Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,846 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock (12297 Views)

91 Million Nigerians Now Living In Extreme Poverty - World Poverty Clock / Why Nigeria Emerged World Poverty Headquarters – Keyamo / Nigeria Overtakes India As Number 1 In World's Poverty Rating - Brookings Instit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Omooba77: 5:45pm On Jun 18, 2023
The number of extremely poor Nigerians currently stands at 71 million, according to 2023 data from World Poverty Clock.

The World Poverty Clock is a tool to monitor progress against poverty globally.

Tonye Cole, governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State, who quoted the data also said the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) classes 133 million people as multidimensionally poor.

He spoke Saturday in Abuja, at the Nigeria Zero Hunger Symposium, organised by T200 Foundation to mark World Hunger Day and unveiling of Nigeria’s hunger report.

Quoting the United Nations (UN), Cole said globally, 25,000 die daily from hunger, including more than 10,000 children.

According to him, Nigeria must design a simple, implementable, and sustainable poverty eradication model and stick to it over time.

He said, “Nigeria has the awful distinction of being the world capital of poverty, with 71 million people living in extreme poverty today (World Poverty Clock, 2023) and a total of 133 million people classed as multidimensionally poor according to National Bureau of Statistics data.

“In other words, about 828 million people will wake up every day having no idea when or where their next meal will come from, and many will go to bed that day without eating anything. This is according to a 2021 UN report. The UN further states that of these 828 million people, 25,000 will die today, including more than 10,000 children.

“Nigeria must design a simple, implementable, and sustainable poverty eradication model and stick to it over time.

“Other factors that contribute to hunger, such as violence, weak government, and health-care systems, must be addressed promptly if zero hunger is to be achieved. These are real difficulties in Nigeria and addressing them is critical not only for hunger eradication but also for the country’s overall progress.

“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s (GCFR) government is well positioned to push the goal of strengthening democratic institutions that will yield democratic dividends to the Nigerian people.”

According to the report by T200 Foundation, Nigeria has a Global Hunger Index score of 27.9, which falls into the serious hunger category. However, there are significant variations in the hunger index score across states.

It said the state with the highest hunger index score is Yobe, with a score of 44.2. Yobe also has the highest prevalence of undernourishment, which is 27.4%. This is more than twice the national average of 12.9%. Yobe also has the highest child-wasting rate of 22.5%, which is almost three times the national average of 7.9%.

Also, the state with the second-highest hunger index score is Sokoto, with a score of 42.1. Sokoto also has a high prevalence of undernourishment, which is 24.4%. The child wasting rate in Sokoto is 18.4%, which is more than twice the national average.

The report added that other states with high hunger index scores include Zamfara (37.2), Kebbi (34.5), and Jigawa (33.9). These states also have high rates of undernourishment and child wasting.

Amb. Emmanuel Osadebay, Executive Director T200 Foundation, said Nigeria needs collaboration among stakeholders to end hunger by 2030 in accordance with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

https://dailytrust.com/over-70m-nigerians-extremely-poor-world-poverty-clock/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by successmatters(m): 5:46pm On Jun 18, 2023
I wanted to doubt the news, till I visited Kwara state. You could meet poverty walking along every street.

199 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Armaggedon: 5:55pm On Jun 18, 2023
That is why they are 'successful' in Nigerian politics. Poverty is a tool of power ascendancy. Southwest is becoming like them.

146 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by successmatters(m): 5:56pm On Jun 18, 2023
Armaggedon:
That is why the are 'successful' in Nigerian politics. Poverty is a tool of power ascendancy. Southwest is getting there.

Exactly.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Ireportlive: 6:05pm On Jun 18, 2023
Lies
Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by DevilsEqual(m): 6:08pm On Jun 18, 2023
successmatters:
I wanted to doubt the news, till I visited Kwara state. You could meet poverty walking along every street.

Have u been to ebonyi recently, bro?

You'd think their ancestors reached a concensus in 1812 to only birth very impoverished individuals for centuries to come

There are NBS and Statisense facts that backed this my statement sef

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by festacman(m): 6:19pm On Jun 18, 2023
I agree. Reason why President Tinubu, having removed fuel subsidy, concluded plan to introduce tuition in Fed institutions and floated Naira, should NOW unveil his plan to stimulate the economy from agriculture, fishery, SMEs, entertainment, sports, etc. Also, plan to incentivize industrialization and entrepreneurship. It is about time.

My advice is that whatever Pres. Tinubu is doing, he should use his goodwill to involve state governors for multiplier effects in states across Nigeria. Unlike most of Buhari's programs that were only FG-driven with little impact.

8 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by izonborn098(m): 6:22pm On Jun 18, 2023
He pass like that, abeg

6 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by DevilsEqual(m): 6:28pm On Jun 18, 2023
successmatters:

Eb9nyi poverty dey learn work for Oyo or Kwara own dey. Whole villages begging to feed each day.

It's not funny at all.

NBS? Are you kidding me? 😳

You think this a tribal thing?
check out this thread created by a SE person in may 2023 and try to educate yourself on the Nigerian poverty index as put out by NBS

https://www.nairaland.com/7662893/map-ng-d-darker-ur#122687587

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by successmatters(m): 6:29pm On Jun 18, 2023
DevilsEqual:

You think this a tribal thing?
check out this thread created by a SE person in may 2023 and try to educate yourself on the Nigerian poverty index as put out by NBS

https://www.nairaland.com/7662893/map-ng-d-darker-ur#122687587

Baba, quit relying on online gossips and check your own backyard. You will see poverty lurking there.

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by 9182736455O1999(m): 6:31pm On Jun 18, 2023
Tribalists would always find all possible means to give away their ill-breded tribalic nature on every damn thread they open.
I'm not sure if you guys even realise how sickening the show is.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by successmatters(m): 6:34pm On Jun 18, 2023
9182736455O1999:
Tribalists would always find all possible means to give away their ill-breded tribalic nature on every damn thread they open.
I'm not sure if you guys even realise how sickening the show is.

People relied on tribal hate to rig elections in this country. Hope you're not forgetting it?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Hatrick01: 6:37pm On Jun 18, 2023
95% of those 70m are in the north.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by DevilsEqual(m): 6:41pm On Jun 18, 2023
successmatters:

Baba, quit relying on online gossips and check your own backyard. You will see poverty lurking there.

Bro, i dont have the strength to go import stats from NBS or Statisense....You can check their websites to update yourself on the latest stats from 2022

Nigerians should read more and be content filled and not just rely on emotions to react to real life issues
Ondo state has the least number of poor people, kwara made top 10 and Oyo is ahead of Ebonyi...In fact, Ebonyi is the worst in the south

Reading up on facts easily pass you off as being current and learned, you would be able to debunk lies and counter claims with facts rather than emotions

By the way, I live in Anambra state and what do u mean by "your backyard"

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Flight90: 6:44pm On Jun 18, 2023
The question should be "How will you bring the poor Nigerians out of poverty"?

2 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Flets: 6:45pm On Jun 18, 2023
And the current FG is bent on increasing that number

Fuel subsidy removed ..... savings to be looted like that of kerosene and diesel
Electricity tariff to be increased July 1 ...... death to small and medium scale businesses
Funding of tertiary education stopped ...... many youths to drop out of school
Naira further devalued ..... USD to hit 1000 naira to USD in few months

The only constant, is that the looting continues for the political class. Tinubu already created the largesse by all the new policies and supposed savings.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by anungangampu: 7:32pm On Jun 18, 2023
festacman:
I agree. Reason why President Tinubu, having removed fuel subsidy, concluded plan to introduce tuition in Fed institutions and floated Naira, should NOW unveil his plan to stimulate the economy from agriculture, fishery, SMEs, entertainment, sports, etc. Also, plan to incentivize industrialization and entrepreneurship. It is about time.

My advice is that whatever Pres. Tinubu is doing, he should use his goodwill to involve state governors for multiplier effects in states across Nigeria. Unlike most of Buhari's programs that were only FG-driven with little impact.
Big grammar. Who would protect farmers against attack from herdsmen?
This should be the focus. Those living inside villages shouldn't be worried about food if not that they can't farm unlike before.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Omooba77: 9:11pm On Jun 18, 2023
Mynd44, Nlfpmod.......
May the Lord lift Nigerians out of poverty......
Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Cholls(m): 9:13pm On Jun 18, 2023
successmatters:
my brothers and sisters wanted to doubt the news, till I visited Abia state. You could meet poverty walking along every street.

8 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by SpatialKing(m): 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2023
What has APC government achieved in the last 8yrs?

8 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by jmoore(m): 9:15pm On Jun 18, 2023
Omooba77:
Mynd44, Nlfpmod....... May the Lord lift Nigerians out of poverty...... ....
Did Nigerians vote God to be their president?

13 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Omooba77: 9:32pm On Jun 18, 2023
jmoore:

Did Nigerians vote God to be their president?
God is always the constant 'C' in any equation.....

2 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by RawSex(m): 10:01pm On Jun 18, 2023
successmatters:
I never believed u could touch poverty till I went to that state; If u want to see poverty in person visit there grin

23 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Omooba77: 8:16am On Jun 19, 2023
Nigerians are suffering, this fuel palaver is getting beyond people reach........

4 Likes

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by SmartPolician: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2023
APC will always be remembered for leaving Nigeria the world's poorest country.

I hope Escobar can change the narratives though.

On second thought, with the way his online propaganda machinery has been gaslighting us lately, they will claim that Nigeria is the richest country in the world before the expiration of his tenure.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by marlow1962(m): 10:07am On Jun 19, 2023
Una never see anything yet.
I know poverty is everywhere in the world o, but you see black skin poverty is extreme.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Kion: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2023
North and west then east angry
Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by fixitbyjal(m): 10:07am On Jun 19, 2023
sad

I will never be poor
Support my hustle

I track Lost or stolen devices
A trial Will convince you

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by AntiChristian: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2023
Na who dey do this counting?
Re: Over 70m Nigerians Extremely Poor – World Poverty Clock by Okiton: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2023
grin

Oya oOoOOh

Let's look at the poverty index in Nigeria locally
Which region in Nigeria having the most people living in extreme poverty?
Garfield
Batified
FreestuffNG
Ihorspy
Helineus

Leodeking

Come over to the table let's deliberate on this matter locally

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#takeitback Movement: Pictures From AAC's Grassroots Campaign Rally In Benue / Action Alliance Seeks Tinubu, Shettima’s Disqualification Over Double Nomination / Pan-yoruba Urges Southwest Nigerian State Governors To Establish O’odua Airlines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.