Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

List Of South African Foods - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / List Of South African Foods (51531 Views)

African Foods In Brazil(photos) / 10 Mouth-watering African Foods You Need To Try / South African Restaurant Refuses To Sell Food To Nigerians (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of South African Foods by mariahAngel(f): 3:19pm On May 22, 2023
ogify1:

Dey play.. you wey chop fufu this morning

No. I had fried rice. 😌

4 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 22, 2023
Too late.
Thomasankara:
[/color]do it in the evening[color=#770077]
Re: List Of South African Foods by Mrtaye: 3:19pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
I don't understand, can you use English?
Samantha ewa agoyin is Yoruba name for marshed beans predominantly cooked by the Agonyin people from Togo but it is very popular here in Nigeria with it's special stew

4 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by callmevirus(m): 3:20pm On May 22, 2023
I have eaten almost everything here except Samp I don't like it

My favourites are pap, braai and put (Zulu food).

Favourite early morning chops is magunye

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Sultty(m): 3:20pm On May 22, 2023
god bless Africa. Sa foods got me confused your "pap" is solid. here pap is a jelly like liquid made from seived maize
Samantha124:
What you guys talk of soup, what are you referring to? Because I keep seeing some of you mentioning soup over and over again.

I've never eaten Nigerian food before.
Nigerian soup is made of chopped or grinded dry vegetables, with meat/fish

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by mariahAngel(f): 3:20pm On May 22, 2023
IJOBA11:
I HAVE NO BUSINESS WITH RICE 🌾

You see? And I don't find you weird.
So, live and let live. 😌
Re: List Of South African Foods by pdf90(m): 3:21pm On May 22, 2023
it's only fufu you can eat days later... Semo, Eba, two, pounded yam etc... Will spoil that very day if you are not careful ,
ghettochild4u:

The difference Is that pap is hard when cold and can't be enjoyed the next day..
Every Nigerian swallow can be eaten days after preparation as long as it hasn't gone stale.
It doesn't get hard like pap does

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by airsaylongcome: 3:22pm On May 22, 2023
ghettochild:
Goat is way cheaper than cow meat in Nigeria.

Not true. Especially for those that prefer the southern goats (West African Dwarf goat) vs the taller northern goats. Compare the price of a kilo of goat meat with a kilo of cow meat. Beef is always always cheaper

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 22, 2023
I see.. smiley smiley
IkeIgboNiile:
Samantha124
Even though I've never seen Nigerian food in real life, I've seen some in few of your movies, on YouTube and here on nairaland... That thing looks like mashed potatoes... You even call it swallow because you don't chew it, you just swallow, meaning it's way too soft to chew.

Your side dishes always seem too oily and what surprised me is that you guys can cook three different types of meat in one pot at the same time.. How are you guys able to taste each flavour of the meat when cooked altogether?

I once watched a video whereby a Nigerian was cooking goat, chicken, and fish altogether and I was like whaaaat😂😂😂😂

What you refer to as Nigerian is mainly yoruba dishes. There are different tribes in Nigeria and they all cook differently. The only truly Nigerian food is Jollof rice, every other food is tribal.
Re: List Of South African Foods by airsaylongcome: 3:25pm On May 22, 2023
Zaccshegzy:

Chicken intenstine that we used to throw away here undecided

Different strokes for different folks. People dey troway shaki, we dey rush am here. People dey troway ponmo/kpomo, we no dey let am rest hear. People dey troway cowleg or cowhead, Nigerians dey use few bottles of beer push them down for bele

6 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Gamesmart: 3:26pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
I think I did mentioned my personal favorites on the list.

I asked for your Top 3.
Re: List Of South African Foods by kasim155: 3:26pm On May 22, 2023
Zaccshegzy:

Yeah, we don't eat chicken intestine here in Nigeria, we do throw it away so I was wondering how they will be feeling eating it.

3 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 22, 2023
We all have different preferences depending on the environment we were raised it.

I find most of your food too oily too, but I understand that it's your native food.
Iamkaro:
Their food doesn't look so good compare to ours

2 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by kasim155: 3:28pm On May 22, 2023
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahaha
I like how you own your ish! 😀

Most Nigerians will claim they don't eat chicken heads and feet.

I do eat Chicken feet but I don't eat chicken head.

3 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Ashirioluwa: 3:28pm On May 22, 2023
illicit:

Oh really
U are used to ur diet, it's normal and natural

Nigerian men and women can not live on bread alone u know

How do our people survive there? Probably they have Nigerian restaurants where the serve our cuisine

You have nice soup

But I/we like swallows, solid foods shocked and Rice

I have a taste for good food. Anywhere I go, I stick with their food. I may go for Nigerian food once in awhile, but I'm never really hungry for it.

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 22, 2023
We do plant crops, hence there are veggies there.
Thomasankara:
[/color]so u people hardly plant crops,rather engage in rearing animals?[color=#770077]
Re: List Of South African Foods by sprints1: 3:30pm On May 22, 2023
Apart from chicken gizzard I don't think I can chop the rest. E be lie abasha to me
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 22, 2023
But how do you guys cook chicken and tripe altogether?

How will you be able to taste each flavour when cooked altogether?
FairlyUSEDpussy:

Check this out.......

This what we Nigerians refer to as solid food (swallow)........

There u have the l cattle stomach lining (triipe) cheesy
Re: List Of South African Foods by Warl0ck: 3:32pm On May 22, 2023
Hmmm
E be like say the mod wey ahnie been dey fvck, be like say na samantha dey fvck am now o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of South African Foods by Housing(m): 3:32pm On May 22, 2023
ghettochild4u:

I do eat Pam and samp as well
But u know we mostly miss the food(swallows) we grew up eating.
Hence we buy if u can't cook it...
If you move abroad you will miss South African foods n therefore sought out shops that sell ur food.

Please explain what is South Africans Samp. If Pam is same with Nigerian pap except from being too strong. What is Samp made from
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 22, 2023
Well, there are different type of ways to prepare them depending on one's preferences... But I'll think about it.. smiley smiley smiley
coputa:
@Samantha,i just knew that you are a south African, how are you enjoying nairaland You did a great job by the display of those palatable dishes. Could you please list the ingredients of one those dishes and how it's being prepared.
Re: List Of South African Foods by airsaylongcome: 3:34pm On May 22, 2023
IkeIgboNiile:
It seems like black south Africans were feeding on grass before the white man came. How is it that you guys don't have local dishes and not goat this, beef that.

Nigerians in South Africa are really trying because have to spend a lot on foods. All these foods here look like dessert except pap.

Don't people cook Nigerian "local" dishes with goat and beef? Kilishi and Suya are beef based "Local" dish. Isi-ewu is goat based. Ukodo by the Urhobos is goat based. So are all these goat and beef Nigerian foods also "white peoples food"?

2 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by victorazy(m): 3:35pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
No, we don't... I first heard about it here on nairaland.

Jesu

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Postinor: 3:37pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
7. Braai. I don't know what you guys call it, but I believe it's some sort of a barbecue.. It goes well with pap, chakalaka, and some salad... I personally prefer it with cold pap.. There's something about that cold pap and braai.. grin grin grin
hmm,all these south africa foods look like faeces

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of South African Foods by airsaylongcome: 3:38pm On May 22, 2023
IJOBA11:
THIS ONE DON DEY FORM 😡

How is not liking swallow forming? They didn't say they can't eat it. Just that it's not their preferred meal. I had to grudgingly eat Eba as lunch Monday to Saturday. While I can eat Eba, it won't be my first pick on a menu.

2 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 22, 2023
We also eat lamb, pork, and mutton.

We buy them from supermarkets.. The gizzards, livers, and intestines can also be sold in bulk.

I only eat a soup only once in a while, since the year started, I haven't eaten any.

What's the difference between a gravy and a soup? Because I've eaten gravy.
stasius:
You guys eat a lot of meat.

Chicken legs... Chicken gizzard... Chicken liver... Chicken intestines..

Then beef... Beef.. Beef. Few beans and cereal.
You guys don't have soups?
I also wonder how many fowls you have to kill to make a family a dinner of chicken intestines or liver or gizzard.

Ooh ooh ya!
Re: List Of South African Foods by Obyino: 3:41pm On May 22, 2023
No wonder their women de get big nyash
Re: List Of South African Foods by Cassandraloius: 3:42pm On May 22, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

u gor Jez waste transport 4 nathin!
cool

Lol, but I love that place.

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by IkeIgboNiile(m): 3:44pm On May 22, 2023
airsaylongcome

Don't people cook "local" dishes with goat Å„ land beef? Kilishi and Suya are beef based "Local" dish. Isi-ewu is goat based. Ukodo by the Urhobos is goat based. So are all these goat and beef Nigerian foods also "white peoples food"?

Many indigenous dishes in Nigeria can be prepared without meat or fish. Here in the east, there are a dozen local dishes that have no business with meat or fish.
Also i never said having goat meat classifies a meal as white people food. I mean they don't have local dishes that can be prepared with onions,maggi,theme and other foreign condiments that Africans got from our association with the white man.

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Sleekfingers: 3:46pm On May 22, 2023
Jahwinaboy:
Most of South African foods are made from Goat, fowl and cattle intestines/meat if I get you correctly? No native soup or local dishes?

That's their dishes. Which one be local dishes?

2 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Jahwinaboy(m): 3:46pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
Our foods are different.. smiley smiley smiley
Yeah sure. Someday you will taste Nigerian delicacies. Well done. Meanwhile, awaiting the day you will make a post debunking or exposing Xenophobia in SA. Nigerian guys would like to enlightened by you
Re: List Of South African Foods by Sleekfingers: 3:47pm On May 22, 2023
Zaccshegzy:

Is gizzard not an intestine? The last time I checked . Nigerians eat chicken gizzards.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

The Most Popular Food In Nigeria / I Prepared Lunch For Me And My Wife Just 120naira / Prices Of Rice Crash In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.