Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,985 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes (43566 Views)

Lagos Indigenes Kick Against Other South-west States Coming To 'hijack' Governor / No Man’s Land: Rhodes Vivour Cautions Obasa Against Divisive Laws / Amotekun Proposed Law: Wale Fapohunda Says Personnel Will Have Powers To Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 12:03am On Jun 15, 2023
ogunijebu18:

It was never part of Benin.
All the earliest maps of the region show Lagos as being part of Benin kingdom.
ogunijebu18:

If it was they wouldn’t be Yorubas and speak Yoruba but Edo. It was never Benin.
well the true indigenous people of Lagos are not Yoruba, I'm glad we agree on that. As for speculations about language, I think they are best left as speculation, Lagos was submerged with foreign and local slaves when the British took it away from Benin and when you submerge a place with foreigners, the language tends to change a lot. Also Benin kingdom spoke many languages.
ogunijebu18:

The British colonized Benin city so are their indigenous now British. That’s how dumb you sound
Your lack of knowledge about history is amazing, I bet you don't know nor understand that Benin city and Benin kingdom are two different things. Do you understand that England and London are two different things ?
Lagos was a part of Benin kingdom as witnessed right in the 1400's, it was only separated from Benin kingdom after 1860 when the British took it away and flooded it with foreign and local slaves. (Who now call themselves Yoruba)
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 12:06am On Jun 15, 2023
ogunijebu18:

I’m not a fanatic. YOU ARE. Even the British called the Lagos people Yoruba. You’re just making things up. You won’t say it offline I bet. We don’t speak Edo in Lagos
I know the British are like God to you yoruba, but to me they are mere human beings. I have shown you proof that Lagos was a part of Benin kingdom. End of story.
By the way, your gods the British referred to the monarchy of Lagos as "house of Ado".
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 12:11am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

All the earliest maps of the region show Lagos as being part of Benin kingdom.
well the true indigenous people of Lagos are not Yoruba, I'm glad we agree on that. As for speculations about language, I think they are best left as speculation, Lagos was submerged with foreign and local slaves when the British took it away from Benin and when you submerge a place with foreigners, the language tends to change a lot.

Your lack of knowledge about history is amazing, I bet you don't know nor understand that Benin city and Benin kingdom are two different things. Do you understand that England and London are two different things ?
Lagos was a part of Benin kingdom as witnessed right in the 1400's, it was only separated from Benin kingdom after 1860 when the British took it away and flooded it with foreign and local slaves.
The true lagosian are Yoruba. Not Benin. Benin are indigenous to Benin city not Lagos. My ijebu people were there before those people. You say the British took it from them like it was ever theirs in the first place. Benin was never an empire just arrogant idiots online spreading false history. The British empire was a real empire that’s why we’re speaking English right now. Benin are nothing. What is the meaning of Benin? No lagosian claims they’re from Benin. Some claim root to fishermen in modern Ogun and some say they fled from republic of Benin. No one says there from Benin (Edo)
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 12:14am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

I know the British are like God to you yoruba, but to me they are mere human beings. I have shown you proof that Lagos was a part of Benin kingdom. End of story.
By the way, your gods the British referred to the monarchy of Lagos as "house of Ado".
Let us know when the oba of Lagos regards himself as an Edo and not Yoruba. Continue with the lies. The oba of Benin is from Yoruba. It’s Yoruba who owns benin.

Benin this that. look up the origin of so called Benin. Liars
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 12:18am On Jun 15, 2023
ogunijebu18:

The true lagosian are Yoruba. Not Benin. Benin are indigenous to Benin city not Lagos. My ijebu people were there before those people. You say the British took it from them like it was ever theirs in the first place. Benin was never an empire just arrogant idiots online spreading false history. The British empire was a real empire that’s why we’re speaking English right now. Benin are nothing. What is the meaning of Benin? No lagosian claims they’re from Benin. Some claim root to fishermen in modern Ogun and some say they fled from republic of Benin. No one says there from Benin (Edo)
Wow, it seems you are a kid.
Ask yourself this question: the map which I provided, was it made by some idiots online ?
Ogun ?🤣 It seems you don't understand the concept of time, Ogun state was created during postcolonial Nigeria. So nobody migrated from Ogun state.
It seems you still have problems understanding that Benin city is to Benin kingdom what London is to the UK.

By the way, Benin Republic was named such around 1970, so nobody migrated from there neither, guess where Benin Republic got its name from ?
Yeap Benin kingdom !

You know nothing about the topic, and don't accept facts and logic, instead you keep pouring your emotions and your uneducated beliefs.

This is just an other case of an arrogant ignoramus who thought he was very knowledgeable and mistook his beliefs for knowledge.

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 12:34am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

Wow, it seems you are a kid.
Ask yourself this question: the map which I provided, was it made by some idiots online ?
Ogun ?🤣 It seems you don't understand the concept of time, Ogun state was created during postcolonial Nigeria. So nobody migrated from Ogun state.
It seems you still have problems understanding that Benin city is to Benin kingdom what London is to the UK.

By the way, Benin Republic was named such around 1970, so nobody migrated from there neither, guess where Benin Republic got its name from ?
Yeap Benin kingdom !

You know nothing about the topic, and don't accept facts and logic, instead you keep pouring your emotions and your uneducated beliefs.

This is just an other case of an arrogant ignoramus who thought he was very knowledgeable and mistook his beliefs for knowledge.
Yes that’s why I wrote MODERN Ogun state if you could read. Before that it was awori egun who are the Lagos people. What is the meaning of Benin? Who is Benin? Think about that very hard. Eventually your slow brain will get it. Oba is called of LAGOS or EKO. Not BENIN. If it was part of Benin kingdom then why do they have their own king?
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 12:42am On Jun 15, 2023
ogunijebu18:

Yes that’s why I wrote MODERN Ogun state if you could read.
Look, I'm more educated and smarter than you. Right now I'm giving you lessons for free, the least you could do is be polite.
Saying modern Ogun makes is even worse, you are only showing that you know nothing of what you talk about.
ogunijebu18:

Before that it was ijebu awori egun who are the Lagos people.
once again you just write out your unsubstantiated beliefs and confuse that with actual knowledge.
ogunijebu18:

If it was part of Benin kingdom then why do they have their own king?
Well a real kingdom has 1 king and many dukes, you see, one king can't be everywhere at once, he resides in the capital of the country and his dukes represent his authority in the dukedoms.
You really don't know much, the Eleko was the representative of the Oba's authority in Lagos.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 12:48am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

Look, I'm more educated and smarter than you. Right now I'm giving you lessons for free, the least you could do is be polite.
Saying modern Ogun makes it even worse, you are only showing that you know nothing of what you talk about.
once again you just write out your unsubstantiated beliefs and confuse that with actual knowledge.

Well a real kingdom has 1 king and many dukes, you see, one king can't be everywhere at once, he resides in the capital of the country and his dukes represent his authority in the dukedoms.
You really don't know much, the Eleko was the representative of the Oba's authority in Lagos.
The oba of Lagos is a king not a duke. You’ve been exposed. And he traces origin to awori tribe. Edo are not Lagos.
Actually read your history. Most of Lagos is awori while bagadary is egun and ikorodu epe lekki etc are ijebu
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 12:52am On Jun 15, 2023
ogunijebu18:

The oba of Lagos is a king not a duke. You’ve been exposed. And he traces origin to awori tribe. Edo are not Lagos
1) Even the Oba of Lagos (previously known as the Eleko) agrees with what I said.
2) you missed this:
Stoplying:
Eyewitness writen precolonial text stating clearly that Lagos belongs to Benin:

"Captain Horseley called it Eco, and that is how the yebous refer to it; but it is not their land: it belongs to Benin, whom have named it Korame, you can recognise the Curamo from older Portuguese reports, just like Eko represents the Ichoo from Holland Hydrographs. Long ago Korame was linked to its metropolis by a very narrow piece of land contained between the great Laguna and the sea; but it has been a while since the Yebous have seazed that very narrow piece of land of which the eastern extremity was invaded by ouyo pirates; and Karamé remained isolated at the extremity of the great Laguna, while it continues to receive from Benin it's governor or political chief."

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5806879x.r=Y%C3%A9bou?rk=21459;2

Precolonial map of the region showing that Lagos (in its currents form) and its environs were part of Benin (see below)
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=150215;2

Conclusion: Lagos and its environs were part of Benin.

I am not interested in debating things which have already been proven. Also I am not interested in talking to people whom have been harrassing me. (I also want to add that I am actually the only person whom has commented here who actually speaks french and that I am the person who posted the french caption and the book from which it is to nairaland. Some delusional people who don't speak a word of frecnh were trying to "debate" me on the translation of the text several months ago. Fools can only fool other fools.)

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 12:54am On Jun 15, 2023
Now that was my last reply to you. You know nothing about history. I have sacrificed more than 1 hour of my life to teach you for free, now leave me alone.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 1:00am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

1) Even the Oba of Lagos (previously known as the Eleko) agrees with what I said.
2) you missed this:
He does? 😂😂😂. It doesn’t belong to Benin just get over it. They literally have no claim over Lagos. Oba of Lagos is an awori man not Edo. Awori are Yoruba
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 1:02am On Jun 15, 2023
It seems you were born yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvaiC_djW8o
Now, you will be ignored forever.
Learn more and don't mention me anymore.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 1:07am On Jun 15, 2023
Don't get me wrong: in the structure of Nigeria, the Oba of Lagos is as much a king as the sultan of Sokoto is. Historically however he was a Duke of Benin kingdom, or if you like, he was a king of Benin empire, his kingdom was part of Benin empire.
The authority of the Oba of Lagos was just as much as that of the Olu of Warri, yet sn other vassal to the Oba if Benin. Benin dukes were more powerful than many independent kings of the region (like the Alafin)
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 1:08am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:
It seems you were born yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvaiC_djW8o
Now, you will be ignored forever.
Learn more and don't mention me anymore.
Seems you can’t read. Salute makes him his duke 😂. Notice the language of the song is in YORUBA. The oba of Benin does burial in IFE as well. I doubt you are Yoruba or Edo anyway. It’s good that you’re interested in our rich history
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 1:13am On Jun 15, 2023
It is getting tiring to debunk the Ife genesis fairytale. In the past ten years, I must have debunked it 500 times, it seems there is always one Yoruba whom is ignorant enough to just come and repeat the unsubstantiated claim.
Look, there is no proof that any Oba of Benin was ever buried in Ife. Also stop guessing my ethnicity (I don't need to claim any ethnicity, all I need is to prove what I say) and stop confusing your belief with knowledge. It is strange how you have made several unsubstantiated claims, even disproven ones, you've been called out on them, yet you just keep making more unsubstantiated claims.
The only place outside of Benin city in which the Oba of Benin is recorded to have been buried is Kalabar.

I will give you one thing, I'm definitely not a Yoruba.
I really don't care about "Yoruba history", but given that Yoruba lie all the time and confuse fairytales with history, I had to do my own research if only to just stop the constant lies. Besides Lagos history is not yoruba history.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 1:25am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:
It is getting tiring to debunk the Ife genesis fairytale. In the past ten years, I must have debunked it 500 times, it seems there is always one Yoruba whom is ignorant enough to just come and repeat the unsubstantiated claim.
Look, there is no proof that any Oba of Benin was ever buried in Ife. Also stop guessing my ethnicity (I don't need to claim any ethnicity, all I need is to prove what I say) and stop confusing your belief with knowledge. It is strange how you have made several unsubstantiated claims, even disproven ones, you've been called out on them, yet you just keep making more unsubstantiated claims.
The only place outside of Benin city in which the Oba of Benin is recorded to have been buried is Kalabar.

I will give you one thing, I'm definitely a Yoruba.
I really don't care about "Yoruba history", but given that Yoruba lie all the time and confuse fairytales with history, I had to do my own research if only to just stop the constant lies. Besides Lagos history is not yoruba history.
scholes0:
@Bigfrancis
Evidence 1.
Both Benin and Yoruba history corroborate the facts that every third Benin Oba used to be taken to Ife, some say just the head, others say the whole body- but both agree with the burial at Ife.
According to Egharevba the popular Benin historian, the practice seem to have been stopped before the British expedition and subsequent conquest of Benin. But it DID happen.

In Fact the Oba of Benin was said to recognize the Ooni's spiritual sovereignty, even though that later became nominal.

Evidence 2
Their Divinition comes from Ife

Evidence 3.
Their crafts come from Ife

A:

B:

Evidence 4.
Their History and Mythology has always acknowledged Ife and Other Yoruba obas

Edos are always VERY QUICK to attack Yoruba version of history, BUT they have NEVER ever for once told us where the Edos come from.
Christians say God created the world in 6 days and "rested" on the 7th, Yorubas say Oduduwa created the world starting from Ife, while Obatala created man... Edos never tell us anything. All they do is attack Yoruba history, while actually telling us nothing about their own Origins. Okay if Oduduwa was not a Yoruba character like the Benin's claim, then where did the Benin's themselves or the Ogisos, who like Oduduwa are also Semi-mythical characters come from?
It is easy for people to laugh at one explanation to a theory as "not making common sense" while providing no alternative explanation. That is what scientologists do when they attack religion.

This Esogban has a penchant for stirring the fish stew and causing trouble, him, together with the likes of the Alake of Egba who went about the unsolicited business of ranking Obas. If He wants to totally de-link the Benin/Edo history from Yorubas, Abeg let him just say that and let us all rest. Haba. This is just revisionist history at its best.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 1:31am On Jun 15, 2023
ogunijebu18:
Do you understand the word "unsubstantiated" ?
It seems you don't, you go from one unsubstantiated claim to an other... Now you are just quoting an other nairzlznder whom is quoting an unidentified piece of paper, where is proof for the claims ?
And proof doesn't mean you get yet another unsubstantiated claim.
Oh I see, the paper is the work of egherevba, whom I suppose I should believe without any proof, I'm getting tired of this nonsense.
"Egherevba said it" is not considered a proof !
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 1:39am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

Do you understand the word "unsubstantiated" ?
It seems you don't, you go from one unsubstantiated claim to sn other... Now you are just quoting an other nairzlznder whom is quoting an unidentified piece of paper, where is proof for the claims ?
And proof doesn't mean you get yet another unsubstantiated claim.
Oh I see, the paper is the work of egherevba, whom I suppose I should believe without any proof, I'm getting tired of this nonsense.
"Egherevba said it" is not considered a proof !
Awori are Lagos island ijebu are the mainland. Bini are not from the Lagos
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 1:41am On Jun 15, 2023
I can't waste my life arguing with a person who lacks basic knowledge and logic and fanatically repeats his unsubstantiated beliefs.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 5:19am On Jun 15, 2023
We are talking about history and this one brings up cartoon characters like oduduwa and ogiso. Why am I not surprised?
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 15, 2023
Lagos is yorubaland. Stop lying

1 Like

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by XAUBulls: 8:56pm On Jun 17, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
Oga you for kukuma do gov and draft your own policy

Lagosians gave you a lesson before, I advise you stop forcing yourself
Indeed.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by XAUBulls: 10:32pm On Jun 17, 2023
muhammaduyusufu:
Confused man. He forgot he also campaigned on sending other people back to their state of origin.
That boy called GRV is daft and NOT a very bright person. Just take a look at the trash he Tweeted. Unknown to him, the indigenes of Lagos State and Ogun State are one people... Especially
Ijebuland and Aworiland that straddle both sides of the 2 Yoruba states of Lagos and Ogun.

Yayi is an Awori and Aworis are indigenous to many towns in Ogun State and Lagos State. Osinbajo that he refered to in his ignorant Tweet is an Ijebu and Ijebus are also indigenous to many towns in Ogun State and Lagos State (such as Epe, Ikorodu, Ibeju-Lekku, Ajah).

Just like in Ghana, new land leases in Lagos and Ogun States MUST henceforth not exceed 50 years from here on out.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by XAUBulls: 10:55pm On Jun 17, 2023
muhammaduyusufu:

From Alberta, Canada and North Dakota, USA.
Nicely put.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Tell Nigerians What FG Used Borrowed N3tr For, Atiku Asks Buhari / BREAKING!!! Miyetti Allah Announces Closure Of Livestock Markets In Enugu / Rochas Okorocha Declared Winner Of Imo State Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.