Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,093 members, 7,835,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. (3693 Views)

If An Atheists Goes For Interview, What Will He/she Choose As Religion / Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? / Sexual Orientations And Objective Morality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 9:51pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

Is something good because yahweh decrees it to be good, or does yahweh decree something to be good because it is in good in itself?

You will be a rapist if your god told you to be, you don’t know what morality means

If God says rape is good then it will be good. My question is, can you from an atheistic world view establish why rape is bad?

As a theist I believe God exist and as God he alone decide what is right and wrong because he created all things.
A Mercedes car makes a car an add the manual on how to operate the car, you don't go about ranting why Mercedes company should be the one dictating how the car should be driven and the maintenance of it.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 9:52pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:

If God says rape is good then it will be good. My question is, hopefullandlord
can you from an atheistic world view establish why rape is bad?

As a theist I believe God exist and as God he alone decide what is right and wrong because he created all things.
A Mercedes car makes a car an add the manual on how to operate the car, you don't go about ranting why Mercedes company should be the one dictating how the car should be driven and the maintenance of it.
What makes a thing good if your god can say rape is good?
If someone is deciding what is wrong or bad then how can we call that person a good god, since he is always changing and deciding what’s good and bad?
And how is that “objective morality”?

A mercedes car does not have a free will.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 9:53pm On Jun 08, 2023
hopefulLandlord:

stay on track my friend. so you're saying what makes these things wrong is because it's universally wrong?
My world view is that God created everybody so doing harm to anybody is wrong universally, atheism has no room for this.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 9:54pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
My world view is that God created everybody so doing harm to anybody is wrong universally, atheism has no room for this.
Why did elijah kill those little kids then?

1 Like

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 9:55pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

What makes a thing good if your god can say rape is good?
And how is that “objective morality”?

A mercedes car does not have a free will.
If God make rape to be a good thing then rape becomes good, ultimately without God no basis for morality.

what is the basis of morality as an atheist?
But free will does not exist in the atheistic world view.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 9:56pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

Why did elijah kill those little kids then?
yes but God did not command him to do so.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 9:57pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
I don’t need a basis to not be a rapist like you, if your god said rape is good then is good, so what’s the basis of your morality then?

How can you have free will when your god is omniscience?

2 Likes

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 9:58pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
yes but God did not command him to do so.
Who granted his command to kill those kids?
Where was the “universal morality” then?
Is elijah not a theist?

1 Like

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:00pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
If God make rape to be a good thing then rape becomes good, ultimately without God no basis for morality.

So nothing is good or bad then except what your god says, why call him a good god then if he decides what is good and bad?

I don’t need a basis to not be a rapist unlike you.

1 Like

Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:00pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

I don’t need a basis to not be a rapist like you, if your god said rape is good then is good, so what’s the basis of your morality then?

How can you have free will when your god is omniscience?
You have no basis for it, the only reason you don't rape is because of your conscience, which God placed in you.
A lion does not know whether rape is good or bad, nether does a chimp but you know because you are made in God's image.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:01pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

So nothing is good or bad then except what your god says, why call him a good god then if he decides what is good and bad?

I don’t need a basis to not be a rapist unlike you.
He is good because apart from his laws he gave mean a mind and free will to determine the truth and verify his goodness.

Not only, does his law says love your neighbour as thyself but I have also found out that love is good for all humans because it carters to well being of others.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:02pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:

You have no basis for it, the only reason you don't rape is because of your conscience, which God placed in you.
A lion does not know whether rape is good or bad, nether does a chimp but you know because you are made in God's image.

But according to you if god said rape is good my conscience would have said rape is good right?

Why did david rape another man’s wife, was he not created in elohim image?

According to you, rape itself is neither good or bad, your god decides which is at some time and another time
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:02pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:

He is good because apart from his laws he gave mean a mind and free will to determine the truth and verify his goodness.
How is he good if he is the one deciding what is good and bad?
He can decide rape is good and he will still be good abi
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:05pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

But according to you if god said rape is good my conscience would have said rape is good right?

Why did david rape another man’s wife, was he not created in elohim image?
exactly, that is why it would be contradictory to his nature as a loving God. However, if God does not exist humans would have no value inherently and so love or hate will make no difference ultimately.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:06pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
exactly, that is why it would be contradictory to his nature as a loving God. However m, if God does not exist humans would have no value inherently and so love or hate will make no difference ultimately.
Is he under the law of love?
Or he decides what is love and hate?
Does love and hate exist without yahweh?
Or he is the one that decides what is love and hate?
He can also decide rape is a lovely thing and he will still be a loving god.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:07pm On Jun 08, 2023
God is a loving God that is why he created us with mind and free will.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:08pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
God is a loving God that is why he created us with mind and free will.
Does your god know everything?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:09pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

Is he under the law of love?
Or he decides what is love and hate?
Does love and hate exist without yahweh?
Or he is the one that decides what is love and hate?
No God is love personified

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
Just as he is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, so he is all loving, all righteous all holy, etc
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:09pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

Does your god know everything?
yes God knows all things.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:11pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
No God is love personified

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
Just as he is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, so he is all loving, all righteous all holy, etc
So your god decides what love is?
He can say rape is love, just like you said earlier that he can say rape is a good thing abi
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:11pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
yes God knows all things.
How then do you have free will?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:16pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

So your god decides what love is?
He can say rape is love, just like you said earlier that he can say rape is a good thing abi
love is God's nature, God cannot say so because rape is contrary to his nature.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:16pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

How then do you have free will?
apples and oranges.
God knows all things but allows us exercise our free will.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:17pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
apples and oranges.
God knows all things but allows us exercise our free will.
“But”
If he knows all things how did you exercise your free will?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:18pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
love is God's nature, God cannot say so because rape is contrary to his nature.
What makes rape contrary to his nature?
So he does not the power to say rape is good, is he also under the universally law?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:19pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

If he knows all things how did you exercise your free will?
Take for example, you know someone would brake the glass table and he broke the table does that mean he or she doesn't have free will?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:20pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

What makes rape contrary to his nature?
So he does not the power to say rape is good, is he also under the universally law?
because love means seeking the good and well fair of others.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:21pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
Take for example, you know your child would brake the glass table and he broke the table does that mean your son doesn't have free will?

How did you know your child would break it?
Am I Omniscience?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:21pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
because love means seeking the good and well fair of others.
Good, So if i lie to save myself from death how is it wrong?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:22pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

How did you know your child would break it?
Am I Omniscience?
It is just and analogy, you know that at a certain time rain would fall does that mean you caused the rain?
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Maynmann: 10:23pm On Jun 08, 2023
Steep:
It is just and analogy, you know that at a certain time rain would fall does that mean you caused the rain?
No, if I know the EXACT time, where and how the rain will fall, EXACT time it will stop, that means i caused it.
I am omniscience, i planned everything.
Re: You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. by Steep(m): 10:25pm On Jun 08, 2023
Maynmann:

No, if I know the EXACT time, where and how the rain will fall, EXACT time it will stop, that means i caused it.
I am omniscience, i planned everything.
So going by your logic m, scientist who knows when, and exact time, where eclipse would occur cursed eclipse right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Holy Week Journey To The Cross / Hebrew Heeboe Eeboe Ibo / How Insignificant/significant Are We?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.