Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) (30493 Views)

Katangua Market For Second-Hand Clothes Demolished By Lagos State Government / Customs Plans Auction Of Overtime Cargoes At Ports Soon / How Second Hand Clothes (Okirika) Are Sorted And Put In Bales In Togo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by BackFromBalablu: 4:15pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:
They should ban that nonesense
How can you be wearing another person used clith. Do you know where they picked those clothes from?
Do you know what if the owner of the clothes has died and they sell the clothes to you and you buy.
Comot money buy original clothes
Or you wear traditional cloths

Wearing another person's used clothe is a no no from me.
That is how on of my guy bought okirika jeans and while washing it he saw blood stain inside the jeans.
He tried returning it but it didn't work
Do you know if the owner of that Jean was a victim that got shot and his jeans removed and sold as okirika second hand cloth and you gladly buy it and wear a dead man clothes walking around.
And you wonder why evil things are happening to you.

The one that shocked me till this day
I found out that girls buy okirika bra and pants. shocked
Thunder fire all of una. Bloody disgusting species. Tueh!!!
Imagine wearing the used pant of an unknown bleeding vagina.
Angel Gabriel, what are you waiting for?
When no be swear dem swear for your ancestors.
Because you can afford brand new clothes doesn't mean you would make this nonesense statement. Do you know how many people in nigeria has clothed themselves through okirika clothes and is still clothing themselves till now.
Guy i buy okirika and wear them because that's what i can afford! Don't use yourself to judge other peoples lifestyle.

Custom should nt try this nonesense abeg. It will affect alot of people.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Octopusssy(f): 4:16pm On Jun 09, 2023
felong:

No wonder your life is so boring.
Lol. E pain am cheesy
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by frozen70(f): 4:16pm On Jun 09, 2023
nlfpmod:

https://thenationonlineng.net/reactions-as-customs-plans-to-ban-second-hand-clothes/

Talk is cheap
Implementation is the hardest

Okrika have been generating Revenue and no one has ever died from wearing Okrika

Even the man making this report or speech, his children are wearing Okrika bought buy his wife from the money he gave them for clothings

Okrika has come to stay and worst case scenario people will keep smuggling it into the country and still settle the customs

If this man is at the border post, he will not make this statement

Tokunbo cars were Barned, yet this same people are still buying Tokunbo cars because it's cheaper that brand new care and more affordable

May his wish not come true for Okrika head
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Captaincool1(m): 4:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:
Please let the poor breath!

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on earth.

These strange and wicked policies are nauseating.

I repeat, let the poor breath.

Sincerely I myself dey buy used clothe where I dey. They call it vintage sales here in Canterbury south east London.

4 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Jozilinn: 4:22pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:
How can you be wearing another person used clith. Do you know where they picked those clothes from?
Do you know what if the owner of the clothes has died and they sell the clothes to you and you buy.

That is how on of my guy bought okirika jeans and while washing it he saw blood stain inside the jeans.
Do you know if the owner of that Jean was a victim that got shot and his jeans removed and sold as okirika second hand cloth and you gladly buy it and wear a dead man clothes walking around.

the only thing that I don't support in okririka is the underwear part,but honestly it has helped a lot of low income earners, widows even orphans not to talk of people doing manual jobs it's not everyone that can afford all these expensive readymade...petrol hike has worsen the prices of these things,who no like better thing.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by jackmrandy: 4:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by nevadahenz2014(m): 4:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
that clothes that you purchase from the boutiques in your area are all okirika..them go rewash them and add perfumes to it,then hang it inside the shop with A.C blowing it consistently...go yaba or kantagora...na thier them day pick them from.....
SultanOfAbia:

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by NAC1666: 4:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by NAVYdogg: 4:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
Of all problems bothering this corntree na Okrika be government problem abi. This privilege mótherfvckerz are very MÂD. So whatever benefits the common man is now tag bad in their eye.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by nevadahenz2014(m): 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2023
them plenty for nyayan market in your country capital(ABUJA)
Captaincool1:

Sincerely I myself dey buy used clothe where I dey. They call it vintage sales here in Canterbury south east London.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by ennygr8: 4:31pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on earth.

I don't even know their problem with used clothes. Before many were born used clothes has been. Why bring I up now that things are difficulty in the country?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by figment232(m): 4:32pm On Jun 09, 2023
TINUBU is WORKING ...MY ASS
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by felong(m): 4:33pm On Jun 09, 2023
Octopusssy:

Lol. E pain am cheesy
Is that what you use to console yourself whenever your stupidity is called out?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by CheedyJ(m): 4:36pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:
Please let the poor breathe!

Used clothes are sold everywhere in the world. Stop making it look like Nigeria is the worse place on Earth.

Don't mind them with all their anti-people policies cos even in the advanced world, they sell used clothes at least, I'm very certain about the Uk and I know it's same too in the USA.Regulating it would have been okay instead of outright ban. Mumu people
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Henry22(m): 4:36pm On Jun 09, 2023
One brand new men's shirt cost between 7000 to 15 thousand on average so I ask how many people can actually afford that in the Nigeria of today?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by LagBae(f): 4:36pm On Jun 09, 2023
They should kukuma gather all poor people in one place and start shooting them. Tufiakwa!
Food, they can't buy
School, they can't attend
Good healthcare, they can't afford
Shelter, mbanu.
Fuel subsidy removal,na the poor dey suffer am pass, with nothing to cushion the effect .
Now they want to deprive them of the Okirika clothes, they are managing to cover their unclothedness.
God would judge all these people making inconsiderate laws and bans, while they and their families feed fat and live fine.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by JOemmy(m): 4:38pm On Jun 09, 2023
Nigeria is currently the poverty capital of the whole world how many nigerians can afford a brand new jeans of #5k?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by sharone21(f): 4:39pm On Jun 09, 2023
There are some ministries that women should strictly be heading since they go more to the market and empathize more.

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by BennyDGreat: 4:40pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lolachef:
Hope for the poor like me.

Say what you want to become, not what your current situation looks like. Confess positively. See you at the top!
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Ykc2(m): 4:41pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

I want them to ban second hand cars too
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by PeggySandas(f): 4:42pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

Last line does it for me.

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by IMASTEX: 4:43pm On Jun 09, 2023
MizMyColi:

Even abroad, there are thrift shops, really big ones where people go to buy gently used (second hand) items. Visit these places and you'll find that people from all walks of life patronize them.

You forgot to mention that those clothes aren't shipped in volume from elsewhere. Meanwhile, kokubo clothes have always been a contraband item for long.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Tallesty1(m): 4:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:

Wait, so Satan is more compassionate than our leaders?
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by IMASTEX: 4:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
MizMyColi:

Even abroad, there are thrift shops, really big ones where people go to buy gently used (second hand) items. Visit these places and you'll find that people from all walks of life patronize them.

You forgot to mention that those clothes aren't shipped in volume from elsewhere. Meanwhile, kokubo clothes have always been a contraband item for long. In as much as, items should be affordable to all. We shouldn't also forget not to kill local production by allowing too much of what we already have. Though, even the locals are greedy with pricing. If you visit the port and see what comes in, you would call the country a bin. Inferiority complex is an issue here.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by grandstar(m): 4:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:
Please ban the rubish okirika. It is our major economy sabotage.

Those illiterates commenting up who want to look like oyinbo do not know it's because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Textile industry used to be the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. Millions of jobs have been lost because of trade liberalization agenda that allow all rubish from other countries to be dumbed into Nigeria.

If we produce and sew almost all we wear here we would enjoy these benefits among others:

1. Millions of jobs lost will be recreated

2. Most youth will be gainfully employed and thus reduce crime especially insurgency in the North

3. Naira will gain strength

4. Health hazard as a result of wearing toxic clothese will be averted.

5, Nigerian fashion brands will grow

Hope those who want to eat their tomorrow today will understand.

There's nothing wrong with trade liberalization.

The reason why you export is to have money to pay for your imports. We do not stock Martian pounds as we don't do business with Mars.

Trade liberalization forces countries to focus resources on things they are good at. You don't need to protect your economy from things you are good at. For instance, only a dumb person would import plantain into the country. Even if they do, plantain farmers won't be scared.

Countries do best when they focus resources on industries they have comparative advantage. For instance, crude oil has greatly benefitted the country. Imagine if the nation had fully developed it and was refining 3mbpd of crude oil, was the 2nd largest gas exporter after Algeria in Africa, was the logistic hub of the oil industry in Africa, had the largest indigenous oil servicing companies on the continent, how big do you think the GDP would be now?

Now imagine replicating that feat in 5 other industries? That's what Germany is renown for. There'll be this Mittelstand (medium size company) that will account for half of the global supply of a certain component in car batteries for instance-and you have hundreds of companies like these.

Liberalization enables you to enjoy the things produced in other countries competitively while they enjoy yours.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Menclothing: 4:51pm On Jun 09, 2023
Why will you wear use cloth by unknown person used undies that’s not poverty that’s curse

I sell 2k tees 5k shirt 3500 short brand new we have buy brand new

The bad thing am
Seeing recently used china cloth is what they are selling
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by gloryman91: 4:52pm On Jun 09, 2023
Do you want to suffocate the disOBIdents pipu now?

First is property tax law for Lagos State next is ban on Okirika clothes.

Who no know go know.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by rollymore(m): 4:54pm On Jun 09, 2023
The Nigeria Customs Service does not ban anything. It only implements Federal Government policies on Import and Export. Fed Gov bans, Customs implement. The ban on the importation of second hand clothes (okirika) has been in force for more than ten years now. It's not a new policy.

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Farid24224(m): 4:59pm On Jun 09, 2023
KingSatan:

Don't suffer-cate them grin
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by femicyrus(m): 5:02pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:

Those illiterates commenting up who want to look like oyinbo do not know it's because of the toxic okirikas that textile industry collapsed in Nigeria.

Textile industry used to be the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. Millions of jobs have been lost because of trade liberalization agenda that allow all rubish from other countries to be dumbed into Nigeria.

If we produce and sew almost all we wear here we would enjoy these benefits among others:

2. Most youth will be gainfully employed and thus reduce crime especially insurgency in the North

Just like they ban rice to create invisible 1 million jobs only to sentence 200 million Nigerians into poverty and hunger.
Rice of high quality still sells for equivalent of #8000 across Africa today but here, a poor quality rice is selling for #36,000

1 Like

Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by Babaken(m): 5:06pm On Jun 09, 2023
SultanOfAbia:

For your mind you make sense how many times you don buy aba made clothes give the less privilege in your community.
Re: Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
datola:

Na so Una talk for rice , Buhari's administration was the worst in terms of economy in Nigeria's history

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CBN To Replace Local Bureau-De-Changes With Travelex / The Meanings Of Visa, Verve, Mastercard, Naira, Dollar, Debit & Credit Card / People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.