Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,955 members, 7,810,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 (39472 Views)

PDP Is Owing Me ₦30 Million - Deji Adeyanju / Dele Momodu: Doyin Okupe Is Owing Me $20,000 From 2015 Bet On Jonathan / Amosun is owing us 3 yrs Salaries , TASCE Workers Protest Over Unpaid Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by ijustdey: 2:06pm On Jun 27, 2023
On Friday, the Debt Management Office (DMO) published its quarterly debt report, stating that Nigeria’s total public debt — federal and state governments — hit N49.85 trillion at the end of the first quarter (Q1) of 2023.

The latest figure increased by N3.60 trillion from the sum of N46.25 trillion recorded at the end of December 2022.

Nigeria’s debt is divided majorly into external and domestic debt. The external debt is in four major categories (agreements): multilateral, bilateral, commercial, and promissory notes.

The multilateral category is the external debt burden to international financial institutions (IFIs) such as the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank, while the bilateral category represents money borrowed from other countries or governments.

CHINA IS NIGERIA’S LARGEST CREDITOR

According to the DMO, the five countries Nigeria is indebted to are China, France, Japan, India, and Germany.

The agency said Nigeria owes these five countries a total of $5.16 billion as at March, 2023, marking an increase of 2 percent compared to the $5.07 billion in December 2022.

In the quarter reviewed, DMO said Nigeria has borrowed $4.34 billion from China through the Exim Bank of China. The loan is 84 percent of the country’s total bilateral debt, implying that the Asian nation is Nigeria’s largest creditor.

In close proximity are France, with a $593.75 million loan to Nigeria through its Agence Francaise Development; and Germany ($144.75 million) through Kreditanstalt Fur Wiederaufbua.

Others are Japan’s $62.02 million, through the Japan International Cooperation Agency, and India’s $26.64 million, through the Exim Bank of India.

CAN CHINA TAKE OVER ASSETS IN NIGERIA IN THE EVENT OF LOAN DEFAULTS?

There has been strong opposition mounted against the federal government stemming from its incessant borrowings from China. With Nigeria’s increasing indebtedness to the Asian lender, it is believed that her sovereignty could be seriously impacted, in addition to the potential pressure that huge debt burdens often have on economies.

According to the African Development Bank, Chinese loans are considered as being less bureaucratic and more welcoming than their Western counterparts, but there are massive gaps in how these loans are structured, hence the concerns about the security of Nigeria’s assets.

On the question of whether China can take over assets in Nigeria in the event of a default, the DMO said Africa’s biggest economy usually plans for its debt servicing every year.

Also, the debt office said all external loans are reviewed by legal officers from the Federal Ministry of Justice, and the legal opinion of the attorney-general of the federation and the minister of justice is obtained before any external loan agreement is signed.

“Nigeria explicitly provides for debt service on its external and domestic debt in its annual budgets. In effect, this means that debt service is recognised and payment is planned for,” the DMO said.

“In addition, a number of the projects being (and to be) financed by the loans are either revenue generating or have the potential to generate revenue.”

https://www.thecable.ng/heres-how-much-nigeria-is-owing-other-countries-in-2023/amp

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by taylor89(m): 2:09pm On Jun 27, 2023
OP make people no gather for me and you oo

Which one is Nigeria

You no go call the people wey borrow money name you dey call Nigeria knowing fully well I’m inside Nigeria

You see me for China or India?

145 Likes 14 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by obi4eze(m): 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
grin
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by RingRoadMafia: 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
May this 49.85 Trillion Naira debt that Nigeria is owing without any hope of repayment favour me and my family 🤡

180 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by Tpave(m): 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
Nigeria is a chronic debtor. Just like Nigeria is also chronically corrupt grin grin

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
The Chinese are very smart! They have studied Africans and are buying into our lapses. Those guys are going to recolonize Africans with debt.

A time will come when we will be so hooked to them and will have nowhere to run to.

Free loans with mad terms! China will give you loan, and still execute projects with same loan, with its own Chinese company.

Let’s be truthful, Africans are dumb!

203 Likes 16 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by Jeezuzpick(m): 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
Otilo
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by sukkot: 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
grin awon onigbese

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by slawomir: 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
Damnnn niggar

We are still going to owe more

Where are those it will favour me and my family?

Electricity tariff on the high

Tertiary institution fee on the high

Price of fuel on the high

114 percent increase in the salary of elected politicians waiting to be approved by tinubu

Guess what POC every year have been introduced right about now....poc is proof of car ownership certificate of 1000 naira every year

We are still paying for vehicle license o

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by Atarakpa: 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
How much is Nigeria owning Abacha and families. Just asking for a friend.
For that china own, nah buhari dey own china not Nigeria.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by 1Alex: 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
Ok
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by tommykiwi(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
It will definitely increase because Baba never collect him money wen him use pursue the election.

15 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by rowosky(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
I think Nairaland has gotten broke.
Been getting some intrusive ads recently.
Too bad.
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Where are those it will favour me and my family?

Electricity tariff on the high

Tertiary institution fee on the high

Fake Slawormir.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by Racoon(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
This is courtesy of the most useless, clueless impactless, and directionless APC government ably led the catastrophic political class of 2015 - 2023 which the present progenitor promised to continue this same senseless legacy.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by HelinuesJobles: 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
This owing will favor me and my family

Helinues

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by Jubrilv(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
Hope dem never use me borrow money like this

2 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
May all politicians that raped our nation and took her 100 years back with blind looting and stealing never end well in life.
Including their supporters.
So shall it be as long as God lives....

How to move our Darling country forward...

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce number of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS e.g; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders.
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics.
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT.
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

With (1) + (2) Nigeria would pay a minimum wageof N65,000 comfortably.......
(3, 4 and 5 To be completed on another thread)

God bless Nigeria
We will get there.......

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by ednut1(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
Slavery and recolonization may happen again who knows

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by jeff1993: 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
Stuuupid cowntry!!!

Continue borrowing!!!.... E better make china take over the country sef make we rest

2 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by Brendaniel: 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
And you supported Buhari to borrow from them ruthlessly all because of Tinubu's ambition, should we call that smartness or the opposite?

SangoOlukosoOba:
The Chinese are very smart! They have studied Africans and are buying into our lapses. Those guys are going to recolonize Africans with debt.

A time will come when we will be so hooked to them and will have nowhere to run to.

Free loans to mad terms!

10 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by tollyboy5(m): 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
We borrowed loan to pay a lot of thieves in government, See the cost of government stupidly expensive. Corruption down to the local government chairman.

You need to see the rate at which nigeria steal on daily basis. The number of aspiring politicians who wan to steal are greater than the ones stealing. Make i just find way evade tax to some extent. No be me go follow una pay loan.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by ArewaNightmare: 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
grin BULABA 😆
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by TOPMAN4LIFE: 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Buhari has finished this country

4 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by Raskimonojendor: 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Lol.
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by MorataFC: 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Wahala×3 cheesy
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by AfonjaConehead: 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
coneheaded structures can be good citizens and mine some of their cones and pay the gbese grin
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by marksleek2584(m): 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Gbese re o!
Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by lawani: 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Dangote a private individual borrowed 18 billion dollars to build refinery with Nigerian petrol demand as collateral. Relatively, Nigeria is debt free and what is lacking is management

5 Likes

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by marlow1962(m): 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Very good, tinubu should borrow more, we are not tired yet.
Now tell me, what is that one thing all the money they borrowed from many foreign lapo agencies, what has it been used for that has affected your life in a POSITIVE way?
It's going to be a very big shame to the self acclaimed giant of Africa gets recolonized again, watch out e go soon happen. Abi you think china especially will tell you, oya take no need paying back.

I just hope we have started looking for Chinese name to attach to the one we already have,
Emmanuel chim yong emeka
Olaniyi wan tok chi Idris
Haha Omo e no go funny o

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Nigeria Is Owing Other Countries In 2023 by MRDEE01: 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Poor management has been nigeria's greatest problem.

Borrowing to squander, not borrowing to invest.

I hope the future administrations get it right

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Chris Ngige Blind? See These Photos Of The Minister At Dino's Book Launch / 2023: Why Peter Obi Is Gaining Momentum Fast? / Tosin Saraki's Wedding: Obasanjo, Patience Jonathan, Otedola, Dino Melaye Attend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.