Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost - Autos (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost (79001 Views)

Re: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Fuel Savings / Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / Convert Your Generator To Lpg Generator 08166866515 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by MrBONE2(m): 8:04am On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .

Nice one Bwana, Since it can run on Cooking Gas, then should work with Bio-Gas, what ya say Bwana.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ConfidentialDoc: 8:13am On Jun 13, 2023
billionman:

Any scientific evidence to support this hearsay?

I haven't found any so far.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by justlovesfarmin: 8:22am On Jun 13, 2023
We should consider Biogas. Convert your house waste to gas.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Manuella4ace: 8:32am On Jun 13, 2023
staga:

Oga,
The essence of the test is to see the COST DIFFERENCE between the two for a set number of hours of operation.

The price of PMS is a variable factor and is not a reliable metric.

You're trying to show us you're wise.
Oga, buy fuel 7k and gas 7k, any one that last longer wins.
Simple and short.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Kezifils(m): 8:40am On Jun 13, 2023
femicyrus:

The variables he used are okay by us. If you are not satisfied, you can go to court

grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Hollawayn05(m): 8:42am On Jun 13, 2023
nex:

If you use a Non-Explosive Composite Fibre Cylinder, you won't have to worry about explosion with LPG, LNG, CNG or any other type of gas.

I'm just waiting for the results to come in, so I can decide on what to do next with my generator.

In terms of pricing, it is possible that petrol prices will fall a little with less demand if many Nigerians switch to gas to fuel their cars and generators, but what will happen to the price of gas with the high demand? You expect price of gas to remain below N700 per kg?

How much is dia cylinder?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by legba1(m): 8:50am On Jun 13, 2023
How much do they sell this carburator Anyone with idea pls
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Benblaq(m): 9:07am On Jun 13, 2023
Looks scary though..
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by neutralmind: 9:29am On Jun 13, 2023
Nice 1
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by nams77: 9:37am On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

LPG results

Final results on 1kg, ₦650 test on LPG

Result was 3hours and 17mins

God bless you gazzuzz. Being hoping for information like this. Thank you for taking out the time to do this, though I will still stick with the petrol
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by nams77: 9:41am On Jun 13, 2023
nex:

If you use a Non-Explosive Composite Fibre Cylinder, you won't have to worry about explosion with LPG, LNG, CNG or any other type of gas.

I'm just waiting for the results to come in, so I can decide on what to do next with my generator.

In terms of pricing, it is possible that petrol prices will fall a little with less demand if many Nigerians switch to gas to fuel their cars and generators, but what will happen to the price of gas with the high demand? You expect price of gas to remain below N700 per kg?
The pictures display, is that the cylinder you are referring to?
Are you a distributor? Whats the price like?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Arisheloaded(m): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2023
Thank you Gazzuzz

This is so brilliant and informative.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by E2000: 10:03am On Jun 13, 2023
You have just received the badge of a hero because you just behaved like one. One love brother

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Pedyson: 10:03am On Jun 13, 2023
You forgot to list the power factor (generator power rate), it also determine the amount of gas/pms per liter it consumes
Or doesn’t power factor has effect on the timing?

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Emzol: 10:07am On Jun 13, 2023
Bros,

Insightful info...

Where you dey stay amd how do I get the carburettor.

Please revert sir.

GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ask4bk(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
shogz89:

The best way to do the math's is to buy both gas and petrol of the same amount and get how long they last..find the percentage difference. The answer should be in the formats I.e gas is 20% cheaper.

Can you Buy 1k gas? Sincère question actually
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Average9jaman: 10:38am On Jun 13, 2023
hardon1:

3hrs 17min is actually 3.283 hrs and not 3.17hrs

because moving 17min to hrs is 17÷60 = [/b]0.283 hrs[b]

Na wa o shocked

How u wan make average man understand dis ya hours na grin
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Average9jaman: 10:42am On Jun 13, 2023
FrancisDiote:
Is it not shameful that we don't have stable power in Nigeria

According to Ben Murray Bruce : Nigeria has the least access to electricity in the whole world.

If that's true then it is extremely shameful
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Barblow(m): 11:03am On Jun 13, 2023
I think it's right time complete generating set using LPG are imported from China and some foreign countries.

When I got to know LNG is economical for cooking than Kerosene then! I tried to convince everyone I see using Kerosene to cook.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:50pm On Jun 13, 2023
Emzol:
Bros,

Insightful info...

Where you dey stay amd how do I get the carburettor.

Please revert sir.

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:52pm On Jun 13, 2023
Healthquest:

I know gazzuz.

Car conversion is very very possible but its more complex than this generator that's my point.

have you been to India? It's what any one with basic science tech can assemble, no big deal. Just get a kit for each vehicle or a generic kit for a range of vehicles
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:52pm On Jun 13, 2023
ogwuche4u:

please where and how can i get this carburettor?

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:54pm On Jun 13, 2023
Pedyson:
You forgot to list the power factor (generator power rate), it also determine the amount of gas/pms per liter it consumes
Or doesn’t power factor has effect on the timing?

A is more economical than B.

The remaining science and data is left for the ogas like you

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:55pm On Jun 13, 2023
Benblaq:
Looks scary though..

Every serious Amala cooking joint in Lagos has a gas cylinder sitting next to a flame, no one has died yet wink

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Healthquest: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

have you been to India? It's what any one with basic science tech can assemble, no big deal. Just get a kit for each vehicle or a generic kit for a range of vehicles
hanhaaha.

Send me go India boss.

The tin still de difficult especially ECu that will do that job or regulating the consumption
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by staga: 1:05pm On Jun 13, 2023
Manuella4ace:

You're trying to show us you're wise.
Oga, buy fuel 7k and gas 7k, any one that last longer wins.
Simple and short.

Why don't you do this yourself since you are wiser?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:58pm On Jun 13, 2023
Healthquest:
hanhaaha.

Send me go India boss.

The tin still de difficult especially ECu that will do that job or regulating the consumption

Again, not rocket science , can be done without stress
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Lightorder: 2:09pm On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

I have created the foundation, you can build the house
you are the best , my brother
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Jacobsontwelve(m): 2:23pm On Jun 13, 2023
legba1:
How much do they sell this carburator Anyone with idea pls
25,000 naira, we can deliver to your doorstep if you are interested
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by hardon1(m): 2:43pm On Jun 13, 2023
Average9jaman:

Na wa o shocked

How u wan make average man understand dis ya hours na grin

Haa.. na basic conversion learnt in secondary school undecided undecided undecided
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Sturdy12: 2:49pm On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

Bros, can this my generator run the package?

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by helicoptarr: 2:54pm On Jun 13, 2023
Highly commendable exercise!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Preorder Cars from Dubai: Prado, Hilux, Hiace, Benz, Coaster, Rolls-Royce... / ♒ ♒ Recover Your Lost/Stolen Custom Duty Documents Here ♒ / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.