Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost - Autos (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost (78945 Views)

Re: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Fuel Savings / Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / Convert Your Generator To Lpg Generator 08166866515 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by emmancecute(m): 6:26pm On Jul 17, 2023
Very detailed analysis, thank you boss
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Heasykenny: 8:29pm On Jul 21, 2023
Why is there much difficulties in starting generator converted to LPG carburetor? Like it takes too much time to start and it may not even start at all

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by wirinet(m): 10:41pm On Jul 21, 2023
Heasykenny:
Why is there much difficulties in starting generator converted to LPG carburetor? Like it takes too much time to start and it may not even start at all

It does not. I have been using the LPG carburetor for a week now, I only had that problem the first time I used it. I used my experience with petrol to correctly diagnose the problem. The problem is over floating, you are flooding the engine with too much gas. Press the button on the lpg carburetor two or three times then start the engine. If it does not start then push it one more time. If still it dies not start then shut the gas valve and pull the cable a few times to start the generator, that should get rid of excess gas. It will start or attempt to start. Then open the gas valve and pull once more. It should start.

4 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:51am On Jul 22, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people . .
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by LUDALOOLO(m): 2:50pm On Jul 23, 2023
Cold start is due to the type of carburetor you purchase

Heasykenny:
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by LUDALOOLO(m): 2:52pm On Jul 23, 2023
LUDALOOLO:

Cold start is due to the type of carburetor you purchase

Look closely and compare this with the one you fix on your Generator

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:30pm On Jul 23, 2023
LUDALOOLO:

Please can you explain more
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Swiftgrp: 1:22pm On Jul 27, 2023
Crysallis:
Nice effort on this thread....

For those wondering how this works, view the video below.

Watch from 7mins mark to see how the generator will be started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPcLgjP0bo
https://www.atlascopco.com/en-ng/compressors/air-compressor-blog/how-a-nitrogen-generator-works
=>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyQaHyQJ1Ew
Atlas Copco Compressor Technique · 14 Mar 2022
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by timibare(m): 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2023
LUDALOOLO:

this one is clearly for bigger gen e.g 3.5kva above
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Snoopy5: 1:39pm On Aug 12, 2023
Heasykenny:

This is the part that need more clarification, when the generator doesn't start normally like it should. More clarification is needed on this please, just in case anyone has a different view from the above explanation.

I also learnt from a technician who does generator conversion that it makes the generator not to make so much noise. My thought was that if my generation have to sound lower than it should, it may mean it's working below capacity.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Snoopy5: 11:55am On Aug 28, 2023
Snoopy5:

[s][s]This
is the part that
need
[/s][/s]more
clarification
, when the generator doesn't start [s]normally[/s] like it should. More clarification is needed on this please, just in case anyone has a different view from the above explanation.

I also learnt from a technician who does generator conversion that it makes the generator not to make so much noise. My thought was that if my generation have to sound lower than it should, it may mean it's working below capacity.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GloriousGbola: 6:11pm On Sep 19, 2023
I need to generate a table. As petrol is 568 and lpg is n770. When I started it was 470 vs 650.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:04am On Sep 20, 2023
GloriousGbola:
I need to generate a table. As petrol is 568 and lpg is n770. When I started it was 470 vs 650.

The matter Taya

Govt just knows how to frustrate. Have a 1000units ready to clear landing cheap.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GloriousGbola: 11:09am On Sep 20, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

The matter Taya

Govt just knows how to frustrate. Have a 1000units ready to clear landing cheap.

I don already buy from you. I bought three. grin
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:30am On Sep 20, 2023
GloriousGbola:

I don already buy from you. I bought three. grin

Weldone o
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Manuella4ace: 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

The matter Taya

Nah wa oo, which kind of useless govt we have.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by darlenese(f): 12:32pm On Oct 30, 2023
Why is my gen jerking few minutes after i turn it on
This problem started after I converted to gas carburetor

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Heyzee5: 2:26pm On Nov 08, 2023
wirinet:

It does not. I have been using the LPG carburetor for a week now, I only had that problem the first time I used it. I used my experience with petrol to correctly diagnose the problem. The problem is over floating, you are flooding the engine with too much gas. Press the button on the lpg carburetor two or three times then start the engine. If it does not start then push it one more time. If still it dies not start then shut the gas valve and pull the cable a few times to start the generator, that should get rid of excess gas. It will start or attempt to start. Then open the gas valve and pull once more. It should start.

Pls is it still worthwhile to convert to LPG since LPG is now selling for #1,200/kg?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by wirinet(m): 4:49pm On Nov 08, 2023
Heyzee5:

Pls is it still worthwhile to convert to LPG since LPG is now selling for #1,200/kg?
It is not, at N1200/kg of LPG you will be filling up a 12.5kg cylinder with N15,000.
I switched when it was N650/kg. Then it was worth it.

I have since switched to solar to run my business.

There have been total blackout for the past 2 days, my solar set up came to my rescue.
It is expected to break even in 18 months when compared to running on gas/petrol at current rate.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:25am On Nov 09, 2023
darlenese:
Why is my gen jerking few minutes after i turn it on
This problem started after I converted to gas carburetor

Slight tuning needed
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by spinna: 11:25am On Nov 27, 2023
joinnow:

Cool will then use my farm waste

Hi ive fone deep research on this and its viability for biogas..the adapter has a switch where you can change between lpg,cng and petrol..

However if you are using biogas you must scrub the gas of both moisture and other imperfections so that it won't wreck the engine fast

Looking forward to presenting my gen run in biogas later

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Preorder Cars from Dubai: Prado, Hilux, Hiace, Benz, Coaster, Rolls-Royce... / ♒ ♒ Recover Your Lost/Stolen Custom Duty Documents Here ♒ / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.