Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth (35519 Views)

Turkish President Erdogan Phones Buhari, Seeks Nigeria's Support For Palestine / Britain’s shameful role in the Biafran war,Frederick Forsyth Attack / Again Frederick Forsyth Attacks Britain: You Committed Crimes Against Igbo. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by 001Lagos: 2:54pm On Jun 26, 2023
British best-selling author, Journalist, and political commentator, Frederick Forsyth, has advocated Nigeria’s suspension from the Commonwealth of Nations over the continued detention of the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, a freedom fighter.

The octogenarian in an article published on Express.co.uk, expressed angst over the docility of the UK Government concerning Kanu’s plight, a British citizen.

He argued that if the UK Government could be so passive about the ordeals of its citizen being humiliated and totured abroad, anybody holding British passport could suffer similar fate like Kanu.

“Nnamdi Kanu, a British national, is being held in Nigeria and his family says he is in failing health, denied all medical help and regularly beaten up”, Forsyth wrote.

Forsyth who is the author of The Day of Jacal, Dogs of War, among other works, insisted that Nigeria should be compelled to not only release, but return Kanu to Britain where his family resides.

The 84 year-old further argued that there are several ways the British Government could have exerted pressure on Nigeria to comply with Court judgements ordering Kanu’s unconditional release.

“There are two effective recourses in front of us if our bureaucrats on the cocktail circuit could rise from their amply funded buttocks.

One is to raise Cain and, given the huge sums in aid that we plunge into Nigeria via the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, that Cain could be very worrying indeed to their High Commission in London, which has access to its own government at the highest level.

The other is to raise, via the Commonwealth Secretariat under Baroness Scotland, the whole question, bearing in mind the horrors of brutality now taking place not just in Eastern Nigeria but right across the country amid universal corruption, of the very issue of that country’s continued membership of the worldwide organisation.

“After all, the Commonwealth once ended the membership of South Africa, Pakistan and Fiji for a lot less than is presently going on in Nigeria – of which the plight of Nnamdi Kanu is a tiny particle.”

Below is part of Forsyth’s article:”A few days ago, I had never heard of Nnamdi Kanu and the chances are neither had you. So… briefly. He is 55 and was born and raised in Nigeria; specifically eastern Nigeria which was then involved in a civil war with the Federal Government in Lagos.

“The issue then was the desire of his Igbo people, the majority in eastern Nigeria, to separate as a new republic of Biafra. It was defeated and re-absorbed but in adulthood, this has become his life’s cause – the re-creation of the vanished Biafra.

“So far, so remote from all of us. But he is now and has been for many years a British citizen, his family home is in south London, and that, as for all of us, accords certain rights and protections.

“One of these is the Consular service which is supposed to do all it can to help us if we ever get into any form of trouble abroad. Several times in my life, I have felt that stiff blue passport in my breast pocket a very comforting bulge.

“Whether his ambition for a separate state for his ethnic homeland is a pipe dream or not, his writing, speaking and militating for his cause is or should be, no more illegal than what the SNP is doing up in Scotland and Nigeria is a leading member of the Commonwealth, a privilege that forbids membership to dictatorships on pain of expulsion.

“But two years ago Nnamdi was snatched in Nairobi by the pretty horrifying Nigerian secret police, hustled to the airport with the seeming connivance of the Kenyans, and flown to Nigeria. Since then he has been in an underground cell in the capital Abuja.

“As such he is a few hundred yards from our High Commission which contains the Consular department. Reports from his family say he is in failing health, denied all medical help and regularly beaten up.

“Given the savage record of Nigeria’s secret police, no surprises there then. According to my information, he has been twice visited by British officials who have made “representations”.

“Apparently just representations. But I am also advised that British concerns are to the Nigerians as worrying as a bothersome housefly. His lodged appeal to the Nigerian Supreme Court hovers somewhere in the stratosphere.”

Kanu has remained in solitary confinement at the Abuja headquarters of the Department of State Services, DSS, since June 2021 after his”abduction” in Kenya and extraordinarily rendition to Nigeria.

Despite several court orders and the United Nations Opinion that Kanu should be released unconditionally and returned to either Kenya where he was arrested or London where he resided.

Kanu travelled with British passport to Kenya before his ” abduction” and rendition to Nigeria.

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja had ruled that his rendition violated all known international protocols.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/06/nnamdi-kanu-briton-seeks-nigerias-suspension-from-commonwealth/

62 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by fayomim: 2:55pm On Jun 26, 2023
Hmmmm why waiting till now

Any price for first to comment?

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by 001Lagos: 2:56pm On Jun 26, 2023
That's the right thing to do

131 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Parachoco: 2:57pm On Jun 26, 2023
To hell with commonwealth

Who commonwealth help

He sat comfortably in London and asking his Riffraffs in Nigeria to dey cannibalise Nigerians

201 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by kingsways: 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2023
Yes, supported!

Kanu who has been discharged by the Court of Appeal is still being held whilst that common criminal Asari is being given red carpet reception at Aso Rock

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by FalseProphet1(m): 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
I see the US placing sanctions on Nigeria, I see other Western countries following suit, I see Nigeria joining Russia and supporting Putin, I see Tinubu being rejected from France and other Western countries he goes to charge his batteries.

I see him unable to go to Russia because of the war, I see him releasing Nnamadi Kanu, I see sit-at-home ending in the SE.

This I have seen.

125 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Brendaniel: 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
Only in Nigeria would someone be killed by Islamic fanatics for blasphemy or killed by Fulani herdsmen for Islamic dominance and no arrest will be made and another person will be locked up for speaking the truth about the killers...

240 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Comedy!

The same people nipping Kanu are the ones fighting for him.

You think the UK will allow Kanu break their investments.

165 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Alliswell248: 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
Joke

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by UrPapa: 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
The zoo is in problem
We told them MNK is a very powerful person

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by victorazy(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Ok
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by obinna58(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
grin
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Piggyeasterner: 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Nnamdi Kanu is a walking corpse

133 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by sofeo(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
How?.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Zadicuszuranda: 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
why wait till now?

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by grandstar(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Kk
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by vincenteger: 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Senu please that ad that pops up b4 I click a topic is not 4ny.
If na play stop am

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by butpro(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Yugoslavia
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Throwback: 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Hahahaha!

105 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by henryugo(m): 3:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
undecided
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
ISLAMABAD! Islam will soon plunge this country into another war. Tinilumbum the Chicago sniffing drug lord

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by BadMaster: 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
The MOD that put this nonsense on the front page is an idiot.
An individual from Briton is called a Brit, not Briton.

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
Foreign Influencers are really cashing out from some Nigerian mumus alot. If you know you know. Remind me of one US man atiku's team always consult pre election. Where did it end now ?
Let the law take it's course. I believe tinubu can still pardon him after wide consultations cos BH leaders dis worse, but many are now in governance and big chiefs in their areas, cashing out steadily sipping brukutu.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by alizma: 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
Some people know how to make situation difficult for others, if you are not wise, you had probably think they are helping you.

7 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by MrCGPA(m): 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
Believe it or Not, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu must have been released long ago if he is a Fulani or Core Northern Man. Bokoharam Terrorists in the name of Repented have been Enrolled into the Nigerian Army free of Charge.

Igbos are the Endangered Species in Nigeria. They are Naturally hated. They are benefitting Less from the Federal Government but they built the most Magnificent structures in Nigeria. Go to their Villages and see structures you can't see in some towns in Nigeria. I always envy their Charisma for Development. They are the Most Civilized among the 3 Major ethnic groups in Nigeria. They cook and Eat quality Food even though they produce low quantities of food Crops.

15 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by allthingsgood: 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
una de crase...mtschheeeew

6 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Samfloxin(m): 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
Britain na country?

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: Frederick Forsyth Seeks Nigeria’s Suspension From Commonwealth by Dre555: 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
The man must be a big nama for saying that

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obasanjo Launches Coalition For Nigeria Movement In Ogun / Tinubu Says Omo-Agege Will Be Governor Of Niger Delta State (Video) / Military Recaptures Abadam & Kills Dozens Of Insurgents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.