Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars (57157 Views)

List Of Cars With Good Fuel Economy / List Of Cars You Should Buy And Enjoy In Nigeria By Twitter User / Thousands Of Cars Including Rolls-Royce & Lambo Rot In Supercar Graveyard In UAE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by chukel(m): 4:51am On Jun 07, 2023
May work for Nigerian used cars but not foreign used cars. The cost of importation of foreign used cars has not reduced. In fact, with unified exchange rate, it will increase cos custom duty will increase further. With the reality of inflation (increase in all commodity price), the profit margin dealers fix on foreign used cars will also increase in order to survive. So foreign used cars will become expensive. Nigerian used cars may drop a bit. Only difference is people will import less of V6, V8 and go more of 4cyl way. That will increase demand for 4cyl and further drive the price up.
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by chukel(m): 4:54am On Jun 07, 2023
organico:
Since it was reported that Nigerian border has been opened, and there is hike in the fuel pump price, I see the car prices crashing to all time low. Cars will be coming from the neighbouring countries and many people will like to sell their cars because they cannot buy fuel and maintain the car.

Therefore, if you want to buy car, wait a little more (like a month), monitor the car market and take a decision. Definitely, you will get it at a better price.
wrong advice.
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by saintchidiebere(m): 5:29am On Jun 07, 2023
What determines the price of cars is the amount it was bought ,shipped and the high charges by the Nigerian custom for clearing the cars. Fuel or no fuel will not bring the price down.
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by nairalanda1(m): 6:25am On Jun 07, 2023
zeenaman:
Personal opinion:

The relationship between cars and Petrol is complementary in nature. Complementary in the sense that, one is needed to augment the other, just like garri and kulikuli.

Going by basic economics principle, there is an inverse price relationship between complementary goods i.e an increase in the price of one results in decrease in the demand for the other. With this, it is conceivable that with increase in the price of petroleum, there will be less demand for cars, hence result in price crash occasioned by excess supply over demand.

Also, from the angle of the Federal government, the rich benefit more from the subsidy. People with ten cars will now find it unfunny fueling the convoy, and this may result in selling off some of the vehicles. This should further increase the supply of cars and drive down the price.

Let's talk about this, do you see the price of cars crashing? Let's leave out the Nigerian factor, corruption and base our argument on fact.

Yeah, I see car prices crashing, as people sell off their petrol guzzlers for more fuel efficent cars...

Good analysis.
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by nairalanda1(m): 6:26am On Jun 07, 2023
organico:
Since it was reported that Nigerian border has been opened, and there is hike in the fuel pump price, I see the car prices crashing to all time low. Cars will be coming from the neighbouring countries and many people will like to sell their cars because they cannot buy fuel and maintain the car.

Therefore, if you want to buy car, wait a little more (like a month), monitor the car market and take a decision. Definitely, you will get it at a better price.

Yeah, looking like that's how things are going to be.
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Olumaeme: 7:13am On Jun 07, 2023
Your example of Garri and kuli kuli is wrong because you can take Garri with groundnut, goat meat, or even alone but cars can't do with anything aside petrol.

The price of cars will not come down, if the cost of importation did not come down.

Would I sell the car I bought for 5m for 2m because I can't fuel it? Hell No.

Or Dealers in US sell to nigeria 50% less because of fuel increase? No.

There are several types of elasticity of demand and supply, and for one, price does not change even if an increase or decrease in demand.

Lets look at it, fuel price increased from 60-80-147-180-200 before now, did price of cars came down those times? No it didn't, instead the price of Corolla that used to be 800-1.2m is now over 3m.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by yahmohy27: 7:28am On Jun 07, 2023
triple996:
We will survive
By God's grace
That is the spirit
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by respect80(m): 7:29am On Jun 07, 2023
Nigeria is a different continent on its own so there won't be any crash in prices of cars πŸ˜‚
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Deoboss(m): 11:59am On Jun 07, 2023
Vehicle prices will not decrease cause of the higher import duty charges
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by kolaaderin: 2:49pm On Jun 07, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar
I don't see any car price crashing

Nothing will crash stop playing ...we are just too greedy in this part of the world

Before the removal of subsidy...a lexus es 350 V6 was sold for between 6.5 million to 7.4million

Go and check again now or wait after one month and check again

Am even thinking people will now buy thier own cars now that fuel price gone up which means public transport will double plus the uncomfortable atmosphere that comes with public transport ...where them dey carry for 200 naira before na 400 naira

From Abuja to Benin city with God is good motor na 27000 thousands naira now...so it will be better you just fuel your own car with 12000 naira and drive from Abuja to Benin city

Dey Play Abuja to Benin on 22 litres of fuel. not even a City and Yaris can pull that stunt.
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by kolaaderin: 3:06pm On Jun 07, 2023
Gaabasky:

To be frank I don't see much different between v6 and 4 plugs cars in regards to fuel consumption. I'm using V6 car and my brother is 4 plugged one.
No difference when you live outside Lagos where there is no traffic, especially in Abuja where you hit highways all the time without traffic. But if you live in Lagos, you will definitely see your fuel gauge spindle having competition with your rev-meter.
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by yemi1504: 5:38pm On Jun 07, 2023
Tonnierichy:

The drivers are actually complaining about the trekking partπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Abi o
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Gaabasky: 6:22pm On Jun 07, 2023
kolaaderin:
No difference when you live outside Lagos where there is no traffic, especially in Abuja where you hit highways all the time without traffic. But if you live in Lagos, you will definitely see your fuel gauge spindle having competition with your rev-meter.

O.k
Where I'm living the traffic wahala is minimal
that may accounted for that. Thanks
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Zaphnath1(m): 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
Emeka71:
Hyundai Accent.
have always aspire to have 2 set of car brands
rolls royce and IVM
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Zaphnath1(m): 7:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
ugodson:

What's your dream car

rolls royce is always the first then followed by IVM
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Parachoko: 4:09pm On Jun 11, 2023
ictplotter:

12000 fuel from Abuja to Benin this present nigeria?
Are u normal at all or you mean to say 120k. Fuel?
Lol grin
Re: The Effect Of Fuel Subsidy Removal On The Prices Of Cars by Emeka71(m): 5:07pm On Jun 13, 2023
Zaphnath1:

have always aspire to have 2 set of car brands
rolls royce and IVM
Good anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Are These Not The Most Creative Bus Advertising You Have Ever Seen? (PHOTOS) / Coscharis Delivers Rolls-Royce Cullinan To Bolu Akin-Olugbade, First In Nigeria / Would You Buy This 1982 Peugeot 504 Station Wagon For ₦6million?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.