Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? (14992 Views)

Avoid These Four Types Of People At Work Place / Slave Masters At Work Place / Gen-z And Their Many Problems In The Work Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Eagba(m): 1:42pm On Jun 10, 2023
Being an introvert is the best thing that happened to me. It's gives me the strength to control even the air around me.

1 Like

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by U09ce: 1:46pm On Jun 10, 2023
Oluromantic:
If you are an introvert, I suggest you read the following books

Why you act the way you do
Attitude is everything
48 laws of power.

After reading them, I bet you will be happy being an introvert regardless of how others view you considering the strength inherent in introversion as revealed by these books.

The fact that you're not predictable alone makes 'cunning' your strength

Please add the book "Quiet" by Susan Caine. Very relevant

1 Like

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by ashewoboy(m): 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2023
EriMma1 how old are you? Shey you go like marry introvert?
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by U09ce: 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2023
I'm an Introvert. Some years back, I found myself as a salesman. It was really challenging for me. Imagine someone who doesn't want to be noticed now pushing for himself to be visible. That's when I better understood that going against nature is a daunting task. The job drained me to almost to a point of burning out. However, it helped me learn the art of building relationships, starting conversations and negotiation skills. Today, I seldom fret to start new conversations - albeit I struggle with keeping new contacts as I tend to retract to my shell.
I'll advise my fellow introverts to push to get out their shells. It's daunting to work in the modern workplace as an Introvert. You might work your ass off but if don't blow your trumpet, nobody recognised you. If you don't speak in meetings, people take to for granted. If you look too gentle, some colleagues will trample on you.
Learn public speaking. Engage in physical exercises. Find ways to boost your confidence

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Eagba(m): 1:59pm On Jun 10, 2023
lilyafaten:

People in my place of work tend to tag me "proud" just because it's not in my nature to talk much and mingle with people. I don't really care because I've grown to find out that my peace is of uttermost importance to me than what people think of me.

Anytime I try to adjust from being me, I will end up being uncomfortable, I've come to terms with myself to live my life happily enjoying my (introvert) nature.
Why are you impersonating me
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Flamemignon1(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2023
pryme:

It's doesn't matter when you are not seeking validation from other people.
The only option(s) that matters to me is mine and those I respect.
I agree with you but I think it's human nature to seek validation from others, it's in our nature to want to please others
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Silentgroper(m): 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2023
Zeel007:
by Robert Greene. I don't like that book. Is a very cunning and deceptive way of relating with people. is quite deceptive
is there a pdf??

please I'd like this book...
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by spiceadole: 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2023
ashewoboy:
That is the question.

What do your colleagues say that hurts you?

All because you are all by yourself. You are not as outspoken as others are.

How have you improved?

How are you improving?

Tell us.

Very simple.
I go to work.
Go about my normal duties.
Close and go home.
No time or need for chit chat and office friendship especially in this Youkay before they will say this and that.

We move.
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Bahamas95(m): 2:55pm On Jun 10, 2023
My colleagues are used to me already, I don't talk to them that much. The only time they hear me talk is when we're working, I get bored easily whenever what we're discussing is not work related...... Whenever they say something funny in the office I laugh but hardly join in the discussion unless someone ask me a question.

No regret being an introvert, I love my peace of mind. Noisy people irritate me.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Realiskit(m): 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2023
That's funny. Are you asking for someone or are you one?
Once you get used to your working environment, your introverted nature doesn't get in the way. Btw, no coworker will willfully say something to a colleague to cause a pain.

So don't be afraid if you are indirectly trying to find out sth. There always going to people who would like personality.

ashewoboy:
That is the question.

How have you improved?

How are you improving?

Tell us.
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Whoknow: 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2023
Rubyjade:
I used to work with several engineers with diverse personalities but many of them were somewhat introverted. I found being kind, leaving them to their work and not forcing them to be overly involved.

For the most part, they were thinkers and not as introverted as they appeared. I discovered once they got comfortable with me that they would chat and we'd laugh.

I think the key is to try to be understanding, try to make sure they are comfortable around you and don't pressure them to do what isn't natural to them. Invite them to social activities like luncheons and other things but don't be surprised if they don't attend. I used to ask one if he wanted me to make him a plate. Eventually, he attended.

As long as they are doing their job, leave them to it. People in certain positions took those positions because it doesn't usually involve social activities. Engineers, accountants, dishwashers…there’s a lot of jobs that don't need to be social. Assume that's why they choose that job.

Introverts are not rude or arrogant. We just keep ourselves to ourselves and get on with things. It doesn't mean we're unfriendly.

1. Allow them to get settled in at work in the morning before talking their ear off. Introverts sorta have to acclimate themselves to social environments such as work or parties every time.

2. Keep conversations short and sweet unless they are keeping the conversation going. Nothing is more awkward than a person that won’t stop talking to you despite your clear lack of interest in what they’re saying. Just say “hi” and keep it moving unless they are clearly in the mood to talk.

3. If they say their “fine” or “okay” just take their word for it. Don’t try to probe for more information or try to get them to open up to you. We’re naturally quiet, reserved, and have bitch resting faces! We’re not sad or upset…that’s just how we are naturally.

4. If we decline the invitation to the office happy hour or Christmas party, please respect our decision! Don’t try to convince us to go or ask us why we don’t want to go. We would just rather avoid large awkward social gatherings! And everyone, (even extroverts) can agree that office social events are a bit awkward!

5. Don’t tell them that they need to be more social in the office. The only thing we NEED to do is our freakin job! Everything else outside of that is extra credit. And we are also well aware that our social withdrawal may cost us a promotion but we’re perfectly fine with that! Co-workers are just that…coworkers…not friends!

6. Don’t try to force them out of their comfort zone by putting them on the spot. We aren’t “shy” extroverts who need to get out more. We are introverts who actually prefer flying under the radar. Don’t make them give the presentation to the whole office! Don’t make them wear the stupid Halloween costume for everyone’s amusement! Don’t put them on blast in mass emails! Don’t make them give speeches to the whole office! Just leave us alone!!

7. Don’t make our quietness seem like an issue. Almost all of my supervisors have said “Gosh! You’re really quiet!” In reality, we’re similarly bothered by how loud everyone else is but UNLIKE you, we don’t make a big deal about it. We accept people for who they are. SO WHAT, if I’m quiet and you’re talkative?? People are different. Don’t make me feel uncomfortable for being who I am!

I know I listed 7 points, but it all boils down to 2 things:

ACCEPT THEM FOR WHO THEY ARE
LEAVE THEM ALONE UNLESS THEY REQUEST OTHERWISE!
You are good, God bless you for this, one thing that baffle me is that introvert seem to understand everyone but no one seem to understand him. It really difficult for an introvert to scope in this noisy world. Me for one I hate in relevant talks, if I go to anywhere I must study the environment. I don't like people forcing me to do what I don't like. In my office I talk anytime an interesting topics is been discussed even those close to me would wonder, so I can talk like this, but after then when I might have proved my point I will just go back to myself. I hate gossip with passion and the moment I dictect you're gossiper I will just distance myself from you.

4 Likes

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by EriMma1: 3:10pm On Jun 10, 2023
ashewoboy:
EriMma1 how old are you? Shey you go like marry introvert?

Yes. Ill like an introvert like me. Men wey dey Waka Waka too dey cheat.
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Karlifate: 3:11pm On Jun 10, 2023
Bahamas95:
My colleagues are used to me already, I don't talk to them that much. The only time they hear me talk is when we're working, I get bored easily whenever what we're discussing is not work related...... Whenever they say something funny in the office I laugh but hardly join in the discussion unless someone ask me a question.

No regret being an introvert, I love my peace of mind. Noisy people irritate me.

@bolded:👌

1 Like

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by pryme(m): 3:52pm On Jun 10, 2023
Flamemignon1:

I agree with you but I think it's human nature to seek validation from others, it's in our nature to want to please others

True,
But introverts DONT go out of their way for validation.
Even if it happens then there is something special about this person (to the introvert in question, because most times introverts are mostly attracted to like minded people that may not appear special to others) that will be worth the trouble.

3 Likes

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by epistlegcfr: 4:00pm On Jun 10, 2023
grin I let my work do all the talking. When your work speaks for you, everyone will be forced to speak to you because they know that without you, things could crumble. You can be a man/woman of few words yet remain the most influential person because when you speak, insights drop from your jaw. Now if you want to rise to being an introverted don, work on your story telling skills so that when you have to talk, everyone listens and when you drop the mic, it’s like sharing the grace. Then you happily crawl back into your shells. You reserve your glow for another time.

1 Like

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Neddyogu(m): 4:17pm On Jun 10, 2023
Nobody at the office is your friend! Do your job, get paid, go home!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by achorladey: 4:24pm On Jun 10, 2023
ashewoboy:
That is the question.

How have you improved?

How are you improving?

Tell us.

The first step is to understand that it is your workplace not your introverted state, place or position. A place where interactivity, team work, division of labour and the need to be in contact with a lot of people.

When you understand the above that should help you condition your mind from the beginning away from the seclusion mindset or nature that is inherent with you.
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Tjohnnay: 4:50pm On Jun 10, 2023
take tramadol u go turn extrovert grin
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Manuel69: 5:01pm On Jun 10, 2023
People assume I'm full of myself because I hardly relate with them.
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by ashewoboy(m): 5:14pm On Jun 10, 2023
EriMma1:

Yes. Ill like an introvert like me. Men wey dey Waka Waka too dey cheat.

Are you single?
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by lilyafaten: 5:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
Eagba:
Why are you impersonating me

LoL
Really.... 😂
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by EriMma1: 5:41pm On Jun 10, 2023
ashewoboy:

Are you single?

I'm not interested in nairaland men.
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jun 10, 2023
EriMma1:

I'm not interested in nairaland men.

grin grin
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by TOBILOBA2023(m): 6:41pm On Jun 10, 2023
I'm Ambivert 👌

1 Like

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by Princeton92(m): 7:26pm On Jun 10, 2023
It's really been crazy especially with this colleague of mine who's always opening his tap for water to flow nonstop that it makes me uncomfortable and I do feel embarrassed on his behalf sha cause I wonder why he just cannot control his lips... 😩

Same time I've migrated to being an ambivert though! 😏
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by DynamicWriter(f): 8:51pm On Jun 10, 2023
post=123697686:

Can you post bad News?
Bad news?

1 Like

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by ibiso1986: 9:09pm On Jun 10, 2023
I'm an introvert and do have social anxiety. my neighbors and colleagues feel am kind of weird. Though some do understand my kind of person.. My issue is that I find it difficult finding a serious date and get married.. Hopefully I'll find someone that understands my kind of person.. Also I've been taking drugs for my social anxiety issues which helps but discontinued it to avoid being addicted to it..

1 Like

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by kelspinall(m): 9:32pm On Jun 10, 2023
its hard,i use to be that guy that comes to work,put on ma working shirts and headphones and mind my b"ness at work but due to people and their soo called thoughts came up i had to adjust to avoid being label "the guy with ego" gosh it's crazy sha but it's fun to mind ya b"ness
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by massalati(m): 10:20pm On Jun 10, 2023
My problem now is that I’m a student, I’ve paid my fees and I’ve done all the necessary registration but I’ve not been going to school.
it’s not easy to be with my colleagues in school and the funniest thing is that they don’t know me in my department, I’m always at home doing nothing I do feel bad for myself, i gat no one to talk to about this stuffs.

Exams is coming up soon, I just hate being who I’m, I hate this introvert shit. I just want to be alone all the time Omo nawaoo life tire me oo.

I was thinking It will be easier to outgrown this shit in my adulthood but no way man
I have attended 3 fuckin universities and I will keep on droping out on my own because I don’t go to school and I miss exams as well Omo na so depresion wan take kill me, if not for crypto trading I wonder how I for the see money 💰.. I’m lucky nobody is sponsoring me, and I will be 28 next month

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by NaijaCover(m): 10:31pm On Jun 10, 2023
DynamicWriter:

Bad news?

Tell me na
Re: Introverts, How Do You Cope At Your Work Place? by McStoic(m): 11:41pm On Jun 10, 2023
Sucre6:
There is this introvert colleague of mine, babe would stay on her own, when everyone is yabing each other, catching cruise and joking around, she will just be on her own, silent, funny thing I meet her in the organization so it's not like she is new or anything.

I always try to carry her along, make her laugh and pay attention to her, she can only confidently talk to me in the office, like she don't talk pim if you don't ask her anything, now we are best buds
I don't envy introverts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tech Innovations That Can Help Tackle Youth Unemployment In Nigeria / How Long Can I Use My Statement Of Result To Apply For A Job / VLA Recruit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.