Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? (31690 Views)

Drinking Garri: Who Else Will Never Stop Enjoying This Food? / Help! I Can't Stop Drinking Tin Milk Everyday / Five Reasons You Must Stop Drinking Garri Before 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by pocohantas(f): 3:58pm On Jun 23, 2023
Sequel to this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/7739156/increase-price-water

Why did majority of us make the switch to sachet water, commonly called pure water?

As a child I drank tap water and it was refreshing. I remember we would keep Ragolis containers when we are opportuned to lay our hands on table water, fill it with water and put it in the fridge. We served it to guests and no one freaked out.

In my house I have no memory of us boiling this water. We fetched it directly from the tap and dispensed into our Ragolis containers that had seen better days. These Ragolis containers had to endure until we were able to source new ones. Sometimes any fine plastic or even bottle was just perfect for the job. We give it the initial hot water treatment and it is ready for use.

We used to go to houses with boreholes, pay them for just one 20L rubber and that water would be strictly for drinking. Fast forward to 2023, most houses in urban areas have personal boreholes and can't drink same water. The houses some of us fetched from, we didn't know if they had washed their tanks in 300 years. They had borehole and that was better than well water to us.

I had fun memories doing this and sometimes fight would start at the borehole. The owner go kuku lock tap, make all of us go house. grin

What changed?

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by pocohantas(f): 3:59pm On Jun 23, 2023
I sometimes see our favourite Batch 22, Stream 2021 UK japarians talk about how it was a culture shock for them to see people in UK drinking tap water...

Awww,rich kid!!!

144 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by garriAndsugar: 4:02pm On Jun 23, 2023
There's always a refreshing feeling i get from drinking tap water..
For now i can't enjoy that since the water here has taste.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by pocohantas(f): 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2023
garriAndsugar:
There's always a refreshing feeling i get from drinking tap water..
For now i can't enjoy that since the water here has taste.

Why does it have taste?
I am also guilty myself and it is because the tank is open. I don't know if it is because of the wire that runs into it or something else.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by CyberHustle: 4:28pm On Jun 23, 2023
With increase in price of sachet water [ pure water], anyone who will go into business of purifying borehole water will have a huge market waiting for them. It can be selling of water filters or purifying them directly for sale in busy areas and neighborhood.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by garriAndsugar: 4:40pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Why does it have taste?
I am also guilty myself and it is because the tank is open. I don't know if it is because of the wire that runs into it or something else.
presence of metals. It has this iron taste.

17 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by DevilsEqual(m): 5:01pm On Jun 23, 2023
Thats cause you prolly stay in a highbrow part of an urban area...In most rural part of Nigeria, and i mean across all regions, People still fetch and drink tap water in 2023, especially those ones being made available by state water corporation. In fact, they have a regular 'time table" of when and when not to expect a running tap

I cant say same for cities as more and more people kept having this misconceptions that those tap water are unfit for drinking and few even think there's some class that comes with eating every meal with sachet water/bottle water.

Did i just say cities? LOL... except in highbrow areas, people still fetch this borehole for drinking even in some part of Lagos, Abuja and most capital cities

In General, its down to the Nigerian wokeness abi wetin i go call am sef

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by wisz1(m): 5:03pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Why does it have taste?
Lack of good maintenance practice e.g regular cleaning of the storage tank by the owner.

Secondly, recent boreholes are not drilled to the right dept. Once the driller find water during drilling stages, that's all. There are various dept and each dept has various waters and tastes.

Thirdly, the soil.

My 2cent.

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by NLTerrorisT(m): 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2023
undecided
Na suicide be that na
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by Klington: 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2023
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by oluwaseunamos33(m): 5:43pm On Jun 23, 2023
When?
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by tosyne2much(m): 5:43pm On Jun 23, 2023
Who told you people have stopped drinking borehole/tap water?

Stop generalising.. Just say you don't drink it in your own house

Click like if you still dey drink borehole/tap water cheesy

217 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by Landmine1: 5:43pm On Jun 23, 2023
They sold the story of unclean.

Back in the days, who gave you tap water? Na stream water some Dey drink.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by ThatCEO: 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
Who told u
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by SerikiFulani(m): 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
Please change the headline to -

Why did "Poor Nigerians" stop drinking tap/borehole water? 😏

Ain't never drank that shit all ma life 🙂

6 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by xristos(m): 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
embarassed
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by 3RNEST(m): 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
Drink sickness grin

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by Ekakamba: 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
When you hear tap/borehole water and you hear pure water, which will you go for?

Na the way wey dem market sachet water Wella, na him people leave pipe borne water.

Another reason is that, majority of Nigerians living in Nigeria easily have access to sachet water than pipe borne water in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by jmoore(m): 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
90% of Nigerians lack access to public water supply.

Some private borehole are unfit for drinking.

We have a borehole in our compound. I drink water from it and I prefer putting it in plastic bottles straight from the pipe that is connected to the pumping machine during pumping and not from the tank.

18 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by Sonnobax15(m): 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
lipsrsealed
Lies... People still drink here......Even encountered several people who claims that the so-called table water do give them all kind of illness, hence,the reason why they prefer tap water over the refined table water..

As a matter of, fact,where I stay,the landlady used to have a table water Factory back then but has been closed up..So the water is really okay,and very much equivalent to the table water that's being sold.
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by Lukuluku69(m): 5:45pm On Jun 23, 2023
I grew up drinking Tap Water. It was almost everywhere on Lagos Island, Lagos Mainland, Ikorodu, Epe. Almost every where back then. I think with New Areas being developed in these areas,(most are not Government planned) they failed to connect them to the Grid if I can use that word. Subsequently, Boreholes were sunked and it became the real thing.

Also, if you drink directly from the Tap these days, you are openly courting many ailments. Most of the Pipes in use today are Iron, some bursted, leakages here and there which sips into the Main since most are laid inside gutters.

I drink from my Borehole these days Sha.

13 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by ibawon(m): 5:45pm On Jun 23, 2023
If you get good borehole for house, Na you know why you no dey drink water straight from tap.

25 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by 07kjb: 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
We still drink borehole water. wash your tank every six months you are good to go

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by Sike(m): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
NLTerrorisT:
undecided
Na suicide be that na
Tap water Suicide?!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by coolfredo(m): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
I drink my borehole water every day.

10 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by dfrost: 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
Who stopped?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by NOwazobia: 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
Make I sign attendance before front page go full.

Seriously, Tap water was luxury then.

I drank Well water while growing up.

After many years, we only switched to Tap water when we saw that a sheep accidentally fell and died in one of the wells we sometimes drink from.

Fortunately, I have never been admitted to the hospital, or have any serious ailment all my life.

But woke has now happened to me, and I have to spend 250 to 300 naira twice every month to purchase a bag of unpure water, as you called it.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by bassdow: 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
i
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by dfrost: 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
coolfredo:
I drink my borehole water every day.

I tell you.
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by bassdow: 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
t
o
Re: Why Did Nigerians Stop Drinking Tap/Borehole Water? by theophorus(m): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2023
Posh things joor.

Why you think say we go buy Bottle water come dey sip am small-small but if na Sachet water we go drink am once?

But then Ignorance don join our wahala naw cos we dey always think say Packaging determines purity.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Intelligence Killing Foods You Need To Avoid / Name One Thing You Don't Eat / The Best Nigerian Pepper Soup Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.