Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? (27580 Views)

Mother Wants Her Daughter To Quit Marriage Because Of This / Man Leaves His Marriage Because His Wife Beats & Abuses Him / I Am Ending My Marriage Because Of These (see Reasons And Give Advise) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Lanre1st(m): 7:00am On Jun 07, 2023
This is a serious issues threatening many families.

Have you ever study, ask or observe the reason for him refusing to work. At least you must have his attitude to work before and after marriage. You need to discuss it even if it needs a counsellor to intervain.

Also, thinking of seeing another man who can support is not an option it will only complicate the issue. Instead, start seeing yourself as a man who has responsibilities to do and family to support.

Lastly, don't quickly take divorce as option, the responsibility doesn't disappear with divorce, it only increases it, atleast your children can stay with their dady while you go about with you business. Staying alone brings loneliness and depression

3 Likes

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Kutunban: 7:21am On Jun 07, 2023
Giftedhands45:
I have to join this forum to post this tonight.

I'm in my early thirties, my husband is just two years older than me. My husband has always been neglecting his responsibilities even before we got married, but I was seeing it as he doesn't have a better job and a struggling guy whom we can both join hands together to build each other. I endured everything with him. I have always supported and provided without complain.
Since last year my husband lost his job, since then, he has refused to look for any other source of income. Even when he had a job, he always have one story or the other to tell about his monthly salaries. So, he still doesn't provide.
Once, there's nothing in the house, he will keep watching because I can't watch my two children Starve. I will try everything, even call friends, families and borrow. He doesn't care how I borrowed and how I paid.

Now, he wakes up every morning and still go back to sleep. Whatever I asked him, he don't always have. He's response always is ''I don't have money ''
I am the only one sourcing out everything in this house, I don't have a job as well, just struggling up and down with a business I do.

There's no food, school fees, bill, everything, he will ignore. I can't watch my children suffer. So, I keep struggling without any help. But he eats food and uses everything in the house with us. He wouldn't provide, but he can use them once they're available.
Our house rent will soon expire and he has no plan towards That. The previous one I paid, but presently, my business is down

Lately, I've been thinking. I've never cheated since I entered this marriage, but If I keep struggling all myself like this, my children will suffer. I feel, I need someone who loves me and willing to support me as well.
My children are too used to their father, it borders me if I separate them from him.

Leaving a marriage because he's not taking responsibilities, does that make me a bad woman?

What could make a man to be very comfortable not providing for his family but wouldn't want to loss the said family?

Have you ever been in my shoes, what would you advise me?

It's for better for worse.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Originalsly: 7:22am On Jun 07, 2023
Giftedhands45:

presently, my business is down

Lately, I've been thinking. I've never cheated since

My advice is to first take responsibility of ignoring red flags before marriage that warned you of him being an irresponsible person. You were the one wearing the pants even before marriage ... the pants he should've been wearing ... while he was comfortable wearing ehmmm .... the other pants ... women pants. He feels at home in that kind pants... that kind pants that makes the wearer be laying in bed hoping and waiting for someone to ome and ehmmmm .... serve them. Just hope he not waiting for the same thing .... these days you just can't tell who is who. Your business is down... instead of thinking how to build it up ... you are thinking of prostitution period.... you want money ... and willing to give up the body... that's prostitution period. Who knows ... your husband may support you on this... and even find you clients... after all... he will no longer be suffering... money by any means necessary.
Focus on your business .... starve your toothless lion.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by ivanoj(m): 7:54am On Jun 07, 2023
Giftedhands45:
@all thanks for your advice and suggestions.
I have reported to his mum and siblings severally and they're not happy about his behavior, but he refuses to change.

The advice on moving to my parents house once the house rent expires is exactly what I will do.

For those saying I bring forth children to suffer them. No, My children are not suffering. I tried to give them the best in my own power. I'm the only one suffering because I'm doing it all alone.
And sure, no more intimacy here anymore. He can't provide, he can't touch me either

The beginning of scatter family.... Just go separate ways instead of disturbing yourself and realized later outside is not laughing. My contribution .... See yourself as the husband and let him take responsibility of the wife.

1 Like

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by HaneefahRN(f): 8:07am On Jun 07, 2023
He is irresponsible because he knows you will do it

1 Like

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Jespet97: 8:54am On Jun 07, 2023
You married a lazy man, you are the man then he is the woman imagine waking up in the morning and still go back to sleep God forbid.
Dear you endure o, for this era that we are now that everyone is hustling,may God help you,I feel your pains dear really painful,pour him water anytime he goes back to sleep wot rubbish.he should look for work,daily pay dey, monthly dey, careful about the kind of family members you call for the meeting let them talk sense into him, you are a good woman may God Almighty bless your hustle
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Gerrard59(m): 9:07am On Jun 07, 2023
seanwilliam:
I support the bolded. But divorce? Ha, provided there’s no domestic violence and the man is not a womanizer, she should devise other means to tackle the situation.
I’m telling you bro, single mothers are not finding it easy , infact , the stereotype is too much and believe me , she’ll regret 97% chances ( this is not dem say dem say ). Taking such risk doesn’t worth it especially since children are involved, and if God one punish her make her kids be girls .

She is a dumbas marrying him in the first place when she knew he’s irresponsible. This is Nigeria not yankee, she’ll turn a menace in the society if she becomes single mother

I do understand your point sha. Maybe she should just assume she is a single mom but remain in the union for union's sake. Maybe because na woman and considering how Nigeria is, but in a situation where woman give me problem, I am filing for a divorce. I no like stress.

As for the bold, she is fully responsible as she knew ab initio that he was up to no good. If na my sister and I warned her before marrying such a man, I will not be responsible for her upkeep. I will only care for her if she did not know.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Lobotomy02: 10:11am On Jun 07, 2023
Giftedhands45:

I'm in my early thirties, my husband is just two years older than me. My husband has always been neglecting his responsibilities even before we got married, but I was seeing it as he doesn't have a better job and a struggling guy whom we can both join hands together to build each other. I endured everything with him. I have always supported and provided without complain.
Since last year my husband lost his job, since then, he has refused to look for any other source of income. Even when he had a job, he always have one story or the other to tell about his monthly salaries. So, he still doesn't provide.
Once, there's nothing in the house, he will keep watching because I can't watch my two children Starve. I will try everything, even call friends, families and borrow. He doesn't care how I borrowed and how I paid.

Now, he wakes up every morning and still go back to sleep. Whatever I asked him, he don't always have. He's response always is ''I don't have money ''
I am the only one sourcing out everything in this house, I don't have a job as well, just struggling up and down with a business I do.

There's no food, school fees, bill, everything, he will ignore. I can't watch my children suffer. So, I keep struggling without any help. But he eats food and uses everything in the house with us. He wouldn't provide, but he can use them once they're available.
Our house rent will soon expire and he has no plan towards That. The previous one I paid, but presently, my business is down

Lately, I've been thinking. I've never cheated since I entered this marriage, but If I keep struggling all myself like this, my children will suffer. I feel, I need someone who loves me and willing to support me as well.
My children are too used to their father, it borders me if I separate them from him.

Leaving a marriage because he's not taking responsibilities, does that make me a bad woman?

What could make a man to be very comfortable not providing for his family but wouldn't want to loss the said family?

Ok.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Tompson88: 10:50am On Jun 07, 2023
Not that kind job hunting, connection of a thing if possible
Kobojunkie:
So, his wife, ontop of taking care of bills and children also goes out to hunt for jobs on his behalf? undecided
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by kkins25(m): 11:05am On Jun 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
So it costs almost minimum wage to get a session of therapy in the country and so reason why a depressed man would not wish to get treatment but the very same man would not hesitate to get married and have two children on top of that? Marriage and children cost a lot less, abi? undecided
You're asking why did the prisoner chose the bread over the key?
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by njelrapheal: 11:53am On Jun 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
This isn't about what rocks my boat but reality as it should be processed. You don't say because a man is depressed it is reason enough for him to neglect the family and children he took on responsibility of. It is not a reasonable or viable excuse at all. undecided

Who says it is. But you dont know ehat this issue really is. U are only assuming based on ehat u have been told. That is my point. I knoenu like to be right though hence the response of what ever rocks ur boat
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by njelrapheal: 11:55am On Jun 07, 2023
lomaxx:
[b]

She neither loves nor respects him. Which is justifiable given her version of events.

She's mentally out of the marriage. The marriage is done.

Word. I dont think women are capable of love though. Love to them means somone willing to take care of them. I dont fault that though as that is the natural setting for humans.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by kingthreat(m): 12:23pm On Jun 07, 2023
isabi2lof:
. So cheating dey pain men like this , all of una just dey shout , don't cheat, like say the woman na baby but if na man , you go advise the man make him cheat.

If na woman loose her job , she go dey struggle dey do all kinds of menial jobs , even if na factory work. Him he dey there dey find collar job ,dey claim I be graduate .

You just tried to degrade an intelligent comment with ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Kobojunkie: 1:34pm On Jun 07, 2023
lomaxx:
[b]■ She neither loves nor respects him. Which is justifiable given her version of events.

She's mentally out of the marriage. The marriage is done.
njelrapheal:
■ Word. I dont think women are capable of love though. Love to them means somone willing to take care of them. I dont fault that though as that is the natural setting for humans.
Do you even realize what love is? Not those chemicals in your brain force you into a deluded state when you fancy someone. Rather love is a set of rules — terms, and conditions— that make up the agreement that binds you and your partner in your relationship.(Yes, Love is a contract.) Once those rules are violated, the one who caused the violation is said to have no love in the relationship. undecided

In OP'S case, her husband is the one who would be incapable of love here going by his refusal, from the beginning to abide, by the terms and conditions of the relationship, the rules of engagement. His wife is simply responding after many years of carrying the relationship on her head alone. Make una dey try to reason these things well abeg! lipsrsealed
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by fekeoshomoshi: 1:35pm On Jun 07, 2023
I think the issue is, was the man supportive when he had job and what are his plans to get a new job or start a business or perhaps learn a skill and be engaged. Also be sure he his not battling any health issues, his circle of friends should be check too, their influence in his life could also affect him negatively.

You as a woman can never shoulder the responsibility alone, the role of a man/father in every matrimonial home cannot be overemphasized. you have started what you cannot cope with, forever is a long time to go.

Correct it now and take your stand by insisting he go get something legitimate doing and be consistent in it, las las hustle go pay everyone, at all at all na e bad.

Don't pack out, rule out divorce from your marriage for the sake of your children and avoid the social sigma of a divorcee, pray hard, God will intervene.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by fekeoshomoshi: 1:37pm On Jun 07, 2023
Giftedhands45:

I think the issue is, was the man supportive when he had job and what are his plans to get a new job or start a business or perhaps learn a skill and be engaged. Also be sure he his not battling any health issues, his circle of friends should be check too, their influence in his life could also affect him negatively.

You as a woman can never shoulder the responsibility alone, the role of a man/father in every matrimonial home cannot be overemphasized. you have started what you cannot cope with, forever is a long time to go.

Correct it now and take your stand by insisting he go get something legitimate doing and be consistent in it, las las hustle go pay everyone, at all at all na e bad.

Don't pack out, rule out divorce from your marriage for the sake of your children and avoid the social sigma of a divorcee, pray hard, God will intervene.

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Kobojunkie: 1:40pm On Jun 07, 2023
njelrapheal:
■ Who says it is. But you dont know ehat this issue really is. U are only assuming based on ehat u have been told. That is my point. I knoenu like to be right though hence the response of what ever rocks ur boat
Assuming what exactly? I said I am certain that it ain't mental illness to blame since mental illness does not cause any of the symptoms discussed in the OP. Rather, What she described is characterized by wickedness. I don't like to be right if there is even such thing. I simply know what I know and I can't be brow-beaten into pretending I don't. undecided
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On Jun 07, 2023
kkins25:
■ You're asking why did the prisoner chose the bread over the key?
No it ain't even close. This is a case of a conceited being doing as he pleases without worrying that he hurts his own progeny by it. It happens everyday worldover. undecided

1 Like

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Jun 07, 2023
Tompson88:
■ Not that kind job hunting, connection of a thing if possible
Woman never get connection to fix her own financial status, na to fix the man status ---without guarantee she will even see a penny if things pan out----she go dey run about for? undecided
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by unbiased2021: 1:50pm On Jun 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Well, if she called you unwise in regards to that tale you told of your ex, I would agree with her given that story no suppose see daylight at all as far as an educated man is concerned. How can you go carry "liability" woman come dey complain say she no do wetin you want make she do... grin

Normally you be junkie as your name implies
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by kokomilala(m): 2:19pm On Jun 07, 2023
@realtalk19, I don't know what you mean by I sound damaged. People just bang on words irresponsibly. Did u mean that I'm damaged spiritually, soul-wise, physically or emotionally? Well, I don't fall into any of these. And, I can't be bracketed into any either.

I deliberately didn't mention the op's husband, because it's a sacred union, and offering advice on a whim could worsen the situation. So, for me, it calls for patience and deep reflection from the woman, the man and the relatives in resolving the issue.

My response- which still stands- is that of spouses who are not married. Again, I posit that it's a cultural malaise and cancer that has eaten deep into the souls of our society. Its carcinogens can be seen in society today, where even teenage girls- who have unwittingly traded their destinies for 'a pot of porridge'- go about, as if entitled, making impossible demands of their so called boyfriends and assistant boyfriends etc, etc; a girlfriend from a wretched family makes demands she can't make of her father. She expects the bf to be both father and lover at the same time.

I've not seen anywhere in the world or in any culture where women pin all their trans generational burdens on men. They make relationships look like business proposals; they make relationships that should be enjoyed become bothersome, cumbersome, with every other somes in between.

Talking about husbands and wives, it's the man's responsibility to provide for the family financially and otherwise. However, God has not asked women to be useless or lazy or be overly dependent. Kudos to those women out there working their socks off for their families to eat. My heart goes out to those women under the bridge at Idumota, Orile, Boundary, Ojuelegba, etc, selling wosi- wosi, hustling from sun up to sun down. It is these women that I like to help. It's these women I can recommend for help or reward, not those irresponsible, high- maintenance, entitled liabilities, called women.

Proverbs 31 talks about the virtuous woman. But many women fail to read from 11 to 27.

1 Like

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Tompson88: 2:24pm On Jun 07, 2023
My take is, she should not make a quick conclusion on that,the husband might be going through a lot having no job,the woman should trash out the current situation in the best possible way,then watch what comes out of the expected change status of the husband whenever he gets job before she decides.
Kobojunkie:
Woman never get connection to fix her own financial status, na to fix the man status ---without guarantee she will even see a penny if things pan out----she go dey run about for? undecided
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Kobojunkie: 2:26pm On Jun 07, 2023
Tompson88:
■ My take is, she should not make a quick conclusion on that,the husband might be going through a lot having no job,the woman should trash out the current situation in the best possible way,then watch what comes out of the expected change status of the husband whenever he gets job before she decides.
Going through a lot for how many years and keeping his wife in the dark about it for that long? undecided

Most of you wey dey talk here, I bet if you found yourselves in similar situation, before one year don pass, you don pack up move on be that. undecided
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by manigold: 3:30pm On Jun 07, 2023
Examined her story closely. You dated him, he wasn't supportive. You married him, he has been nonchalant even when he had some money. Now even after two kids. Why can't anyone see that she dragged an unwilling man into marriage. It's not that she herself was doing very well to suppose that he was a gold digger. She forced him into the union he's unwilling to dwell in. He just wants to over with. NO LOVING MAN WILL BE THIS INDIFFERENT TO HIS WIFE AND KIDS. ACTUALLY, HE LOVES HIS KIDS, prolly tired of shagging a desperate lady who just wanted a husband and is blind to anything else. I'm surprise she's complaining now. Divorce will not help you. You will only be playing into his hands.
If infact this is the case, hmmmm I can only pity you.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by lomaxx: 4:47pm On Jun 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
... Do you even realize whst love is? It's not those chemicals in your brain that force you into a deluded state. Rather love is a set of rules that make up the agreement by which your relationships are bound by. Once thozs rules are violated, the one who caused the violation is the one said to have no love in the relationship. undecided

In OP'S cases, her husband is the one who would seem incapable of love herr going by his reusable from the beginning to abide by the rules of engagement here. His wife is simply responding after many years of carrying the relationship on her head alone. Make una dey try reason these things well abeg! lipsrsealed

The marriage is done.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by lomaxx: 4:48pm On Jun 07, 2023
njelrapheal:

Word. I dont think women are capable of love though. Love to them means somone willing to take care of them. I dont fault that though as that is the natural setting for humans.

You have a point
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by qtguru(m): 5:51pm On Jun 07, 2023
Occurred to me we have lazy men on NL, some of your views are strange.

So make husband dey sleep morning to night doing nothing ?

Chai

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by njelrapheal: 6:17pm On Jun 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
... Do you even realize what love is? Not those chemicals in your brain force you into a deluded state when you fancy someone. Rather love is a set of rules — terms, and conditions— that make up the agreement that binds you and your partner in your relationship.(Yes, Love is a contract.) Once those rules are violated, the one who caused the violation is said to have no love in the relationship. undecided

In OP'S case, her husband is the one who would be incapable of love here going by his refusal, from the beginning to abide, by the terms and conditions of the relationship, the rules of engagement. His wife is simply responding after many years of carrying the relationship on her head alone. Make una dey try to reason these things well abeg! lipsrsealed

Baba i for like address all thesr but i no even get strenght to read am. I will pass.
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by realtalk19: 8:32pm On Jun 07, 2023
kokomilala:
@realtalk19, I don't know what you mean by I sound damaged. People just bang on words irresponsibly. Did u mean that I'm damaged spiritually, soul-wise, physically or emotionally? Well, I don't fall into any of these. And, I can't be bracketed into any either.

I deliberately didn't mention the op's husband, because it's a sacred union, and offering advice on a whim could worsen the situation. So, for me, it calls for patience and deep reflection from the woman, the man and the relatives in resolving the issue.

My response- which still stands- is that of spouses who are not married. Again, I posit that it's a cultural malaise and cancer that has eaten deep into the souls of our society. Its carcinogens can be seen in society today, where even teenage girls- who have unwittingly traded their destinies for 'a pot of porridge'- go about, as if entitled, making impossible demands of their so called boyfriends and assistant boyfriends etc, etc; a girlfriend from a wretched family makes demands she can't make of her father. She expects the bf to be both father and lover at the same time.

I've not seen anywhere in the world or in any culture where women pin all their trans generational burdens on men. They make relationships look like business proposals; they make relationships that should be enjoyed become bothersome, cumbersome, with every other somes in between.

Talking about husbands and wives, it's the man's responsibility to provide for the family financially and otherwise. However, God has not asked women to be useless or lazy or be overly dependent. Kudos to those women out there working their socks off for their families to eat. My heart goes out to those women under the bridge at Idumota, Orile, Boundary, Ojuelegba, etc, selling wosi- wosi, hustling from sun up to sun down. It is these women that I like to help. It's these women I can recommend for help or reward, not those irresponsible, high- maintenance, entitled liabilities, called women.

Proverbs 31 talks about the virtuous woman. But many women fail to read from 11 to 27.

Mshewww
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by realtalk19: 8:36pm On Jun 07, 2023
Lanre1st:
This is a serious issues threatening many families.

Have you ever study, ask or observe the reason for him refusing to work. At least you must have his attitude to work before and after marriage. You need to discuss it even if it needs a counsellor to intervain.

Also, thinking of seeing another man who can support is not an option it will only complicate the issue. Instead, start seeing yourself as a man who has responsibilities to do and family to support.

Lastly, don't quickly take divorce as option, the responsibility doesn't disappear with divorce, it only increases it, atleast your children can stay with their dady while you go about with you business. Staying alone brings loneliness and depression

What does staying with the husband that refused to get a job brings?

Joy and happiness I guess
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Lanre1st(m): 11:23pm On Jun 07, 2023
realtalk19:

What does staying with the husband that refused to get a job brings?

Joy and happiness I guess

It brings companionship.

See that is where we are getting it wrong big time nowadays, being in marriage does not turn a man to money machines. If you ever hear from those madam that lack who to hug, cuddle them, share their day with, you will know what is inside marriage is more than money. Even sex is expensive to those that have no legal access
Re: Leaving A Marriage Because He's Not Taking Responsibilities, Make Me Bad? by Princessdainty(m): 11:31pm On Jun 07, 2023
Giftedhands45:

how come you were able to procreate 2kids..I see black women don't love themselves. Una like to experiment with struggle love.
You're in for a long ride though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

How Do You Handle Moms And Their Unending WhatsApp Broadcast? / 5 Sure Ways To Stop Feeling Insecure In Your Relationships / What Made You Divorce Your Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.