Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,899 members, 7,828,169 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. (3667 Views)

If An Atheists Goes For Interview, What Will He/she Choose As Religion / Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? / Sexual Orientations And Objective Morality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 7:00pm On Jun 10, 2023
LordReed:

Do you think all combantants should be killed?
Why not just live them alone why taking them as prisoners?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by budaatum: 7:05pm On Jun 10, 2023
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 7:32pm On Jun 10, 2023
Steep:
Why not just live them alone why taking them as prisoners?

What do you mean leave them alone? Leave them to continue fighting?

2 Likes

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 7:39pm On Jun 10, 2023
Steep:
It's the other way round, because morality is objective God works to bring people out of sin.
If morality is subjective then everyone is right and should stay the way they are.

that is because you don't know what objective morality or subjective morality is.

Actually is you who doesn't know what you are talking about. Once you introduce any form exception whether its for era or society you have made it subjective. If it was objective as you say then there'd be nothing like oh it was that time, they couldn't do otherwise. Why couldn't the god tell them stop slavery now, the same god that told them don't eat shell fish but you want us to believe the god couldn't say STOP SLAVERY NOW.

Because morality is subjective we all should be in dialog to find out what is best for us individually and collectively, not imposing dumbarse nonsense from centuries ago in the name of religion or some god.

3 Likes

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by ReacherSaidNoth: 7:51pm On Jun 10, 2023
This entire thread is like a demonstration of what happens when you try to fill a basket with water.

2 Likes

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 7:57pm On Jun 10, 2023
LordReed:

What do you mean leave them alone? Leave them to continue fighting?
You have just shot yourself on your foot! So in modern times prisoners could be taken but refuse to the fact that war captives were actually taken in ancient times?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 7:59pm On Jun 10, 2023
See what religion is turning you into. You’re not incoherent again.

1 Like

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 8:12pm On Jun 10, 2023
LordReed:

Actually is you who doesn't know what you are talking about. Once you introduce any form exception whether its for era or society you have made it subjective. If it was objective as you say then there'd be nothing like oh it was that time, they couldn't do otherwise. Why couldn't the god tell them stop slavery now, the same god that told them don't eat shell fish but you want us to believe the god couldn't say STOP SLAVERY NOW.
Yes God did! However, not directly.

Leviticus 19:34 But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 25:42 For they are my servants, which I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: they shall not be sold as bondmen.

God told israel they should not deal on slave trade.
Remember both the stranger and the fellow Israelites should be treated the same.

Israelites bought slaves from slave traders to relieve the slaves.

Because morality is subjective we all should be in dialog to find out what is best for us individually and collectively, not imposing dumbarse nonsense from centuries ago in the name of religion or some god.
If morality is subjective then everybody is right. You cannot tell anyone that he or she is wrong .
We can only dialogue is there is an objective standard.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2023
Steep:

You have just shot yourself on your foot! So in modern times prisoners could be taken but refuse to the fact that war captives were actually taken in ancient times?

Huh? This statement makes no sense.

1 Like

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 9:20pm On Jun 10, 2023
LordReed:

You are not making any sense
This doesn't make sense! Exception does not imply subjectivity.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by budaatum: 10:05pm On Jun 10, 2023
Steep:

Exception does imply non-universality though. You just need to watch out for black swans.

1 Like

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 10:18pm On Jun 10, 2023
Steep:

You are not making any sense

That's exactly what it means. It is you who can't glean sense.

1 Like

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by budaatum: 10:28pm On Jun 10, 2023
LordReed:

That's exactly what it means. It is you who can't glean sense.

Forgive me not saying greetings my Lord. You on my mind and in my heart always.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 10:32pm On Jun 10, 2023
Steep:

Leviticus 19:34 But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 25:42 For they are my servants, which I brought forth out of the land of Egypt: they shall not be sold as bondmen.

Remember both the stranger and the fellow Israelites should be treated the same.

Are you turning to lies or are you just plain ignorant.

Leviticus 25:42
Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they must not be sold as slaves.
Leviticus 25:44
“‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
Leviticus 25:46
You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life,

Very plainly it says it is the Israelites that are not to be sold as slaves while slaves from other nations are to be viewed as property FOR LIFE.

If morality is subjective then everybody is right. You cannot tell anyone that he or she is wrong .

Morality is indeed subjective and everyone has the right to choose but if you want to live amongst people then you must acknowledge other people's right to choose too. May be for people like you who want to dictate your god and religious views to other people dialog would seem weird. What is there to dialog when you just tell people what is moral and if they don’t agree with you call them devils. LoLz.

2 Likes

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 10:34pm On Jun 10, 2023
budaatum:

Forgive me not saying greetings my Lord. You on my mind and in my heart always.

My dear buda just seeing you here is enough to gladden my heart for I know someone is about to receive some spit, mud and bath in the pool of Siloam. LoLz.

How have you been?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by budaatum: 11:03pm On Jun 10, 2023
LordReed:

My dear buda just seeing you here is enough to gladden my heart for I know someone is about to receive some spit, mud and bath in the pool of Siloam. LoLz.

How have you been?

I been good. Sun's out so even better. You?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 12:08am On Jun 11, 2023
budaatum:

I been good. Sun's out so even better. You?

Pretty good thanks. wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 6:23am On Jun 11, 2023
Morality is indeed subjective and everyone has the right to choose but if you want to live amongst people then you must acknowledge other people's right to choose too. May be for people like you who want to dictate your god and religious views to other people dialog would seem weird. What is there to dialog when you just tell people what is moral and if they don’t agree with you call them devils. LoLz.
You are back again to the real issue, so if the society agree that rape is good then it is OK?

Again m, if everybody agree that something is wrong or right, that means morality in that society is no longer subjective right?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by KnownUnknown: 6:44am On Jun 11, 2023
Steep:

The notion that the god of the Hebrews is against slavery or scaring the Hebrews from slavery is a well worn lie. Apart from the fact that it is the same god “saving” them from the predicament he placed them in, the idea that this god is against slavery is ridiculous. The people who created him weren’t against slavery afterall.
After he saves them from Egypt this is his first instructions:
Passover Restrictions

43 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover meal:

“No foreigner may eat it. 44 Any slave you have bought may eat it after you have circumcised him, 45 but a temporary resident or a hired worker may not eat it.

The dude is more concerned about the Passover mass murder meal than anything else. He is more concerned about the slave’s foreskin than his freedom or dignity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 7:05am On Jun 11, 2023
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 9:06am On Jun 11, 2023
LordReed:

Are you turning to lies or are you just plain ignorant.

Leviticus 25:42
Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they must not be sold as slaves.
Leviticus 25:44
“‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
Leviticus 25:46
You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life,

Very plainly it says it is the Israelites that are not to be sold as slaves while slaves from other nations are to be viewed as property FOR LIFE.

Israelities could buy slaves from outside Israel which was a form of God's judgment for their wicked ways.
Just as a judge can take a murderers life even though take one's life is objectively wrong.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 9:37am On Jun 11, 2023
Steep:
Israelities could buy slaves from outside Israel which was a form of God's judgment for their wicked ways.
Just as a judge can take a murderers life even though take one's life is objectively wrong.

Can you hear yourself? Now it is on to justifying slavery in the name of your god. Pathetic.

It still makes it INCREDIBLY SUBJECTIVE, you did nothing but make that abundantly clear.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 9:39am On Jun 11, 2023
Steep:
In some instances slavery is not objectively wrong right cheesy

2 Likes

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 9:39am On Jun 11, 2023
KnownUnknown:

The notion that the god of the Hebrews was against slavery of scaring the Hebrews from slavery is a well worn lie. Apart from the fact that it is the same god “saving” them from the predicament he placed them in, the idea that this god is against slavery is ridiculous. The people who created him weren’t against slavery afterall.
After he saves them from Egypt this is his first instructions:
Passover Restrictions

43 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover meal:

“No foreigner may eat it. 44 Any slave you have bought may eat it after you have circumcised him, 45 but a temporary resident or a hired worker may not eat it.

The dude is more concerned about the Passover mass murder meal than anything else. He is more concerned about the slave’s foreskin than his freedom or dignity.

Many of them become discombobulated once they begin to come up to this part of the Bible. Look at Steep struggling to justify slavery in the name of his God. Disgusting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 1:54pm On Jun 11, 2023
LordReed:

Can you hear yourself? Now it is on to justifying slavery in the name of your god. Pathetic.

It still makes it INCREDIBLY SUBJECTIVE, you did nothing but make that abundantly clear.
So, of a judge sentence a murderer to death it means murder is subjective?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2023
Steep:

So, of a judge sentence a murderer to death it means murder is subjective?

No it means killing is subjective. Murder is a legal term to describe unsanctioned killing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2023
Maynmann:

In some instances slavery is not objectively wrong right cheesy
So if a Judge Judge sentence a criminal to death it means committing murder is subjective?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 1:59pm On Jun 11, 2023
LordReed:

No it means killing is subjective. Murder is a legal term to describe unsanctioned killing.
is murder subjective?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 2:18pm On Jun 11, 2023
Steep:
is murder subjective?

Murder already means unsanctioned killing, you have already passed judegement to say it is wrong. It is like asking if wrong is wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 2:24pm On Jun 11, 2023
LordReed:

Murder already means unsanctioned killing, you have already passed judegement to say it is wrong. It is like asking if wrong is wrong.
Simple question, is murder objective or subjective?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by LordReed(m): 3:52pm On Jun 11, 2023
Steep:
Simple question, is murder objective or subjective?

LordReed:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 4:03pm On Jun 11, 2023
Steep:

So if a Judge Judge sentence a criminal to death it means committing murder is subjective?

Yes, some countries don’t allow death sentences no matter the offence.
Even in countries that does death sentences, Have you forgotten we have different degrees of murder and not all warrant the criminal should be killed.

Also the idea of a judge and a court is a gradual human thinking, when israelites were killing women because they were SEDUCING them, which judge ruled it?

Killing someone after they killed someone, what’s the morality behind it?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Prayer line ( USA ) / Why So Many People Die This Year? / Be nice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.