Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me (22444 Views)

Olajide Rilwan Lekan Graduates From Russian Medical School With As / UNN Medical School Thread / Cynthia Chizoba Okoye Graduates As Doctor From Tulane University Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by DrAda(f): 11:57am On Jun 20, 2023
You are definitely on point with the extra curricular activities and being in good standing with your teachers and seniors.

I am still benefiting from both despite finishing medical school almost 20 years ago.

Well done

8 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by EleventhWeirdo: 11:57am On Jun 20, 2023
Jesus Christ, this post is so underrated. Under sane circumstances, it should be garnering about 1000+ likes rn. It's pathetic that people would rather engage posts about Hilda Baci, politics or Kenya sex marathon, and all these say a lot about why we are here as a society. OP, God bless you as you've impacted me immensely by this post. Following you right away with my both accounts cheesy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Oritna94(m): 11:57am On Jun 20, 2023
Hmm, medical school.. It brings back memories. The reading was not here. With occasional resits of courses and even repeating a class. Na God save man during medical school. A lot of my colleagues dropped out because they couldn't cope. Now I am reaping the fruit of my labour.

11 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by callmevirus(m): 12:00pm On Jun 20, 2023
Gppgn:
Oga all courses are like that... music hard pass medical school self

Na music you go do?
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Emperormartin(m): 12:01pm On Jun 20, 2023
You're very intelligent
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Emperormartin(m): 12:03pm On Jun 20, 2023
Oritna94:
Hmm, medical school.. It brings back memories. The reading was not here. With occasional resits of courses and even repeating a class. Na God save man during medical school. A lot of my colleagues dropped out because they couldn't cope. Now I am reaping the fruit of my labour.
Nigerians aren't educationally inclined again.
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by GreyLaw(m): 12:04pm On Jun 20, 2023
StemCellTherapi:
The world has moved from Drugs to Regenerative Medicine.

Regenerative Medicine is Stem Cell Therapy.

The most affordable of all Stem Cell Therapy in the world now is Plant Stem Cell Therapy.

Anybody battling any chronic Sicknesses, Diseases and Ailments for years, taking orthodox drugs and hospital medications without any positive results now should look into being on Plant Stem Cell Therapy because it is the future of Medicine.

Plant Stem Cell Therapy gives complete HEALING.

Facts! And many of such therapies exist as "supplements" and are quite expensive. But it's the future.
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by GreyLaw(m): 12:05pm On Jun 20, 2023
Gppgn:

How music take hard pass medical school. Abeg rest. Music wey even pikin of 3 years wey dey talented dey meelsmerise adults for concert.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Lvgirl: 12:06pm On Jun 20, 2023
Hmm medical school
If I start saying what my eyes see at ashawo corner nairaland will full.
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by gtassure: 12:06pm On Jun 20, 2023
Akwamkpuruamu:
Medical sciences is not for the average Joe on the street
Now, this one have started worshipping Medical career!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by GreyLaw(m): 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:
Jesus Christ, this post is so underrated. Under sane circumstances, it should be garnering about 1000+ likes rn. It's pathetic that people would rather engage posts about Hilda Baci, politics or Kenya sex marathon, and all these say a lot about why we are here as a society. OP, God bless you as you've impacted me immensely by this post. Following you right away with my both accounts cheesy

Yeah.. the way the world is now with entertainment and corrupt money, people don't care anymore. Education really isn't about making money because in the US and some parts of Europe you'll have enough money to buy your own property even without education. So education is really about enlightenment and helping others.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Akwamkpuruamu: 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2023
gtassure:

Now, this one have started worshipping Medical career!

I am fully satisfied as an Entrepreneur. Nothing concerns me with career worship. But I'm telling you it's not a sourse for the average Joe

2 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Dshocker(m): 12:11pm On Jun 20, 2023
TONYE001:
Hello!

In this post, I'd be sharing ten (10) lessons I picked from medical school. I do hope that this post benefits someone somewhere.

1. Our Abilities are Stretchable.
Many years ago as a student of Human Physiology, I used to wonder how medical students can read large volumes of information and recall the same in their exams. In Physiology, we ran a semester system where we studied selected body systems, and our exams are limited to that system. For example, in Year 2 first semester, we studied Blood and Body Fluid Physiology; our exam was limited to this system, and after the semester, we'd not be required to recall the information about this system in any other exam. In the worst-case scenario, we may need to APPLY the lessons learnt in the previous semesters.

The situation in medical school is different. In the Year 3 professional examination, candidates are required to recall ALL they have been taught in their first two years in medschool. Candidates must remember all they have learnt in Human Anatomy (including genetics in some centres), Human Physiology, and Medical Biochemistry. In the Path-Pharm medical board examination, candidates must recall all they've learnt in Pathology (Medical Microbiology, Haematology, Histopathology, and Chemical Pathology) and Pharmacology. Actually, this is enormous, and I want to believe that some people may be wondering how this is possible, just like I had once wondered.

Well, I now know. The answer is that the human mind is stretchable. Once there is a need to do a particular thing, the mind contorts itself in its preparation to achieve the given goal. There is absolutely nothing special about this. It's an ability EVERY mind has, with a little perseverance and discipline here and there, anyone can achieve this. The reason it seemed impossible/difficult then was because I didn't need to recall everything in a given exam; if I had had such a need, I too would have weathered the storm, all things being equal.

2. Medical Students need a Good Support System

Well, every student needs a good support system. But in medschool, this is particularly important. Your support system may be your parents, siblings, friends, roommates, spouse, etc. In medschool, there are some very low moments. Examples include a poor exam outcome, having to repeat an entire year, cashlessness, etc. I remember when I had to resit Anatomy in my first professional medical board exams. It was a crazy moment as I had never expected this blow. I remember getting on a night bus the same day I saw the result. I went home to spend some time with my family. My wife was very instrumental in my healing process. My wife was (is) my support system, and she did a pretty great job. I got back to school, retook the exam, passed, and joined my colleagues in the hospital.

As you prepare to go into medschool, it will be wise to begin to organize/identify your support system. This is one reason you must scrutinize anyone that wants access to your life. Your circle must be made of reliable people you can turn to for advice, encouragement, etc.

3. Hard Work and Smart Work are both Necessary.
People tend to subscribe to philosophies that substitute hard work for smart work. This is fast becoming generally accepted, but I don't completely agree with this. In my opinion, both are necessary and important. There are times one needs to work hard, and there are other times one must work smart.

I employed these two concepts in medschool. I did hard work during the session. I ensured I read and had a good grasp of the things I should know. I like understanding concepts, not just holding on to outputs. Let me explain; instead of knowing that excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes mellitus, I prefer knowing HOW diabetes mellitus can make patients excessively thirsty. These concepts and pathology mechanisms help me work things out if/when I forget the details. In exam periods (like the MB exams), I employ smart work. To me, this isn't the time for hard work. I study the patterns of questions, I look at common diseases in a given subspecialty, and I study the body languages of our lecturers. This worked for me most of the time, in times that it didn't work, I fall back to the mechanisms I had grasped and navigate my way through the exam.

For example, let us consider a candidate preparing to take an assessment on the gross anatomy of the upper extremities. Hard work for this candidate will be ensuring he/she reads everything about the upper limbs. This should be done long before the exams. As the exam approach, this candidate will be smart if he ensures he internalizes things like the brachial plexus, course, and distribution of major arteries and nerves (axillary artery, median nerve, etc). This candidate will also be smart if he goes through previous questions; not just memorizing them but understanding their patterns.

4. You can do Extra-Curricular Activities in Medschool and Still be Successful

I've met some medstudents that lived a triangular life. They go to class, then fellowships, and to night class. They hardly are involved in anything outside of academic work. This isn't bad, especially if this is what they want. But if you believe this is the only way to go through the training successfully, then you are grossly misinformed.

Life is beyond medicine, really. You can enjoy other activities in life and still be a very successful medical student. For example, you can be involved in politics, entertainment, freelancing, etc. I've been freelancing for over three years now. While preparing for my final MB exams, I got a series of jobs; I needed the cash so I took all the jobs that came my way. Sometimes, while my colleagues read through the night, I was writing papers for clients.

The only way to successfully achieve this is to ensure you work hard whenever you have the time. The harder you work, the more free time you create for yourself in the future. I was able to spare some nights for freelancing in the heat of my final professional exam (the most important of all exams written in medschool) because I had worked hard long before this time. I think this is straightforward and does not need further explanations.

5. Anything is Possible.

In life, anything is possible. I believe anyone can achieve any dream in the right circumstances. I don't think becoming a medical doctor is reserved for a particular group of people. In fact, in some Western societies, anyone can study medicine irrespective of their background.

Some dreams may take a while, but you can still achieve them. I'm a medical doctor today, this was a dream I first chased 17 years ago. But I did not fold my hands hoping to get into medschool all these years. In these 17 years, I got two degrees (a bachelor's and a master's degree), I served my fatherland (NYSC), I started a career (which I later dropped to return to school), I got married, and we have four wonderful children. I'm very grateful that I've been able to achieve this today. The wound has suddenly healed. The pains are gone. I now feel fulfilled. I now feel satisfied. I'm now ready for the next challenge life has got for me.

So, some of you may have tried several times to get into medschool. This is a common finding. While I urge you to continue trying, I'd advise you to ensure you get your lives going. Don't join the medicine-or-nothing gang, I don't think there's much sense in that. I know some people that spent years looking for medicine, they paused their lives in all these years. All they did was to write UTME, read for the next UTME, and the cycle repeats. Some of them fail out of medschool after getting in. Guess what? They fall to nothing. They fall back to stage 1. Time, effort, finances, and opportunities lost. Again, perhaps, you should realize that retaking an exam without assessing why you failed it in the first instance is analogous to repeating failure as you'd likely fail in your subsequent trials. Ensure you take out time to analyze why you failed an exam before retrying.

6. Be a Good Support System to Others.

I earlier mentioned that in medschool, you need the right support system. This is absolutely true. But, don't be greedy. Also, ensure you're a good support system to others. In life, we take to give (we don't necessarily give to take though). Life is a closed system where things go around. We all have materials another person needs to climb to his/her next level. If we refuse to share or reach out, we'd be hampering the progress of that person. Reaching out to others, and helping where and when needed WITHOUT expecting anything in return should be basic human thinking. In life, we take to give, we don't take to keep.

7. GO TO YOUR POSTINGS!
If you're a medical student reading this, please, as much as possible, ensure you are present in all the meetings you're expected to participate in. Attend classes, practical sessions, go to your clinics, ward rounds, theatres, emergency call duties, etc. Just show up.
Some of the questions in my Paediatrics exam were about cases we managed in the Emergency Paediatric Unit (EPU) of our facility. If I hadn't gone to call the times these cases were managed, I may not have answered those questions satisfactorily. You may not have the chance to read some of these things in the books. Seeing these cases being managed will usually stick to your memory, and you never can tell when you'd need this information.

Also, for those that understand what "ophthalmology" is in medschool, you'd agree with me that showing up is very important.

8. Malaria Prophylaxis

In our environment, taking malaria prophylaxis is part of prepping for your exams. Some of my colleagues came down with malaria while we prepared for our final MB exams, and this wasn't funny. Ensure you protect yourself from malaria, use insecticide-treated mosquito nets, clean your environment, don't unnecessarily expose yourselves, and take prophylaxis before any major exam.

9. Be in Good Standing with your Lecturers and be Humble, Respectful, and Teachable.

Do I need to emphasize this?

10. GOD!!!

This may be the last, but it's the most important. I'm a Christian, and I believe in the power of God Almighty. It is God that made it possible for me to come this far. It is God that will keep me. It is God that will ensure I go farther than this.

Throughout my training, my trust was in Jehovah, my Creator. I knew He didn't bring me this far to abandon me. I knew He would see me through, and He did. I still trust in Him, and with this trust, I know I'd make further progress in life.

Turn to God, guys, not because you want success, but because it is the right thing to do.

Conclusion

Going through medical school is a serious business. It's one of the most stressful endeavours in education. I once argued that it is more difficult to stay in than to get in. But guess what? IT IS POSSIBLE. You just need to properly plan your game before you come in. Many people think all they need to do is to prepare for WASSCE and UTME, write and smash these exams. Na, preparing for medschool is beyond this. You must make plans for finances, you must develop your strategy, and you must establish a support system.

I honestly hope this post will provide more insight into medical school in Nigeria.

Thank you.

My problem with all these, is after going through a medical school, you are faced with a salary of less than 150k, some medical doctors here in Nigeria earns below 60k.

1 Like

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by spencekat(m): 12:15pm On Jun 20, 2023
Gppgn:
Just that some courses require more dedication and determination.No need for your unnecessary comparison.I always tell people no course is hard to study,you are the person who determines if it is hard or not.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by dondodo: 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2023
VeryWickedMan:
Medical school taught me that inserting my preeq can wake a coma patient.

I can never forget that day.
We both screamed.
See this cow
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Onyi90(m): 12:30pm On Jun 20, 2023
Congratulations šŸŽ‰. It's an inspirational piece.ay God bring You to His ordained place for Your Life.

Jesus Is the only way to God. John 14:6
Accept Him today as Your personal Lord and savior

2 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by DeLaRue: 12:34pm On Jun 20, 2023
BucketMan:
It's similar to what is obtainable in Law School, we had several people fainting in the hall during the Bar Final Exams... Bottom line is to be a Big Man is not easy.

A student of above average capacity can do well in law school.

It is unlikely that law is in the same category as medicine in terms of the effort required to pass. The tales I have heard about getting through medical school all seem harrowing. They can't all be exaggerating.

The issue with many law students is they don't start getting truly serious until they get to year 3 or 4.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by OboOlora(f): 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2023
First Nairaland post Iā€™m bookmarking
Brilliant write up Op
Those no 1 and no 10 are no brainer

2 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by ericfabulous(m): 12:42pm On Jun 20, 2023
Insightful
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by BucketMan: 12:43pm On Jun 20, 2023
DeLaRue:

A student of above average capacity can do well in law school.

It is unlikely that law is in the same category as medicine in terms of the effort required to pass.
are you trying to say Halima Buhari the daughter of former President Buhari who failed the Bar exams twice while her father was on seat was not an average student?

I'm not even talking about the basic law course done in universities, I'm talking about the professional one year programme at the Nigerian Law School, where former Governor Rotimi Amaechi is currently a student of... It's not something I can explain on the internet, you need to go there to experience it for yourself.
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Iupacnomenclatu(f): 12:48pm On Jun 20, 2023
I wish i had seen this post several years ago.I was then the president of 'medicine-or nothing' gang lol...
It wasted seven years of my life!I still struggle with the psychological pain sometimes..

3 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by DeLaRue: 12:48pm On Jun 20, 2023
BucketMan:
are you trying to say Halima Buhari the daughter of former President Buhari who failed the Bar exams twice while her father was on seat was not an average student?

I'm not even talking about the basic law course done in universities, I'm talking about the professional one year programme at the Nigerian Law School, where former Governor Rotimi Amaechi is currently a student of... It's not something I can explain on the internet, you need to go there to experience it for yourself.

I am talking from personal experience.

By the way, I am not saying law is easy. Of course it isn't.

But it is also not the hardest, particularly if you start working hard from year 1, nail down the fundamentals of key subjects such as contract law, tort, equity, land law, and criminal law and have good exam craft.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by OmonnakOdapig: 12:52pm On Jun 20, 2023
alphaconde:
The greatest men the world has had didn't use up to 50% of their capabilities.

There's nowhere your mind cannot take u.
cool
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by ppogba: 12:58pm On Jun 20, 2023
The guy did not mention what I was expecting.

Someone who has passed through the school th said that in the course of studying together and reading, the type of banging that goes on between them especially for night reading no be small. Even when they are not lovers.

OP, please.confirm.
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Karlifate: 12:59pm On Jun 20, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Farid24224(m): 1:07pm On Jun 20, 2023
Sir, please can you advise me... Am a 3rd year Human Physiology but wants to study Medicine. Earlier when I started uni I encountered alot of difficulties both at home and at school... It really affected me emotionally which led to my poor performance but I thank God am really better now..

Am 21 years with a low CGPA (2.15) and a potential spill student. Should I go for Medicine after am done with Physiology or just try pursuing it now!!

Thanks!!!
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by ppogba: 1:12pm On Jun 20, 2023
BucketMan:

The guy you quoted said a " student above average" and you are saying average. These are two different classes.
Truth is, in any exam, I want to align with the guy that a student above average will pass. Medical school not exempted.
In the case of the lady you mentioned, a lot needs to be unravelled concerning who she passed through her uni. It is not impossible that there were "aids, support and push" here and there. I am not saying her name would have done that for her.
A lady went to the Law School with first class from a public uni I will not mention. She was struggling and the LS had to write her school to confirm that there was no mistake somewhere.
Education or learning is about gabbage in and gabbage out.
Have you ever wondered while secondary school students with wonderful wasce results are struggling in year 1 and end up with 6 carry overs in year 2?

The more you look......
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Gppgn(f): 1:21pm On Jun 20, 2023
GreyLaw:

How music take hard pass medical school. Abeg rest. Music wey even pikin of 3 years wey dey talented dey meelsmerise adults for concert.
shut up.. which 3 years old

. no matter how gifted a 3 yrs old is... the voice isn't mature for something serious yet
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by lawrenzooo: 1:33pm On Jun 20, 2023
TONYE001:

I've met some medstudents that lived a triangular life. They go to class, then fellowships, and to night class. They hardly are involved in anything outside of academic work. This isn't bad, especially if this is what they want. But if you believe this is the only way to go through the training successfully, then you are grossly misinformed.

Life is beyond medicine, really. You can enjoy other activities in life and still be a very successful medical student. For example, you can be involved in politics, entertainment, freelancing, etc. I've been freelancing for over three years now. While preparing for my final MB exams, I got a series of jobs; I needed the cash so I took all the jobs that came my way. Sometimes, while my colleagues read through the night, I was writing papers for clients.

The only way to successfully achieve this is to ensure you work hard whenever you have the time. The harder you work, the more free time you create for yourself in the future. I was able to spare some nights for freelancing in the heat of my final professional exam (the most important of all exams written in medschool) because I had worked hard long before this time. I think this is straightforward and does not need further explanations.

It took me 4 years to actually believe my friend was a medical student. When he's home on break we play tennis to 1am after hanging out all day.

It was always looking as though he's school was on strike because I no dey see my guy with book.

He's dad always ask him "are you still in med school".

Las las he's a medical doctor today.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by jara: 1:34pm On Jun 20, 2023
Good write-up. I think most professions go through similar situation if you want to be successful.

It is silly to say one study is more strenuous than another. Music, RKRK Yoruba are easier or such chest beating. Professor Babalawo Abimbola has done more for African Humanity in culture and medicine than or equally with Professors Lambo and Olukoye Kuti. The irony is that while Prof. Abimbola is revered worldwide, Professors Lambo and Kuti have been overshadowed at home critics.

Nevertheless, the professors contribution to medicine inspired the children of Babalawo and barefoot doctors world wide to excel in medicine. You may not know it because they do not publish for fear of losing patrons (patent secret). They are the ones that sell their fathers' know-how individually.

But they combine African medicine with Western medicine like their colleagues in Asia.
Re: 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me by Ekpekus(m): 1:34pm On Jun 20, 2023
TONYE001:
Hello!

In this post, I'd be sharing ten (10) lessons I picked from medical school. I do hope that this post benefits someone somewhere.

1. Our Abilities are Stretchable.
Many years ago as a student of Human Physiology, I used to wonder how medical students can read large volumes of information and recall the same in their exams. In Physiology, we ran a semester system where we studied selected body systems, and our exams are limited to that system. For example, in Year 2 first semester, we studied Blood and Body Fluid Physiology; our exam was limited to this system, and after the semester, we'd not be required to recall the information about this system in any other exam. In the worst-case scenario, we may need to APPLY the lessons learnt in the previous semesters.

The situation in medical school is different. In the Year 3 professional examination, candidates are required to recall ALL they have been taught in their first two years in medschool. Candidates must remember all they have learnt in Human Anatomy (including genetics in some centres), Human Physiology, and Medical Biochemistry. In the Path-Pharm medical board examination, candidates must recall all they've learnt in Pathology (Medical Microbiology, Haematology, Histopathology, and Chemical Pathology) and Pharmacology. Actually, this is enormous, and I want to believe that some people may be wondering how this is possible, just like I had once wondered.

Well, I now know. The answer is that the human mind is stretchable. Once there is a need to do a particular thing, the mind contorts itself in its preparation to achieve the given goal. There is absolutely nothing special about this. It's an ability EVERY mind has, with a little perseverance and discipline here and there, anyone can achieve this. The reason it seemed impossible/difficult then was because I didn't need to recall everything in a given exam; if I had had such a need, I too would have weathered the storm, all things being equal.

2. Medical Students need a Good Support System

Well, every student needs a good support system. But in medschool, this is particularly important. Your support system may be your parents, siblings, friends, roommates, spouse, etc. In medschool, there are some very low moments. Examples include a poor exam outcome, having to repeat an entire year, cashlessness, etc. I remember when I had to resit Anatomy in my first professional medical board exams. It was a crazy moment as I had never expected this blow. I remember getting on a night bus the same day I saw the result. I went home to spend some time with my family. My wife was very instrumental in my healing process. My wife was (is) my support system, and she did a pretty great job. I got back to school, retook the exam, passed, and joined my colleagues in the hospital.

As you prepare to go into medschool, it will be wise to begin to organize/identify your support system. This is one reason you must scrutinize anyone that wants access to your life. Your circle must be made of reliable people you can turn to for advice, encouragement, etc.

3. Hard Work and Smart Work are both Necessary.
People tend to subscribe to philosophies that substitute hard work for smart work. This is fast becoming generally accepted, but I don't completely agree with this. In my opinion, both are necessary and important. There are times one needs to work hard, and there are other times one must work smart.

I employed these two concepts in medschool. I did hard work during the session. I ensured I read and had a good grasp of the things I should know. I like understanding concepts, not just holding on to outputs. Let me explain; instead of knowing that excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes mellitus, I prefer knowing HOW diabetes mellitus can make patients excessively thirsty. These concepts and pathology mechanisms help me work things out if/when I forget the details. In exam periods (like the MB exams), I employ smart work. To me, this isn't the time for hard work. I study the patterns of questions, I look at common diseases in a given subspecialty, and I study the body languages of our lecturers. This worked for me most of the time, in times that it didn't work, I fall back to the mechanisms I had grasped and navigate my way through the exam.

For example, let us consider a candidate preparing to take an assessment on the gross anatomy of the upper extremities. Hard work for this candidate will be ensuring he/she reads everything about the upper limbs. This should be done long before the exams. As the exam approach, this candidate will be smart if he ensures he internalizes things like the brachial plexus, course, and distribution of major arteries and nerves (axillary artery, median nerve, etc). This candidate will also be smart if he goes through previous questions; not just memorizing them but understanding their patterns.

5. Anything is Possible.

In life, anything is possible. I believe anyone can achieve any dream in the right circumstances. I don't think becoming a medical doctor is reserved for a particular group of people. In fact, in some Western societies, anyone can study medicine irrespective of their background.

Some dreams may take a while, but you can still achieve them. I'm a medical doctor today, this was a dream I first chased 17 years ago. But I did not fold my hands hoping to get into medschool all these years. In these 17 years, I got two degrees (a bachelor's and a master's degree), I served my fatherland (NYSC), I started a career (which I later dropped to return to school), I got married, and we have four wonderful children. I'm very grateful that I've been able to achieve this today. The wound has suddenly healed. The pains are gone. I now feel fulfilled. I now feel satisfied. I'm now ready for the next challenge life has got for me.

So, some of you may have tried several times to get into medschool. This is a common finding. While I urge you to continue trying, I'd advise you to ensure you get your lives going. Don't join the medicine-or-nothing gang, I don't think there's much sense in that. I know some people that spent years looking for medicine, they paused their lives in all these years. All they did was to write UTME, read for the next UTME, and the cycle repeats. Some of them fail out of medschool after getting in. Guess what? They fall to nothing. They fall back to stage 1. Time, effort, finances, and opportunities lost. Again, perhaps, you should realize that retaking an exam without assessing why you failed it in the first instance is analogous to repeating failure as you'd likely fail in your subsequent trials. Ensure you take out time to analyze why you failed an exam before retrying.

6. Be a Good Support System to Others.

I earlier mentioned that in medschool, you need the right support system. This is absolutely true. But, don't be greedy. Also, ensure you're a good support system to others. In life, we take to give (we don't necessarily give to take though). Life is a closed system where things go around. We all have materials another person needs to climb to his/her next level. If we refuse to share or reach out, we'd be hampering the progress of that person. Reaching out to others, and helping where and when needed WITHOUT expecting anything in return should be basic human thinking. In life, we take to give, we don't take to keep.

7. GO TO YOUR POSTINGS!
If you're a medical student reading this, please, as much as possible, ensure you are present in all the meetings you're expected to participate in. Attend classes, practical sessions, go to your clinics, ward rounds, theatres, emergency call duties, etc. Just show up.
Some of the questions in my Paediatrics exam were about cases we managed in the Emergency Paediatric Unit (EPU) of our facility. If I hadn't gone to call the times these cases were managed, I may not have answered those questions satisfactorily. You may not have the chance to read some of these things in the books. Seeing these cases being managed will usually stick to your memory, and you never can tell when you'd need this information.

Also, for those that understand what "ophthalmology" is in medschool, you'd agree with me that showing up is very important.

8. Malaria Prophylaxis

In our environment, taking malaria prophylaxis is part of prepping for your exams. Some of my colleagues came down with malaria while we prepared for our final MB exams, and this wasn't funny. Ensure you protect yourself from malaria, use insecticide-treated mosquito nets, clean your environment, don't unnecessarily expose yourselves, and take prophylaxis before any major exam.

9. Be in Good Standing with your Lecturers and be Humble, Respectful, and Teachable.

Do I need to emphasize this?

10. GOD!!!

This may be the last, but it's the most important. I'm a Christian, and I believe in the power of God Almighty. It is God that made it possible for me to come this far. It is God that will keep me. It is God that will ensure I go farther than this.

Throughout my training, my trust was in Jehovah, my Creator. I knew He didn't bring me this far to abandon me. I knew He would see me through, and He did. I still trust in Him, and with this trust, I know I'd make further progress in life.

Turn to God, guys, not because you want success, but because it is the right thing to do.

Conclusion

Going through medical school is a serious business. It's one of the most stressful endeavours in education. I once argued that it is more difficult to stay in than to get in. But guess what? IT IS POSSIBLE. You just need to properly plan your game before you come in. Many people think all they need to do is to prepare for WASSCE and UTME, write and smash these exams. Na, preparing for medschool is beyond this. You must make plans for finances, you must develop your strategy, and you must establish a support system.

I honestly hope this post will provide more insight into medical school in Nigeria.

Thank you.

Add build relationships with both those ahead and those coming behind. After med school you will need them.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Official Thread For Jamb 2012 Accredited Registration Centres / FG Budgets ā‚¦230.9ā€¬ Billion For 14 Nigerian Universities / Yoruba Cultural Day In My School(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.