Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,594 members, 7,955,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:01 PM

Is This Selfishness Or Not - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Selfishness Or Not (18590 Views)

""Children Are A Blessing" Is A Saying From A Place Of Selfishness" (Video) / Is It Lack Of Education, Stupidity, Selfishness That Is Our Problem? / Selfishness Doesn’t Encourage Taking Responsibility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Nobody: 3:49am On May 22, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

one main reason is stigma from society and family

Let me give you example how manu wome women have been dumped or hubby gets a second wife after wife has gave birth to girls only ? So think of the stigma of just having girls and tha one adopting, she might called Not Real mother, statements like you dont know labour pain etc

On hubby is the same, he can be called names for not even being able to have a child, not a real man for not able to have his own child

Most africans shun from
adopting strangers due to spiritual
beliefs , what if the child is cursed, that a no ho area for most africans, hence you find that adopation laws in most african countries are hard, i think there are based on fear of bringing a curse into the family

I see where you are coming from but we have to move past some of those bieliefs in other to progress as a society.

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Acidosis(m): 7:42am On May 22, 2023
cococandy:
grin and did thanksgiving too

Exactly cheesy
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Foodqueen(f): 8:23am On May 22, 2023
Your own na your own.

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by DearGorgeous(f): 11:52am On May 22, 2023
I know of a sister, with her husband who has four biological children and then adopted five from five different struggling families. Their own mode of adoption is quite different anyway. All the adopted kids still live with their parents, but the couple take care of every of their material needs; ranging from feeding, clothing, medication, to education up to the university level. They also contribute to paying the rents of the biological parents of those kids.

The only difference is that the adopted kids are not living under the same roof as they are, but they are the ones taking care of their basic needs.

Come and see the way God is blessing them for that kind gesture, ehen!

Whether I have 100 biological children or one, I have made up my mind a long time ago that as the Lord God of heaven lives, I will surely adopt and help at least, one or two kids out there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Doctortest: 1:19pm On May 23, 2023
Abeg make nothing do my balls because u can’t imagine living as a Dad to someone else kids ‘ funnnk

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by tunatrezy(m): 1:20pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:
Ok. This is my personal opinion and do not take it personal as you are entitled to your own opinion as well.

I often hear couples give testimonies about looking for the fruit of the womb for about twenty years and some of them may even be in their fifties or late forties.

My question is, what is stopping these couples from adopting and putting joy in the life of
some hopeless baby out there in the motherless homes.

Why are we not able to spread happiness to some hopeless baby while still continue to wait on the lord. Why must we adopt our relatives?

When people tell me they prayed for 15 or 20 years for the fruit of the womb, i consider them with a mixed reaction, some come across to me as selfish to be honest.

You are looking for babies, there are babies out there looking for parents, i believe the law of demand and supply should work here or wada ya think.

If you are out there and looking to God for the fruit of the womb, adoption is a viable option.

I know a lady who had her womb removed during a fibroid operation. She is still praying for the fruit of the womb for the past ten years instead of going to adopt.

Pray that you are not tested with this problem

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Onewazobia(m): 1:21pm On May 23, 2023
Aonkuuse:
Bro you have no idea about this thing. Do you know that many people will prefer they have a wayward child than adopt a good child that is not their blood??. This is in human nature, Abraham was blessed and was riches to adopt any child but God preferred to give him his own child at old age, even having a child with his maid wasn't enough. Bro as far as Christianity is concerned, your true offsprings comes from your blood, not from an adopted child. Let people seek for their own children in peace. The order is from God himself.

I'm surprised you coin Christianity into this

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Reminderz: 1:22pm On May 23, 2023
it's instinctual.. even animals don't raise another offsprings.. like the lion for example, he's going to chase or kill off his competitor offsprings..

we want to grow our own offspring because it gives us a sense of fulfillment.. so it's not selfishness, adoption is a personal choice.. and it's not African issue..

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by ItisWell22(f): 1:22pm On May 23, 2023
Jovialjune1:
So preference and choices skipped your dictionary? It is selfishness because parents prefer to carry their child for 9 months or have children that resembles them abi? Is it by force to adopt kids?

The joy of a mini version of one’s self knows no bound. 💯🥹

Even if they’re magnanimous enough to adopt, there’s always a vacuum. 😢

2 Likes

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by eroticecstasy: 1:23pm On May 23, 2023
Everyone aren't sharing your mind, so you can't impose your ideology on others.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Kobicove(m): 1:23pm On May 23, 2023
Victoria938:
Our Africans mentality is the problem. When it comes to adoption , Africans are still behind , many stigmatize the innocent children they make them less privileged in the society.

It has nothing to do with African mentality, it's a universal issue undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Ingocof(m): 1:24pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:
Ok. This is my personal opinion and do not take it personal as you are entitled to your own opinion as well.

I often hear couples give testimonies about looking for the fruit of the womb for about twenty years and some of them may even be in their fifties or late forties.

My question is, what is stopping these couples from adopting and putting joy in the life of some hopeless baby out there in the motherless homes.

Why are we not able to spread happiness to some hopeless baby while still continue to wait on the lord. Why must we adopt our relatives?

When people tell me they prayed for 15 or 20 years for the fruit of the womb, i consider them with a mixed reaction, some come across to me as selfish to be honest.

You are looking for babies, there are babies out there looking for parents, i believe the law of demand and supply should work here or wada ya think.

If you are out there and looking to God for the fruit of the womb, adoption is a viable option.

I know a lady who had her womb removed during a fibroid operation. She is still praying for the fruit of the womb for the past ten years instead of going to adopt.

Do you know what's called blood connection?
Oh, do you know the impact of that umbilical cord?
Oh do you understand what it is to have gone through delivery stress and see your bundle of joy after it all?

There is nothing wrong about adoption but you can never experience the joy of parenthood with adopted children as you will with your own biological children.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by faceLAGOS: 1:26pm On May 23, 2023
Please don’t adopt!
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Pkzonec: 1:27pm On May 23, 2023
Good
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by alizma: 1:27pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:

My question is, what is stopping these couples from adopting and putting joy in the life of some hopeless baby out there in the motherless homes.

I don't pray you get to that stage but it is not selfishness, bringing in a child that is not your while you are still trusting God for your own is not an easy decision. For example, there is this fear of how will one of you, especially the woman react or treat the adopted child if by chance your own biological comes later? Remember that by virtue of proper adoption, the adopted child becomes the first born of the family in term of everything that is to be decided about that family. Also there is fear of how will the biological children feel when they get to understand that the child who is considered and accorded all right as first child is not their biological siblins

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by mastermaestro(m): 1:28pm On May 23, 2023
Onewazobia:

I'm surprised you coin Christianity into this

He made a very valid point with Biblical support. Anything wrong in what he stated?
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by mastermaestro(m): 1:30pm On May 23, 2023
ItisWell22:

The joy of a mini version of one’s self knows no bound. 💯🥹

Even if they’re magnanimous enough to adopt, there’s always a vacuum. 😢

Tell them jor. They have no idea what it feels like to see your little version running around and causing scenes inside your house. cheesy
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by mastermaestro(m): 1:33pm On May 23, 2023
Mindlog:

Can you mention the part(s) of the bible that established who the true offspring is?

The Abram account he cited answers your question (Genesis 15:1-4).
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Enemyofpeace: 1:33pm On May 23, 2023
My own is different from our our own. Pray not to find yourself in that kind of position.

Please what do they call those photographs people take before wedding? Is it pre-marital affair? I want to release my pre-marital affair on the social media, but I want to be sure of what to title it.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by chukkystar(m): 1:34pm On May 23, 2023
Everyone is different na .. Not everyone sees the world the way U see it..
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Onyinyechiugly1(f): 1:34pm On May 23, 2023
I agree with you. Even as a single I will try and adopt one, talk more of when married and yet to have mine.

Nah selfishness o jare!

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Neddyogu(m): 1:37pm On May 23, 2023
IkeIgboNiile:
Victoria938
Our Africans mentality is the problem. When it comes to adoption , Africans are still behind , many stigmatize the innocent children they make them less privileged in the society.

Stupid talk. African families have adopted kids and even families centuries before the white man came.
If you ask your father or any elderly person
around you about your family history. You'll notice that there are one or two families who are not related by blood to you but are your family members because your grand father gave them lands or shelter in the old days when they have settled or reside till date.

Quite correct you are. We have always had our own forms of adoption in our part of the world. Everything should not be viewed from the white man’s lens
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by GboyegaD(m): 1:53pm On May 23, 2023
It is the culture. It is difficult for someone who is highly culturally inclined to adopt in Nigeria because our culture has some shades of superiority complex to them.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Cassandraloius: 1:54pm On May 23, 2023
Omo na serious talk be this o, infact this is a perfect topic for a talk show.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by ShangTsung000: 1:56pm On May 23, 2023
I love this thread.

WTF!!

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Onewazobia(m): 1:58pm On May 23, 2023
mastermaestro:

He made a very valid point with Biblical support. Anything wrong in what he stated?

He only seek to reenforced old testament/traditional logic.
Tho there may not be direct message/passage in the scripture addressing the issue at hand but I think it's more christ-like to welcome other blood into your home as your biological family. Those who are into discipleship and have given them self wholly will understand this better. In context of Christianity your seeds by blood are not your inheritance rather those you are able to win/save
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Opus001: 1:59pm On May 23, 2023
Aonkuuse:
Let people seek for their own children in peace. The order is from God himself.
Please in what of the bible can i find this??
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by advanceDNA: 2:00pm On May 23, 2023
Jovialjune1:

Must everything boil down to African mentality? How does some of you reason sef? What has stigmatisation got to do with adopting kids? If you've never seen African or Nigerian couples adopt kids, say so instead of generalising all as one, or you think everyone in western countries have one or two adopted kids in their home? Because i know your thought process is hell bent on praising oyinbo people, Inferiority complex is bad.

Wait. .so u get sense like this....??
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Nazgul: 2:02pm On May 23, 2023
Mindlog:

Can you mention the part(s) of the bible that established who the true offspring is?
Joseph adopted Jesus Christ. But Jesus never acknowledged Joseph as his father. He referred to himself as God's son cos he was conceived by the seed of the Holy Ghost.

In Genesis 21:8-21 Sarah sent Hagar and Ishmael away and God supported her because Ishmael wasn't the promised son even though he was Abraham's seed.

An adopted child isn't your seed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Letter To Nigerian Parents / Your Sincere Opinion To A Sister Please!- Do you think I can get married again? / Please Who Knows How To Do A Change Of Name After Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.