Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) (30497 Views)

Katangua Market For Second-Hand Clothes Demolished By Lagos State Government / Customs Plans Auction Of Overtime Cargoes At Ports Soon / How Second Hand Clothes (Okirika) Are Sorted And Put In Bales In Togo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by grandstar(m): 3:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
Customs also can't ban anything. That is left to the government.

If its not broken, why fix it. People aren't complaining.

It is a good source of bribes- from the police to the customs.

On the roads, buses are stopped to see if they are carrying contraband. Rather than ban them, reduce the import duty on them. The trade provides a livelihood to hundreds of thousands of people, if not in millions. Many make millions a week just trading in the stuff.

3 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Housing(m): 3:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:
Please let the poor breath!

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on earth.

These strange and wicked policies are nauseating.

I repeat, let the poor breath.

This what killed the textile industries. They should ban Okrika. Second hand clothes is a big menace. In the late 70s and early 80s guys can hustle in three different companies a day. At least two sure shifts from two different companies. Every holiday whether is festive or anniversary sure that will be new cloths. And tailors will be patronized. There are native dress sewed for infants and babies. Nowadays you can hardly see already sewed infants and baby clothes that is of our traditional attire.

I deal with Okrika bail. I always buy from China Town but that business is killing our economy to be candid
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by crismark(m): 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on earth.

As in ehn.
There are plenty of thrift clothing shops in US and CANADA. Wetin this old fools dey feel like

3 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by felong(m): 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
Octopusssy:

Very dry
No wonder your life is so boring.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Acidosis(m): 3:49pm On Jun 09, 2023
Probably a joke.

Many Nigerians have never paid 1 naira for a brand new shirt in the last 15 years.

How do you people think Nigerians survive sef? You expect an Okada to enter a boutique and spend 12k on 1 shirt?? 1 not 10?? cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Lovelyn451(f): 3:51pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:
Please ban the rubish okirika. It is our major economic sabotage.

Those illiterates commenting up do not know its because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Textile industry used to be the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. Millions of jobs have been lost because of trade liberalization agenda that allow all rubish from other countries to be dumbed into Nigeria.

If we produce and sew almost all we wear here we would enjoy these benefits among others:

1. Millions of jobs lost will be recreated

2. Most youth will be gainfully employed and thus reduce crime especially insurgency in the North

3. Naira will gain strength

4. Health hazard as a result of wearing toxic clothese will be averted.

5, Nigerian fashion brands will grow

Hope those who want to eat their tomorrow today will understand.

oh pls....second hand clothes is not the reason for the collapse of your textile industries, your govt. Destroyed it...

6 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by shiwex: 3:51pm On Jun 09, 2023
Some East African countries have already banned them. We should ban them asap.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Houseontherock1: 3:52pm On Jun 09, 2023
Even oyibos are wearing it
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Galaxydon1(m): 3:53pm On Jun 09, 2023
They should also ban second hand cars, etc. Wicked people

3 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Jefferyhi86(m): 3:54pm On Jun 09, 2023
Bros calm down in as much that I also patronize this product it's still disgust me that women buy under wears n bra, no every cloth one can afford, even working class persons buys this things, it's really help me alot cos of it durability quote author=SultanOfAbia post=123678283]They should ban that nonesense
How can you be wearing another person used clith. Do you know where they picked those clothes from?
Do you know what if the owner of the clothes has died and they sell the clothes to you and you buy.
Comot money buy original clothes
Or you wear traditional cloths

Wearing another person's used clothe is a no no from me.
That is how on of my guy bought okirika jeans and while washing it he saw blood stain inside the jeans.
He tried returning it but it didn't work
Do you know if the owner of that Jean was a victim that got shot and his jeans removed and sold as okirika second hand cloth and you gladly buy it and wear a dead man clothes walking around.
And you wonder why evil things are happening to you.

The one that shocked me till this day
I found out that girls buy okirika bra and pants. shocked
Thunder fire all of una. Bloody disgusting species. Tueh!!!
Imagine wearing the used pant of an unknown bleeding vagina.
Angel Gabriel, what are you waiting for?[/quote]
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Jefferyhi86(m): 3:54pm On Jun 09, 2023
Bros calm down in as much that I also patronize this product it's still disgust me that women buy under wears n bra, no every cloth one can afford, even working class persons buys this things, it's really help me alot cos of it durability
SultanOfAbia:
They should ban that nonesense
How can you be wearing another person used clith. Do you know where they picked those clothes from?
Do you know what if the owner of the clothes has died and they sell the clothes to you and you buy.

That is how on of my guy bought okirika jeans and while washing it he saw blood stain inside the jeans.
Do you know if the owner of that Jean was a victim that got shot and his jeans removed and sold as okirika second hand cloth and you gladly buy it and wear a dead man clothes walking around.

Angel Gabriel, what are you waiting for?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by OloyeVIII: 3:54pm On Jun 09, 2023
mjuvey3:
How will our Nigerian women survive?
They want them roaming around naked!

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by chaberry(m): 3:55pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:
Please ban the rubish okirika. It is our major economy sabotage.

Those illiterates commenting up who want to look like oyinbo do not know it's because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Textile industry used to be the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. Millions of jobs have been lost because of trade liberalization agenda that allow all rubish from other countries to be dumbed into Nigeria.

If we produce and sew almost all we wear here we would enjoy these benefits among others:

2. Most youth will be gainfully employed and thus reduce crime especially insurgency in the North

This is same thing you guys said about rice, now look where we are, most Nigerians can't even afford to purchase it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by OloyeVIII: 3:55pm On Jun 09, 2023
If i hear say them use any of my clothe do rag!
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by XtraFortunes: 3:55pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:
Please ban the rubish okirika. It is our major economic sabotage.

Those illiterates commenting up do not know its because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Keep your mouth shut.

Is textile the only industry that collapse? What of the automobile industry? Did it not collapse? Peaugot Automobile Nigeria and Voxwagen? Why did Government not ban all fairly used cars so we all will buy only brand new ones, let's see if you can afford a brand new car?

People like you have no empathy, because the policy does not affect you, it is fine. Rubbish!!!

4 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by slowice(m): 3:58pm On Jun 09, 2023
Nigeria is a poor country that think it's rich.

Over 80million poor people and you are banning okrika? No be ment be that?

How about you improve the economy and people's well being and see if okrika won't loose customers with time.

4 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 3:59pm On Jun 09, 2023
That's Nigeria used cloth.
SultanOfAbia:

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by UNDFTD: 4:01pm On Jun 09, 2023
nlfpmod:

https://thenationonlineng.net/reactions-as-customs-plans-to-ban-second-hand-clothes/

The Customs Service has announced its intention to place a ban on the sale of second-hand clothes popularly called Okrika in Nigeria.

To all of you who still believe in One Nigeria especially those of you from Igbo-speaking Biafra, this is another economic jihad against you. It's only a matter of time before you would be made destitute because all the businesses that you're involved in would be proscribed by your Fulani government just like it proscribed IPOB. What's next? It could be computers, auto spare parts, appliances, etc. I say, "Keep loving and staying in your One Nigeria until it kills you and I will be here to talk about it!"

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Popesuccess(m): 4:02pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:

They want the children of the poor to be going round Naked.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by thedio(m): 4:03pm On Jun 09, 2023
Tinubu should call them to order cos the way Nigerians ladies would storm road and street with placard in different inscription will be unprecedental.

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by okorogodwin4(m): 4:05pm On Jun 09, 2023
Try and see
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by grandstar(m): 4:07pm On Jun 09, 2023
Housing:

This what killed the textile industries. They should ban Okrika. Second hand clothes is a big menace. In the late 70s and early 80s guys can hustle in three different companies a day. At least two sure shifts from two different companies. Every holiday whether is festive or anniversary sure that will be new cloths. And tailors will be patronized. There are native dress sewed for infants and babies. Nowadays you can hardly see already sewed infants and baby clothes that is of our traditional attire.

I deal with Okrika bail. I always buy from China Town but that business is killing our economy to be candid

It isn't killing our economy.

That is not what killed killed textile industry. Benin republic still produces textile fabrics and duty on second hand clothes there is low.

What really killed the fabrics industry in Nigeria is that manufacturers here are not competitive. That's just one reason. The second China's super competitiveness and its huge size.

For instance, most third world countries doing well in garments export it. Nigeria does not. Most developed countries you see today started through the export of textiles. It is a labour intensive industry. Labor accounts for 66% of the cost in some cases. That is why when countries become developed or labor costs start becoming climbing, they start moving production to areas where labor is cheap.

Is Nigeria really doing that badly in garments? The nations probably has up to a million people employed in tailoring business. It is still considered an industry. The Economist magazine calls it "The type of unflashy manufacturing that actually creates jobs."

The kind of finished clothing you want many to purchase is simply unaffordable to most people. Nobody would buy Okrika if he had money for new. It also gives them the opportunity to buy many and not just a few.

I would suggest import duty be reduced on second hand clothing. It provides livelihood to 100s of thousands, if not millions of people. This will boost it further.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 09, 2023
Useless Zoo filled with Useless beings.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Jozilinn: 4:09pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Bring money now only God knows what is going on with some people how man ready made clothes children go wear 2 for 10k, Sunday wear and house wear dey...how much be some papa salary how much is minimum wage...how much for school fees,house rent, transportation, feedings.
Okririka has been helping families alot in Nigeria,the poor masses workers on the street,abi na ready made Dem Go use do work or use paint house,go price the ready made🤔 even Americans sell used things all hands are not equal besides it's a means of livelihood to most families... some are washed and ironed pesin wey dey buy am know how to handle am,just because they can afford it right 😔 not everyone can,widows, pregnant women whose husband died, orphans, house help please name them how many can afford readymade and still feed well with this policy.

Let them focus on nation building first if e better, everyone would profit from it and trust me things go change.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by mencer(m): 4:09pm On Jun 09, 2023
Madness and insensitivity in display

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Mom007(f): 4:10pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Nigerians... So proud when they have nothing! Even in the UK the whites buy used clothes with joy. Them no dey use eye see thrift store, both men and women and their aim is sustainability of the earths resources. Why burn or throw out something that still has utility? but we Nigerians think we are too good for everything yet we produce nothing! The next thing you will hear is that we have Ankara and adire and everyone should go and wear those... As if we produce any of it or as if the average man on the street can afford brand new clothes except once a while...

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by frozen70(f): 4:11pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

The fact that you were born and raised with Okrika clothes should be one good reason you don't just open mouth and be talking carelessly

Swear that you have never bought a T-shirt or Polo from any Okrika stand

If yes or No
then the Tunder will start from your side because your mum used it in you when you were an infant

Can't you just make your own contribution without blowing hot air

Grow up pls

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by luluman: 4:12pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Why not use your data to play games instead of spewing trash with it?

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by fineboynl(m): 4:13pm On Jun 09, 2023
They know they can't stop second hand clothes. Many government administration have tried it in the past they end up finding their way into this country.

Custom is only looking for more bribe. Give a dog a bad name to kill it.

3 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Herberthansome: 4:13pm On Jun 09, 2023
[you that is supporting the ban, how many times have you bought new clothes for the needy in your neighborhood? Stop acting rich poor nigga. quote author=SultanOfAbia post=123678283]They should ban that nonesense

Angel Gabriel, what are you waiting for?[/quote]
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by luluman: 4:14pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:

Tell them, even Americans or British buy and reuse used cloths.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Meanings Of Visa, Verve, Mastercard, Naira, Dollar, Debit & Credit Card / Nigeria’s Top 10 Highest-earning Ceos Received N3.5bn In 2019 / People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.