Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me (10258 Views)

Buhari To Saraki: Leave Me Out Of Your Trial / Leave Me Alone, Concentrate On National Issues, Jonathan Tells Senators / Aregbesola: I Don’t Need Federal Allocation To Pay Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by arsenefc: 9:19pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^^

The grasses in Osun are really tough though, I can see why he needs N 50 billion for 'em

Beaf, you have to come down to see for yourself. wink
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 9:35pm On Oct 05, 2011
^
Na wa o! Man de fear! grin
The damn things must be like tree trunks.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by arsenefc: 9:47pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^^

DOnt worry Beaf, the money will be well spent. Gbawe's uncle, I was told, was consulted before arriving at that figure. He will make sure that appropriate amounts are deposited in as many Swiss accounts as necessary.

Gbawe's uncle gets the job done.

PS: @Gbawe, no con here dey quote Argumentum Ad Hominem or else I will get Aregbe to replace your uncle with someone else, most likely someone from Delta State.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by maasoap(m): 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2011
Aregbe doesn't live in Lagos but visits Lagos frequently. We, Osun people have no problems with that in as much as he's fulfilling his promises. 20,000 employed in February and the truth is that they cut grasses/weeds and sweeps the streets. But the programme is taking shape now in the sense that some are now being deployed to new ministries. NCE & OND certificate holders have been called to present their certificates. Graduates who studied Agricultural related and Computer related courses have high hope with the programme. He's taking steps towards solving problem of unemployment in the state. Remember, PDP won in all South Western states except in Osun State during presidential election and if you didn't know why people of Osun voted ACN, it was because of him which means he is still in touch with his people and their needs.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
maasoap:

Aregbe doesn't live in Lagos but visits Lagos frequently. We, Osun people have no problems with that in as much as he's fulfilling his promises. 20,000 employed in February and the truth is that they cut grasses/weeds and sweeps the streets. But the programme is taking shape now in the sense that some are now being deployed to new ministries. NCE & OND certificate holders have been called to present their certificates. Graduates who studied Agricultural related and Computer related courses have high hope with the programme. He's taking steps towards solving problem of unemployment in the state. Remember, PDP won in all South Western states except in Osun State during presidential election and if you didn't know why people of Osun voted ACN, it was because of him which means he is still in touch with his people and their needs.

The bolded is well known. What is strange about it, is that is has been hyped as successful govt policy; every state employs people to cut grass as a matter of routine; it is ridiculous that he claims it to be some big policy.
So far as well, no state gov has gone so far as to seek a 50billion loan to aid in grass cutting, only Aregbesola has. Its like a joke!

Bros, for your info, Aregbesola lives in Alimosho in Lagos. He spent only two days in Oshun in June and just five in July and refused to budge from Lagos for an extended period up into August; I believe he didn't visit the state at all in April (I could be wrong).
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Demdem(m): 8:32am On Oct 06, 2011
Beaf:

Nwannem, Ogini di? --Beaf has been scared into speaking another language grin--

This is a very childish response to a gravely serious issue. The same thuggish theme runs through your posts as through [b]demdem's [/b]and Eko Ile's. Why? I really do not believe that is what your party, ACN stands for. Your outburst might appeal to those afflicted with the basest instincts, but the objective ones amongst us can see you are really striving hard to dodge the issue with these weird diversions. Please lets stick to the topic and avoid childish outbursts that result from the rage of being exposed; thank you.

Your post above contrasts rather sharply with the feelings expressed on this same page by an Osun state resident. I will leave you to ponder her words:

Pretty strong words and very strongly expressed feelings.

I believe that your rage was stirred by the post below, because you well know that what you think is secret can be divined by x-raying the contents of the sentences below. They are like the door to a hidden shocker. Its a pirate empire, cut Aregbesola and Tinubu bleeds. Lol!

[s]Why does Aregbesola, governor of Osun, live in Lagos[/s]? ACCURSED, SUBSTANTIATE THIS grin grin

Why should Aregbesola be so involved in Lagos politics to the extent that lives have been lost? DO U KNOW ANY ONE KILLED AS A RESULT OF AREGBESOLAS ACTIVITY IN LAGOS? PLS SUBSTANTIATE THIS LIAR
Fashola is the governor of Lagos state, while Aregbesola was voted as governor of Osun. Lagos is Fashola's turf. SO BECOS HE IS OSUN GOVERNOR, HE HAS NO RIGHT TO GO TO LAGOS AGAIN ABI? ODE BURUKU.

I wonder why you spend your time denying things Aregbesola has openly claimed in black and white? Its not very clever. U DEFINITELY HAVE COMPREHENSION ISSUES HAS A RESULT OF UR CURSED STATE. READ THE OPENING THREAD AGAIN

Which other governor is seeking a 50billion loan to cut grass and catch squirrels?
Again; Aregbesola is easily the worst of our governors, and by a very long shot too.

grin grin grin Wassup Accursed grin grin grin

I enjoy seeing ur comments because it shows ur folly constantly to the whole world. What is thuggish in demanding to know where u got your info about Aregbe LIVING and GOVERNING from Lagos. The opening thread doesn't suggest such and we all have been asking you to substantiate ur Lies all to avail. You talk about you and your numerous log-in names + cohorts being objective, Damn it, what is objective in that?
I went further to tell you that I for one will criticize Aregbe if its so still u are still talking Jargons. Its u i will emplore to stick to the topic by giving reasons to believe ur lies.

Secondly, not all voted and wanted Aregbe. Thats a fact. Referring to a critic about Aregbe doesnt mean a dyme because on this same thread and numerous threads before this , we have had peeps in support of him also so what exacly is ur point ACCURSED? Refer to below threads for more support of Aregbe:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=762438.msg9188810#msg9188810
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=770857.msg9242427#msg9242427
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Demdem(m): 8:40am On Oct 06, 2011
Beaf:

The bolded is well known. What is strange about it, is that is has been hyped as successful govt policy; every state employs people to cut grass as a matter of routine; it is ridiculous that he claims it to be some big policy.
So far as well, no state gov has gone so far as to seek a 50billion loan to aid in grass cutting, only Aregbesola has. Its like a joke!

Bros, for your info, Aregbesola lives in Alimosho in Lagos. He spent only two days in Oshun in June and just five in July and refused to budge from Lagos for an extended period up into August; I believe he didn't visit the state at all in April (I could be wrong).

Accursed, ur hypocrisy and deceit definately know no bounds. Why dont u finish up with the guy's statement below ODE.

maasoap:

Aregbe doesn't live in Lagos but visits Lagos frequently.We, Osun people have no problems with that in as much as he's fulfilling his promises. 20,000 employed in February and the truth is that they cut grasses/weeds and sweeps the streets. But the programme is taking shape now in the sense that some are now being deployed to new ministries. NCE & OND certificate holders have been called to present their certificates. Graduates who studied Agricultural related and Computer related courses have high hope with the programme. He's taking steps towards solving problem of unemployment in the state. Remember, PDP won in all South Western states except in Osun State during presidential election and if you didn't know why people of Osun voted ACN, it was because of him which means he is still in touch with his people and their needs.

U see ur life ACCURSED !!!!!
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 8:40am On Oct 06, 2011
^
You will find that every attempt to derail this thread by behaving like an area boy will fail. If you like, dig the worst from the gutter, we will still ask the pertinent questions and demand an end to abysmal neglect of duty in Osun and thuggish interference in Lagos.

. . .Rewind. . .
Which other governor is seeking a 50billion loan to cut grass and catch squirrels?
Again; Aregbesola is easily the worst of our governors, and by a very long shot too.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Demdem(m): 9:00am On Oct 06, 2011
Beaf:

^
You will find that every attempt to derail this thread by behaving like an area boy will fail. If you like, dig the worst from the gutter, we will still ask the pertinent questions and demand an end to abysmal neglect of duty in Osun and thuggish interference in Lagos.

. . .Rewind. . .

grin grin grin[b]Accursed[/b], Substantiate ur allegations and stop Lying grin grin grin grin
Just substantiate ur allegations and we are reasonable enough to criticize Aregbe.
IDIOT !!!!
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by maasoap(m): 11:05am On Oct 06, 2011
Creation of jobs is a process. You can't expect Osun State govt to employ 20,000 youths into the state civil service, it is simply impossible and impractical. And it is impossible for any govt to create 20,000 sustainable and well paid jobs within three months of assuming office. The process needs a transitional phase which is what is happening now. The issue of #50 billion as we all read is a world bank fund, set aside to assist Youth Employment Schemes in Nigeria in which Osun State now stands a chance of having her share of the money because of Aregbe OYES. Unless you're talking about #50 billion which I know not of.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by sley4life(m): 5:57pm On Oct 06, 2011
Lagos indigens will chase him away
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 6:18pm On Oct 06, 2011
I wonder why our pet monkey keeps asking for substantiation when he and his master, Gbawe cannot even give answers to to precise figures and months. Lol!

Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by ektbear: 6:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
So I take it that we have resolved this matter of name-dropping with respect to Aregbesola?

Hehe grin grin grin
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by ektbear: 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2011
kodewrita:

@ekt_bear  artificial boundary or not, the constitution has created the states and they must be respected. Otherwise Rivers would be funding projects in AkwaIbom( similar origins and tribes) or even Delta. Lets face facts and stop rationalising. They are free to have their pan-southwestern party but must work within the confines in which they were  elected by the occupants/indigenes thereof.

Sorry, I missed this post.

I'm not defending Aregbe's actions. I just don't see how his actions concern Beaf and the rest of these PDP rabblerousers with no connection to the SW or Osun. It is none of their business.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 7:02pm On Oct 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Sorry, I missed this post.

I'm not defending Aregbe's actions. [b]I just don't see how his actions concern Beaf [/b]and the rest of these PDP rabblerousers with no connection to the SW or Osun. It is none of their business.

Lol! Another way of saying. . . "I'm not defending Aregbesola, but only Yoruba people can criticise him. . ."

Whose money is Aregbesola wasting and using for Lagos state politics? Last time I looked, it was money given to Osun by the FG. Or maybe the FG is owned by Aregbesola and his coterie of eager bigots from the SW on NL.
Every state in Nigeria is my business, regardless of what any closed-minded bigot thinks.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by ektbear: 7:05pm On Oct 06, 2011
There is nothing being "given" to Osun by the FG.

It is Osun's right, under the laws that govern the land.

Even if I gift someone $100, I have no right to say how he spends it. If I don't like how he is spending it, I can stop the gift. But as I said, this is no gift.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by dayokanu(m): 7:08pm On Oct 06, 2011
Beaf:

Lol! Another way of saying. . . "I'm not defending Aregbesola, but only Yoruba people can criticise him. . ."

Whose money is Aregbesola wasting and using for Lagos state politics? Last time I looked, it was money given to Osun by the FG. Or maybe the FG is owned by Aregbesola and his coterie of eager bigots from the SW on NL.
Every state in Nigeria is my business, regardless of what any closed-minded bigot thinks.

Bros mi no mind dem Awon eleyi won RAZIST gaaan oo

How is the Delta State commisioner on Murder and extra judicial killing doing
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

There is nothing being "given" to Osun by the FG.

It is Osun's right, under the laws that govern the land.

Even if I gift someone $100, I have no right to say how he spends it. If I don't like how he is spending it, I can stop the gift. But as I said, this is no gift.

Really? You're coming up with even more intellectually constrained stuff.
There is a reason why the EFCC and ICPC, both FG bodies are mandated to probe, prosecute and jail governors who have used their state funds corruptly. Guess what that reason is?

. . .And I never heard that their ethnic group was ever taken into consideration either. Rubbish.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by ektbear: 7:34pm On Oct 06, 2011
Meh

Like I said, I don't care what you think. It doesn't matter to me. I said what I said for the benefit of @kodewrita (who appears to be from Ilesha, and thus is also a very distant kinsman of mine)
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 7:39pm On Oct 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Meh

Like I said, I don't care what you think. It doesn't matter to me. I said what I said for the benefit of @kodewrita (who appears to be from Ilesha, and thus is also a very distant kinsman of mine)

The sound of the logically trounced! grin
Next!
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by ektbear: 7:43pm On Oct 06, 2011
Beaf.

Do you think it is in your capacity to ever trounce me in anything in life? Let alone logic?

At least be honest with yourself grin

That a bear isn't interested in hunting a squirrel doesn't mean the bear would not rend the squirrel limb from limb. As he has done several times in the past, on this forum.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 7:50pm On Oct 06, 2011
^
Abeg, go and sleep! Boring bigoted phucker. I've got better things to do than discuss with people who don't even know that state govts are responsible to the FG and must account for every dime they get. Instead, you want to convince me that only Yoruba's can criticise Aregbesola. In a few years when he is hopefully locked away by the EFCC, would it be because the FG is Yoruba? Sounds really daft.

I'm done with you.
Next!

@topic
Would any of Aregbesola's creatures be man enough to explain this?

Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by dayokanu(m): 7:52pm On Oct 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Beaf.

Do you think it is in your capacity to ever trounce me in anything in life? Let alone logic?

At least be honest with yourself grin

[size=18pt]That a bear isn't interested in hunting a squirrel doesn't mean the bear would not rend the squirrel limb from limb. As he has done several times in the past, on this forum[/size].

Checkmate. !!!! Bang Bang

Egbon mi Awon eleyi razist gaan ooo, They are owning you here

Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 7:55pm On Oct 06, 2011
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by dayokanu(m): 8:01pm On Oct 06, 2011
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 8:08pm On Oct 06, 2011
We all know Aregbesola is supervising corruption in Lagos as Tinubu's pointsman, because Fashola is not playing ball and wants to get on with it. Aregbesola is deliberately disrupting Lagos on behalf of Tinubu. It would be useful to see where stolen funds are traced to in a few years time. The love for Lagos from Osun has much more to it.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by dayokanu(m): 8:14pm On Oct 06, 2011
Beaf:

We all know Aregbesola is supervising corruption in Lagos as Tinubu's pointsman, because Fashola is not playing ball and wants to get on with it. Aregbesola is deliberately disrupting Lagos on behalf of Tinubu. It would be useful to see where stolen funds are traced to in a few years time. The love for Lagos from Osun has much more to it.

blink182:

Beaf, God have mercy on your soul. You ought to be tied to the stake and shot till dead. Remember its good to have money and the nice things of life but while you are it remember we will all give account before our creator. You had better change your ways before its too late. A young promising man like you, just take a look at your life. Is this the reason God gave you good health and a sound mind? You should be ashamed of yourself. Despite the fact I do not need the govt for anything, the impoverishment I see around me daily gives me a broken heart. Chief Boloko and senator brume never thought of their end to come abruptly but today, they must give account and they can not reverse their deeds. Beaf change while you still can. or anything, [size=18pt]the impoverishment I see around me daily gives me a broken heart[/size]. Chief Boloko and senator brume never thought of their end to come abruptly but today, they must give account and they can not reverse their deeds. Beaf change while you still can.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Beaf: 8:31pm On Oct 06, 2011
^
Dodging as usual? Fail.

Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Rhino5dm: 8:40pm On Oct 06, 2011
Now, many governors abandon states, operate from Abuja
[size=23pt]Check out the evil PDP governors. . .Yet their paid goon is here running his mouth like 414 and like a deaf phocking a mad woman.[/size]

Written by Onimisi Alao & Sanusi Hamid Babagoro (Abuja), Aliyu M. Hamagam (Minna), Ismail Mudashir (Kaduna), Hamisu Kabir Matazu (Damaturu), Patrick Odey (Uyo), Ismail Mudashir (Kaduna), Ahmed Mohammed (Bauchi), Joseph Hir (Lafia), Usman A. Bello (Lokoja), Yahaya I Sunday, 18 September 2011 05:00

inShare.0SocButtons plugin Share

Since he assumed office in May this year he has not stayed in the state for more than three days of every week .He is always out of the state for one reason or the other. Unfortunately, each time he leaves, the entire state, particularly the state capital, which is the hub of economic activities, is usually at a standstill. The civil servant state-controlled economy, which made government the only source of income, makes it bad for business because anytime the governor leaves town the entire activities in government and private sector are paralyzed.

As one of the critics of the governor puts it ‘’ each time he leaves town, it’s like locking up the state and going away with the keys. Activities are at a halt, the entire secretariat completely deserted by civil servants, commissioners who should be up and doing are not usually on seat and the state is left at the mercy of permanent secretaries. Normal activities only resumes in the state when the governor returns.

The presence of political hanger-on, beggars, party followers and party officials around the government House always signaled the arrival of the governor. It’s usual to see them sitting in hundreds at the gate and around the fence of the Government House, while commissioners who had tried to get him to sign some files before his departure but without success, are at the airstrip to show their loyalty so that their files to be considered on his arrival. This is a situation in one of the Northern states, but it is replicated in almost all states in Nigeria.

EXTROVERT BABANGIDA ALIYU LIKES LIFE OUTSIDE MINNA

Opposition leaders in Niger State say Governor Mu’azu Babagida Aliyu virtually relocated from the state capital Minna to foreign countries in the last 100 days. Many government activities have been grounded as the self-styled chief servant is rarely around to show leadership, the critics complain.

Chairman of the Niger State chapter of Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Alhaji Umar Shuaibu told Sunday Trust that the governor had not been in his office to attend to state matters up to 20 days at a stretch in the last 100 days.

Shuaibu said, “Government activities frequently come to a standstill while the governor is busy going round the globe at the expense of the public treasury. He indulges in his expensive local and foreign trips, busy doing only God Knows what.”

The forgoing is the view of many across the state on Babangida Aliyu’s approach to governance. Some who spoke on it say rampant television reports showing the governor on many occasions in different parts of the country are evident of the governor’s penchant for travels across the country and beyond.

But the state Head of Service, Alhaji Kabir Matane punched the view, saying the governor had visited only Saudi Arabia for Lesser Hajj since his return for the second term as governor of the state in April.

The Head of Service added that most often when the chief servant is to leave the state, he would ensure that state executive council meeting was held and a lot of issues concerning the activities of government were first thrashed out. “Beginning from his first term to now, government activities have never stopped for even once in Niger state, because the governor always ensures that he hands over affairs of the state to his deputy before leaving for anywhere,” Matane said.

YAKOWA, SAMBO’S SUCCESSOR IN MANY RESPECTS

Like his predecessor, Governor Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa of Kaduna State goes to Abuja often. An insider says the governor visits Abuja at least twice a week. The source recalled that when Vice President Mohammed Namadi Sambo was the governor of Kaduna State, “he visited Abuja constantly.”

Sunday Trust confirmed that Yakowa has indeed been a frequent visitor to Abuja since he became the governor of Kaduna State following the elevation of Namadi Sambo to Abuja as the Vice President last year. When President Umaru Yar’adua died in May 2010, Goodluck Jonathan who replaced him picked Sambo for the Vice President’s office. Both Jonathan and Sambo retained the Presidency in April after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) returned them as the winners of the presidential election of that month.

According to the President of the Civil Right Congress, Comrade Shehu Sani, “Governors are running away from their states for a number of reasons, including lack of clear agenda of what to do with power; inability to meet the financial demands of political cronies and godfathers; escaping from the shadows of their false promises during their campaigns; fear of implementing the new minimum wage; personal safety, and fear of the unknown.”

Chairman of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Barrister Musa Soba, describes Yakowa as an absentee governor. He told Sunday Trust, “It is unfortunate that Yakowa is another absentee governor with a shallow perception of the ethics of governance in a democratic setting where elected leaders are supposed to be accountable to the electorate. Worse still, Yakowa has become an irredeemable adherent of the politics of godfatherism in which case issues are determined arbitrarily outside the constituencies of the so-called elected leaders.”

Reacting to the criticisms, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to Governor Ibrahim Yakowa, Mr. Reuben Buhari said, “It’s regrettable that certain people who deliberately refuse to understand how governance works in Nigeria will make careless allegations. With the system of governance we are practising in Nigeria and the concentration of so much power at the centre in Abuja, how on earth do you expect a governor not to travel to Abuja? People alleging that the governor frequents Abuja are mischief-makers. Those who know him well and choose to be sincere will tell you that he only goes to Abuja when it is official and absolutely necessary. It is also not true that his travels are at the expense of the state because it is for the good of the state that he travels. Some people may care to know that Governor Yakowa puts in more number of office hours than probably any other governor in Nigeria.’’

YOBE’S GAIDAM rarely goes to abuja but,

In Yobe State, Governor Ibrahim Gaidam is one of few governors who spend, much of their time in their states. He rarely travels to Abuja unless on special occasions when his presence is most needful. On many occasions he assigns his deputy to take his place in functions outside the state. He spends some of his weekends in his village, Bukarti, but seldom travels abroad, except to Saudi Arabia and principally for religious purposes.

He was in Saudi Arabia, in company of some top government officials, for almost two weeks after he won the last election. Many believe they went to the Holy Land for thanksgiving for his triumph at the April poll. He was also in Ghana for a retreat which the state House of Assembly held in that country. His last visit to Saudi Arabia was for the just concluded Lesser Hajj.

Going for the Lesser Hajj, however, exerted much pressure on government service delivery. It placed governance almost entirely on the deputy governor, Engr. Abubakar D. Aliyu, as the governor, the Secretary to the state Government (SSG), Head of service, all Commissioners except four, advisers, and House of Assembly members left for Saudi Arabia. The deputy governor found himself shuttling between Yobe and Abuja and all around Yobe to retain a semblance of governance.

The effect of the exodus of government officials to Saudi Arabia was particularly evident on 27 August, 2011 and the days leading to it when the state clocked 20 but went uncelebrated. The military government of President Ibrahim Babangida created Yobe State on August 27, 1991. While most other states created same time with it marked their 20th anniversary with pomp and pageantry, Yobe did nothing. This was also contrary to years back when Yobe dedicated a whole week of activities to celebrate its creation.

Meanwhile, when many state governments were busy interacting with the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) over minimum wage, the NLC’s Yobe State council had to wait for the government to return from Saudi Arabia. And as soon as the governor landed, minimum wage deliberations took the government’s attention from other affairs of state. And discussions are still on between the government and the NLC.

Speaking on phone with Sunday Trust, a stalwart of opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Honorable Ibrahim Ali Gadaka, said the state governor and members of his cabinet like to travel because it gives them undeserved freedom from the people who voted them into power

“They used people to get into power after making promises that they cannot fulfill,” Gadaka said, explaining, “If not, why does the governor travel out anyhow? The governor said during his campaign that he would pay minimum wage as soon as it but now he is making hidden moves with leaders of the NLC to frustrate the expectations of workers over minimum wage.”

In response to all this, a government official who would not be named because he has no authority to speak for the government, said curtly, “Never mind what opposition elements say. They have the freedom to talk, and talk is easy. Gaidam is doing a lot more for the state than any of the cheap critics could do if they are the government.”

FOR AKPABIO, IT IS ABUJA, LAGOS, OR OVERSEAS

In Akwa Ibom State, some members of the public complain that Governor Godswill Akpabio rarely settles down to business. They say since his inauguration for another term in office on May 29, 2011 the governor has not spent up to four uninterrupted weeks in his office. They allege that he is in constant move, that if he is not in Abuja or Lagos, he is away abroad.

Findings are that shortly after he was inaugurated for a second term following his declaration as the winner of the April governorship election, the governor proceeded on an annual leave, which was reported as his first leave in four years. The governor, it was learnt, cut short the leave to receive Vice President Namadi Sambo who stood in for President Goodluck Jonathan at the grand finale of the Army Day Celebration, which took place in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom state capital.

Shortly after the tribunal judgment which affirmed him the winner of the April governorship election in a case filed by Senator John James Udoedege, the governorship candidate of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), the governor, who was still basking in the euphoria of his victory travelled out to Texas, United States of America, where he was honoured by the American Congressional for his ‘outstanding contribution to the development’ of the state. That trip to Texas reportedly lasted for three weeks.

The governor has constantly been on the move since, and analysts hold that while some of the trips outside Akwa Ibom may be commendable, some of them only succeed in dragging development. For instance, the civil service virtually collapses and the environment becomes dull and quiet when it becomes evident that the chief executive is not around. Even commissioners feel free to stay out of office because their boss is away.

A member of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) who gave his name as Ime Bassey said the governor is the moving spirit of the government, for which reason virtually everything comes to a halt when he is away. “This is particularly regretful because the frequent travels bring little development to the state,” Bassey said.

The traditional celebration of the first 100 days of the current government done in most cases around the country was skipped in Akwa Ibom. People who expressed disappointment over this feel the marking of the first 100 days in office is good for the government itself because it is an opportunity to speak of their achievements, and good for the public because they get to know what future plans the government has.

The Chief Press Secretary of Governor Akpabio, Anntie Ukpe, could not be reached as at the time of filing this report as he was said to have travelled to Kaduna with the governor for the award of a honorary doctorate degree to the governor by the National Defence Academy (NDA).

YUGUDA OPERATES FROM ABUJA –Opposition. NO, HE DOESN’T -Govt

The opposition Democratic Peoples Party (DPP) party in Bauchi State alleges that the Bauchi State Governor, Malam Isa Yuguda left the state for over two weeks now and has since operated from the Federal Capital, Abuja, but government officials deny the allegations, saying the governor could only have been to Abuja to pursue matters of interest to the state.

Bauchi State Chairperson of the DPP Hajiya Sa’adatu Mamuda told Sunday Trust that her party was not happy with the governor who leaves the state always. She said, “Since after Sallah break when he left to Abuja, Yuguda has not come back. Not being around stalls government activities. For instance, uptill now he has not appointed advisers, special assistants, personal assistants and board chairmen and members of parastatals.”

Sa’adatu said the governor pledged to commission some projects when he was 100 days in office, but uptill now he had not done so because he is always away.

An official of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Alhaji Nasiru Ibrahim Darazo, said not being around when he should, makes governors unable to supervise their projects, such as government’s offer of free treatment to pregnant women and children under the age of five years.

Darazo narrated his experience: “I took my wife to Kofar Ran Maternity to deliver but what we witnessed there is far from what government is boasting about. You have to buy everything. No drug and most such other things that the governor promised. There is little to show in the hospital that government is giving health care free to pregnant women and children under five.”

He recalled that when Yuguda assumed duty he pledged to embark on meet-the-people tour to every ward to hear directly from the grassroots what their feelings and needs are.

“He is yet to start this,” Darazo said. He added, “He should emulate his predecessors like Ahmadu Mu’azu, General Sani Sami, and Chris Abutu Garuba who always went round the town and supervised projects and government policies even in the night. They visited hospitals to know the people’s problems. A governor can only do this when he stays in the state.”

But the State Commissioner for Information, Alhaji Umaru said a lot has been done by the governor to develop the state. Umaru made his point: “Even when he travels out of the state, we usually have no problem because he is always in touch with us; we communicate with him on daily basis and he receives briefs from his commissioners and activities of every arm of government, you are aware a lot of people don’t want Mallam Isa Yuguda to come back as the governor of Bauchi State. That is why they are always eager to cast aspersion on him. The governor travels out when he does to pursue matters of state interest from the federal government and federal government agencies”

On his own, Chief Press secretary to the governor Mr Ishola Michael Adeyemi, said, “The governor always supervise projects. Last week, we supervised Rahama Rishi Gumau Road with the governor himself up to 9pm. As I keep saying, if the governor is not around, he is working and where ever he is, he is out in the interest of the state, because he is working.”

Adeyemi said those who complain about free medical care for pregnant women and under- five children should forward their complaints to the state ministry of health for necessary action.”

AL-MAKURA SHOULD TRAVEL HOW HE WISHES -Nasarawa PDP

The Nasarawa State Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party, Chief Yunana Iliya who has remained a leading opposition voice in the state since May 29 when Al-Makura snatched Government House from his party, said he will prefer to talk only on “matters that have direct bearing on the people”, explaining that whether Alhaji Umar Tanko Al-Makura travels often to Abuja, and stays there for weeks, does not merit his comments because “it is trivial.”

Governor Umaru Tanko Al-Makura of Nasarawa State left Abuja where he had been for decades as an investor in the property industry, and returned to his state where he contested and won the governorship election to become governor. He has a home, his business office, and a guest house in Abuja.

But statistical enquiries about his visits and stay in Abuja within the period he has been governor show that he has had minimal periods away from the state. The enquiries confirm that Al-Makura has visited Abuja no more than six times since he was sworn in on May 29.

Sunday Trust confirmed reports that as part of the prudence he promised during campaigns, Al-Makura prefers to take half of his Basic Transport Allowance (BTA), while completely avoiding contingency expenditure. He has continually kicked against waste, and has been working to cut costs, preferring to save for development.

“If I don’t take certain benefits, it is so that I will serve as example; so that my subordinates will learn to do so”, Al-Amkaura had said when he spoke earlier about the need for sacrifice as a basic ingredient for change. “This is part of the efforts to actualize the ideals of change. We have to be practical”, he had added.

Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Hamza Elayo told Sunday Trust, “Even when he (the governor) travels, the state doesn’t suffer because he hands over everything to his deputy properly because, to him, the deputy governor is not a spare tyre but a valuable second-in-command.”

KOGI SUFFERS FROM A GOVERNOR’S CONSTANT TRAVELS

Opposition forces in Kogi State complain that management of the state is suffering on many fronts because of frequent travels of Governor Ibrahim Idris.

Murtala Muhammed, a businessman and politician, said most of the travels run into weeks and that in many cases the governor does not handover his powers to anyone. “During such periods the state becomes a ghost town as most activities of government are usually centred on the governor,” Muhammad said.

Muhammad asserted that most of the trips are a jamboree as they do not bring investments to the state. “The trips are a mere jamboree for siphoning public funds,” he added.

Another citizen, Engineer Muhammed Haruna, said the governor at times seems not to know that his presence alone can be re-assuring to a people who do not really expect much else. “The governor has never stayed in the state for a month without travelling two or three weeks, and this has translated to the underdevelopment of the state,” Haruna said, with a voice laden with apparent concern. “If the state governor is always in the state, the state would have been more developed than it is now,” he concluded.

Conversely, according to the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Richard Elesho, Governor Idris is always on sit except when there are matters of public importance that need his attention in some other parts of the state and the country. Elesho said, “You may not expect to find him in the office at all times. Don’t forget that there are instance when his attention could be needed in Abuja for meetings, like party and government meetings; otherwise, the governor would normally be in the state.

Also, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Publicity, Zakari Adamu, said the governor coming from the private sector is in a hurry to achieve development. He said the governor would need to travel occasionally in the course of time.

“Bureaucracy is about files and memos and the rest of them. And Governor Idris, because he was a business man before becoming the governor, has no problem attending to files,” he added.

In Borno State, government officials told Sunday Trust that although Governor Kashim Shettima goes to Abuja rather frequently, he does so in connection with the perennial crisis the state is contending with, involving the Boko Haram sect. The Commissioner for Information and Culture, Inuwa Bwala, said in an interview with Sunday Trust, “Our own governor is a full time chief executive who is always available attending to matters that concern the state. He seldom travels except if clearly necessary. He is a workaholic who goes to office even on weekends.”

Unlike many other state governors, Governor Ibrahim Shema of Katsina State has since inception as second term governor spent most of his time in the state. Sunday Trust gathered that apart from the Lesser Hajj the governor observed during Ramadan Fasting, Shema has largely remained in the state. He was out of the state for almost a week and said to be in Saudi Arabia for the Lesser Hajj.

GOVERNORS NEED ABUJA TO RUN THEIR STATES –Balarabe Musa

A former governor of Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa told Sunday Trust towards the weekend that state governors are spending the better part of their administration in Abuja at the expense of what they are elected for because the governors need go to Abuja to bribe their way to what should normally come to the state. The opposition leader said, “I sympathize with the governors who visit Abuja frequently but when you have a central government which is too strong you will be having this problem. Under the present system, the Federal Government is too strong; it controls all the finances and all other things. I tasted it during our time when things were still good. For a governor to do his work in the state, in particular to get the resources of the state from the central government, he has to go to Abuja regularly though is unfortunate.”

He added, “During our time, most governors frequented the federal capital, but I didn’t do it because I was lucky enough to have civil servants and politicians who were capable of doing what will take me to Abuja for the state… Today, if a governor does not go to Abuja regularly the right of his state will not come from the Federal Government.”

But is the lobbying for funds more important than doing the job for which governors were elected?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Rhino5dm: 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2011
[b]FOR AKPABIO, IT IS ABUJA, LAGOS, OR OVERSEAS

In Akwa Ibom State, some members of the public complain that Governor Godswill Akpabio rarely settles down to business. They say since his inauguration for another term in office on May 29, 2011 the governor has not spent up to four uninterrupted weeks in his office. They allege that he is in constant move, that if he is not in Abuja or Lagos, he is away abroad.

Findings are that shortly after he was inaugurated for a second term following his declaration as the winner of the April governorship election, the governor proceeded on an annual leave, which was reported as his first leave in four years. The governor, it was learnt, cut short the leave to receive Vice President Namadi Sambo who stood in for President Goodluck Jonathan at the grand finale of the Army Day Celebration, which took place in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom state capital.

Shortly after the tribunal judgment which affirmed him the winner of the April governorship election in a case filed by Senator John James Udoedege, the governorship candidate of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), the governor, who was still basking in the euphoria of his victory travelled out to Texas, United States of America, where he was honoured by the American Congressional for his ‘outstanding contribution to the development’ of the state. That trip to Texas reportedly lasted for three weeks.

The governor has constantly been on the move since, and analysts hold that while some of the trips outside Akwa Ibom may be commendable, some of them only succeed in dragging development. For instance, the civil service virtually collapses and the environment becomes dull and quiet when it becomes evident that the chief executive is not around. Even commissioners feel free to stay out of office because their boss is away.

A member of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) who gave his name as Ime Bassey said the governor is the moving spirit of the government, for which reason virtually everything comes to a halt when he is away. “This is particularly regretful because the frequent travels bring little development to the state,” Bassey said.

The traditional celebration of the first 100 days of the current government done in most cases around the country was skipped in Akwa Ibom. People who expressed disappointment over this feel the marking of the first 100 days in office is good for the government itself because it is an opportunity to speak of their achievements, and good for the public because they get to know what future plans the government has.

The Chief Press Secretary of Governor Akpabio, Anntie Ukpe, could not be reached as at the time of filing this report as he was said to have travelled to Kaduna with the governor for the award of a honorary doctorate degree to the governor by the National Defence Academy (NDA).[/b]
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by djustice: 8:46pm On Oct 06, 2011
Aregbesola is a fake Islamic fanatic who helped ACN to rig the elections in Alimosho Federal Constituency. His desperation to hold on to one third of the electorate in Lagos State will eventually be his undoing. His health is already suffering due to the constant unceasing prayers against all obstacles to good governance in Lagos, even though, Yar'Adua style, he keeps denying it.

The IGR of Lagos State is now officially, only officially (it's at least double this in reality), around N45 billion per month. In terms of land mass, Alimosho as a single LGA generates quite a large amount of unofficial IGR, mainly from road transport workers like Okada riders, Keke operators, taxis and buses. This is what Aregbesola is after through control of the elected officials in that LGA.

Furthermore, it gives him access to the Lagos State treasury, because of Fashola's spinelessness and inability to resist the demands of both Aregbesola, who once slapped him at a state exco meeting, and Tinubu, his boss.They will all end up in jail. It's only Fashola I pity, because he can cut himself loose now, and get protection for when he leaves office. If things remain as they are into 2015, he will go to jail once he leaves office, because he can be seen clearly to be collaborating with the looters of state funds, and he's creaming his own off too, through relatively more obscure schemes like the Lagos GIS scheme and his construction company, Plycon Construction.
Re: Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me by Rhino5dm: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2011
[b]YUGUDA OPERATES FROM ABUJA –Opposition. NO, HE DOESN’T -Govt

The opposition Democratic Peoples Party (DPP) party in Bauchi State alleges that the Bauchi State Governor, Malam Isa Yuguda left the state for over two weeks now and has since operated from the Federal Capital, Abuja, but government officials deny the allegations, saying the governor could only have been to Abuja to pursue matters of interest to the state.

Bauchi State Chairperson of the DPP Hajiya Sa’adatu Mamuda told Sunday Trust that her party was not happy with the governor who leaves the state always. She said, “Since after Sallah break when he left to Abuja, Yuguda has not come back. Not being around stalls government activities. For instance, uptill now he has not appointed advisers, special assistants, personal assistants and board chairmen and members of parastatals.”

Sa’adatu said the governor pledged to commission some projects when he was 100 days in office, but uptill now he had not done so because he is always away.

An official of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Alhaji Nasiru Ibrahim Darazo, said not being around when he should, makes governors unable to supervise their projects, such as government’s offer of free treatment to pregnant women and children under the age of five years.

Darazo narrated his experience: “I took my wife to Kofar Ran Maternity to deliver but what we witnessed there is far from what government is boasting about. You have to buy everything. No drug and most such other things that the governor promised. There is little to show in the hospital that government is giving health care free to pregnant women and children under five.”

He recalled that when Yuguda assumed duty he pledged to embark on meet-the-people tour to every ward to hear directly from the grassroots what their feelings and needs are.

“He is yet to start this,” Darazo said. He added, “He should emulate his predecessors like Ahmadu Mu’azu, General Sani Sami, and Chris Abutu Garuba who always went round the town and supervised projects and government policies even in the night. They visited hospitals to know the people’s problems. A governor can only do this when he stays in the state.”

But the State Commissioner for Information, Alhaji Umaru said a lot has been done by the governor to develop the state. Umaru made his point: “Even when he travels out of the state, we usually have no problem because he is always in touch with us; we communicate with him on daily basis and he receives briefs from his commissioners and activities of every arm of government, you  are aware a lot of people don’t want Mallam Isa Yuguda to come back as the governor of Bauchi State. That is why they are always eager to cast aspersion on him. The governor travels out when he does to pursue matters of state interest from the federal government and federal government agencies”

On his own, Chief Press secretary to the governor Mr Ishola Michael Adeyemi   cheesy cheesy cheesy, said, “The governor always supervise projects. Last week, we supervised Rahama Rishi Gumau Road with the governor himself up to 9pm. As I keep saying, if the governor is not around, he is working and where ever he is, he is out in the interest of the state, because he is working.”

Adeyemi said those who complain about free medical care for pregnant women and under- five children should forward their complaints to the state ministry of health for necessary action.”[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Sets February Deadline For Lagos-ibadan Standard Gauge rail Line / Bayelsa West: PDP Gives Automatic Ticket To Dickson / Despite Loans, Nigeria’s Socio-Economic Conditions Deteriorated ― IMF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.