Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost - Autos (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost (79065 Views)

Re: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Fuel Savings / Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / Convert Your Generator To Lpg Generator 08166866515 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by emmyN(m): 12:32am On Jun 13, 2023
ebenezary:
This is my 3 to 4 years with solar and l never regret it, and at least l dey enjoy 20+ electricity daily

Have you had to change your batteries since after the first installation?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by pfadom: 12:33am On Jun 13, 2023
Your conversion is wrong. 3 hours 17 minutes is not the same as 3.17 hours.

17 mins is 17/60 hour = 0.28 hours.

Hence, 3 hours 17 mins = 3.28 hours.

Repeat your calculations and add the cost of converting the carburettor and other modifications.

GAZZUZZ:

LPG results

Final results on 1kg, ₦650 test on LPG

Result was 3hours and 17mins

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by emmyN(m): 12:37am On Jun 13, 2023
GodsOwn2004:
Kudos to you Gazuz.

In your evaluation , since Gas, is in kg, The 1Litre of petrol also needs to be converted to kg.

1L of petrol = 0.79kg

This cost comparison/ evaluation needs to be done with 1kg of petrol = about 1.27litres of petrol.

His comparison is in order. The object of focus is the cost of running, not the amount of product used.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Sylvadany: 12:39am On Jun 13, 2023
Pls let talk 08039443083
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ddeola: 1:27am On Jun 13, 2023
How many people get the luxury of space and privacy to set up this ? Though it sounds very good but how feasible is it in Lagos ? undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Mcslize: 1:46am On Jun 13, 2023
ebenezary:
This is my 3 to 4 years with solar and l never regret it, and at least l dey enjoy 20+ electricity daily

Wow! How many Kva?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Nolevel666: 2:43am On Jun 13, 2023
I love when Nigerias engage in activities like these.
It makes me really happy.

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Nolevel666: 2:47am On Jun 13, 2023
pfadom:

Repeat your calculations and add the cost of converting the carburettor and other modifications.

You are correct.

You first have to convert everything to seconds and then divide by 3600.
3.2833 hours.

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Mikelarteta(m): 2:54am On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .

Can you do this for me pls?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by stevebond007(m): 2:58am On Jun 13, 2023
Thanks for the effort at this deductions.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by 360command: 4:04am On Jun 13, 2023
ebenezary:
do you have the buyers contact, website etc.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:32am On Jun 13, 2023
pfadom:

post is on front page, cannot be edited for security reasons

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:34am On Jun 13, 2023
Mikelarteta:

Can you do this for me pls?

Very easily
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:35am On Jun 13, 2023
Lightorder:

Mathematically, using Simple Proportion method right

I have created the foundation, you can build the house

6 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Vivianat(f): 5:19am On Jun 13, 2023
Healthquest:
interesting and very fine. Thanks

I wish car conversion is ds simple.

I would have move to CNG but do we have CNG dispensing pumps on our filling station like ds?

I've not see except for LPG
You forced me to post. If you know gazzuzz very well, he usually starts his vehicle projects from generators. Hence I can assure he's low-key working on car conversion

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Bobmaintain: 5:20am On Jun 13, 2023
This is not a standardized experiment as none of the variables is the same.

You should have used 1kg of both fuels, or #650 worth of both fuels. Kilogram vs Litre is like comparing apples and oranges.

There is no hint on the load size also.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by iyke2frankeze: 5:21am On Jun 13, 2023
Please how can one get the carburettor?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by femicyrus(m): 5:49am On Jun 13, 2023
Do you know a mechanical engineer that can convert a petrol injector engine to gas injector for Toyota cars?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by jackpot(f): 5:51am On Jun 13, 2023
3 hrs, 17 minutes= 3.17 hrs? Seriously? You're wrong in your calculations.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by femicyrus(m): 5:51am On Jun 13, 2023
Bobmaintain:
This is not a standardized experiment as none of the variables is the same.

You should have used 1kg of both fuels, or #650 worth of both fuels. Kilogram vs Litre is like comparing apples and oranges.

There is no hint on the load size also.
The variables he used are okay by us. If you are not satisfied, you can go to court

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by tosyne2much(m): 5:55am On Jun 13, 2023
Na physics/science students full this thread

No trolls this time around cheesy
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by femicyrus(m): 6:02am On Jun 13, 2023
pfadom:

Learn to appreciate people's effort instead of looking for faults
Why is it that digital clock made by similar brain to op do not read like what you are presenting?
Since you know what you know, what have you done with it apart from condemning the work of others?

Do your own correctly or go to court pls
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by TemitayoMark: 6:45am On Jun 13, 2023
nex:

If you use a Non-Explosive Composite Fibre Cylinder, you won't have to worry about explosion with LPG, LNG, CNG or any other type of gas.

I'm just waiting for the results to come in, so I can decide on what to do next with my generator.

In terms of pricing, it is possible that petrol prices will fall a little with less demand if many Nigerians switch to gas to fuel their cars and generators, but what will happen to the price of gas with the high demand? You expect price of gas to remain below N700 per kg?

Please where can one get this type of cylinder, it's really scarce out there because I never see anywhere wey them dey sell am for my area at IKORODU
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by billionman: 6:49am On Jun 13, 2023
ConfidentialDoc:

I hear mobile phones can set off explosion of the CNG/LPG. I hope we won't have more cases of this.

Any scientific evidence to support this hearsay?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by staga: 6:52am On Jun 13, 2023
Manuella4ace:

Then buy 7k gas and 7k fuel and do your test.

Oga,
The essence of the test is to see the COST DIFFERENCE between the two for a set number of hours of operation.

The price of PMS is a variable factor and is not a reliable metric.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by staga: 6:53am On Jun 13, 2023
femicyrus:
Do you know a mechanical engineer that can convert a petrol injector engine to gas injector for Toyota cars?

Go to BannerGas and hold your 250,000.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ogwuche4u(m): 7:03am On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .

please where and how can i get this carburettor?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Hotice085: 7:04am On Jun 13, 2023
ConfidentialDoc:

Hmm...some others weren't so lucky.

In Europe America and Asia they have been using phones inside their kitchen since Adam was created
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by watchindelta(m): 7:21am On Jun 13, 2023
See what the stupid government of Nigerian has caused , if light dey who go dey reason all this now, ymm yeye country
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:29am On Jun 13, 2023
ogwuche4u:

please where and how can i get this carburettor?

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Healthquest: 7:59am On Jun 13, 2023
Vivianat:

You forced me to post. If you know gazzuzz very well, he usually starts his vehicle projects from generators. Hence I can assure he's low-key working on car conversion
I know gazzuz.

Car conversion is very very possible but its more complex than this generator that's my point.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Preorder Cars from Dubai: Prado, Hilux, Hiace, Benz, Coaster, Rolls-Royce... / ♒ ♒ Recover Your Lost/Stolen Custom Duty Documents Here ♒ / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.