Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG (20963 Views)

Egbetokun Decorates Frank Mba, Bala Ciroma As Police DIGs / Photos From The Burial Of Adamu Ciroma / Mallam Adamu Ciroma Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by Penguin2: 11:00pm On Jun 17, 2023
fergie001:
It's not about picking a COAS from your Zone, you have to pick someone that has control of the Army. Someone that has CAPACITY (in Asari Dokubo's voice)

The NW/NE have more people in the Army and they will breathe down on anyone who is not from their Zone. They frustrated Ihejirika out, his Petition was in the ICJ at some time.

No go rush pick your brother wey no get capacity, you will still become exposed. When he wanted re-election, he threw out Ihejirika, next he threw out his own brother, the late Azazi as NSA.

If your brother has a firm control in the Army, I mean entrenched fine, but if he isn't, there will be a revolt from within. Go and even check the names of Maj-Gens and co.... You will understand better grin, you need them for stability first before your eyes go reach ground.

Great points here. Never really looked at it from that angle.

But these things are usually systemic sha. If I look at the rank of the Major Generals and above, and they are dominated by people I’m not comfortable with especially after proper security checks on them, I would then choose from the rank of the Brigadier Generals and force out the Major Generals.

Remember that Ihejirika was appointed COAS from the Brig General rank. But I don’t think it was his lack of control/influence on the lower ranks to caused him his job.

You know that time the north was in bed with Boko Haram and was using it as a political tool. But Ihejirika was tough on Boko Haram which made some northerners start some stupid propaganda that “Jonathan the wanted to wipe out their region”.

When they persisted with that narrative, with Buhari even lending his voice at some point, Jonathan feared he might lose northern votes if Ihejirika continued. That’s why he had to sacrifice him. So, I don’t think it’s because Ihejirika didn’t have control of the Army.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by modelsms(m): 11:10pm On Jun 17, 2023
lhordspy:

Two mistakes.

Firstly. In the DIG rank. Mba has many seniors ahead of him. so making Mba IGP will automatically retire those guys. So him staying as AIG before appointment as IG and him being a DIG before appointment is still same. Lot of DiGs will retire. The only thing that can save Mba too is if he is appointed as IG. Anything other than that is retirement in few weeks for him.

Secondly. It is not a must for Tinubu to appoint an easterner as service chief. He owes nobody anything. It is by choice.

You seem to know about the modus operandi of the force.

Like you one too?
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by fergie001: 11:59pm On Jun 17, 2023
Penguin2:
Great points here. Never really looked at it from that angle.

But these things are usually systemic sha. If I look at the rank of the Major Generals and above, and they are dominated by people I’m not comfortable with especially after proper security checks on them, I would then choose from the rank of the Brigadier Generals and force out the Major Generals.

Remember that Ihejirika was appointed COAS from the Brig General rank. But I don’t think it was his lack of control/influence on the lower ranks to caused him his job.
It will be bad for the service especially now in times of insurgency when the Army needs all the experience she can get.

Ihejirika was a Maj-Gen before he was appointed. He was in the NA Engrg and at a time headed the 41 Div Engrg in KD.. He had a good rise too and was deservedly COAS. Infact the first soldier from the Engrg Section to be COAS. He is of RC18, the same set as the present Sultan of Sokoto.

From the time of Jalo, Wushishi, IBB and co, the COAS are picked from the Maj-Gen. I remember IBB was COAS when Buhari was Head of State, he was Maj-Gen with Abacha, Nasko & co as Brig-Gen.

Ihejirika's father is a millionaire construction magnate (now late), and again the late Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu and Gen Ike Nwachukwu are from the same place as Ihejirika (Ovim in Isuikwuato LGA), so there is enough capacity.

He was removed for political expediency, the North didn't like him and they didn't hide it.

You know that time the north was in bed with Boko Haram and was using it as a political tool. But Ihejirika was tough on Boko Haram which made some northerners start some stupid propaganda that “Jonathan the wanted to wipe out their region”.
There will always be the reason of we want someone who knows the terrain to tackle insurgency. That will be the tactics as always... like the present COAS was brought in. He was Theatre Commander, Operation Hadin Kai before his elevation/

When they persisted with that narrative, with Buhari even lending his voice at some point, Jonathan feared he might lose northern votes if Ihejirika continued. That’s why he had to sacrifice him. So, I don’t think it’s because Ihejirika didn’t have control of the Army.
Yes, Ihejirika and Azazi were sacrificed for political reasons.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by senatordave1(m): 12:27am On Jun 18, 2023
fergie001:

Good, someone who has two years from the 1990 set can be IGP so when he leaves, it's clear coast for Mba or his set. That was how the Okiro/Onovo saga played out.

It shouldn't just be about age. I am not looking at Mba, I am looking at the Force and the morale, again, what message does this send for someone who has been an AIG for 3 months and later DIG to head the force, it's a bit not OK experience-wise for me. I will complain if anybody is in same shoes.

Even though, he might eventually get it, give him sometime to gather some experience. He was promoted to CP in Dec 2020, he wasn't posted to anywhere (remained PPRO) till he went to NIPSS in Feb 2022, he graduated from NIPSS in Dec last year.

He was posted out in Feb 2023, by April he was AIG, by June, he is DIG..... Haba Haba (in Wike's voice), let's give the man some time.

garfield1

He has gathered enough experience...for the army,gen adesope is the best fit,he is course 38.we also have gen lagbaja,oluyede,alabi and akinjobi.if it's a northerner,then sambo Ali
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by Penguin2: 12:50am On Jun 18, 2023
fergie001:

It will be bad for the service especially now in times of insurgency when the Army needs all the experience she can get.

Ihejirika was a Maj-Gen before he was appointed. He was in the NA Engrg and at a time headed the 41 Div Engrg in KD.. He had a good rise too and was deservedly COAS. Infact the first soldier from the Engrg Section to be COAS. He is of RC18, the same set as the present Sultan of Sokoto.
Thank you for the clarification.

From the time of Jalo, Wushishi, IBB and co, the COAS are picked from the Maj-Gen. I remember IBB was COAS when Buhari was Head of State, he was Maj-Gen with Abacha, Nasko & co as Brig-Gen.

Ihejirika's father is a millionaire construction magnate (now late), and again the late Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu and Gen Ike Nwachukwu are from the same place as Ihejirika (Ovim in Isuikwuato LGA), so there is enough capacity.

He was removed for political expediency, the North didn't like him and they didn't hide it.

If there’s anybody that would end the northern stranglehold of the military, it would definitely be Tinubu.

I know it will be tough but somebody has got to do it and I think Tinubu will be the man.

Because the only reason you think Tinubu can’t comfortably appoint someone from the Southwest as COAS is because northerners dominate the military high ranks. This has got to end.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by senatordave1(m): 12:58am On Jun 18, 2023
Penguin2:

If there’s anybody that would end the northern stranglehold of the military, it would definitely be Tinubu.

I know it will be tough but somebody has got to do it and I think Tinubu will be the man.

Because the only reason you think Tinubu can’t comfortably appoint someone from the Southwest as COAS is because northerners dominate the military high ranks. This has got to end.

There are a lot of yorubas in the top brass.you cannot end the dominance of the north in the military.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by Penguin2: 1:53am On Jun 18, 2023
senatordave1:

There are a lot of yorubas in the top brass.you cannot end the dominance of the north in the military.
There are people of different regions in the top brass of the military but are you saying we are going to be perpetually under northern subjugation in the military?

Things must have to be evened out someday.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by senatordave1(m): 2:19am On Jun 18, 2023
Penguin2:

There are people of different regions in the top brass of the military but are you saying we are going to be perpetually under northern subjugation in the military?

Things must have to be evened out someday.

The military will always be populated by northerners.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by fergie001: 5:06am On Jun 18, 2023
Penguin2:

Why will it end when many Southerners, esp those in the SE will not join the Force. The last recruitment for Police, they were begging the SE to fill their slot, no way.

The SE has the smallest number yet nobody wants to join the Police. He has ability to stop it but will he join the Army himself?

During GEJ, he tried there however people have to be willing to massively enrol in the Force when they are needed.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by senatordave1(m): 5:53am On Jun 18, 2023
fergie001:

Why will it end when many Southerners, esp those in the SE will not join the Force. The last recruitment for Police, they were begging the SE to fill their slot, no way.

The SE has the smallest number yet nobody wants to join the Police. He has ability to stop it but will he join the Army himself?

During GEJ, he tried there however people have to be willing to massively enrol in the Force when they are needed.

Is John uwajumogu related to late sen uwajumogu?
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by Penguin2: 9:32am On Jun 18, 2023
fergie001:

Lol! It’s actually funny how both the army and police used to hawk their recruitments to the southeasterners yet nobody cares. Lol.

But you know why it is like that.

Since the beginning of insurgency in the Northeast, rumour has been rife that the military establishment recruits Igbos and push them to go fight Boko Haram. Now, the problem is not in pushing them to go fight Boko Haram (that’s what they signed up for after all), the problem is that some theatre commanders in the northeast will be supplying insurgents with intelligence on troops movements which exposes the troops to incessant massacre.

But while we were still thinking it was just rumours, we heard of a quelled mutiny at 82 Division Enugu when Igbo soldiers protested what they perceived was a sectional deployment of only Igbo soldiers to the war front in northeast while northerners are deployed to east to come intimidate our people.

Now, if you were a jobless Igbo guy, would you still go join the military with such tales? Except you want to commit suicide.

But trust me, if we have a leadership the Igbos can trust, you will see that the Igbos would have no problem joining the military in droves; and even the police.
Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by murphyrichy(m): 2:06pm On Jun 18, 2023
fergie001:
you have explained it so well to a lay man's understanding.
In the Police Act, there must be a DIG from every Zone.

Since the SE had no AiG and according to the Police Act every Zone must have it, CP Celestine Okoye was promoted straight to DIG, he retired in 2019.

No AIG still, CP Joseph Egbunike was promoted straight to DIG. They were both the most Senior Officers.

Amadi was promoted AIG as the most senior Officer and later DIG after the death of Egbunike. He retired on June 10, 2023.

Mba is the most Senior Officer (by rank not years of Service) from the SE and will leave the Police on 18/06/2027, Ciroma is also the most senior Officer from the NE... So there is no choice, they both have to cover the DIG slots for their Zones.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Frank Mba, Ciroma To DIG by Allnacruise(m): 9:06pm On Jun 19, 2023
Penguin2:

We keep our fingers crossed sha.

But my money is on Mba as IGP.

Considering that Tinubu will not be comfortable with an Igbo man as COAS, Chief of Air Staff, Chief of Naval Staff or even the useless Chief of Defense Staff, I’m hypothetisizing that he might concede the IGP position to southeast and Mba might get it.

Sope Otilor!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

CBN Bullion Van Rams Into Ogun Governor’s Convoy / Senate Inaugurates Constitution Review Committee / Kwankwaso Opens A Public School, Electricity Transformer, Borehole In Nasarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.