Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,307 members, 7,829,735 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils (56301 Views)

#RevolutionNow: FG Discontinues Treasonable Felony Trial Against Sowore, Bakare / FG Excludes 26 Professional Bodies From 2024 Budgetary Allocations / Subsidy On Professional Bodies Removed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Emmaomotob(m): 4:56pm On Jun 29, 2023
J3susFr3ak:

But the UK is made up of well defined nations with well defined boundaries who have chosen to be a union. I have listened to the Scots bitterly deride the English and the English doing the same in return. Despite the differences they respect each other's boundaries and seem to think on a macro economic level--it is better for them to cooperate and be part of that union at the moment.

Nigeria needs that too. The only drawback is that in contrast to the Uk which has only 3 or 4 large homogeneous ethnic nations--Nigerian ethnic groups run into the hundreds. The crisis can still be averted if each ethnic group votes or chooses whom they want to align and be with then when they reach a certain size in population and area--they can present a common political and economic front.

It is easier developing competitive advantages from the ground up if each area is challenged to build their skills and resources for export**. That is better compared to the way everything is centralized in a very self-serving winner takes all model.

**Do you know how much pork China consumes every single year? They have humongous pig farms and yet those are not even enough for their population. Any Nigerian state or area that decides to rear quality pigs in the millions purely for Chinese export will have a very reliable foreign exchange earner thee.

The nationalists and communists fought brutal wars for decades over ideology. Today both Taiwan and China are doing well economically. It is the people, not the system that fails. Nevertheless, our present system is too centralized and encourages kowtowing and sycophancy and needs decentralization. But who will bell the cat? There are too many people enjoying the system as it is, as there is no injustice that people cannot bear as long as they are made to believe they have a voice (democracy). Corruption is too entrenched in the Nigerian system and only a group of forward thinking patriots can save the country. But is Nigeria a country to begin with? Even its constituent parts don't have well established historical recordings and thus a genuine sense of identity. Nigeria is a country that is ruled by people who knew when she was an infant and thus have no reverence for her. Nigeria is just an idea born out of need for organized and extremely profitable exploitation and handed over to those that look like us to continue exploiting for the British while being protected by western amunition. Peaceful transition of power is a farce. It is the system that determines the people. How can the people reform a system that doesn't belong to them and that was essentially created for ease of looting?
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by olawonder(m): 5:02pm On Jun 29, 2023
Tadeus:

Election period is over. I think it's time for all of us that voted for Tinubu, PO and Atiku comes together to face reality.

No sane government will vote to stop funding for professors. Most of you here don't know what this means in actual real world. It's insane. It means no more funding for research et Al.

President Tinubu should cut down the cost of governance first. Not just cutting down everything that poor masses benefit from.

You stop subsidizing fuel, good move kudos. What's next? Do we have more funding for education, health and infrastructures?

We should start asking the Tinubu government questions.

I will never support any government to stop funding for professors. My opinion

Which professors are you talking about? Professional bodies in Nigeria are mostly self-established in the era of military regimes as a copycat to what they saw in Western countries… in contrast, professional bodies in the West are greatly influential in policies making within govt, they do a lot of research and mostly source funds from private companies and individuals, govt contributions are very minimal to discourage corruption and inefficiency. Some of the researches bring about changes in environmental policy, economic development and new innovations in tech and infrastructure.

The same cannot be said about these mumu organisations in Nigeria, call any of these ‘professors’ to come and make public presentations on any new ideas that can change the lives of Nigerians positively, na you go switch off young tv in agony!

2 Likes

Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by highbee02: 5:05pm On Jun 29, 2023
Will this new policy affect the state ministries of Agriculture?
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by rummmy: 5:08pm On Jun 29, 2023
Did I see 2026?
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by oloriooko(m): 5:10pm On Jun 29, 2023
Read again but now with the thing between your ears

ppogba:

Your comment only succeeded in highlighting the quality and character of the three leaders.
One is timid because opposition resisted, Another is clueless and the other one is bold to dare where others could not.
Thank you for enlightening me.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Hespee93: 5:12pm On Jun 29, 2023
Likoya:
That's by the way.... cry
Please anybody who runs a Computer business center around Festac, like where they do jamb,WAEC, NECO, GCE, ARMY,NYSC and other online registrations, please I want to learn how to do those things...I don't mind working for you for free.. I type extremely fast(70-90 WPM without looking at keyboard), I also know how to use Ms word, Excel and Corel draw (to some good extent) I can also edit passports, do Lamination, e.t.c ... Just basically anything you do in a business center because I've worked in one before but I did not grab those registrations part and that is what I want to learn....If you're willing to take me, just quote me and I'll drop my phone number..

This is great step, please try to learn more about IT.

Porgramming but if you can't, tey to leanr the following. SPSS PeechTree Accounting, Revits.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by ppogba: 5:12pm On Jun 29, 2023
oloriooko:
Read again but now with the thing between your ears

Typical.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by EDOLUWA: 5:13pm On Jun 29, 2023
This is the bus stop Buhari and APC carry us reach oooo!!!! Congratulations
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Jman06(m): 5:16pm On Jun 29, 2023
baralatie:

Which pharmacy schools?
It is like you don't know the under number of pharmacist you have !
How many pharmacists even graduate talk less of been employed ,before you even talk about them getting into council.and the council was under government o!
Now they are on their own!
No wahala
You clearly don't know what you're talking about, sir. Most of the public universities in the country and a good number of private universities now have schools of Pharmacy. There's an increase in the number of Pharmacists being inducted into the council and it is very necessary for PCN to intensify their regulatory activities as doing so would help generate funds for the council and also create more job opportunities for the increasing number of Pharmacists in the country while promoting good health and quality of life of Nigerians.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Arapmoi22: 5:17pm On Jun 29, 2023
benjaminlawson:

Is it the people that champion the one they stop? So those people that champion and implement that one stopped should also champion and execute that of cutting the cost of governance and contract inflation, this is the main problem in our polity not subvention to professional bodies.

It Applies to you.
Go to your own Member of HOR and Senator.
Demand for any positive thing you want from government.
It is your right. They are your representatives.
We youths needs to know exactly where to look to demand anything we want.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by dandadee: 5:18pm On Jun 29, 2023
I am personally trying to figure what impact this would have in the medical sector.
No funding for residency programs.
Hospitals to employ only those they can pay.
Redundant staff will be purged.
Work load doubles or triples. Government jobs no longer lucrative. no free money.
Government hospital costs to compete with private hospitals.
Private hospitals will be king!
Interesting times ahead I must say.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by eteebanky1: 5:38pm On Jun 29, 2023
membranus:

Yes. All of them are generating huge revenue from members and students. What are they doing with it?

Yes, they generate revenue, what you don't know is that their revenue was subsidize by the FG, now that the subsidy is gone

During subsidy, WAEC fee was approximately #18,500..... Now that the subsidy is gone, get ready to pay through the nose for 0'level exams, guessing like #50,000 from 2025
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by GeneralPula: 5:39pm On Jun 29, 2023
FOOTSOLDIER2:
First time I have to admit that this move is commendable, all those agencies, professional bodies and all of them are all agent of corruption [b]but the big question is what happens to the Monies saved from eliminating these expenses? [/b]
Money saved?

FG do borrow money to fund them! Now, FG won’t have to borrow money anymore to fund them as from 2026!
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by J3susFr3ak: 5:45pm On Jun 29, 2023
Emmaomotob:
The nationalists and communists fought brutal wars for decades over ideology. Today both Taiwan and China are doing well economically. It is the people, not the system that fails. Nevertheless, our present system is too centralized and encourages kowtowing and sycophancy and needs decentralization. But who will bell the cat? There are too many people enjoying the system as it is, as there is no injustice that people cannot bear as long as they are made to believe they have a voice (democracy). Corruption is too entrenched in the Nigerian system and only a group of forward thinking patriots can save the country. But is Nigeria a country to begin with? Even its constituent parts don't have well established historical recordings and thus a genuine sense of identity. Nigeria is a country that is ruled by people who knew when she was an infant and thus have no reverence for her. Nigeria is just an idea born out of need for organized and extremely profitable exploitation and handed over to those that look like us to continue exploiting for the British while being protected by western amunition. Peaceful transition of power is a farce. It is the system that determines the people. How can the people reform a system that doesn't belong to them and that was essentially created for ease of looting?

I agree with you that when all things break loose, it is the people, not the system that fail. You gave good examples of the communists and nationalists from a Chinese context to infer that despite their differing systems, they are both thriving. So there must be something about the very people of China themselves and their nature to be able make any system work for them.

China's slight advantage too here is that they are mostly homogeneous Han Chinese -- and even here you still find very tragic stories about the Han Chinese trying to impose a Han hegemony over other subgroups (eg, the people from the Xinjian province, the Tibetans and the people from Inner Monogolia etc.,,) These minority subgroups within China have been forbidden from speaking or teaching their own native languages apart from Han Chinese or even dressing in a different way.

Some would still argue that even within the rivaling economic models--Taiwan's economy is much more sustainable and progressive compared to the way the CCP has been managing their economy (take a look at China Observer Youtube Channel etc.,)

I also agree with you too that the current system in Nigeria is too centralized--and the massive abuses and evil that can be done with such a model was taken to quite a climax by Buhari's dangerous policies. A lot of decentralization needs to happen but at the moment the states are broken into so many small non-viable pieces that you still need to have some kind of collective decision by certain states to decide if they would want to join together to create a new sub-region. That was the point I was going after in my last post.

With regards to the points about the how the British system keeps reaping from the current Nigerian structure as it is....I think you will be surprised that this is how Capitalism works. Billions of Dollars still flows from even developed economies like Canada, the United States and Australia to fund the British Pension Fund. For instance when there was a massive oil spill off the Gulf of Mexico that affected beaches in the US--UK owned ShellBP (I think) had to pay a massive compensation to the localities around those American beaches and it was said that would affect the taxes from their home governments that would have been used to fund the British Pensions.

A lot of land in Canada is said to be "Crown Land" (much to the anger of indigenous native people there). But I would dare say that the British Royal family still gets some royalty one way or the other from all these landed assets.

In a way, the Nigerian experiment was not so different from the Indian experiment with the British East India Company competing with the Dutch to have the biggest and richest trading companies of their time--for long periods of time--controlling whole nations. Overall, I would say the whole colonial adventure was a mixed bag--some good, with lots of bad. How the nation chooses to proceed is not the fault of the British anymore. The elites within the Nigerian system have to show their ability to be mature, sit down and negotiate a reasonable and peaceful decentralization. But greed will never allow them to.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by eteebanky1: 5:54pm On Jun 29, 2023
They should revisit this two exam bodies

WAEC AND NECO......in my state, the state government pays 0'level fees for thousands students yearly....... This policy will create more burden for the state governments paying waec and neco fees
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Coronavirus1: 5:55pm On Jun 29, 2023
What would be the government's role now if its only purpose is to misappropriate funds and engage in corruption, considering that these agencies no longer receive funding from the federal government? Perhaps we should transition to a regional government system where states generate their own resources and provide compensation to the federal government.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by ceejay80s(m): 5:58pm On Jun 29, 2023
2026 ?
Una no serious
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by membranus: 6:03pm On Jun 29, 2023
eteebanky1:

Yes, they generate revenue, what you don't know is that their revenue was subsidize by the FG, now that the subsidy is gone

During subsidy, WAEC fee was approximately #18,500..... Now that the subsidy is gone, get ready to pay through the nose for 0'level exams, guessing like #50,000 from 2025

Until that time comes I will believe you.

With this accountability in government finances can be relatively achieved, and opportunities for looting will be minimised.

Also it is time we masses feel the true pain so that we will call our government institutions to account, and maybe when the economic pains become enormous, we will eventually revolt and overcome our inbred apathy to our leaders' apparent disdain for our feelings.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by eteebanky1: 6:04pm On Jun 29, 2023
Coronavirus1:

What would be the government's role now if its only purpose is to misappropriate funds and engage in corruption, considering that these agencies no longer receive funding from the federal government? Perhaps we should transition to a regional government system where states generate their own resources and provide compensation to the federal government.

Which state can generate resources for theirself aside Lagos and rivers
State....... Lol bro, no go area
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Adanac(m): 6:04pm On Jun 29, 2023
Sometimes I wonder! some people thought it's was only petrol that was subsidized
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Emmaomotob(m): 6:09pm On Jun 29, 2023
J3susFr3ak:

I agree with you that when all things break lose, it is the people, not the system that fail. You gave good examples of the communists and nationalists from a Chinese context to infer that despite their differing systems, they are both thriving. So there must be something about the very people of China themselves and their nature to be able make any system work for them.

China's slight advantage too here is that they are mostly homogeneous Han Chinese -- and even here you still find very tragic stories about the Han Chinese trying to impose a Han hegemony over other subgroups (eg, the people from the Xinjian province, the Tibetans and the people from Inner Monogolia etc.,,) These minority subgroups within China have been forbidden from speaking or teaching their own native languages apart from Han Chinese or even dressing in a different way.

Some would still argue that even within the rivaling economic models--Taiwan's economy is much more sustainable and progressive compared to the way the CCP has been managing their economy (take a look at China Observer Youtube Channel etc.,)

I also agree with you too that the current system in Nigeria is too centralized--and the massive abuses and evil that can be done with such a model was taken to quite a climax by Buhari's dangerous policies. A lot of decentralization needs to happen but at the moment the states are broken into so many small non-viable pieces that you still need to have some kind of collective decision by certain states to decide if they would want to join together to create a new sub-region. That was the point I was going after in my last post.

With regards to the points about the how the British system keeps reaping from the current Nigerian structure as it is....I think you will be surprised that this is how Capitalism works. Billions of Dollars still flows from even developed economies like Canada, the United States and Australia to fund the British Pension Fund. For instance when there was a massive oil spill off the Gulf of Mexico that affected beaches in the US--UK owned ShellBP (I think) had to pay a massive compensation to the localities around those American beaches and it was said that would affect the taxes from their home governments that would have been used to fund the British Pensions.

A lot of land in Canada is said to be "Crown Land" (much to the anger of indigenous native people there). But I would dare say that the British Royal family still gets some royalty one way or the other from all these landed assets.

In a way, the Nigerian experiment was not so different from the Indian experiment with the British East India Company competing with the Dutch to have the biggest and richest trading companies of their time--for long periods of time--controlling whole nations. Overall, I would say the whole colonial adventure was a mixed bag--some good, with lots of bad. How the nation chooses to proceed is not the fault of the British anymore. The elites within the Nigerian system have to show their ability to be mature, sit down and negotiate a reasonable and peaceful decentralization. But greed will never allow them to.
The big question is, how do you have patriotic citizens? Mere cultural homogeneity does not explain this, else we would have genuinely successful regions in Nigeria. It would surprise you how many British citizens are willing to loot their country into oblivion. Humans are by nature very selfish and sadistic. A functional society is the product of centuries of failures, and generally blood sacrifice is necessary to make a nation. A child born into a nation that he knows his father or uncle paid the ultimate price for is more likely to be patriotic and self-sacrificing than one whose country was drawn on a piece of paper for maximum looting. In the same vein, there is nothing more dangerous for the formulation of a prosperous nation than a civil war, because of the bitter after effects and possibly of its further exploitation by unscrupulous politicians. It is identity that brings pride. Pride brings loyalty and desire for self-sacrifice. Self-sacrifice makes a nation great. What do Nigerians have to identify with? Without identity, no great nation is possible. Man is a psychological animal.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Likoya: 6:12pm On Jun 29, 2023
Mitsurugi:

Go to 21 Road I Close Festac Town. Ask for Femi at Lapaz Cyber Cafe
Bro you nor answer me again? cry I just wan know weda Na you be the pesin because I don't want to go to where somebody is not expecting me, make I no go dey like mumu for there...Incase them ask me who tell me make I come...
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Coronavirus1: 6:13pm On Jun 29, 2023
eteebanky1:

Which state can generate resources for theirself aside Lagos and rivers
State....... Lol bro, no go area
That is what you think every state will be serious after all Nigeria depends on Agricultural products before petrol take over and it was successful
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by engineerboat(m): 6:35pm On Jun 29, 2023
ppogba:

The councils DO NOT generate revenue for government sir.

Coren remmit into FG Account every, Incan Authoritatively say this to you.

I hoe you are not confusing NSE with COREN
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by engineerboat(m): 6:41pm On Jun 29, 2023
olawonder:

Which professors are you talking about? Professional bodies in Nigeria are mostly self-established in the era of military regimes as a copycat to what they saw in Western countries… in contrast, professional bodies in the West are greatly influential in policies making within govt, they do a lot of research and mostly source funds from private companies and individuals, govt contributions are very minimal to discourage corruption and inefficiency. Some of the researches bring about changes in environmental policy, economic development and new innovations in tech and infrastructure.

The same cannot be said about these mumu organisations in Nigeria, call any of these ‘professors’ to come and make public presentations on any new ideas that can change the lives of Nigerians positively, na you go switch off young tv in agony!

In Nigeria we onow what is good to do but we will never do

Most of this Regulatory or council are there for their pocket.

No innovation

They are mostly concerned about registration and annual practising payment.

After the payment you are on your own, whether you make the money or not nothing concerns them

1 Like

Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by abibun: 6:52pm On Jun 29, 2023
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by teemy(m): 6:57pm On Jun 29, 2023
Likoya:
Lagos, Festac

Heeya, waaay off my domot.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Mitsurugi(m): 7:09pm On Jun 29, 2023
Likoya:
Bro you nor answer me again? cry I just wan know weda Na you be the pesin because I don't want to go to where somebody is not expecting me, make I no go dey like mumu for there...Incase them ask me who tell me make I come...

08100569239 Femi
Please call him. He's an okay guy.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Likoya: 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2023
teemy:

Heeya, waaay off my domot.
Did you have to insult me?
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by Likoya: 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2023
Mitsurugi:

08100569239 Femi
Please call him. He's an okay guy.
On Thanks.
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by teemy(m): 7:17pm On Jun 29, 2023
Likoya:
Did you have to insult me?

domot - colloquial language for base/location
Heeya - an expresssion of regret
waaay - dragging the word 'way' to express emphasis
Re: FG Discontinues Funding Of Professional Bodies, Councils by JOemmy(m): 7:19pm On Jun 29, 2023
All the money that is going to be saved from this will still be definitely looted by tinibu and his gang the nigerian masses will never feel the impact.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Northern Youths Sack Of Igbos: Afenifere, MASSOB, ADC, IYM, Others React / COVID-19: Ganduje Rejects Kwankwaso’s Amana Hospital As Isolation Center / "BAKASSI BOYS" Return To Awka, Anambra State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.