Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,020 members, 7,825,206 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? (15764 Views)

Christmas In Nigerian Languages: Cultural Diversity / Which Of The Major Nigerian Languages Would You Love To Learn? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:25pm On Jul 08, 2023
internationalman:

You feel me!

I currently have a group of adults in my clique who can't speak Edo language despite being born and raised here. One that can speak it very well is so ashamed to speak it in public..

I've yet to see where a group of Yoruba people are gathered and they are speaking English. Only among Edo people this happens.

I remember when I was at Ibadan 2013 for work, everyone was communicating in Youruba everywhere I went to including Banks and exotic fastfood restaurants.. their first attempt to speak to you is Youruba. The 50% of Youruba I learned was between that 3 months I spent in Ibadan. They only switch to English when they notice you are not one of the locals. Same thing when I went to Onitsha.

Come to Benin na you will see an old woman communicating to you first with English.

Shameful nonsense!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:26pm On Jul 08, 2023
Farid24224:
Just Hausa and Fulani...

Want to learn Yoruba though!!

Good.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:27pm On Jul 08, 2023
Senioradvocate:
Anaang
Ibibio
Efik
Igbo
Hausa

Superstar.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:28pm On Jul 08, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. Well,you aren't far from the truth..... That has been like a bone in our throats.... the truth is that those of us who were born and bred in Ughelli can't really speak urhobo fluently apart from few families that made it a compulsory thing...... I've alot of friends who can't understand it even tho they are from here too...But that doesn't mean you should write it off so quickly..We have neighboring communities around that constitute ughelli as a town.. Communities such as Afiesere, otovwodo, Ekiugbo and the rest..Those are the communities that speak and understand urhobo well...... Ughelli is just like a town that comprises of different tribes,tho it's an urhobo town...

What a shame only few families have sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:30pm On Jul 08, 2023
Kyase:

For where

1 major language, 3 minor languages and some few small languages?

Na you o!
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:31pm On Jul 08, 2023
abufadllullah:

Yoruba, Hausa, Igala and Bini

Superstar

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by PrinceMajestic: 2:32pm On Jul 08, 2023
Urhobo, Hausa and Isoko
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:32pm On Jul 08, 2023
Bahamas95:
I can speak two fluently.

If I add Yoruba it will make it three but my Yoruba isn't that good......So I speak two and half languages.

You be star.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:33pm On Jul 08, 2023
Blackdisciple:
I speak and understand Efik, Hausa, ibibio and English I wish to speak Igbo too

Star.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by aklid(m): 2:34pm On Jul 08, 2023
Hausa, Yoruba and Fulani language they are the Nigerian languages I can understand and can speak
Confidentially…💪🎊
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:34pm On Jul 08, 2023
Ilamina:
English and broken English

My sympathies.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:34pm On Jul 08, 2023
PrinceMajestic:
Urhobo, Hausa and Isoko

Star.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2023
aklid:
Hausa, Yoruba and Fulani language they are the Nigerian languages I can understand and can speak
Confidentially…💪🎊

Superstar.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Bahamas95(m): 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

You be star.
With just two languages? cheesy

Wetin you go call those wey fit speak four or five?
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by uglodoh(f): 2:36pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

If you can speak the main language of that city, then that is fine.

If you are a child of a Urhobo father and Igbo mother, but was raised in Kaduna, if you speak Hausa and English, that is honestly fine.

If you speak only English, na failed parenting.
Ok
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 2:36pm On Jul 08, 2023
Bahamas95:
With just two languages? cheesy

Wetin you go call those wey fit speak four or five?

Superstars or even Megastars.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by AnonymousMike(m): 2:40pm On Jul 08, 2023
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool the 1st day way I smoke MAMA KELECHI WEED in 2003... Chaiii!

NaSo I begin see WHITE ANGELS..

Me and doz ANGELS begin speak in TONGUE..

As I drag the WEED again.. NaSo i begin see Chinese people..

E come be like say me and doz Chinese people day inside MARKET de price garri and beans..

I miss P.H ooooo! chai..

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

Brooooo............I understand when dat weed hits different you begin to see visions

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Caleycash(m): 2:44pm On Jul 08, 2023
VinnyBaba:

You Lie.🤨

Currently, there are many Guys who CAN'T those languages u mentioned. sad
I know Many of them.

While the ones who know how to Speak it do NOT teach their Children.
E.g. Wizkid and Davido. I wonder if their children know to speak Yoruba. undecided

In 30 yrs time, ALL Nigerian languages will DIE OFF from the face of the earth. 😒
Not all but it'll definitely go extinct in 100 years to come, everyone will most likely communicate in English and pidgin languages, na then real wahala go set for naija due to the unison and one language!

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Kyase(m): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

1 major language, 3 minor languages and some few small languages?

Na you o!

Na God, apart from kebbi, Bauchi, Kwara and Kogi,I have stayed in all the other northern states (Adamawa too maybe, I birth in Gongola state)
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by ShenTeh(m): 2:50pm On Jul 08, 2023
Yoruba, Hausa, Bokobaru and Bissan
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Menclothing: 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2023
I can speak
Ibibio
Yoruba
Small Igbo
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Exceed15: 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2023
Yoruba & Hausa
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by IyanuDeb(f): 2:59pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I concur.
Proverbs 22:6 grin

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Princeton92(m): 3:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Superstar

Funny 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 but how so? 🤔
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Emmanuel602(m): 3:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
Igbo
Hausa
Fulfulde
Jukun
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by KosiGee(m): 3:05pm On Jul 08, 2023
Thinkfree:
mnpa, iya,and mata

There is nothing like mnpa in Igbo.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by shantti(m): 3:07pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

At least they already showed us that they are sensible enough by giving their children Nigerian names.

Not like the mugus of P-squared with the yeye names they gave their kids and were feeling funky.

Peter okoyes children = Cameron chinonso okoye, aliona amarachi okoye

Paul okoyes children = andre chukwunonso okoye, Nathan obinna okoye and Nadia adaobi okoye
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by shantti(m): 3:08pm On Jul 08, 2023
KosiGee:

There is nothing like mnpa in Igbo.

I even thought it was a file extension
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 3:10pm On Jul 08, 2023
Princeton92:

Funny 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 but how so? 🤔

2 major languages, 1 minor language plus an international language?

Momsie and popsie did a good job.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by 2O17: 3:13pm On Jul 08, 2023
Ede Yooba nikan
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Love56743: 3:13pm On Jul 08, 2023
Igbo, ika, Anoicha, and Yoruba language.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 3:14pm On Jul 08, 2023
shantti:

Peter okoyes children = Cameron chinonso okoye, aliona amarachi okoye

Paul okoyes children = andre chukwunonso okoye, Nathan obinna okoye and Nadia adaobi okoye

Nonsense!

Peter okoyes children = Cameron and Aliona

Paul okoyes children = Andre, Nathan and Nadia

Those names have nothing to do with their heritage or even religion. They were given it because their parents thought they were cool, funky and superior names.

Complete colomentality names.

Have you ever seen a Nigerian give their children Ghanaian, Kenyan or Ugandan names?

But black fools feel like Gs giving their children oyinbo names.

Colomentality nonsense!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba / Fanfare As Akanu Ohafia Holds 2021 Ekpe, New Yam Festivals (pix, VIDEO) / This Woman Explains Why She Hates Being Black!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.