Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,852 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? (15634 Views)

Christmas In Nigerian Languages: Cultural Diversity / Which Of The Major Nigerian Languages Would You Love To Learn? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:11pm On Jul 08, 2023
sexymonkey:
I can speak Pidgin, Igala, Hausa, Yoruba, and I understand igbo, Ibibio to some point. grin

You be King!

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by SocialJustice: 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2023
Evestar200:
I can only speak my language URHOBO
Which kingdom are you from?
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Thinkfree(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2023
Malory:
Oya mention your father in Igbo, your mom in Yoruba and your wife in Hausa.
mnpa, iya,and mata
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by spencekat(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Failed, useless and shameless parenting.

Their parents are a disgrace to their people.
Inter tribal marriage can cause it too
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by MrBroke(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2023
None. Can't even speak my villiage dialect. All this different yeye tongue speaking is one big problem we have in this country.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Allisgud: 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2023
VinnyBaba:

You Lie.๐Ÿคจ

Currently, there are many Guys who CAN'T those languages u mentioned. sad
I know Many of them.

While the ones who know how to Speak it do NOT teach their Children.
E.g. Wizkid and Davido. I wonder if their children know to speak Yoruba. undecided

In 30 yrs time, ALL Nigerian languages will DIE OFF from the face of the earth. ๐Ÿ˜’
he forget say gbadebo grv no fit speak Yoruba,banky w the hardest language is Ibibio efik,the day I see aboki dey speak Edo language for my village,I open mouth ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

3 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Jman06(m): 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2023
Just Igbo for now. My Hausa is still shaky but I'll love to improve on it so I can become very fluent in Hausa.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2023
MITCHELL96:
I'm Igbo and I speak Akwa Ibom (Ibibio) very well, and small Yoruba, I would have learnt Hausa, but I don't have interest in it for now. (Might learn it later shaa)

I speak fluent Portuguese, German and Japan, like I speak it likes it's my Igbo language sef, lol

Had very good friends from the listed countries above that really helped me

Thanks to:
Hinata ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ต
Walden ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช
Belmira ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น

They were the friends that helped me, funny enough we met on Facebook in one group like that and we've been rolling since then till this very moment

Healthy friendship is a very good investment, they'll hardly tell you this.

You are a superstar!

Icon!

Learn your mother-tongue or a Nigerian language before learning any foreign language.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Allmiron: 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2023
Yoruba, little of Hausa and Yoruba.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by AjaoEstater(m): 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2023
3; Urobho (understand it and spoke it fluently for 21 years, English in Ireland made me not speak until now), Yoruba (understand it but my mum and grandmother never made us speak it but after 29 years I am speak it and slowly getting there), and Nigerian Pidgin (Nigerian/Naija) (understand and speak it fluently since I came into the world).

Unity in our Diversity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by phemmyfour: 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2023
Illegal1:
There's this popular woman in the community were i stay here in Yenagoa, omoh.... This woman can speak almost 9 different dialects..

She came to the restaurant were I was eating this afternoon, and she was speaking Hausa with one hausa keke rider.... Ino knw wen i ask her" madam abeg were u 4rm? and she said, i'm a patrotic Nigerian..

The guy sitting next to me was lyk "madam u get beta ear ooh....i never even sabi speak my own dialect finish bt u dey hear/speak almost all nigeria dialect, no body fit sell u for dis country ooh.....she jst laff..

So guys, apart from your native dialect, how many other Nigerian languages can speak?
one. Pidgin
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Seunfretty: 1:16pm On Jul 08, 2023
Hausa and Yoruba

International language...English...Spanish

Tu contento hora

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Thinkfree(m): 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2023
I can speak idoma and hausa fluently but understand igala and iyala and you can't gossip me in igbo
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2023
spencekat:
Inter tribal marriage can cause it too

Then the child should either learn the mother's language or the local residential lingua franca of the city they live in.

Many black parents are retarded and useless and think they are cool by raising children that speak only English and Western languages.

They are iiidoits!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2023
Mindlog:
2.....Igbo and Yoruba, fluently.

Star!
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2023
NkanuSon:
Igbo and pidgin

Good!
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Justiceleague1: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2023
Benin
Esan
YORUBA cool
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2023
Kyase:

Tiv
Hausa
Fulani(moderate)
Kagoro
Moura
Jukum
Koteb

You be Superstar!
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by MrBroke(m): 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Good enough.

Many useless kids in Nigeria today only speak English.

They think they are funky, despite being raised to be lost second rate human beings.

What the Bleep are you saying. You think speaking a language makes any one better than the other. With all your dialect speaking what do you have or are you smarter, more intelligent those who can't speak. A general language is what is important not a useless tongue that causes division amongst people. You better change your mindset
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Mindlog: 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Star!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2023
dododawa1:
English only

You have been failed by the parenting given to you.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:20pm On Jul 08, 2023
dododawa1:
Who language HELP?

........And you are obviously a failure.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by kheny12(m): 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2023
MITCHELL96:
I'm Igbo and I speak Akwa Ibom (Ibibio) very well, and small Yoruba, I would have learnt Hausa, but I don't have interest in it for now. (Might learn it later shaa)

I speak fluent Portuguese, German and Japan, like I speak it likes it's my Igbo language sef, lol

Had very good friends from the listed countries above that really helped me

Thanks to:
Hinata ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ต
Walden ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช
Belmira ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น

They were the friends that helped me, funny enough we met on Facebook in one group like that and we've been rolling since then till this very moment

Healthy friendship is a very good investment, they'll hardly tell you this.
Which group is that,I also want to join the group.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by EzekielAkins: 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2023
Illegal1:
There's this popular woman in the community were i stay here in Yenagoa, omoh.... This woman can speak almost 9 different dialects..

She came to the restaurant were I was eating this afternoon, and she was speaking Hausa with one hausa keke rider.... Ino knw wen i ask her" madam abeg were u 4rm? and she said, i'm a patrotic Nigerian..

The guy sitting next to me was lyk "madam u get beta ear ooh....i never even sabi speak my own dialect finish bt u dey hear/speak almost all nigeria dialect, no body fit sell u for dis country ooh.....she jst laff..

So guys, apart from your native dialect, how many other Nigerian languages can speak?

Lol!
Well u speak 3 Sha...
Yoruba, Hausa and Fulfulde( Fulani language)
Currently in rivers state
Hoping to learn Ikwerre, okrika Dialects Sha
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

And I bet you can't speak your mother-tongue.

The failure of modern African parenting and evidence of failure of black people.
Lol! Cry baby, why are you crying more than the bereaved?
I speak fluent Igbo which is my mother tongue.
So keep wailing louder than a banshee.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2023
Evergreen4:
Igbo and Edo language. Though I'm igbo

Star!

3 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2023
Tboymessiah:
NasoLifeBe!!!
* Yoruba
* Benin
* Oke- Agbe Akoko
*Esan
*AKURE

Superstar!

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2023
internationalman:
One thing I like about Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa is that you hardly see their tribesmen who don't know how to speak it. Even those that weren't brought up in their locality still know how to speak it..

But most of my my tribesmen can't even speak it including some that were born and brought up in their locality. I have many friends who have never lived elsewhere other than Edo State but can't speak the language..

It's only Edo State English (pidgin) is mostly used to communicate by the general public. But when I travel to other States, I can easily identify the State with my eye closed because they mostly communicate in their indigenous language...

Edo remains the heartbeat of Nigeria though.
Please,what makes Edo "the heartbeat of Nigeria" ? I mean no harm;I'm just curious.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2023
Oricha79:
Hausa, Yoruba, kanuri, owo and Egbira

Superstar!

3 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Jboynokiaphone(m): 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2023
Alexandersantos:
How i wish i can speak hausa.,that language dey sweet me no be small

U can teach u if ure in Lagos .
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Justiceleague1: 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2023
sukkot:
pery peautipul. pipty pipe kobo
Baaaaaahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!
grin grin
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ondo Masquerades Arrested After Robbery Operation / ร‰zรจ วธrรฌ gi gรก Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM / Arrival Of A New Baby Amongst Ndigbo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.