Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost (79000 Views)

Re: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Fuel Savings / Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / Convert Your Generator To Lpg Generator 08166866515 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by brownbib(m): 7:25pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nice one
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Patriotic9ja(m): 7:25pm On Jun 12, 2023
Good job
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Hamachi(f): 7:26pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Load or idle, gen will run on similar conditions for both fuels .
I will advice you look at the electricity bill recently signed into law. Think big, think rich

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Lightway: 7:26pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

LPG results

Final results on 1kg, ₦650 test on LPG

Result was 3hours and 17mins

Is that a 2.5kva generator
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Hamachi(f): 7:27pm On Jun 12, 2023
crestedaguiyi:
I just ordered this kit today from alaba. It's less than 20k.

The use of lpg is far cheaper.

12.5kg of gas will run for more than 120 hrs.

25litrs of fuel will not give you 24hours on same gen.

This text has been done in Nnewi last week, the carburetor already has a dealer there who has large quantity in stock.

Ibo people, Una wan sabotage dangote
Please 🙏 give me dealers number as the subsidy removal is bitting harder.

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Nairalander248: 7:27pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

LPG results

Final results on 1kg, ₦650 test on LPG

Result was 3hours and 17mins

Have you tried CNG ? Heard it's 120naira/Kg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by StJohnKml: 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .
Great work bro!
However, here is a few comment:

- The fuel consumption will not be same for everybody based on differing electrical loads. Fuel consumption is usually relative to the amount of load on the generator.
This should be noted.

Great work sir!

Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ebenezary(m): 7:29pm On Jun 12, 2023
This is my 3 to 4 years with solar and l never regret it, and at least l dey enjoy 20+ electricity daily

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Hungerbadoo: 7:29pm On Jun 12, 2023
eherbal:
Thanks for making this easier for us . We now have to choose the best options for us. Wey my weed self. grin
If you go smoke igbo i take god beg u no go the burn house upandan fa

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:30pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

How much load did you put on
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by hardon1(m): 7:31pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

3hrs 17min is actually 3.283 hrs and not 3.17hrs

because moving 17min to hrs is 17÷60 = 0.283 hrs

22 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Pythagoras001: 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
Compare 1kg of fuel (petrol) to 1 kg of gas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Gajagojo: 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
So was the generator carrying any load?

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Gajagojo: 7:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
Pythagoras001:
Compare 1kg of fuel to 1 kg of gas
Why?

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by AngelicBeing: 7:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
wink
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by eepeepook: 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
There is a possibility for an explosion. I am not doing. I’ll feed my eyes then pass.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Oluwaseunbandur: 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
I hope it's sustainable
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by NinjaMetahuman: 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
This is a very nice thread.

Been wondering cos there are different opinions concerning this on the internet.

I'm glad someone actually did a practical experiment on this.

Well done.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by damosade(m): 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
abort the mission . i repeat abort the mission. Safety first.

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by profmallor: 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
Yes, the second calculation is the better comparison of the 2, thanks this is an eye opener on the savings per hr.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Is it not shameful that we don't have stable power in Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by sonnie10: 7:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
StJohnKml:

Great work bro!
However, here is a few comment:

- The fuel consumption will not be same for everybody based on differing electrical loads. Fuel consumption is usually relative to the amount of load on the generator.
This should be noted.

Great work sir!

Thanks for sharing.
He already noted this in his analysis. He point out that they were same load.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Pythagoras001: 7:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gajagojo:

Why?
in other for the comparison to make sense you compare mass to mass and not mass to volume because their density are not the same. On average the gas should do a little better that is only if the cost/kg are same since lpg has a slightly higher heating value.

6 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Emekafranklin20(m): 7:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Awesome. Make I convert my own sharply
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by IbnB: 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
nurey:
Nah the explosive tendency of the CNG/LNG dey fear me.

But this is good, let more people switch yo CNG/LNG so the price of petrol can come down for poor people like me grin

Damn right bro...CNG/LNG is unforgiving when mishandled; petrol is way more tolerant of the usually shoddy thinking/practices of the regular Nigerian

The bad news tho, is that Aliko Dangote does not work with free markets, so the price of PMS will NEVER come down. Nigerians are going to pay way higher than international average

6 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
PMS (petrol ) test has commenced, using same load conditions and same carburettor.

How much load
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Sablexxxtoons: 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
Been looking for this data .thanks
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Tonytonex(m): 7:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

This is really an eye opener.
How comes people never knew about this?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GodsOwn2004(m): 7:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kudos to you Gazuz.

In your evaluation , since Gas, is in kg, The 1Litre of petrol also needs to be converted to kg.

1L of petrol = 0.79kg

This cost comparison/ evaluation needs to be done with 1kg of petrol = about 1.27litres of petrol.

GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Guyman01: 7:39pm On Jun 12, 2023
crestedaguiyi:
I just ordered this kit today from alaba. It's less than 20k.

The use of lpg is far cheaper.

12.5kg of gas will run for more than 120 hrs.

25litrs of fuel will not give you 24hours on same gen.

This text has been done in Nnewi last week, the carburetor already has a dealer there who has large quantity in stock.

Ibo people, Una wan sabotage dangote
Those guys are something else, they have already imported carburettors full everywhere and many people are turning to LPG

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Preorder Cars from Dubai: Prado, Hilux, Hiace, Benz, Coaster, Rolls-Royce... / ♒ ♒ Recover Your Lost/Stolen Custom Duty Documents Here ♒ / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.