Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,676 members, 7,955,485 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:18 AM

Is This Selfishness Or Not - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Selfishness Or Not (18591 Views)

""Children Are A Blessing" Is A Saying From A Place Of Selfishness" (Video) / Is It Lack Of Education, Stupidity, Selfishness That Is Our Problem? / Selfishness Doesn’t Encourage Taking Responsibility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by DrDunamis(m): 2:03pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:
Ok. This is my personal opinion and do not take it personal as you are entitled to your own opinion as well.

I often hear couples give testimonies about looking for the fruit of the womb for about twenty years and some of them may even be in their fifties or late forties.

My question is, what is stopping these couples from adopting and putting joy in the life of some hopeless baby out there in the motherless homes.

Why are we not able to spread happiness to some hopeless baby while still continue to wait on the lord. Why must we adopt our relatives?

When people tell me they prayed for 15 or 20 years for the fruit of the womb, i consider them with a mixed reaction, some come across to me as selfish to be honest.

You are looking for babies, there are babies out there looking for parents, i believe the law of demand and supply should work here or wada ya think.

If you are out there and looking to God for the fruit of the womb, adoption is a viable option.

I know a lady who had her womb removed during a fibroid operation. She is still praying for the fruit of the womb for the past ten years instead of going to adopt.

Our society is not engineered in that way and thus you don't find it a common thought.
But every child is your child.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by kosboy45: 2:12pm On May 23, 2023
Jesslove:
Apart from the stress involved in adopting, there's a fear that the adopted child may still find his real parents thereby not appreciating the adopted parents. Also the fear of culture and what will people say especially when family matters are concerned. Some family members especially the archaic illiterate ones will never accept the child and will make sure that child is reminded about it all the time which can make him feel unwelcome and insecure in the extended family.

You very correct
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Dybala85(m): 2:15pm On May 23, 2023
With this agenda I will say No to it sir. Anyone who wants his or her child desperately should not adopt in my opinion, this is why most children suffer abuse in their guardians home. Every child needs to be loved. Allow them to choose for theirselves. If after adopting and they finally get a child, do you think they will still love that adopted child
Skyview01:
Ok. This is my personal opinion and do not take it personal as you are entitled to your own opinion as well.

I often hear couples give testimonies about looking for the fruit of the womb for about twenty years and some of them may even be in their fifties or late forties.

My question is, what is stopping these couples from adopting and putting joy in the life of some hopeless baby out there in the motherless homes.

Why are we not able to spread happiness to some hopeless baby while still continue to wait on the lord. Why must we adopt our relatives?

When people tell me they prayed for 15 or 20 years for the fruit of the womb, i consider them with a mixed reaction, some come across to me as selfish to be honest.

You are looking for babies, there are babies out there looking for parents, i believe the law of demand and supply should work here or wada ya think.

If you are out there and looking to God for the fruit of the womb, adoption is a viable option.

I know a lady who had her womb removed during a fibroid operation. She is still praying for the fruit of the womb for the past ten years instead of going to adopt.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Savoryzinny(f): 2:22pm On May 23, 2023
This would have made sense if adoption is free or at least affordable. The process is very tasking and you may end up spending close to a million or more. This is the reason people prefer using same amount for IVF or probably, wait on the Lord.
I think the right thing should be, if you can afford to take care of a child and willing to adopt, the process should be less complex and if possible free.
The government should look into it.

quote author=Skyview01 post=123265367]Ok. This is my personal opinion and do not take it personal as you are entitled to your own opinion as well.

I know a lady who had her womb removed during a fibroid operation. She is still praying for the fruit of the womb for the past ten years instead of going to adopt.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by PrimadonnaO(f): 2:28pm On May 23, 2023
Sharonstone7719:
In Nigeria people vehemently fast and pray against doctors expert decision to carry out CS on them for their own children. As long as Hebrew women vaginal delivery is still being held as sacred, adoption is of the devil.

LOL.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by PrimadonnaO(f): 2:35pm On May 23, 2023
Hathor5:
It would be nice if people gave orphans a home but it`s not the same. For a woman, the experience of carrying a baby under her heart is something many want to experience. The couple also wants to see themselves in the child and even the DNA of the grandparents and so on. It`s just different.

Well, I can imagine how it's different. Because what you've said is the exact reason I'd love to have at least one child borne by me.

However, for couples who have been waiting for years without any child, it's already become a possibility that they may never be able to carry a child under their heart and see their grandparents in those kids, so rather than lose it all, why not adopt, and pour heart soul & love into that child?

The only thing that would ever be missing is the blood component.

Moreover, it's not written anywhere that after you adopt, you'll never be able to bear your own biological child.

I pray that the man I marry would let us adopt a child no matter how many of our blood we have.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Dancebreaker: 2:39pm On May 23, 2023
MasterJayJay:
How many have you adopted?
grin grin grin cheesy
You know castigating other people is easy.
Make she tie her womb and wait for new born throway inside gutter. She go find plenty such babies in PH.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by PrimadonnaO(f): 2:45pm On May 23, 2023
DearGorgeous:
I know of a sister, with her husband who has four biological children and then adopted five from five different struggling families. Their own mode of adoption is quite different anyway. All the adopted kids still live with their parents, but the couple take care of every of their material needs; ranging from feeding, clothing, medication, to education up to the university level. They also contribute to paying the rents of the biological parents of those kids.

The only difference is that the adopted kids are not living under the same roof as they are, but they are the ones taking care of their basic needs.

Come and see the way God is blessing them for that kind gesture, ehen!

Whether I have 100 biological children or one, I have made up my mind a long time ago that as the Lord God of heaven lives, I will surely adopt and help at least, one or two kids out there.

I almost thought I wrote this.

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by PrimadonnaO(f): 2:48pm On May 23, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
My own is different from our our own. Pray not to find yourself in that kind of position.

Please what do they call those photographs people take before wedding? Is it pre-marital affair? I want to release my pre-marital affair on the social media, but I want to be sure of what to title it.

Na wa! cheesy grin

Pre-wedding photos?
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by 123yes(m): 3:00pm On May 23, 2023
Sharonstone7719:
In Nigeria people vehemently fast and pray against doctors expert decision to carry out CS on them for their own children. As long as Hebrew women vaginal delivery is still being held as sacred, adoption is of the devil.
God have mercy on you.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Glowgrowglory(m): 3:20pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:

Guy the process it takes to adopt a child here in nigeria is very difficult(almost imporsible, those that are in the situation will tell their bitter experience. You will sign documents and pay money and u will not still see anything. I once used think like these, a lot is happening guy.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by DearGorgeous(f): 3:25pm On May 23, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

I almost thought I wrote this.

That's the thought of those ready to extend the hands of kindness to humanity.

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Irete26: 3:45pm On May 23, 2023
I have a neighbor that’s been through a whole lot of stress just to get a child from the motherless baby home, lets say she’s been on it for almost 2 years and it’s not been easy at all.
They done all of their verifications and they are doing just fine financially but then they haven’t been able to get a child yet from the organizations. They are not SELFISH just that the country isn’t making it easy for them.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Irete26: 3:46pm On May 23, 2023
Glowgrowglory:

Guy the process it takes to adopt a child here in nigeria is very difficult(almost imporsible, those that are in the situation will tell their bitter experience. You will sign documents and pay money and u will not still see anything. I once used think like these, a lot is happening guy.
God bless you, have also experienced this from a neighbor!
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by TenQ: 3:54pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:

1. It is good to adopt, but not every couple can adopt a child.
2. It is just like Surrogacy is available, but not every childless couple can take the option

The personalities of the couple matter: nothing is automatic.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by safarilove(m): 3:57pm On May 23, 2023
I want talk before but you stated it's just your own opinions. Every mallam with his own kettle.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 23, 2023
advanceDNA:

Wait. .so u get sense like this....??

You are daft.

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by MeaslesMumpsRub: 4:20pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:

You have reasoned in light and they say charity begins at home.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 23, 2023
Can somebody give us a blow by blow account of the adoption process in Nigeria.
I do believe you can also adopt from neighboring african countries.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Edoziesmart(m): 4:31pm On May 23, 2023
IkeIgboNiile:

Stupid talk. African families have adopted kids and even families centuries before the white man came.
If you ask your father or any elderly person around you about your family history. You'll notice that there are one or two families who are not related by blood to you but are your family members because your grand father gave them lands or shelter in the old days when they have settled or reside till date.

I agree with you. Because there are one particular family in my knidred in the village that bear different surname from ours.
When I made enquiry about the difference in surname, I got to know that their ancestor is from far away community miles away from my LGA let alone community. My ancestor adopted the man and woman they settle in our land and bore children. Now their offspring are part of us.

Note: Our surname is the name of my ancestor 5 generation ago. So every member of my kindred are mandatory to bear the surname excluding ladies that are married out. But in this case, that particular family in my kindred is the one with different surname due to the fact they are not related to us biologically from origin.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by isabi2lof: 4:32pm On May 23, 2023
Do whatever makes you happy , some adopted children are selfish to the core .
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Enemyofpeace: 4:36pm On May 23, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Na wa! cheesy grin

Pre-wedding photos?
we never we'd o. We just dey have affairs.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by benqo01(m): 4:49pm On May 23, 2023
ADOPTION ISNT JUST AN AFRICAN THING,LIKE PEOPLE DO PREFER HAVING THEIR OWN BLOOD, DEY DONT MIND D NUMBER OF YRS IT TAKES ALL THAT MATTERS IS D CHILD COMING FROM DEM

SO DONT BLAME THEM OP IT ISNT JUST PART OF US AS NIGERIANS
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by advanceDNA: 4:59pm On May 23, 2023
Jovialjune1:

You are daft.

E pain am.. grin ..but U know its not my fault u are always talking nonsense more than 99% of the time on nairaland
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 23, 2023
Edoziesmart:

I agree with you. Because there are one particular family in my knidred in the village that bear different surname from ours.
When I made enquiry about the difference in surname, I got to know that their ancestor is from far away community miles away from my LGA let alone community. My ancestor adopted the man and woman they settle in our land and bore children. Now their offspring are part of us.

Note: Our surname is the name of my ancestor 5 generation ago. So every member of my kindred are mandatory to bear the surname excluding ladies that are married out. But in this case, that particular family in my kindred is the one with different surname due to the fact they are not related to us biologically from origin.

But why the discrimination? To what end?

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 23, 2023
advanceDNA:

E pain am.. grin ..but U know its not my fault u are always talking nonsense more than 99% of the time on nairaland

The people that birthed you made a terrible mistake that's why you are daft

Fvck off from my mention.

1 Like

Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by diogo23: 5:08pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:

One of my relation the they adopt is a bandit now . They are looking for away to dispose him
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by diogo23: 5:08pm On May 23, 2023
Skyview01:

One of my relation the they adopt is a bandit now . They are looking for away to dispose him, that's fear of many Nigerian family
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Ajalekoko76(m): 5:09pm On May 23, 2023
Is adoption meant for those looking fruit of the womb only? Our mentality need readjustment if truly we believe in western adoption. Africans believe in extended family life which includes adopting family members. Those who have their biological children still adopted children in Western countries. The writer should lead by example by adopting children.

Let's embrace our culture, cherish values and our society will be better. Either adoption or not,humans should be valued.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by Edoziesmart(m): 5:09pm On May 23, 2023
Jovialjune1:

But why the discrimination? To what end?
Who is discriminating them?

Thte feel like not to answer our own surname rather their own surname. Their surname is the name of the man that my ancestor gave shelter and land.

If we are discriminating them, we won't have even share our lands to them equally. Nobody knows they are not part of us from origin aside that surname difference, because we do things in common.
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by diogo23: 5:10pm On May 23, 2023
Victoria938:
Our Africans mentality is the problem. When it comes to adoption , Africans are still behind , many stigmatize the innocent children they make them less privileged in the society.
Like I said before my relation is finding it hard with a child they adopt because he is a harden criminal
Re: Is This Selfishness Or Not by advanceDNA: 5:11pm On May 23, 2023
Jovialjune1:

The people that birthed you made a terrible mistake that's why you are daft

Fvck off from my mention.

U see??...u just confirmed what i said....u dont only talk nonsense...u have no regard for ur parents or other people's parent... anytime i see ur comment...i always wonder what kind of gutter, shanti type of environment u live in

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Letter To Nigerian Parents / Your Sincere Opinion To A Sister Please!- Do you think I can get married again? / Please Who Knows How To Do A Change Of Name After Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.