contributed?

Some of the Brits I know started working and paying taxes at 16. Majority of them retire at 55 because they have built up a huge pension pot by then. I also don’t know any 28 year old Brit who is not in an established career and already settled both job wise and family wise, irrespective of whether it’s blue collar or professional jobs.

We should be careful when we are making generalisations here.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:16pm On Jul 07, 2023
koonbey:

The PSW visa is very affordable for any graduate, if they truly had access to the money they had proven that they have to support their living expenses for the duration of their studies, while applying for the visa.

The fees for the visa are easily covered by just two or three months of that 20-hour week limit, especially if you factor in the unrestricted vacation work periods.

And IHS? FHS it’s 600 odd pounds per year for unlimited mostly free access to a world-class healthcare system. In that same US some people are hailing a ‘simple’ ambulance trip to the hospital and treatment for a day for heat exhaustion cost a friend of mine over $3,000 recently. There people are often afraid to call ambulances even when they clearly need urgent medical help.

The ‘average Brit’ you people are slandering here has been paying into the funds that made up that system all their life via direct and indirect taxes, and their parents and ancestors for hundreds of years paid into it as well. And they are still paying the same taxes and NI contributions and whatnot as you are today, but 600 pounds per year is exorbitant?

Haba mana. Haba.

Plus, after all they said on this thread that migrants to the UK from Nigeria are like people living in Banana Island, among other Nigerians.

We all know why it looks like it’s too unaffordable for many graduates, abi? So tell us - Is the UK government to blame for people not having access to the money they claimed they had or for people not planning properly for the dependents they brought?

💯 ( x3 )

Very well said

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:27pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

Some of the Brits I know started working and paying taxes at 16. Majority of them retire at 55 because they have built a huge pension pot by then. I also don’t know any 28 year old Brit who is not in an established career and already settled both job wise and family wise, irrespective of whether it’s blue collar or professional jobs.

The general mentality is that they are saving the UK which is full of lazy, uneducated Brits. The same Brits that created an economy and society (yes colonialism etc ) that they and millions all over are very desirous of.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:34pm On Jul 07, 2023
Zahra29:

Sure they are corrupt in many ways here....but then there is fantastically corrupt which is where Nigeria fits into

You have contradicted yourself
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 2:39pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

Some of the Brits I know started working and paying taxes at 16. Majority of them retire at 55 because they have built up a huge pension pot by then. I also don’t know any 28 year old Brit who is not in an established career and already settled both job wise and family wise, irrespective of whether it’s blue collar or professional jobs.

Zahra29:

The general mentality is that they are saving the UK which is full of lazy, uneducated Brits. The same Brits that created an economy and society (yes colonialism etc ) that they and millions all over are very desirous of.

Its funny how many of you are shouting average brit paying into the system for year to build the economy... have you all forgotten that immigrants are included in that average brits that build the economy? Just tell me how many generations do you want to go back to?

Immigrants are the corner stone of the economy of this country(thanks to slavery) and they are still contributing till today.

Sunak and Braverman's parents are included in that mix.

And to someone that said stuff like...this is their country they can do what they want there is nothing like that as the demographic of this country has changed...look at those in key political offices now.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 2:42pm On Jul 07, 2023
Zahra29:

Nigerian politicians are able to steal so much because the UK and some other western countries were willing to handle stolen goods.

Basically the UK is as guilty as those Nigerian thieving politicians

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2023
Viruses:
Off topic

apply-athon

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 3:40pm On Jul 07, 2023
Strata1716:

No they sponsor from band 6 and it’s usually clinical roles

This is incorrect. They sponsored my friend in a band 5 admin role.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2023
justwise:

Its funny how many of you are shouting average brit paying into the system for year to build the economy... have you all forgotten that immigrants are included in that average brits that build the economy? Just tell me how many generations do you want to go back to?

Still a drop in the ocean compared to the number of white people working and paying taxes based on figures from the 2021 census.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 4:00pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

Still a drop in the ocean compared to the number of white people working and paying taxes based on figures from the 2021 census.

Who did this classification? Are indians not Asians? cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:06pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

Were you expecting more blacks and other ethnic minorities to be working when they have to face immigration restrictions? Do you know that only British citizens are eligible to apply for certain jobs? Immigrants face so many barriers in job market as compare to white British people

So your stats did not do justice to the argument.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 4:32pm On Jul 07, 2023
justwise:

Were you expecting more blacks and other ethnic minorities to be working when they have to face immigration restrictions? Do you know that only British citizens are eligible to apply for certain jobs? Immigrants face so many barriers in job market as compare to white British people

So your stats did not do justice to the argument.

Well it does if what you were saying about immigrants contributing more to the UK economy was anything to go by.

Percentage of white people in active employment is higher than the percentage of any subset of ethnic minorities except for Indians.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:35pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

and all the whites here are British? stats of close to 9 million cannot be a drop in the ocean

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:37pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

Well it does if what you were saying about immigrants contributing more to the UK economy was anything to go by.

Percentage of white people in active employment is higher than the percentage of any subset of ethnic minorities except for Indians.

the stats here do not in any way play down the huge contributions and would have been much better but for the wack govt policies

the stats also show that all the noise about bringing down net migration is hogwash
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 4:47pm On Jul 07, 2023
Goke7:

the stats here are saying otherwise, look carefully

Nope! Just like there are different subsets of ethnic groups, there are also different subsets of white people. White British account for 76%.

The point is Brits are not as lazy as we often make them out to be on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:49pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

Nope! Just like there are different subsets of ethnic groups, there are also different subsets of white people. White British account for 76%.

so why all the noise about net migration if this is the reality, looks like a false alarm then
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 5:02pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

The point is Brits are not as lazy as we often make them out to be on this thread.

you also got to be careful with this stat, not all white British are British by origin, so many were immigrants who became British by citizenship.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 5:26pm On Jul 07, 2023
Peerielass:

It will be nice to see their tax brackets and tax contributions to the system.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 5:45pm On Jul 07, 2023
Goke7:

you also got to be careful with this stat, not all white British are British by origin, so many were immigrants who became British by citizenship.

If I were white America or German, I won’t class myself as white British. I would choose ‘white other’. Same way I still class myself as Black and of African descent even though I’m a British citizen. Each to their own.

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: TouchOfSpice(m), Resurgent2016, toughest007, jedisco(m), zeke100(m), tinutunde(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.